2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

cordera89 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:When we recruit the top-flight guys, typically they commit and then change their mind once they get attention from the bigger schools, or they waste our time and end-up recruiting with another school anyways...we are gonna need to get diamonds in the rough, coach them up, and hope they exceed expectations. Might get one or two Eletise or Tilford a year.
I slightly disagree with the simplicity of the situation you've laid out. We aren't getting that much attention or commits at any point from the very top 5/4 stars (I guess Johnson last year, yes), the type who opt for SC, UCLA, Stanford from the get go. The bigger problem is more often the solid three stars who flip after we've spent so much time courting them. The three stars with solid offers should be forming the core of our signing classes, and in aggregate they make or break a program's roster. Consistently winning programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma State, and the Gary Pinkel Missouri teams make a living off of taking the Bill Parcell's approach and focusing on bettering the entire roster with solid contributors rather than getting caught up chasing the lightning in the bottle of the few 5 stars talents. Thing is - these programs then spent a lot of time developing these 3 star talents with red shirt programs and mentoring from established starters.

So there's two major problems with the current coaching staff's recruiting - 1) not getting a solid core of dependable 3 star talents and 2) not developing what they do sign.
Why don't you read these article before making a comparison to school that Arizona has no business being compare too and blaming thing on Recruiting.http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... chy-052517

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -jobs-1-65" target="_blank
Why don't you learn how to properly edit your sentence before dumping on my point.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:When we recruit the top-flight guys, typically they commit and then change their mind once they get attention from the bigger schools, or they waste our time and end-up recruiting with another school anyways...we are gonna need to get diamonds in the rough, coach them up, and hope they exceed expectations. Might get one or two Eletise or Tilford a year.
I slightly disagree with the simplicity of the situation you've laid out. We aren't getting that much attention or commits at any point from the very top 5/4 stars (I guess Johnson last year, yes), the type who opt for SC, UCLA, Stanford from the get go. The bigger problem is more often the solid three stars who flip after we've spent so much time courting them. The three stars with solid offers should be forming the core of our signing classes, and in aggregate they make or break a program's roster. Consistently winning programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma State, and the Gary Pinkel Missouri teams make a living off of taking the Bill Parcell's approach and focusing on bettering the entire roster with solid contributors rather than getting caught up chasing the lightning in the bottle of the few 5 stars talents. Thing is - these programs then spent a lot of time developing these 3 star talents with red shirt programs and mentoring from established starters.

So there's two major problems with the current coaching staff's recruiting - 1) not getting a solid core of dependable 3 star talents and 2) not developing what they do sign.
Why don't you read these article before making a comparison to school that Arizona has no business being compare too and blaming thing on Recruiting.http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... chy-052517

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -jobs-1-65" target="_blank
Why don't you learn how to properly edit your sentence before dumping on my point.
Did you even bother looking at those two link instead of Insulting me, because it seem you didn't. I going to ignore your response, Your point don't make sense when comparing Arizona to teams they have no business of being compare too, That first link will explain it, Recruiting, you need to stop pretending, Arizona will get some quality prospects but they wont get the best prospects, That where second link come in whether or not Arizona is a top recruiting job out of 65 P5 school. So don't try to insult me if you cant do the simple thing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cordy, you are justifying RR shitty recruiting by saying we are limited in some ways which is somewhat true but look at Adia Barnes in women's bball. She is signing studs and we have never been anything but mediocre in bball.

I know it's not apples to apples but come on man, RR is getting 75% of his guys where we beat out WAC and MWC schools.

We all want him to win but the middle to the end of the roster just wreaks
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Mike Price when at WSU went to 2 Rose Bowls with a really crappy stadium and other below average facilities, besides being out in the Palouse with crappy weather.

Even Mike Leach there went to 2 straight bowl games after going 9-4 and 8-5.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Mike Price when at WSU went to 2 Rose Bowls with a really crappy stadium and other below average facilities, besides being out in the Palouse with crappy weather.

Even Mike Leach there went to 2 straight bowl games after going 9-4 and 8-5.

Mike Riley was 93-80 at OSU while 6-2 in bowls. Recruiting kids to Corvallis is VERY hard.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:Cordy, you are justifying RR shitty recruiting by saying we are limited in some ways which is somewhat true but look at Adia Barnes in women's bball. She is signing studs and we have never been anything but mediocre in bball.

I know it's not apples to apples but come on man, RR is getting 75% of his guys where we beat out WAC and MWC schools.

We all want him to win but the middle to the end of the roster just wreaks
Is he really limiting his option on those he knows that will commit and wont commit to UA just because they were offer by G5 Schools.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

cordera89 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote: Why don't you learn how to properly edit your sentence before dumping on my point.
Did you even bother looking at those two link instead of Insulting me, because it seem you didn't. I going to ignore your response, Your point don't make sense when comparing Arizona to teams they have no business of being compare too, That first link will explain it, Recruiting, you need to stop pretending, Arizona will get some quality prospects but they wont get the best prospects, That where second link come in whether or not Arizona is a top recruiting job out of 65 P5 school. So don't try to insult me if you cant do the simple thing.
Yes, I did read the articles, particularly the fox sports link categorizing four different levels of recruiting expectations - Kings, Barons, Knights, & Peasants. If you interpreted my original point I was simply asking for a few more of the Baron/Knight level recruits which we absolutely do have business trying for. You're acting like I am expecting the King level recruits across the roster simply because I criticized spending so much time on recruits with only non-P5 offers.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

chiefzona wrote:2018 Bishop Gorman DE Adam Plant commits. Good pick for Arizona. Raw and needs work but good motor and good upside. Other teams will try to poach him and this is an early commit so there could be trouble.

Who is this chief guy? Oh well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh man you must be hurting from patting yourself on the back. Tough call that no one would see even with his pops being a USC guy and with an offer from Penn St and now Bama lurking.

Come on Chief, give it a rest already
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Oh man you must be hurting from patting yourself on the back. Tough call that no one would see even with his pops being a USC guy and with an offer from Penn St and now Bama lurking.

Come on Chief, give it a rest already

Actually, it was way too easy. Yes you are right it was very easy to see. What I'm hurting from is how easy RR is making this for me. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I like challenges and there's no challenge here. So who knows…… I might disappear in a sea of obscurity.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The commitments didn't come flying in like they usually do in the month of June. So I'm wondering, when the commitment start to fly in. It's a bit concerning.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not concerning at all. You are rabble rousing again. What kid would commit without seeing where our teams and RR is? His seat is jot and I am sure other coaches are using that against him.

This year will be what it will be. Either way we all win
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Maybe you should do just that and leave this one alone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All about him. Time to fulfill his dreams and allow him to find his OWN good football board. Make it so powers that be
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sure would be nice if every time this thread is bumped actually had some 2018 recruiting news.

But no surprise at all, seen this over and over again. RichRod gets a diamond in the rough, player gets noticed, the big boys come calling, the recruit bails.

Really getting tired of the best walk on program in the nation, along with too short and too small OKGs with big hearts.

Needs some young blood as HC, someone with the fire to recruit, build the relationships, and keep the recruits.

Love to see RichRod do the TV broadcasts though on the PAC-12 network, although ESPN or the other major sports networks would grab him in a second, especially since he will have $8M in the bank from Arizona, and not need to pay him a lot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote: Maybe you should do just that and leave this one alone.

I think you're spot on, Greg.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Not concerning at all. You are rabble rousing again. What kid would commit without seeing where our teams and RR is? His seat is jot and I am sure other coaches are using that against him.

This year will be what it will be. Either way we all win

There's nothing to rabble rouse. Surprising that you cannot figure that out. You actually answered it with your question. With some early commits in June, you can hope some hold on. The longer the recruits wait (into the season) they witness the dumpster fire and then no one jumps on the locomotive but NR, 2's, and menial 3's. Either way we all win what?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Sure would be nice if every time this thread is bumped actually had some 2018 recruiting news.

But no surprise at all, seen this over and over again. RichRod gets a diamond in the rough, player gets noticed, the big boys come calling, the recruit bails.

Really getting tired of the best walk on program in the nation, along with too short and too small OKGs with big hearts.

Needs some young blood as HC, someone with the fire to recruit, build the relationships, and keep the recruits.

Love to see RichRod do the TV broadcasts though on the PAC-12 network, although ESPN or the other major sports networks would grab him in a second, especially since he will have $8M in the bank from Arizona, and not need to pay him a lot.
Exactly Merk. Anyone have 9 mil laying around?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yepl I am definitely low brow but I can see a self promoting asshole. RR will be the story one way or another this year for sure
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Yepl I am definitely low brow but I can see a self promoting asshole. RR will be the story one way or another this year for sure

No. You're not low brow. You are who you are. There's nothing to promote. All about football and football talk during the Dog days of summer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So 2018 is 5 3 star recruits?

http://arizona.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:So 2018 is 5 3 star recruits?

They give 3 stars to anyone these days.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:So 2018 is 5 3 star recruits?

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different (better) results, perhaps this is a positive.

How has having a lot of mediocre to poor verbal commitments early worked out so far?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

A 5'8" RB from Texas with no rating and other offers Alabama A&M, Texas Southern, and Howard commits
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Plays in 6a division at Dawson, which is highest in Texas and was district offensive MVP. Offer list is lackluster for sure!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... rs-targets" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'M RECRUITING TEXAS WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?
ramcat wrote:Plays in 6a division at Dawson, which is highest in Texas and was district offensive MVP. Offer list is lackluster for sure!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... rs-targets" target="_blank
His QB has a funky delivery but a nice touch.

Smith doesn't seem to have breakaway speed, but seems pretty shifty.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CatsbyAZ wrote:A 5'8" RB from Texas with no rating and other offers Alabama A&M, Texas Southern, and Howard commits

The Texas pipeline has been tapped. May it flow like the Santa Cruz. :roll:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Santa Cruz used to flow year round
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Santa Cruz used to flow year round

Just like Arizona used to be a football school.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:A 5'8" RB from Texas with no rating and other offers Alabama A&M, Texas Southern, and Howard commits
So you only saw three non FBS schools but didn't bother seeing 5 FBS school that were also looking him? like Baylor, Illinois, Washington, Navy and Houston.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
So you only saw three non FBS schools but didn't bother seeing 5 FBS school that were also looking him? like Baylor, Illinois, Washington, Navy and Houston.

Just because they sent him a letter doesn't mean they're interested. If you don't have an offer, they aren't interested unless they're thinking of asking you to walk on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:

Did they both end in the 1940s?

Last UA sole FB championship in the Border Conference. No sole WAC or PAC championships.

However, when I was a student from 1981-5 UA was definitely a football school during the Snowden>Lindsey>Olson transition
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Last UA sole FB championship in the Border Conference. No sole WAC or PAC championships.

However, when I was a student from 1981-5 UA was definitely a football school during the Snowden>Lindsey>Olson transition

Indeed. A few times in Arizona's storied past it was a football school. I hope one day it can get back to that. Have to get a new coach first. One who doesn't throw coveted offers at a 5'8 170 pound back who runs a 4.5....you can find that right in your backyard and it's not a program changer. Ask him to walk on but to offer???? Complete garbage. This staff is done. Throw in the towel.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I was there 85-89 and have no memory of UA being a football school. We've never had truly sustained success in my lifetime as a fan. People tend to remember us as a football school because basketball wasn't dominant, but really we weren't terribly successful in the eighties. Just a bit above average.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Puerco wrote:
Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I was there 85-89 and have no memory of UA being a football school. We've never had truly sustained success in my lifetime as a fan. People tend to remember us as a football school because basketball wasn't dominant, but really we weren't terribly successful in the eighties. Just a bit above average.

67-40-6 was our record in the 80s. 42-30-5 in conference. 7-2-1 against ASU. 2-0-1 in bowl games.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In today's game, if not on probation Larry Smith's teams would have gone to 6 straight bowl games. Back then, the Cats played real teams too. Besides having Div IAA wins count only once every 4 years for bowl eligibility.

Compare that to the basketball team.

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I'm not holding my breath, but it will be interesting to see how Heeke does. Football, in spite of being such an important revenue sport, has languished through two ADs, Livengood and Byrne. C'mom Dave, give us a break already!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah Merk. Other than the comparison with the hoops program, not much to brag about. I suppose the nineties were pretty good though.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thinking about it, Cats couldn't even fill the stadium then. Remember picking up free tickets in the upper deck from Checker Auto Parts.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He rushed for 2150 all purpose yards and 20 touchdowns in one of the hardest divisions in Texas Football. Lack of offers probably due to size, but his tape was pretty good.

Tape:https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4597230/57 ... 6ad4a3c918
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

catinfl wrote:He rushed for 2150 all purpose yards and 20 touchdowns in one of the hardest divisions in Texas Football. Lack of offers probably due to size, but his tape was pretty good.

Tape:https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4597230/57 ... 6ad4a3c918
Yeah, I don't see this being such a bad addition. Stats that you mention are pretty solid. Offensive MVP in a strong division, read about good receiving skills, returning skills as well. Obviously dedicated in weight room, with impressive strength for his size, thought 4.5 was solid speed number typically, think JJ was 4.7 out of high school?
Again, if part of goal in recruiting was to re-establish Texas, don't think this guy is that bad a start. Sure he'll end up 3 star with his production. Appears to be near identical size to Samaje, and think he offers similar versatlity.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Pretty good GPA and SAT scores, seems to have good moves and good speed although some of those wholes were HUGE. I can appreciate any kid willing to give it a run at Arizona. I wish him the best. My main concern is he looks rail thin and I would be afraid of injuries after getting hit by a D1 d lineman or linebacker.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UALoco wrote:Pretty good GPA and SAT scores, seems to have good moves and good speed although some of those wholes were HUGE. I can appreciate any kid willing to give it a run at Arizona. I wish him the best. My main concern is he looks rail thin and I would be afraid of injuries after getting hit by a D1 d lineman or linebacker.
170 lbs. is not "rail thin" for someone 5'8" or 5'9".
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

MrMeow wrote:
UALoco wrote:Pretty good GPA and SAT scores, seems to have good moves and good speed although some of those wholes were HUGE. I can appreciate any kid willing to give it a run at Arizona. I wish him the best. My main concern is he looks rail thin and I would be afraid of injuries after getting hit by a D1 d lineman or linebacker.
170 lbs. is not "rail thin" for someone 5'8" or 5'9".
Legs look thin to me. What do I know?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Another Texas commit.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ery-195333" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

78th ranked player in the Dallas metro area. :?

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/201 ... 1499203508" target="_blank

Dockery (6-0, 185) is No. 78 in SportsDay's Area Top 100 recruiting rankings for the Class of 2018.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice class so far.
signed - Portland St.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Essentially tied with ASU, woo hoo!! Well ahead of UTAH and Stanford!!

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footba ... amRankings" target="_blank
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I wish these unrated Texas recruits counted as only a half scholarship