General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Progr

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I certainly won't bash any Wildcat fans who are still in the "show-me" phase or probably more "still-not-convinced" phase. I am just enjoying the ride. I definitely was in the "pessimistic-but-hopeful" phase at the beginning of the season, and fully expected RR to be gone by the end of the season. Then I was a bit more optimistic when we were 2-2, because those two losses could have been wins, except for two lousy offensive mistakes.

Now I am just enjoying this wild ride. In no way do I see us winning out. But even going 2-2 to end the season as we started it would leave a huge smile on my face. 8-4, and a decent bowl invite? After last year's downer of a season? That should be enough to make any of us Wildcat fans smile -- particularly if one of those next wins is against ASsU and sends coach Toad Graham packing.

BTFD Wildcats!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I certainly won't bash any Wildcat fans who are still in the "show-me" phase or probably more "still-not-convinced" phase. I am just enjoying the ride. I definitely was in the "pessimistic-but-hopeful" phase at the beginning of the season, and fully expected RR to be gone by the end of the season. Then I was a bit more optimistic when we were 2-2, because those two losses could have been wins, except for two lousy offensive mistakes.

Now I am just enjoying this wild ride. In no way do I see us winning out. But even going 2-2 to end the season as we started it would leave a huge smile on my face. 8-4, and a decent bowl invite? After last year's downer of a season? That should be enough to make any of us Wildcat fans smile -- particularly if one of those next wins is against ASsU and sends coach Toad Graham packing.

BTFD Wildcats!
Bad fan. ;)

Great post man.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BBQ, you’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to jump right in with a hot take that anyone who didn’t think we’d be 6-2 at this point is a closet ASSU fan.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Chicat wrote:BBQ, you’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to jump right in with a hot take that anyone who didn’t think we’d be 6-2 at this point is a closet ASSU fan.
Well, damn! I will try to do it "right" next time. :D
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Honest question for those that say they aren't excited yet and or need to see more, what exactly do you still need to see? Good defense? Seen that lately, good oline play vs good defenses? Seen that? Good WR play, seen that vs good defenses? Wins vs ranked teams? Wins on the road?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RR really wanting to be an AZ Wildcat,and not seeing us as a stepping stone. Just tell us that up front and not that you want to be a part of our community for life like most of our former football coached and other coaches have been but you really don't want that

We bailed him out and he he jizzed in our face. Enjoying the ride and keep winning but he takes another visit and no one will show up. We are paying him so keep winning RR and we are even
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Those folks who say it is all KT are just plain wrong. He definitely a the difference maker and makes folks around him play better but he can't go out and win by himself. This team was playing better at every phase except QB until KT got in. That was due to a lot of hard work by the coaching staff and the players. Saying it was "all KT" shows your ignorance about the ultimate team sport. I'm done with is thread. BearDown.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I exactly right J. At least now RR is earning his paycheck.

No one is showing because, why support someone who is gonna bail? A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Even though Stoops was always comparing the lack of facilities at Arizona compared to OK, you always got the sense that his eye was on Arizona and not elsewhere.

Treat the fans right and they'll reward you handsomely at Arizona, RR had no one to blame but himself for this years fan attendance.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I certainly won't bash any Wildcat fans who are still in the "show-me" phase or probably more "still-not-convinced" phase. I am just enjoying the ride. I definitely was in the "pessimistic-but-hopeful" phase at the beginning of the season, and fully expected RR to be gone by the end of the season. Then I was a bit more optimistic when we were 2-2, because those two losses could have been wins, except for two lousy offensive mistakes.

BTFD Wildcats!
GREAT Post.

Except that I want ASsU to win the remainder of their games EXCEPT FOR the Territorial Cup. I don't want to see him sent packing... it will be very hard to find another coach who is easy to hate as Brittany Sweatbands.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:Honest question for those that say they aren't excited yet and or need to see more, what exactly do you still need to see? Good defense? Seen that lately, good oline play vs good defenses? Seen that? Good WR play, seen that vs good defenses? Wins vs ranked teams? Wins on the road?
I am super excited and the only thing I want to see more of is the play over the past 4 weeks.

This season RR and staff definitely have my appreciation and kudos. As AzCat49 & CST implied, he doesn't have my loyalty.. and probably won't. Put together a couple 8-4 or better seasons, and decline interest in jobs that appear to be clear 'steps up' and I'll rethink my opinion. I am not holding my breath...

IF he is going to bail, I hope he does it in the next season or 2... so Tate still has some eligibility left for the new guy.

If we somehow won out and he bolted for a semi-elite program, I'll thank him for his service and wish him well... it's who he is. That's his prerogative and the only crime he committed was disingenuity (which is one of my biggest pet peeves): Say what you mean, mean what you say, and know what you are saying means.

It's a business relationship... keep giving the AD their money's worth and I am a satisfied customer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So I take it there are three camps then based on responses?

1) very happy and excited
2) happy and excited but reserved because of RR'S past
3) anti "homers"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every single person on this board is very happy and excited with this season, esp. watching Khalil Tate.

Why they couldn't sell out at Arizona Stadium last night was just really sad.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Every single person on this board is very happy and excited with this season, esp. watching Khalil Tate.

Our fans are not good. That easy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lots of Halloween parties for families last night could have played a part.

General malaise from last year got the September games and by then we were half way through our home schedule.

Family weekend was good but homecoming on the weekend before Halloween was a bad break. Couple that with the lack of believing RR and you have your reasons.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Let me get this straight on where this thread has gone. We're all pretty darn sure RR isn't going to be fired so now its all about our defense sucks and we're not better this year because of RR. Oh and RR is just going to bolt on us anyway. Well Tate didn't recruit himself and neither did any of those other Freshmen, Sophomores and RS Freshmen that are making plays for us. J.J didn't recruit himself. Oh wait, I guess it wasn't RR that fired all the defensive coaches and brought in energetic coaches that could recruit and teach. If it wasn't RR that made this team better then please tell me who it was. Let me run something else by you. If you're a football coach and you come to work for the UofA you will stay here until we are sick and tired of you and fire you. Under no circumstances will you check out other employment opportunities. Even if you don't take them, we'll hate your guts forever. Some of you make no sense to me. As far as I'm concerned your space ship left planet reality weeks ago. But you are entertaining to please keep it up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lots of people complaining about fans are people posting on message boards from their homes while watching the games on TV.

I generally go to 2 games a year. The rest of the games I am happy drinking a few beers on my couch. Call me a bad fan if you want
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Every single person on this board is very happy and excited with this season, esp. watching Khalil Tate.

But you are. I sleep better at night knowing our team is in the capable hands of our best fan, machina.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Lots of people complaining about fans are people posting on message boards from their homes while watching the games on TV.

I generally go to 2 games a year. The rest of the games I am happy drinking a few beers on my couch. Call me a bad fan if you want
Same. I've probably been to about a dozen to 15 games in the 9 years since in was a student.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We have great fans. We support all programs. All those coaches are believable when they say how much they love being at AZ. Not saying our fans would sell out AZ stadium but we supported a guy like Stoops because he was all in and we bought what he was saying. RR is far from believable.

Harveys post above sums it up perfectly
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Lots of people complaining about fans are people posting on message boards from their homes while watching the games on TV.

I am not callin you out or anyone specifically, but with Tucson metro having over a million people and the ease of coming from Phoenix either driving or taking the Cat Cruiser, having less than 43000 for Homecoming, vs a top 15 team, with the best player in the sport the last few weeks, and a team on a three game winning streak, is completely unacceptable.

Everyone has a variety of factors to not go, but with how many people that are within two hours of the stadium not even getting close to 50000 is a serious issue. There is more to it than RR not being trustable because there is no way a team as good as UA with a player as good as Tate should be playing with 43000 people there when the week before a basketball practice sold out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tickets could be free and we wouldn't sell out, just look at the students as evidence of that.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:We have great fans. We support all programs. All those coaches are believable when they say how much they love being at AZ. Not saying our fans would sell out AZ stadium but we supported a guy like Stoops because he was all in and we bought what he was saying. RR is far from believable.

J, where do you think RR is going? If you were RR today, would you leave your meal ticket in Tate to go coach somewhere else? If the South Carolina AD hadn't turned RR's visit into a total cluster f then he's probably coaching South Carolina today. But he did and RR realized that things aren't so bad in the old pueblo.

Back to my original question. Would you leave now knowing that you got a guy at QB that only comes around once every 10-15 years? He's not going to leave because of money, because of the big pay day coming up. We're going to a bowl game and you have arguably the most exciting player in college football for the next two years. RR will get an extension and a bump in salary and he will get the chance to reap the benefits of a very young and talented football team over the next two years. I think we're positioned much better right now - coaching staff wise to reap the benefits - recruiting wise over the next couple of years. Tate alone is going to continue to keep Arizona in the headlines over the next two and a half years - huge benefit to recruiting.

I wasn't joking when I said in an earlier post that RR could call Greg Byrne today and ask him how he's loving life in Alabama? Making big bucks at a place like Alabama doesn't guarantee that you will be happy. I think RR is dug in and knows that he got a new lease on life with Tate. He's not going anywhere.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh I don't think he is going anywhere but I do fall in line with Harveys narrative of RR's wandering eye.

He has my support but not my loyalty. Just keep winning RR and find another QB as it is obvious your program needs a high level guy to dobwhat we want the program to do
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote:

I am not callin you out or anyone specifically, but with Tucson metro having over a million people and the ease of coming from Phoenix either driving or taking the Cat Cruiser, having less than 43000 for Homecoming, vs a top 15 team, with the best player in the sport the last few weeks, and a team on a three game winning streak, is completely unacceptable.

Everyone has a variety of factors to not go, but with how many people that are within two hours of the stadium not even getting close to 50000 is a serious issue. There is more to it than RR not being trustable because there is no way a team as good as UA with a player as good as Tate should be playing with 43000 people there when the week before a basketball practice sold out.
I
I think that the makeup of the Tucson metropolitan area population is the decisive factor - the city has had remarkable growth decade-on-decade, and the huge majority of those moving here do not have college degrees, retain loyalties to their "home" states/cities, and have no history of collegiate sports interest. Yes, we have a polulation base, but no connection to the U of A....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Honest question for those that say they aren't excited yet and or need to see more, what exactly do you still need to see? Good defense? Seen that lately, good oline play vs good defenses? Seen that? Good WR play, seen that vs good defenses? Wins vs ranked teams? Wins on the road?
When you’ve already provide a few very limited and biased answers it’s really hard to treat your question as “honest”, but I’ll bite....

The answer for me is one word: Sustainability

If we are 3-9 again in a couple of years because success on the field did not turn into success in recruiting, all this bad fan/good fan bullshit won’t matter a bit.

Our best year under RR finished with a couple of disheartening losses and no momentum in recruiting. A year later RR is flirting with taking over a lower tier SEC program. If that’s the cycle of crap we are on, then why get so geeked about the one good season out of four knowing there’s two or three ahead of us where we’ll be .500 or worse?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dc4azcats wrote:
azcat49 wrote:We have great fans. We support all programs. All those coaches are believable when they say how much they love being at AZ. Not saying our fans would sell out AZ stadium but we supported a guy like Stoops because he was all in and we bought what he was saying. RR is far from believable.

J, where do you think RR is going? If you were RR today, would you leave your meal ticket in Tate to go coach somewhere else? If the South Carolina AD hadn't turned RR's visit into a total cluster f then he's probably coaching South Carolina today. But he did and RR realized that things aren't so bad in the old pueblo.

Back to my original question. Would you leave now knowing that you got a guy at QB that only comes around once every 10-15 years? He's not going to leave because of money, because of the big pay day coming up. We're going to a bowl game and you have arguably the most exciting player in college football for the next two years. RR will get an extension and a bump in salary and he will get the chance to reap the benefits of a very young and talented football team over the next two years. I think we're positioned much better right now - coaching staff wise to reap the benefits - recruiting wise over the next couple of years. Tate alone is going to continue to keep Arizona in the headlines over the next two and a half years - huge benefit to recruiting.

I wasn't joking when I said in an earlier post that RR could call Greg Byrne today and ask him how he's loving life in Alabama? Making big bucks at a place like Alabama doesn't guarantee that you will be happy. I think RR is dug in and knows that he got a new lease on life with Tate. He's not going anywhere.
I tend too agree with your comment that RR isn't going anywhere with the emergence of Khalil Tate being his QB & younger talent that has room to grown & improve in years to come. Since Florida fired their HC and Tennessee is going to follow right behind, I don't see those two blue blood program remotely considering him as their replacement. They already got their candidate line up and RR isn't among none them. Florida and Tennessee are just spoil programs. RR will get a raise and extension at the end of the season. But most posters on here don't think otherwise giving his history by turning down those offer and look what you going forward.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol at people still thinking the games are free for students. $135-175 for the zona zoo, plus idk the $40k plus in tuition. Most people who whine about millenials and students etc probably only had to pay $50/credit for school.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Has cordera dropped the persona or just taken English classes?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAdevil wrote:Has cordera dropped the persona or just taken English classes?
:lol:
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So idiot is among the living. Devil you don't scare me.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

So you guys bashing RR for entertaining job offers have never interviewed for other jobs while employed? You have never looked for a better opportunity while continuing to give your best at your current place of employment? "Loyalty" doesn't exist in the workplace, and like Rick said, no one is still up SM's ass for interviewing with the Maryland AD a few years ago and for being the presumptive successor to Roy Williams (before the embarrassing bribery scandal involving his close friend and lead recruiter). Get over yourselves.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:So you guys bashing RR for entertaining job offers have never interviewed for other jobs while employed? You have never looked for a better opportunity while continuing to give your best at your current place of employment? "Loyalty" doesn't exist in the workplace, and like Rick said, no one is still up SM's ass for interviewing with the Maryland AD a few years ago and for being the presumptive successor to Roy Williams (before the embarrassing bribery scandal involving his close friend and lead recruiter). Get over yourselves.
Did Sean Miller let recruiting fall off when he had one foot out the door? Did we have a losing season sprinkled in there because he was cool with his assistants golfing and enjoying a semi-retired life instead of signing the kids we’d need to take us to a championship level?

You get back to us when that happens, ok?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:So you guys bashing RR for entertaining job offers have never interviewed for other jobs while employed? You have never looked for a better opportunity while continuing to give your best at your current place of employment? "Loyalty" doesn't exist in the workplace, and like Rick said, no one is still up SM's ass for interviewing with the Maryland AD a few years ago and for being the presumptive successor to Roy Williams (before the embarrassing bribery scandal involving his close friend and lead recruiter). Get over yourselves.
Did Sean Miller let recruiting fall off when he had one foot out the door? Did we have a losing season sprinkled in there because he was cool with his assistants golfing and enjoying a semi-retired life instead of signing the kids we’d need to take us to a championship level?

Exactly this... everyone looks at greener pastures there and again but he just let recruiting tank completely for a while and it's why we were starting walk-ons on defense all the time the last few seasons.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KingG

Post by KingG »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

But you are. I sleep better at night knowing our team is in the capable hands of our best fan, machina.
You’re such a Schmuck.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

KingG wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

You’re such a Schmuck.
Totally, glad we all agree machina is one.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:

The season after Miller interviewed at Maryland and we were saved by a Cheeseburger U of A and Miller.missed the ncaa tournament.

Miller isa far better coach but we as a whole maybe too rough on Rich Rod.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We as a fan base have been about 10% as tough on Rich rod as we should have been.

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Chicat wrote:

Yeah, because four and five star recruits are just lining up to play football at UA and RR was too busy being wined and dined to get them to sign their LOIs. Give me a break.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Yeah, because four and five star recruits are just lining up to play football at UA and RR was too busy being wined and dined to get them to sign their LOIs. Give me a break.
Sure, I can give you a break. All this logic knocking holes in your straw-man argument probably isn’t much fun.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:We as a fan base have been about 10% as tough on Rich rod as we should have been.

This. Free pass and a blind eye.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Chicat wrote:

No Miller was cool with his assistants doing WHATEVER the F*ck they wanted to do provided they signed high profile kids. Too easy

Rich Rod flirted with South Carolina, then came back, realized our program was not on strong footing, fired his long time defensive assistant coaches to get the exact type of assistant coaches we need, young hungry guys from lower level programs with deep Socal ties. Unfortunately Williams did not work out but still was a good move for Rich Rod to hire him. Also promoted Addade who has been a strong recruiter as well. This was all before the disaster last year. Rich Rod could see the issues and did everything in his power to fix it (and in my mind I think he did a damn good job).

Last year sucked for sure, but we were in the middle of Rich Rod's rebuilding after realizing the error of his earlier ways.

You guys have been listening to that Chief guy for far too long for your views on Arizona football. Arizona is not a great job, in fact its a pretty mediocre job. Little to no instate talent, average facilities (That are getting better with the new indoor and stadium improvements), terrible fan support for football, and no sustained history of success.

Again, its going to be November and Arizona is playing USC for first place in the PAC 12 South on the line...Enjoy the ride and you do not want to show loyalty to Rich Rod that's fine but my advice would be, buy tickets, become a wildcat club member, go to games, and do your part. If you do not do this, you have nothing to complain about. You are like the person who complains about the government but does not vote.

I will be at the Coliseum this weekend hosting a big U of A tailgate if anyone wants to stop by.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It’s the old mediocre argument....can’t do any better. But he’s tried. Hey! It’s year 6 and the fans aren’t buying the gimmicks hence the attendance.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Chicat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Sure, I can give you a break. All this logic knocking holes in your straw-man argument probably isn’t much fun.
You are the one introducing the strawman. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of criticizing RR for interviewing for other jobs, since everyone does it, including SM. If it's not loyal to explore other opportunities, then so be it. But they did stick around, and that's what matters to me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cordera89 wrote:
So idiot is among the living. Devil you don't scare me.

UAdevil owns this site and is the main admin so you'd better show a little respect or you'll be gone for good.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

chiefzona wrote:It’s the old mediocre argument....can’t do any better. But he’s tried. Hey! It’s year 6 and the fans aren’t buying the gimmicks hence the attendance.
Who would we hire to replace him? He is fielding a young, competitive team this year with a competent coaching staff. And at 6-2, vying for the South division lead you are doubling down on firing him? This thread is cancer. Peace.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And that is what he is paid to do. That is why we gave him more money than any coach in history. That is why we gave him a retention package and incentives making him the 5th highest paid coach in America.

Guess there should be only 4 jobs to look at but since he doesn't like AZ he is willing too take a lateral move if he can get the same dough. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

Like Harvey said, he should leave now since we get two more years of Tate and a nice roster of young talent. We got what we paid for and so did he, handsomely
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This thread makes me weep for humanity.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I said he was a program cancer and look what he has done to some of us.

From here on out, nothing but positives in a glorious season, at least from me. Bye bye thread
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rick Kane wrote:Again, its going to be November and Arizona is playing USC for first place in the PAC 12 South on the line...Enjoy the ride and you do not want to show loyalty to Rich Rod that's fine but my advice would be, buy tickets, become a wildcat club member, go to games, and do your part. If you do not do this, you have nothing to complain about. You are like the person who complains about the government but does not vote.
I live in the suburbs of Chicago, but please do go on....
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:It’s the old mediocre argument....can’t do any better. But he’s tried. Hey! It’s year 6 and the fans aren’t buying the gimmicks hence the attendance.
Honestly, the next time you have a take on RR that is even remotely accurate, it will be the first time.

He’s not going anywhere so move on already.