2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are trash
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

How many throws made to the TEs in the first game. Not shocked.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

4 wins
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fire RR
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And we lose backup/potential starting QB to injury for indefinite period.

Tonight's as good as it gets this season IMHO.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Honestly how fucking hard is it to recruit a QB who can throw a ball? You should stoop upon one at least on accident at this point.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Recruiting mistakes going on 5 years.

Fire rR
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Nvm
Last edited by OSUCat on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I saw absolutely nothing tonight that showed any improvement from last season. The RR experiment worked for a couple years but is now an abject failure. On defense we'd barely compete in any FCS league. It's just simply time for a regime change.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Thought I would watch the NAU game last night just to see how the kids looked. That is my normal interest in the RR out of conference/cupcake fest. The win/loss ratio is secondary to me at this point of the season. I just want to see what the team is all about.

In a nutshell, this team is awful, just really bad. A few individual bright spots, but a collective PAC 12 disaster waiting to happen.

Now looking forward to seeing who will replace RR. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Heeke already has his dance card penciled in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I was really disappointed in the secondary. They couldn't cover my grandmother. I guess when you don't go up against a competent passer in practice you've got no shot in an actual game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
Now looking forward to seeing who will replace RR. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Heeke already has his dance card penciled in.
Does anybody think we should go after an established coach or retread coach any more? I honestly think Arizona should solely focus on hiring up and coming coordinators from this point on. Namely to save money due to the numerous facility upgrades that we have to pay for, but namely I'm of the opinion that younger is better in recruiting.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't know about just coordinators, but no retreads or any new coaches over age 45. Need a coordinator or small school coach on their 30s or early 40s

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I'm hoping the performance can be chalked up to facing a FCS opponent, and came out flat...Probably unrealistic. Passing and defense are issues. I was shocked on defense, the NAU line created some big holes.

Can we get the NAU qb as a transfer? Guy was walking over the defense a large portion of the game.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't know about just coordinators, but no retreads or any new coaches over age 45. Need a coordinator or small school coach on their 30s or early 40s
Sorry, no absolutes for this armchair AD. Does the name Pete Carroll ring a bell? How about Chris Petersen? Even Mike Leach, who has done a pretty good job on the dry (read, remote) side of Washington. We need a coordinator? Ya mean like Mike Stoops? No absolutes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I was really disappointed in the secondary. They couldn't cover my grandmother. I guess when you don't go up against a competent passer in practice you've got no shot in an actual game.
Good point about practice.

The DBs were supposed to be only defensive position that was supposed to be PAC-12 good.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I don't know about just coordinators, but no retreads or any new coaches over age 45. Need a coordinator or small school coach on their 30s or early 40s
Sorry, no absolutes for this armchair AD. Does the name Pete Carroll ring a bell? How about Chris Petersen? Even Mike Leach, who has done a pretty good job on the dry (read, remote) side of Washington. We need a coordinator? Ya mean like Mike Stoops? No absolutes.
I literally just said we don't need just a coordinator. Go back and read my post again.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My hiring a coordinator take just translates into going cheap. It's football, I'm fine with cheap and hungry.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

There ya go, Hater. YOU read it again and see what you come up with. I come up with "DON'T KNOW about just coordinators ..." and "Need a coordinator or small school coach ...". Having trouble reading your own posts?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RR knows he is done. He showed me that the minute he burned his son's redshirt instead of using gramps
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:RR knows he is done. He showed me that the minute he burned his son's redshirt instead of using gramps
Or the walk on QB Werlinger or whatever his name is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:RR knows he is done. He showed me that the minute he burned his son's redshirt instead of using gramps
We all know that someone who transfers to Div I from Div I has to sit out a year, unless they graduate like Solomon.

But if they don't play, do they still need to sit out a year?

Assuming that RhettRod leaves when RichRod gets canned, now blowing his redshirt says he will have to sit out. Could he have played immediately if his redshirt was saved?

But then again, maybe RichRod knows RhettRod isn't a Div I QB, at least in a Power conference, so he may end up at a FCS school, so no need to sit out. Pretty good
QBs in FCS, look at the NAU QB yesterday, and the Grambling QB last year.

Pretty sad that FCS QBs are better than UA QBs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All good points Merk. I was just thinking his kid needs another year to get stronger and with gramps being 26 it would make more sense to throw him in as the third string guy.

By playing his son I figured he was thinking when he gets canned my son will transfer and he can get that RS year at that point
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Assuming that RhettRod leaves when RichRod gets canned, now blowing his redshirt says he will have to sit out. Could he have played immediately if his redshirt was saved?
No. If he transfers from D1 to D1 he has to sit out no matter what unless he's a grad transfer. I believe if he goes from D1 to DII then he could play immediately though fwiw.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:
There ya go, Hater. YOU read it again and see what you come up with. I come up with "DON'T KNOW about just coordinators ..." and "Need a coordinator or small school coach ...". Having trouble reading your own posts?
Good Christ you have the reading comprehension ability of a 4 year old.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: No. If he transfers from D1 to D1 he has to sit out no matter what unless he's a grad transfer. I believe if he goes from D1 to DII then he could play immediately though fwiw.

Thanks CC, always wondered about that. No reason to save his redshirt then.

Love to see RhettRod come out to Cal Poly. Desperate need of a QB who can pass, although we do have great running QBs here.

azcat49 wrote:All good points Merk. I was just thinking his kid needs another year to get stronger and with gramps being 26 it would make more sense to throw him in as the third string guy.

By playing his son I figured he was thinking when he gets canned my son will transfer and he can get that RS year at that point
Has anyone see him play? I know other schools backed off being RichRod's son, just wondering if he is a legit Div I talent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
Has anyone see him play? I know other schools backed off being RichRod's son, just wondering if he is a legit Div I talent.
I haven't seen him play, but from what I was told by someone whose opinion I respect is he's a FCS QB, but you could talk him into believing he could be a lower end FBS QB as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine RichRod will go back into the broadcast booth, be another John Madden, with a fat 7 figure check from the UA.

So Rhett will probably transfer close to wherever Rich ends up. Haven't heard anything about RichRod being in love with Tucson to stay here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I can see Rhett playing 3rd string or second string here this season and then transferring to some FCS School and being a starter there and a couple years

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:I imagine RichRod will go back into the broadcast booth, be another John Madden, with a fat 7 figure check from the UA.

So Rhett will probably transfer close to wherever Rich ends up. Haven't heard anything about RichRod being in love with Tucson to stay here.
RichRod may go back into the broadcast booth. Although I get your drift, RichRod will never be another John Madden. Madden was a rare talent.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here are the Freshman I have playing from the participation report:

Starters (3)
Wilborn, Kylan, Fields, II, Tony, Young Jr., Scottie

Played(11)
Casteel, Brian, Brightwell, Gary, Tilford, Nathan, Rodriguez, Rhett, Schooler, Colin, Young, Troy, Havrisik, Lucas, Brown, Kurtis, Anderson III, Lee, Harris, Jalen, Wolma, Bryce
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I could have sworn UA won and covered the spread.

Ever think that the play calling was vanilla so Houston wouldn't have good tape?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Ever think that the play calling was vanilla so Houston wouldn't have good tape?
No. Not with RR. I have thought this every year. The only time offense seems to change is when it needs to during the bye week. RR is not holding anything back.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RRs offense has been boring and unchanging for years now

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Although, RR teams often play bad as the favorite and better when they are the underdog (sometimes) so being the underdog against Hustonn will probably be a good thing.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

After speaking with many players' parents this weekend, I believe the coaching staff has lost the locker room. Part of it is this year's extreme competition for playing time and refusal to name starters. Part of it is there is just no attempt to get team buy-in to play for something bigger.

As to the former, I heard many parents say the same things, from those with kids that are starters to those on the depth chart, to those not yet on the depth chart, that the kids are getting burned out being treated like machines and not being given much in the way of motivation. It is a lot of work to be a student athlete and even with the scholarship, the workouts and injuries and lack of leadership motivation is leaving many feeling abused and unloved. The workouts in particular seem designed to achieve maximum results from those it does not cause injury. Perhaps this is the cut throat world of NCAA Division I Football, but players are students and people as well. Should the strength and conditioning be designed to bring everyone's strength up while causing no injury, or is it acceptable to accept injuries as the cost of maximizing the strength of those it does not injure? It seems the players understand the coaches are on the hot seat now and in it solely for themselves. The competition for playing time provides incomplete motivation based only on self-interest. If you are a player that does not have NFL skills or aspirations, this self-interest in playing time is turning out to be insufficient when considering the aches and pains that go along with it. Many of the student athletes are turning to excessive drinking that is worrying to their parents.

So what is the normal motivation for a student athlete that makes the above seem worthwhile? Having coaches that rally the team for greater glory. Where are the James Bond or Our House videos of years past? Where are the post-game videos of the team singing Bear Down Arizona? Where are the coaches praising those parts of the team that did well, rather than expressing dissatisfaction to the media that the team needs to do better?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
No. Not with RR. I have thought this every year. The only time offense seems to change is when it needs to during the bye week. RR is not holding anything back.
Would have to watch on tv but from what I remember I didnt see lots of blitzing or changing and switching to confuse receivers
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

FlyonWall wrote:After speaking with many players' parents this weekend, I believe the coaching staff has lost the locker room. Part of it is this year's extreme competition for playing time and refusal to name starters. Part of it is there is just no attempt to get team buy-in to play for something bigger.

As to the former, I heard many parents say the same things, from those with kids that are starters to those on the depth chart, to those not yet on the depth chart, that the kids are getting burned out being treated like machines and not being given much in the way of motivation. It is a lot of work to be a student athlete and even with the scholarship, the workouts and injuries and lack of leadership motivation is leaving many feeling abused and unloved. The workouts in particular seem designed to achieve maximum results from those it does not cause injury. Perhaps this is the cut throat world of NCAA Division I Football, but players are students and people as well. Should the strength and conditioning be designed to bring everyone's strength up while causing no injury, or is it acceptable to accept injuries as the cost of maximizing the strength of those it does not injure? It seems the players understand the coaches are on the hot seat now and in it solely for themselves. The competition for playing time provides incomplete motivation based only on self-interest. If you are a player that does not have NFL skills or aspirations, this self-interest in playing time is turning out to be insufficient when considering the aches and pains that go along with it. Many of the student athletes are turning to excessive drinking that is worrying to their parents.

So what is the normal motivation for a student athlete that makes the above seem worthwhile? Having coaches that rally the team for greater glory. Where are the James Bond or Our House videos of years past? Where are the post-game videos of the team singing Bear Down Arizona? Where are the coaches praising those parts of the team that did well, rather than expressing dissatisfaction to the media that the team needs to do better?
Interesting if true. I do think the extreme competition at QB every year has been a big problem and there is little QB growth from one year to the next. Also, Arizona does seem to get upper class burn out or something because freshman seem to take over for upper class man.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Oh, there was blitzing. It just never worked. Against NAU. Hence the pessimism, especially concerning the line play.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RR has never been a players coach. The things I hear about how he treats his players at practice would turn most stomachs.

He does seem to look at them as chattel and runs a tough ship but hey its football. I like the greater cause storyline as I have always saud, "a team with a cause is a formidable opponent" Early on it was why not AZ and hard edge. Now it's just roster turnover
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3-9 again. 4-8 maybe

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:RR has never been a players coach. The things I hear about how he treats his players at practice would turn most stomachs.

He does seem to look at them as chattel and runs a tough ship but hey its football. I like the greater cause storyline as I have always saud, "a team with a cause is a formidable opponent" Early on it was why not AZ and hard edge. Now it's just roster turnover
They say you can tell the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. I happen to believe in that tenet... and (based on feedback from 'little people' in the AD) is a significant factor in my opinions of both RichRod and Sean Miller.

Being arrogant and sucking is a really, really bad combination.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

On the plus side, the 2017 Territorial Cup is shaping up to be the Pillowfight of the decade.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

waysouthcat wrote:On the plus side, the 2017 Territorial Cup is shaping up to be the Pillowfight of the decade.
Yeahh may be a fight for the cellar of the conference

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:RR has never been a players coach. The things I hear about how he treats his players at practice would turn most stomachs.

They say you can tell the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. I happen to believe in that tenet... and (based on feedback from 'little people' in the AD) is a significant factor in my opinions of both RichRod and Sean Miller.

Being arrogant and sucking is a really, really bad combination.
I have always believed in that tenet, and practice it daily without exception. But let me ask you this: do the "little people" in the AD say both RichRod and Miller don't follow that tenet? Do they both not treat others well as a rule? While being arrogant and sucking is a really bad combination, as you say, I'm not sure being arrogant and being successful is any better.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

People post things like this and it always makes me ask what exactly are you talking about? Tell us, how does he treat his players at practice? What does he do that turns your stomach? Tell us. I have to be honest, my highest level of football playing was high school but our coaches treated us like crap at practice. Both Stoops and Makevic treated players like crap. Stoops even treated his assistant coaches like crap. Oh that guy Kush that those rummies up the road in Tempe just honored, wrote the book on treating players like crap in practice. In the long run you don't get fired for treating players like crap unless you try to choke them during a game. You get fired for losing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well the wins and losses should take care of it Grump, either way. I was hoping for 6 wins but just font see how we win more than 4.

Certainly Joe average fan has spoken about the program
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

waysouthcat wrote:On the plus side, the 2017 Territorial Cup is shaping up to be the Pillowfight of the decade.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Well the wins and losses should take care of it Grump, either way. I was hoping for 6 wins but just font see how we win more than 4.

Certainly Joe average fan has spoken about the program
Yeah at this point getting 4 conference wins to get to a bowl seems laughable. Ceiling for this team is 5-7, basement is 2-10.

Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

What's the tail number of the plane we'll be tracking after the season?