Houston @ Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Houston @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by Puerco »

dc4azcats wrote:Thanks guys.
Welcome back.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Always good to have some old time well respected football posters back! Additional well thought out insights are always welcome!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Houston 37
Arizona 31
Laugh out loud!! I wonder what Chief would be saying if this was Arizona's first game of the year, on the road with a new staff, playing against a team that already has a game under it's belt? There's a reason why teams have a big improvement from week one to week two. Especially true when you have a young D that is finding it's way. Being able to watch the film and see what reads they missed etc is so invaluable.

That said, I'm not sure we can win 4 games with Dawkins as our QB.
A lot of mistakes on the OL and defense. I agree with your 4 wins and Dawkins comment. But he is the best QB on the roster. That shows the futility of RR. It's great to have you back. I was getting worried. If you still have my number, text me....let's get a beer and catch up. You've always been my favorite.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 31
Laugh out loud!! I wonder what Chief would be saying if this was Arizona's first game of the year, on the road with a new staff, playing against a team that already has a game under it's belt? There's a reason why teams have a big improvement from week one to week two. Especially true when you have a young D that is finding it's way. Being able to watch the film and see what reads they missed etc is so invaluable.

A lot of mistakes on the OL and defense. I agree with your 4 wins and Dawkins comment. But he is the best QB on the roster. That shows the futility of RR. It's great to have you back. I was getting worried. If you still have my number, text me....let's get a beer and catch up. You've always been my favorite.
What is it about Rod Smith that he can't teach a QB to throw a football accurately?
He's 1 for whatever, if you count Matt Scott.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 31

How can you say he's the best QB? The best throw by a QB all night was the throw Tate made to TJ that should've been a TD. Dawkins doesn't sit in the pocket long enough for a WR to run a deep route. Not to mention that Dawkins can't read a D to save his life so he's never going to go through his progressions and pickup the mismatch. Dawkins would look at the sidelines for the play then immediately clap his hands for the snap. He didn't even pretend to read the D. Audibles? Move his RB from one side to the other? The next time Dawkins does either will be the first time. Dawkins doesn't even read the DE which is mind boggling to me. Give me Rhett over Dawkins as Rhett can at least read the D and and he reads the DE on the read option.

I think Tate is a lot like Foles in that he doesn't practice well but, when the lights come on he's ready to go. Dawkins is going on 4 years into the RR system and still can't do the simplest of reads which is the DE. Mind boggling to me. Yet RR keeps rolling him out there. The offense has no rhythm whatsoever and against good competition they will take away the run and frustrate Dawkins. How long will RR wait to make a move will be interesting to watch.

Anybody else notice that Dawkins had a completion rate of 53.8% on Saturday night? I mention that because it's the same completion percentage that he had for all of LY. Coincidence? I think not. I think he's a barely above 50% passer and that's not going to win us many games at this level.

Houston with one very good DE is not that big of a deal in my mind as you can easily run away from him and or line the TE up on his side and constantly chip him and or double him. I go back to all the great DL that Utah had and even UW the last couple of years - neither team stopped RR from running the ball successfully.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 31

What is it about Rod Smith that he can't teach a QB to throw a football accurately?
He's 1 for whatever, if you count Matt Scott.
I'm pretty sure that if the decision was up to Rod Smith, Tate would be starting over Dawkins.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tate should be the guy but man he gets dinged up all the time. Dawkins throwing motion is just not conducive to being a great passer.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tate is only 18, with a year under his belt. Has to see the field to get better.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:
that didn't take long
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Whoever picked the O/U on Wilson getting hurt being 1 would probably not be in a small minority.

At least K Tate is off the list.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Only had 8 carries... jeez. Nathan Tilford better be ready.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 31

How can you say he's the best QB? The best throw by a QB all night was the throw Tate made to TJ that should've been a TD. Dawkins doesn't sit in the pocket long enough for a WR to run a deep route. Not to mention that Dawkins can't read a D to save his life so he's never going to go through his progressions and pickup the mismatch. Dawkins would look at the sidelines for the play then immediately clap his hands for the snap. He didn't even pretend to read the D. Audibles? Move his RB from one side to the other? The next time Dawkins does either will be the first time. Dawkins doesn't even read the DE which is mind boggling to me. Give me Rhett over Dawkins as Rhett can at least read the D and and he reads the DE on the read option.

I think Tate is a lot like Foles in that he doesn't practice well but, when the lights come on he's ready to go. Dawkins is going on 4 years into the RR system and still can't do the simplest of reads which is the DE. Mind boggling to me. Yet RR keeps rolling him out there. The offense has no rhythm whatsoever and against good competition they will take away the run and frustrate Dawkins. How long will RR wait to make a move will be interesting to watch.

Anybody else notice that Dawkins had a completion rate of 53.8% on Saturday night? I mention that because it's the same completion percentage that he had for all of LY. Coincidence? I think not. I think he's a barely above 50% passer and that's not going to win us many games at this level.

Houston with one very good DE is not that big of a deal in my mind as you can easily run away from him and or line the TE up on his side and constantly chip him and or double him. I go back to all the great DL that Utah had and even UW the last couple of years - neither team stopped RR from running the ball successfully.

Dawkins is the best QB right now. I personally would rather have Tate as QB. But all of them wouldn't even get a sniff at Oregon State. It's garbage for year 6 and time for RR to pack his bags. Houston's D has more that just a DE buddy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

azpenguin wrote:Only had 8 carries... jeez. Nathan Tilford better be ready.
We have someone else that will be ready.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Eerily similar to last year Sid. Wilson goes out and Taylor steps up only to be squashed by a behemoth of a defensive tackle
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Sid wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Only had 8 carries... jeez. Nathan Tilford better be ready.
We have someone else that will be ready.
Oh, Taylor will get the bulk of the carries but RR is going to want to split the workload. If Wilson is out then Tilford is probably the #2 back.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

For the life of me I don't understand why they run Taylor up the middle. We need to get him the ball in the open field. Also don't know why we called so many run plays against NAU, even when we were ahead. We need to get our QB's as many pass reps as possible and NAU was probably our only low risk chance for that.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 31

Dawkins is the best QB right now. I personally would rather have Tate as QB. But all of them wouldn't even get a sniff at Oregon State. It's garbage for year 6 and time for RR to pack his bags. Houston's D has more that just a DE buddy.
I keep hearing about Houston's D and I found it interesting looking at who they played LY? They played at Navy, and would you believe that Navy ran the ball 63 times for 306 yards. Oh, Navy also put up 46 points and won that game. Interesting that a team that couldn't throw the ball and everybody knows that they run the ball (sound familiar?) and yet they put up 306 rush yards, which was by far the most anybody put up on the Houston D LY. Going into the Navy game, Houston was giving up only 42 rushing yards a game. They got beat on roll out read options where the QB made a couple of big throws. They also got beat on just plain old option run plays.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

One more quick note, Navy only threw the ball 5 times. But, they completed 3 of those passes and of the 3 completions, 2 were TD's.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Different HC and DC now plus 4 new starters on defense. Different year and Arizona is not Navy.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Navy doesn't have Dawkins. :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Different HC and DC now plus 4 new starters on defense. Different year and Arizona is not Navy.
They have one game under that new HC and got beat soundly by SDSU.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:Different HC and DC now plus 4 new starters on defense. Different year and Arizona is not Navy.
That is so weak! Is that really all you have? Major was with Houston LY and coached them in their bowl game.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
That is so weak! Is that really all you have? Major was with Houston LY and coached them in their bowl game.

You're the one saying Arizona wins 4. So, this is #2 of the 4 wins? What's the other 2? CAL? OSU?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:

That SDSU team would've soundly beat Arizona. What's your point?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:
We'll find out tomorrow. For now, your speculation and his are fairly equal.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Their head coach is not a new coach and I don't think they are not as talented as they were last year.

P.S. You asking someone for their point is damn hilarious.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Their head coach is not a new coach and I don't think they are not as talented as they were last year.

P.S. You asking someone for their point is damn hilarious.

I would call a HC with one game under their belt....a new HC. He's definitely not old. I'm glad I made you laugh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

After seeing those stats for the Houston Navy game I am liking Arizona's chances a lot more.

Arizona is not Navy and runs differently but Arizona has more football talent with every unit on offense to Navy.

Boom
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:After seeing those stats for the Houston Navy game I am liking Arizona's chances a lot more.

Arizona is not Navy and runs differently but Arizona has more football talent with every unit on offense to Navy.

Boom
I'm with you here. I'm still not sure what's going to happen, but I'm liking our chances more and more.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:After seeing those stats for the Houston Navy game I am liking Arizona's chances a lot more.

Boom
I'm with you here. I'm still not sure what's going to happen, but I'm liking our chances more and more.
Me too. Arizona also has more football talent than SDSU, and although a decent coach, there is nothing special about Rocky Long. I'm encouraged.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Boom
Different HC, OC, and DC in that game. Also, there are some different players on both sides of the ball. So, Houston is different than that team. We can only speculate. Arizona definitely has a good chance of winning. We'll see what happens tomorrow night.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Vegas insider has Houston -1...I think earlier in the week it was -2.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:Vegas insider has Houston -1...I think earlier in the week it was -2.

Sep 3 it was -6, so it's moved 5 points in 5 days.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Anyone have a couple extra cheap tix?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

chiefzona wrote:
UALoco wrote:Vegas insider has Houston -1...I think earlier in the week it was -2.

Sheesh. Didn't see the -6. Who in the F are these people? I'm guessing they didn't watch that first game. Whatever though, it gives me hope.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

threenumberones wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Sheesh. Didn't see the -6. Who in the F are these people? I'm guessing they didn't watch that first game. Whatever though, it gives me hope.
AZgreg quoted -2 on 9/3..first post in the thread.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Anyone have a couple extra cheap tix?
Tons under $15 on Stubhub, even some under $10 if you want.

https://www.stubhub.com/arizona-wildcat ... qtyq=false" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

AZgreg quoted -2 on 9/3..first post in the thread.

On sep 3rd at 1:24pm the line started at -6. By 2:46pm on Sep 3rd it moved to -2
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:On sep 3rd at 1:24pm the line started at -6. By 2:46pm on Sep 3rd it moved to -2
Where? The largest number at Vegas Insider was Caesars at -5 but it went to -1 in minutes.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... me/2230#BT" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was chiefs line :)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last years Houston/Navy game.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:

Boom
Different HC, OC, and DC in that game. Also, there are some different players on both sides of the ball. So, Houston is different than that team. We can only speculate. Arizona definitely has a good chance of winning. We'll see what happens tomorrow night.
You're so full of crap! Major Applewhite was the OC at Houston for the last two years before he got the HC gig. I guess you can say "new OC" when the "old OC" is now the HC. Honest to God, how much change do you think Major is going to let the new OC change things? Exactly. Houston returns 7 starters on D and the new DC was brought in to run the same D. Does he tweak some things? I'm sure but he's committed to run the same D. Other than that you were spot on as usual.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

You're the one saying Arizona wins 4. So, this is #2 of the 4 wins? What's the other 2? CAL? OSU?
If Dawkins hasn't improved and or IF dawkins is our QB the whole season then I think 4 games is the right number. I heard some things over the last 24 hours that could change my mind on 4 games. Obviously tomorrow is a big game and will decide a lot in regards to the rest of the season. I also don't think Dawkins will be our QB all season if he can't complete better than 54% of his passes. Again, tomorrow will say a lot as to where he is in that regard.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

If Dawkins hasn't improved and or IF dawkins is our QB the whole season then I think 4 games is the right number. I heard some things over the last 24 hours that could change my mind on 4 games. Obviously tomorrow is a big game and will decide a lot in regards to the rest of the season. I also don't think Dawkins will be our QB all season if he can't complete better than 54% of his passes. Again, tomorrow will say a lot as to where he is in that regard.

Tate isn't much better right now. The QBs are garbage. A lot of RR's offense relies on the QB play as you know. Even I said 5 games this season, DC. Tomorrow will tell us what's up with tomorrow.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:I heard some things over the last 24 hours that could change my mind on 4 games.
Change that four to a higher or lower number?