2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Puerco.....nice try. First of all, I see Miller as a B- coach and RR as a D in their respective fields. So, no comparison there. Recruiting in basketball is completely different to recruiting in football. If Arizona is an elite bball school....the school then recruits itself, right? You have to be a good position evaluator as a football coach at Arizona. Miller doesn't have to be that. He just throws calls and letters at stars. Doesn't work that way with Arizona football. Arizona football needs a strong recruiter/evaluator with complete West coast recruiting knowledge and know how. Then know how to develop those players with REAL S&C, coaching, and training. Also, no gimmick schemes or bs ZRO crap that cripples QBs decisions or takes too long to figure out and be competent in. Schemes that are used and known well so players can make quick transitions.
Rating Miller as a B- and RR as a D is one of the stronger arguments from RR I've heard in a while.

If you're that clueless about Miller and rate him down for...? maybe RR is better than I give him credit for.
Miller has yet to show anyone that he ranks among the elite. I believe he is a good coach but needs to be better in the areas he is lacking. I think he can win a natty and be elite. RR does some things very well like he did in the Big East but is not a good Power 5 HC because his weaknesses are glaring. I think he would make a good OC. Might be Saban's next OC.
This is a terrible take on Miller. Having a predicate requirement of a natty to be elite just doesn't work in basketball. Was Roy Williams not elite at Kansas? Is Kevin Ollie elite?

Saying he needs to improve on weaknesses is the least probing take ever. It starts with presumed weaknesses and then simply says he needs to get better in those areas.

Even your take on RR is silly. You dismiss WVa, then ignore that he has a higher winning percentage here than the average w/l% in program history. I've repeatedly talked about his program heading in the wrong direction, but he's actually produced better than average results even with the disaster last year. Plus, he took over after the Stoops losing jag, so it isn't exactly like he took over a situation where it was all going swimmingly.

I'll agree to disagree. WVA was not a Power 5 school when he was HC. So many of his wins are the OOC cupcakes. 3-11 against USC, UCLA, and ASU. 11-13 against the South. That is with his best teams. It's pathetic and embarrassing. He cannot recruit and the decline has shown that. He had Stoops OL and that helped him immensely. Once they funneled out of the program....decline because he could not recruit well enough to fill the void. RR is not good enough. It's very apparent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He coached at WVa when there were 6 BCS eligible conferences. Of the ex-Big East schools, five of the eight went P5 after the dissolution, and Cincy, UConn and USF are the remainders, and none are terrible.

He's been to three BCS bowls and won or tied for the conference championship 5 times. That is better than an average resume for a P5 coach.

And seriously, you're silly enough about RR that I would have been on board with firing him at the end of last year and I think you're being too hard on him. At least you tapped out on Miller.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Since UA joined the PAC, RR has slipped to third best overall winning % (55.4%) among UA coaches (at least 2 years as HC). Behind Tomey and Larry Smith.
RR has 4th best winning percentage in Conference games behind Tomey, Smith and Mason. RR is now slightly ahead of Stoops and of course Mackovic in conference winning percentage.

After 6 seasons Stoops won 23 conference games (Stoops 1st 2 years PAC only had 8 conference games). RR will need to go 4-5 this coming year in conference to stay even of Stoops in conference winning percentage after 6 seasons. If not, he falls to only being ahead of Mackovic in conference winning percentage since UA joined PAC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Back then too the Cats used to try and schedule one Power 5 school, one mid-major, and one patsy.

Don't think they played NAU every other year then too since you could only count a Div IA win once every 4 years for bowl eligibility, and there were less than half the bowls they have now.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm pretty sure ABOR mandated the Cats and Scum to schedule NAU in football every so many years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:I'm pretty sure ABOR mandated the Cats and Scum to schedule NAU in football every so many years.
True, but that is a relatively recent development.

I don't think they played each other once when I was a student from 1981 to 1985. Pacific was the patsy back then, along with Cal State Disneyland which was a huge baseball rivalry back then..
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Since UA joined the PAC, RR has slipped to third best overall winning % (55.4%) among UA coaches (at least 2 years as HC). Behind Tomey and Larry Smith.
RR has 4th best winning percentage in Conference games behind Tomey, Smith and Mason. RR is now slightly ahead of Stoops and of course Mackovic in conference winning percentage.

After 6 seasons Stoops won 23 conference games (Stoops 1st 2 years PAC only had 8 conference games). RR will need to go 4-5 this coming year in conference to stay even of Stoops in conference winning percentage after 6 seasons. If not, he falls to only being ahead of Mackovic in conference winning percentage since UA joined PAC.
Yeah. He was 1st in overall win % before last year. Last year took a toll in a lot of ways.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He coached at WVa when there were 6 BCS eligible conferences. Of the ex-Big East schools, five of the eight went P5 after the dissolution, and Cincy, UConn and USF are the remainders, and none are terrible.

He's been to three BCS bowls and won or tied for the conference championship 5 times. That is better than an average resume for a P5 coach.

And seriously, you're silly enough about RR that I would have been on board with firing him at the end of last year and I think you're being too hard on him. At least you tapped out on Miller.

He's doing this all to himself. His laziness and arrogance as well as surrounding himself with yes people and scared coaches has helped to cause his demise. Sorry, but good coaches do not neglect recruiting, have poor player development, and neglect defense. Here are his best options after this season....job at Foxsports.....OC at Alabama.....HC with a Conference USA team.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Couldn't imagine Saban hiring Rich Rod even if he offered to work for free. Which is saying something considering what tools Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian are. Brian Daboll is going to be there a couple years anyways. I can see him having some interest from CUSA/Sun Belt teams because of the offense, his defense is going to get him fired in those conferences too though eventually. He really should stick to television, it's the perfect world for him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He can go back to Tulane where it all started 20 years ago
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Running an up tempo offense is a Saber philosophy? That makes zero sense given he lobbied for rule changes to limit up tempo offenses

Give us Dino Babe's and let's call it a day
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Running an up tempo offense is a Saber philosophy? That makes zero sense given he lobbied for rule changes to limit up tempo offenses

Given us Dino Babe's and let's call it a day

Saban would make him pro style spread it a bit.

I'm not a Baber's fan at all. Like zero.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:So, I am in the full "RR is gone" and have tried to look around for possible replacement coaches that fit what Merkin described earlier. I'm having a hard time finding any coach this year that really fits it. Any thoughts? I know might be to early, but hey I'm trying to stay interested in Arizona Football over the summer.

Who's your top 5 if you're AD?
Man, I have no idea. Will need to do more searching, probably look at some guys on your list.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gabe Encinas, AZDS, with 5 Freshman who could make an impact.
5. Lucas Havrisik, kicker

4. Joshua Brown, middle linebacker

3. Colin Schooler, middle linebacker

2. Tony Fields, outside linebacker

1. Nathan Tilford, running back
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can Tilford block? That's probably the biggest reason true freshman RBs have a hard time getting on the field.

Just a few weeks ago we saw him makes three 60-yard field goals in a row.

Think most Div I kickers can do that on an open field since they don't have to worry about trajectory. Try it with 8' poles 7 yards in front of the kicker.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Well, looks like Chief's "abandon ship" call is coming good with Dudek gone. Shouldn't have any impact on the field except the team could take an "us against the world" and mentality and maybe surprise a few folks. Hard to keep that intensity up for a year, especially with the heat RR is gonna get in the media. It might just wear them down and they go an on slide where the only answer is to totally reboot the program. Should be an interesting drama to see played out. Beardown cabrones.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

So, I heard this morning that a receiver (whom the Cats need) is possibly transferring to a college in the ACC. Don't know if it is official. Also heard that RR had to win 6 this season or he's out. That came from way up high. Take it all FWIW. Just passing on rumblings. I really hope the transfer doesn't happen. It would smart pretty badly.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:So, I heard this morning that a receiver (whom the Cats need) is possibly transferring to a college in the ACC. Don't know if it is official. Also heard that RR had to win 6 this season or he's out. That came from way up high. Take it all FWIW. Just passing on rumblings. I really hope the transfer doesn't happen. It would smart pretty badly.
Let's Hope not for the transfer but congrats on hearing what we all know already.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'm not a fan of preseason watch lists. They're preseason and so many are included and named. Given how many are added to a watch list is a preaseason indicator of how some of the sportswriters and committees feel about UA roster and talent for upcoming season. Expect PAC12 media will have UA to finish last in South this week. Maybe a sleeper for 5th.

Think this year marks the fewest number named to a preseason watch list with lone named Nathan Eldridge (didn't include Alsadek as that was community oriented)under RR. Maybe fewest named from UA in a long time. Just two years from 2015:
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

WTF?!!! Seriously?!!!

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 4d036.html" target="_blank
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ramcat wrote:WTF?!!! Seriously?!!!

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 4d036.html" target="_blank
Here's the headline for those who can't click: Arizona Wildcats DE-LB DeAndre' Miller injures foot, will miss Pac-12 Media Days. Luca Bruno will replace Miller at media days.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dude makes Nick Wilson look like an ironman.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems like Miller has been on the team for 7 years and gets injured every year

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I heard Miller broke his foot running hoops (not basketball) breaking in his new cleats. My hope is that he is ready for Houston. He's likely to miss all of camp.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Miller is critical to this team's success.

4-8 or with some luck, 5-7.

Coaching change decided after Oregon game.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

carcassdragger wrote:Miller is critical to this team's success.

4-8 or with some luck, 5-7.

Coaching change decided after Oregon game.

Miller is not the difference between bowl or no bowl.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lack of depth at so many spots is staggering. It seems a few years ago we were loaded at WR. Now we are an injury away from being in big trouble

Remember when we actually trottted out Richards, Austin Hill and Caleb Jones
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah from like 2011-2015 we always had guys that could produce at wr...but not now. Still not as bad as the depth and talent at dl and lb

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Lack of depth at so many spots is staggering. It seems a few years ago we were loaded at WR. Now we are an injury away from being in big trouble

Richards and Hill were recruited by Stoops and Jones was a transfer from Texas.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah from like 2011-2015 we always had guys that could produce at wr...but not now. Still not as bad as the depth and talent at dl and lb

What QB is going to be able to get them the ball?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Lack of depth at so many spots is staggering. It seems a few years ago we were loaded at WR. Now we are an injury away from being in big trouble

No shit.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

No shit.

Kind of sucks, huh?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, so many holes on this roster. Just sad sad sad. Next coach is really going to have his work cut out for him. Might be the most important hire In AZ football history
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Yep, so many holes on this roster. Just sad sad sad. Next coach is really going to have his work cut out for him. Might be the most important hire In AZ football history

Yet there are still people saying that RR is the man. I agree with what you said and you might be dead on there. Might be the most important hire in AZ football history'.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Yep, so many holes on this roster. Just sad sad sad. Next coach is really going to have his work cut out for him. Might be the most important hire In AZ football history
If the next coach isn't right and can't turn it around...then we're doomed to be a bottom feeder for quite a while.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilder of course used to cover the Cats for one on the Tucson papers.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Wilder of course used to cover the Cats for one on the Tucson papers.

Legit. I have the same picks except switching 3 and 4 around in both south and north.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:Wilder of course used to cover the Cats for one on the Tucson papers.

Legit. I have the same picks except switching 3 and 4 around in both south and north.
I like it, picked dead last. :lol:

The human highlight reel will have something to say about that. Obviously staying relatively healthy will be critical and we're fucking due for all the horrors we've been cursed with. A healthy backfield (JJ) in particular, utilize the Denker roadmap and the offense will be highly productive. Also, Wilner is kidding himself if he thinks the huskies are taking the title from sc. Not a chance!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

South

USC
Utah
UCLA
Colorado
Arizona
asu (their schedule is incredibly tough to start the year, they give up half way through)

North

Washington
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California

USC over Washington in title game
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

usc
ucla
utah
colorado
asu
arizona

wash
stanford
oregon
wazzu
osu
cal

usc beats wash
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not this tired line again.

h
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Ugh this season is going to be rough.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Not this tired line again.

h

Dudek never left. :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

h
Hang the banner!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

h
Maybe we should stop giving out scholarships. I mean, we are the Harvard of Southeast Arizona...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?