Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:My first reaction busing to El Paso wasn't RR. It was Heeke. Heeke controls the budget and purse strings
RR left WVU because of costs control and not having enough say in radio rights and sideline passes. Hard for me to think this is RR's idea. In fact, I would think he hates busing more than some of us do.
I would agree there. If anything, RR's commentary confirms that, that he's angry about this.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

gman4gov wrote:I'll be heading to this game...gulp...Gonna be interesting to see how any fan support shows up for either team.
I will be there too, tailgating and all. Shouldnt be much of a game.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

It is less than an hour saved flying with no delays. The team isn't in first class so I think this is just a way to shit on the football team.

Miller does this and it is great to most people I bet. Miller can make the wrong decisions but have it work out due to talent. Doesn't mean he is aways right. Just like Rich Rod isn't always wrong.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Busing to El Paso has some advantages. For example, they wouldn't be able to stop at "The Thing" if flying.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well pissing off RR s not going to make him quit. Why schedule this game if you can't figure a way to monetarily make it work. The whole thing is a joke.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:forget comparing football to basketball, or our program to any other power conference program.....when the hell was the last time our football team took a bus that far/long to a game?
Well, here's a different question: When was the last time the football team played somewhere that was this far off? Twice as far as Glendale, but not as far as Albuquerque or San Diego (7 hours for each.) Arizona plays their road games either two hours up the road in the Phoenix metro, or a lot longer away than that. We don't really have road games that are in this 300 mile or so range.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's kinda like the difference between flying out of Tucson or flying out of Phoenix, especially if you live on the northwest side of town or Marana. Flying to El Paso involves busing to the airport, loading everyone on the plane and flying. Then renting ground transportation in El Paso as well. The cost of flying a charter is pretty expensive compared to busing 3.5 hours. And really, how much time are you saving by chartering? Maybe two hours when it is all said and done. And at what cost compared to renting some buses for the entire trip? Flying commercial, which I don't think is an option for football, would save no time at all because there are no direct flights from Tucson to El Paso.

Personally, I think we're reading too much into this. If RR is indeed upset about the travel situation, perhaps he should win more games. He's enjoyed better facilities and more money than any UA football coach in history. Maybe it's time to toughen up and quit the entitlement. It's a bus ride for crying out loud.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think we can file this under the "mountain out of a mole hill" category. Tucson to El Paso is 4 hrs and 44 minutes. If you consider the additional time/effort when dealing with flying (security, getting to airport early, procuring transpo from airport to the stadium, moving equipment (from stadium to bus - from bus to plane - from plane to bus - from bus to stadium, etc.), the drive saves time/effort on logistics. The trip is a losing proposition anyways..doubt ESPN paid much for the rights. Also, maybe this is a way to punish RR and the team for not beating Houston, who knows. We need to focus more on areas that need work to prep for the Utah game. This next game is the last tune-up before P12 starts. ....all that said..the drive from Tucson to El Paso is ugly and boring as fuck.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Equipment is sent by truck before the game. Players don't have to go through security on chartered flights. They have scheduled transportation to the stadium (it's not like they all separately bum rides or call cabs to the airport). So there goes all those theories.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ASUHATER! wrote:Equipment is sent by truck before the game. Players don't have to go through security on chartered flights. They have scheduled transportation to the stadium (it's not like they all separately bum rides or call cabs to the airport). So there goes all those theories.

The point is a charter flight is expensive, regardless of the distance. And if the trip is only a few hours by bus and you can save $10,000 or more, it's worth it. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. The time on the bus is equivalent to chartering a plane to Pullman. If the program can save a few bucks by busing and use that money for recruiting, then it might be worth it. Hell, if I was a head coach and looked at the big picture I'd do the same thing. The trouble is, nobody seems to give a crap about the enormous costs involved.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

zonagrad wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Equipment is sent by truck before the game. Players don't have to go through security on chartered flights. They have scheduled transportation to the stadium (it's not like they all separately bum rides or call cabs to the airport). So there goes all those theories.

The point is a charter flight is expensive, regardless of the distance. And if the trip is only a few hours by bus and you can save $10,000 or more, it's worth it. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. The time on the bus is equivalent to chartering a plane to Pullman. If the program can save a few bucks by busing and use that money for recruiting, then it might be worth it. Hell, if I was a head coach and looked at the big picture I'd do the same thing. The trouble is, nobody seems to give a crap about the enormous costs involved.
Plus, it gives the kids more time to stare at their phones. Win/win.
prh

Post by prh »

zonagrad wrote:

The problem is the few bucks saved for recruiting might not be enough to cover the potential hit to recruiting caused by (very publicly) taking a 5 hour bus trip.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote: The problem is the few bucks saved for recruiting might not be enough to cover the potential hit to recruiting caused by (very publicly) taking a 5 hour bus trip.
That's exactly it. If you want to compete with the big boys you have to play like the big boys.

These players had enough bus trips in high school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

The problem is the few bucks saved for recruiting might not be enough to cover the potential hit to recruiting caused by (very publicly) taking a 5 hour bus trip.
I have come around on it today to agree with you IF ESPN talks about it on the broadcast.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wtf?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote: The problem is the few bucks saved for recruiting might not be enough to cover the potential hit to recruiting caused by (very publicly) taking a 5 hour bus trip.
That's exactly it. If you want to compete with the big boys you have to play like the big boys.

This bus trip b.s. is bush league. Heeke saves a few bucks on travel so can throw it away on other bush league stuff like Gronk bobbleheads and Starwars Night? Please. This ain't Central Michigan, Dave. Makes me shudder at the thought of who Heeke may have in mind as a possible new football coach.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:

This bus trip b.s. is bush league. Heeke saves a few bucks on travel so can throw it away on other bush league stuff like Gronk bobbleheads and Starwars Night? Please. This ain't Central Michigan, Dave. Makes me shudder at the thought of who Heeke may have in mind as a possible new football coach.

I was asked not to say some things as they are not yet public but expect a few announcements in the next few weeks that will change your mind on Heeke.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona 41
UTEP 17
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Put me in the group that thinks a 4.5 hour bus trip is a petty overreaction. I look at the new digs the UA players enjoy in the "football plant" and come away thinking these players are certainly well cared for. They get great meals with an assortment of choices. The facilities are comfortable and player friendly. Heaven forbid they have to sit on a bus to get to a game. Yes, the trip is a bit longer than most bus treks. But they've got plenty of entertainment options at their disposal. And keep in mind that when the football team plays a night game on the road, they don't lodge at a hotel afterwards. They eat on the bus and then head for the airport to catch their plane. A night game in the Pacific Northwest means returning home at 4am. How is this any different? Sure, flying charter is preferred. But the cost is significant. And when you're only saving a couple of hours, I think it's a reasonable choice. I'm not familiar with the cost comparisons, but I'd venture to guess a bus goes for about $2000 and a plane about $20,000. If Arizona is taking two or three buses, you're looking at a cost savings of close to $15,000. Are the players that upset they don't get to fly and instead have to bus?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UTEP lost its starting QB for this week. Not sure how good the backup is but we should not give up 17 but hey it is AZ football
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

zonagrad wrote:Put me in the group that thinks a 4.5 hour bus trip is a petty overreaction. I look at the new digs the UA players enjoy in the "football plant" and come away thinking these players are certainly well cared for. They get great meals with an assortment of choices. The facilities are comfortable and player friendly. Heaven forbid they have to sit on a bus to get to a game. Yes, the trip is a bit longer than most bus treks. But they've got plenty of entertainment options at their disposal. And keep in mind that when the football team plays a night game on the road, they don't lodge at a hotel afterwards. They eat on the bus and then head for the airport to catch their plane. A night game in the Pacific Northwest means returning home at 4am. How is this any different? Sure, flying charter is preferred. But the cost is significant. And when you're only saving a couple of hours, I think it's a reasonable choice. I'm not familiar with the cost comparisons, but I'd venture to guess a bus goes for about $2000 and a plane about $20,000. If Arizona is taking two or three buses, you're looking at a cost savings of close to $15,000. Are the players that upset they don't get to fly and instead have to bus?
Your post is irrelevant because if you were some highly sought after recruit who has been getting tons of offers why would you want to go to the school who busses their players instead of flying them? You're thinking like an experienced and reasonable adult. Not a self centered and egotistical 17 year old jock.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

scumdevils86 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Put me in the group that thinks a 4.5 hour bus trip is a petty overreaction. I look at the new digs the UA players enjoy in the "football plant" and come away thinking these players are certainly well cared for. They get great meals with an assortment of choices. The facilities are comfortable and player friendly. Heaven forbid they have to sit on a bus to get to a game. Yes, the trip is a bit longer than most bus treks. But they've got plenty of entertainment options at their disposal. And keep in mind that when the football team plays a night game on the road, they don't lodge at a hotel afterwards. They eat on the bus and then head for the airport to catch their plane. A night game in the Pacific Northwest means returning home at 4am. How is this any different? Sure, flying charter is preferred. But the cost is significant. And when you're only saving a couple of hours, I think it's a reasonable choice. I'm not familiar with the cost comparisons, but I'd venture to guess a bus goes for about $2000 and a plane about $20,000. If Arizona is taking two or three buses, you're looking at a cost savings of close to $15,000. Are the players that upset they don't get to fly and instead have to bus?
Your post is irrelevant because if you were some highly sought after recruit who has been getting tons of offers why would you want to go to the school who busses their players instead of flying them? You're thinking like an experienced and reasonable adult. Not a self centered and egotistical 17 year old jock.
Fair point.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:UTEP lost its starting QB for this week. Not sure how good the backup is but we should not give up 17 but hey it is AZ football

The starter is a Fresno State transfer who looks like a step down but this D is confused at the best of times. Good game to shake out the kinks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Pay ESPN $2,000 to not mention the bus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

When the team plays at asu do they fly?

I am thinking this is a bigger deal now due to negative recruiting and press. But I do wonder where is the line. This is a four and a half hour ride so where is the line from fly to drive? 3 hour drive?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I haven't seen any national mentions of the bus trip. If you really think that the possibility of a 4.5 hour bus trip once in a blue moon is going to affect recruiting... you're really reaching there.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:I haven't seen any national mentions of the bus trip. If you really think that the possibility of a 4.5 hour bus trip once in a blue moon is going to affect recruiting... you're really reaching there.
That is true. Other than asu, UA is not busing anywhere in the conference
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:I haven't seen any national mentions of the bus trip.
also

I imagine recruits also follow UA pundits.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I haven't seen any national mentions of the bus trip.

I imagine recruits also follow UA pundits.

F any recruit that would come here but wont because UA took a bus trip one time
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tOSU can just show them this. Not that the UA competes with The Ohio State for recruits.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:tOSU can just show them this. Not that the UA competes with The Ohio State for recruits.

Well, UW can probably show something similar considering the CFPlife hashtag. That reddit thread had fans from other teams saying "sounds reasonable to me. We take the bus a lot of places." Athlon page was specific to the UTEP game and it takes a few clicks to get there. This isn't plastered all over the national press.
prh

Post by prh »

Honestly it doesn't matter if the national press carries it or not. Recruits get plenty of information from more places than national press. Recruits know we are bussing to UTEP. Whether or not my mother finds out because ESPN discusses it during the game doesn't matter, because the recruits will know for sure.

Here's what I'm more interested in. Do UW and WSU bus to play each other? That's about a 5 hour trip via land. I would expect UW to fly because they're a bigger AD, so I'm more curious if WSU does.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Im sorry, but thinking a "bus trip" to El Paso is no big deal, in today's college football landscape, in a Power Five conference, is hilarious. That says all you need to know about the state of our program, and athletic department as a result of the state of our program.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TucsonClip wrote:Im sorry, but thinking a "bus trip" to El Paso is no big deal, in today's college football landscape, in a Power Five conference, is hilarious. That says all you need to know about the state of our program, and athletic department as a result of the state of our program.

I'm not even overreacting to this bus shit. That should tell you something.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Everyone is acting like it is every game for the season. IT IS ONE GAME ONE TIME. UA will never do this again for any team other than asu in the next 20 years
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Still, It's bush league and shows exactly where we are as a program. Should never happen unless it was RR saying we will grow closer together on the bus or some other BS reason.

Having the AD basically do it because we are saving 15K, come on. Just makes us even more of a basketball school. We should just be Gonzaga and move to a basketball only conference. This is stupid, stupid and even more stupid
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

From what I've heard, the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:From what I've heard, the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money.
Thanks "fans"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey guys!

What did I miss the last few days off the grid?

Arizona football going the Bull Durham route now?!? Sweet!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PHXCATS wrote:Everyone is acting like it is every game for the season. IT IS ONE GAME ONE TIME. UA will never do this again for any team other than asu in the next 20 years
No, we are responding to those who provide us with intel from the AD, and also the actual reports and comments stating we did this to save a nominal amount of money.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Everyone is acting like it is every game for the season. IT IS ONE GAME ONE TIME. UA will never do this again for any team other than asu in the next 20 years
Yeah, but other teams can still use it in negative recruiting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:From what I've heard, the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money.

You are a f-ing cancer. This is so untrue unless you are speaking to the desires to do mass improvements that are needed.

Probably need no more evidence then giving pay raises to non revenue coaches. Stop spreading false things that you have no idea abiut
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:

You are a f-ing cancer. This is so untrue unless you are speaking to the desires to do mass improvements that are needed.

Probably need no more evidence then giving pay raises to non revenue coaches. Stop spreading false things that you have no idea abiut

It's from an extremely reliable source. I don't say it unless I'm pretty sure it's true. This move is one confirmation for me. We shall see if others come into play.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And I can counter that with a very high inside source. In some respects it depends on how you phrase it. We don't have the money for the debt service on the many improvements they need.

If you are speaking to a RR buy out, it's not like we sit on millions od dollars in surplus cash. We are not Bama or Michigan.

But we do budget for the low 40's in football attendance and our revenues are in line with expenses from a baseline perspective.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:And I can counter that with a very high inside source. In some respects it depends on how you phrase it. We don't have the money for the debt service on the many improvements they need.

If you are speaking to a RR buy out, it's not like we sit on millions od dollars in surplus cash. We are not Bama or Michigan.

But we do budget for the low 40's in football attendance and our revenues are in line with expenses from a baseline perspective.

If your source was in the building it still might not be close enough. :D On how we phrase it, huh? I quote "hemorrhaging money". It's why my source still believes RR might not get canned. I disagree with him on that point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Are you guys done measuring your junk yet?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:Are you guys done measuring your junk yet?

The sad part is that I really don't care. I just repeated something I heard three weeks ago and then I see a bus trip. :lol: It's all a fucking comedy show at this point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:Are you guys done measuring your junk yet?

The sad part is that I really don't care.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Would they make Nick a captain if he wasn't playing?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Greg, he has no junk, just vag. Please, no one believe his BS. If we can't get donor money to pay off RR then he will stay but that us not a sign of us being Cal. Such BS he spews