Arizona Uniform Combo Tracker

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Arizona Uniform Combo Tracker

Post by Chicat »

This iteration for Arizona is an improvement over the previous one, but....
*weird boner*
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I thought this was uniform discussion chief. And according to you he should have been gone before 2014 since you are so smart and see everything three years before everyone else.

Sure...ya uniforms are so fun. I would have never hired him yet good old GB did and then left Tucson in his rear view mirror while the football program burned. RR is one of a small handful of HCs that actually never got recruiting in any aspect. It's pathetic and scary. Now, about those coveted uni's.....the red block A on blue helmet is cool. Ok..,,uni take. Yay me and yay team.
Seems like it is pretty much always Yay you.
Yay to you and all the other posters on this board. Keep posting strong! Keep those uni takes coming!
Why are you up in the uniform thread complaining about the uni takes?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I thought this was uniform discussion chief. And according to you he should have been gone before 2014 since you are so smart and see everything three years before everyone else.

Sure...ya uniforms are so fun. I would have never hired him yet good old GB did and then left Tucson in his rear view mirror while the football program burned. RR is one of a small handful of HCs that actually never got recruiting in any aspect. It's pathetic and scary. Now, about those coveted uni's.....the red block A on blue helmet is cool. Ok..,,uni take. Yay me and yay team.
Seems like it is pretty much always Yay you.
Yay to you and all the other posters on this board. Keep posting strong! Keep those uni takes coming!
Why are you up in the uniform thread complaining about the uni takes?

I'm all about the uni's. :lol:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The unis are kind of growing on me some. I'd never call em ideal or really awesome, but I'm liking them more as I look at then some more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:This iteration for Arizona is an improvement over the previous one, but....
*weird boner*
Yeah, Cal's are better than ours. Ours don't suck any more, and they're growing on me, but Cal has a really nice, clean look.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Pop quiz: RichRod is to Chief as UCLA is to <blank>?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Puerco wrote:Pop quiz: RichRod is to Chief as UCLA is to <blank>?
RichRod is to Chief as UCLA is to any program trying to cover its problems and insecurities by pointing at UCLA?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Black with red accents and a red A on a black helmet would have been killer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
The only UofA hat I sport is black and I constantly get approached by fellow alums asking where I bought the hat? I've always been a cheerleader for a black Arizona uni. Recruits would dig it, Rich must not care what potential recruits want.

Great!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Black with red accents and a red A on a black helmet would have been killer
The gray was so nice with the USS Arizona uniform, if we have an alternate color, I'd like a return of that. The gray jersey and red pants looked great.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
azgreg wrote:
The only UofA hat I sport is black and I constantly get approached by fellow alums asking where I bought the hat? I've always been a cheerleader for a black Arizona uni. Recruits would dig it, Rich must not care what potential recruits want.

Great!

The walkons don't give a shit what they wear. They're happy that they're playing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:The only UofA hat I sport is black and I constantly get approached by fellow alums asking where I bought the hat? I've always been a cheerleader for a black Arizona uni. Recruits would dig it, Rich must not care what potential recruits want.

Great!
Or, stay with me here, he thinks that the team should wear their school colors.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we should wear the USS AZ Uni's every homecoming
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
Sid wrote:The only UofA hat I sport is black and I constantly get approached by fellow alums asking where I bought the hat? I've always been a cheerleader for a black Arizona uni. Recruits would dig it, Rich must not care what potential recruits want.

Great!
Or, stay with me here, he thinks that the team should wear their school colors.
True. However, I think one home game to just give it a shot wouldn't hurt. A certain Johnny Cash intro song would be fucking sweet with those black unis too!

;)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

No black unis. Please.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I... I like the no stripe pants and helmets now. The number font is still too West Virginia-y.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
The pictures look sharp.

I get that they want to players more involved but I liked when fans announced the uniform combinations a few years ago.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Just one thing to say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Axwasz ... Dw&index=1" target="_blank
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Footballjunkie wrote:Just one thing to say:
prh

Post by prh »

Personally, I'd never want black uniforms for anything, but especially not for an outdoor sport where we could somehow/accidentally end up wearing them during the day.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

vs NAU, 2 Sept 17, white, red, white.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They should wear the USS AZ tribute uni's this week unless Houston will be wearing something
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:They should wear the USS AZ tribute uni's this week unless Houston will be wearing something
It's our best look. Not by Nike, BTW.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why would we wear one-off Pearl harbor 75th anniversary commemorative uniforms in 2017 against Houston?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm with hater here. That was a one time deal and Hawaii was the perfect team to wear them for. My guess for this weekend is B/B/W.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well let's not make them a one time deal. The bell doesn't toll only once but everyday. Let's pay tribute each year to those brave men.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I say wear them the closest home game to Vet's day every season, like Da Bears used to do with the Orange jerseys for Halloween for a bit. Can adjust the uniforms to not be the 75th anniversary but still a great tribute to the USS Arizona.

Agree azgreg with BBW this weekend.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Why would we wear one-off Pearl harbor 75th anniversary commemorative uniforms in 2017 against Houston?
Because they're awesome.

A simpler solution would be to keep the basic template, tweak it into a "military appreciation" uniform and roll it out more regularly. It was a great uniform to look at, so why not have it recur? It's light years ahead of our other unis.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean I love them but they are grey, which isn't a school color. They were perfect for what they were designed for and that's it.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:I mean I love them but they are grey, which isn't a school color. They were perfect for what they were designed for and that's it.
Because we're really killing it with the school colors lately?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well yeah, all of our football uniforms have been official school colors except the Pearl harbor ones. we're not ASU with black and grey. And no, a 2 inch stripe of reddish purple doesn't count as something to whine about.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tie it in with a military appreciation day and sell $5 tickets to the airmen of Davis Monthan
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well yeah, all of our football uniforms have been official school colors except the Pearl harbor ones. we're not ASU with black and grey. And no, a 2 inch stripe of reddish purple doesn't count as something to whine about.
Yeah, and the Pearl Harbor unis have easily been the best looking since we introduced gradient.

Point being, why not ride with the design that looks much better than the last two redesigns we"ve had? Go with what works.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I saw the new uni's in the bookstore last week - they are much better than the last several seasons. So there's that.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Well yeah, all of our football uniforms have been official school colors except the Pearl harbor ones. we're not ASU with black and grey. And no, a 2 inch stripe of reddish purple doesn't count as something to whine about.
Yeah, and the Pearl Harbor unis have easily been the best looking since we introduced gradient.

Point being, why not ride with the design that looks much better than the last two redesigns we"ve had? Go with what works.
The ones we have work just fine. No reason to ditch our school colors for a random one off jersey that only made sense for one game.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The ones we have work just fine. No reason to ditch our school colors for a random one off jersey that only made sense for one game.
We went from sucky to average. The USS Arizona looked great and a military tribute is always timely. The Veteran's Day idea above works fine.

The gradient was so terrible that we ignore that the new uniforms are pretty meh. We have a winner uniform, and because it involves gray, we shouldn't use it? Heck, I'd go full Oregon if Nike would subsidize it. We don't have a classic tradition enough to get uppity.

It's not like ASU adding new colors to the school. It's a design accent, nothing more.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I couldn't read the fucking numbers when we played the NAU game. How the hell complicated is it to outline the god damn numbers with a white pipeline? Why is this an issue?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm coming in with a room temperature take.

I don't get the big deal w the USS Arizona unis. Besides the gray specialized Jersey and a different sticker (although bigger) on the helmet, they're entirely the same from the normal white helmet, white jersey, red pants uni combo (with or without the stripes).

The problems w the uniforms is the fonts and lack of outlines. Oh and the ever present small size of the helmet sticker problem. And maybe adding back stripes.

This obviously excludes the military appreciation aspect of it. Which is great. I'm just talking aesthetics. Most of the military aspect of the uniforms, you can't even see during live game play.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

For me the unis were all about the story and the tribute. That's why I think they should be a one time deal. The more you use them they lose their meaning.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

So ChooChoo is the second one I've seen that wants the numbers outlined in white for readability... but I'm all the way up in 201 and for the first time in a long time, I can read the numbers clearly without the outlines. I wondered what the difference would be, so I did a quick 'n' dirty Photoshop job to see.

I'm partial to no outlines myself, but that's just me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

UH has the red chrome domes too. would have preferred more blue in the UA uniform, but no big deal, just going to be a lot of red out there.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Here's a little more tinkering. Some people might really like this concept.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpenguin wrote:So ChooChoo is the second one I've seen that wants the numbers outlined in white for readability... but I'm all the way up in 201 and for the first time in a long time, I can read the numbers clearly without the outlines. I wondered what the difference would be, so I did a quick 'n' dirty Photoshop job to see.

I'm partial to no outlines myself, but that's just me.
For me, the new uniforms seem brighter and easier to read. I legit had trouble with the red numbers on blue unis on our previous set. I do think the lack of outlining creates an issue. Syracuse's blues always gave me an issue too:

My personal thought is that rather than the dumb copper helmets, if you want to shout out copper, a subtle copper number outline would be nice. I think it could be done so that it didn't distract, but was a subtle touch.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Houston is going to be in all white tomorrow night.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Thought the unis looked very clean this week. Not ready to say sharp, but I'll give clean. Still not a fan of the shoulder stripes, but they're much better than in recent years. I'm also not a fan of any red/blue blue/red jersey/pant combination. Just don't like the look, especially with the whiffy number font and colors. Would much prefer a strong traditional block-style number font. Blue jersey with white numbers outlined in red and white jersey with blue number outlined in red. I could probably do without the red jersey altogether - although azpenguin's photoshop above with the white outline around the blue number is a big improvement I think.

I liked the metallic red helmet. Still a lot to be desired in the uni design, but better overall.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

vs Houston, 9 Sept 2017, red chrome, blue, red.