2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Definitely a season most of us never saw coming. We are IMO, the best team in the conference and if we could tho back and play our two losses, we would he in the playoff hunt

The defense is garbage and embarrassing. Some of you wanted Yates as the HC a month ago.
Doesn't matter, our philosophy is to outscore our opponent. They can't stop Tate.

We scored every 5 plays on average against the top defense in the conference. Get back to me after someone stops us.

Tough October for you man. Not really sorry but I can have some empathy that your. Self esteem has taken a huge hit. Rita told me to tell you hi! She looked great in her all red outfit last night on the sideline. I bet I could get you some nacho dip. It may make you feel better
That philosophy got Casteel canned. Great October for me. Lots of good stuff came my way. Good ole Rita. I just had a knock off of her dip but it wasn’t as good.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I will give Chief and his bunch credit for one thing. Loyalty to the cause. He has shipped out on the good ship Hate Everything RichRod and by golly he's going to go down with that ship no matter what. Smooth sailing Chief and keep posting. You are so very entertaining.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Just crazy how things turned around. The honest Wildcats fan who has been through the past years would ask would we have won any of these past 4 games without Tate? I tend to think maybe like 1, maybe and it would be a completely different story. But with Tate, we're just a force. And as a Cats fan this is very fun to watch. It's like yea Tate, you've handed off awhile, go ahead and run one in from 70 yards-and he does. Then he throws bombs. But the rest of the team has all gotten better too, receivers, qb pressure and some timely db play, rich rod with less ranting on the sidelines so he's doing better too.

It's like a gift from the football spirits to Rich, a crazy good kid to fit his offense to a tee. He really has had some great quarterbacks through his coaching career, like Pat White and Dernard Robinson. Tate fitd well and would it be nice to see him play quite a few games for our team. The true good ones are just so hard to really find. A lesser recruited qb can be found like a BJ Denker, but that's pretty hard to get too. He was a good runner but at first couldn't pass worth a lick. But eventually he did that well and turned out to be a great quarterback in the end under the system. His bowl game performance especially. Matt Scott was good but took a lot of abuse.

Tate has brought forth the ability for Rich to be at least a little more zen on the sidelines. With a calmer demeanor he can calculate through things better since he's not melting down so much. He was almost doing that to a Stoops level, almost, but that has largely curtailed, at least for now. But gotta say he sure was cheering wildly when that kid hit that long field goal at the end of the half. It was a great moment. Probably his best coaching moment of the season, maybe in his entire time here. Great moment for us all, a significant Arizona special teams success, and for a surprise overall turnaround, especially after bball scandal, gotta give some credence to all Tate theorists and also those in the camp that everybody else is playing and doing better now too!

When I was last flying into Tucson, airline did a slow loop north over town so could see the UA campus site they are putting the indoor practice facility in. Its like 2 big grassy parcels now. Its spot is so prime on campus right by the stadium, if they do right it really could be used 365 days a year by virtually anyone, certainly athletes. Ten years from now, they'll be like shoulda doubled the project and made it a $36 mill facility! But in reality you gotta get these things off the ground and we'll have a facility that's being built to the upgraded ceiling high as these things go to a high of 65' to accommodate punting. Most football practices occur in like 40 yards segments, so at 90 yard field its pretty standard. The biggest you'll see are 120 yards. You have an outdoor kicking facility next door in the stadium. But to fit in that prime space right next to the stadium you can't go wrong. It'll be in place at least, its spot staked out so they can upgrade as needed down the road. Maybe one day down the road they'll figure out how to put in a 120 yard 90' height ceiling facility there to rival Jerry World's jumbotron height.

Our indoor facility project is different from Oregon State's recent $10 million teardown of like a 20 year old indoor practice building to build a $42 million facility. Reading about it, it's like a hybrid indoor practice facility/Lowell Stevens building. They moved a fair amount of their core football to their indoor facility, locker rooms,some offices, training facility and also all the student athletes train there. We have Lowell Stevens now for the football plant and administration, the team can do everything there and whoever else trains at the LS gym, so our new indoor facility can be different more to suit athletes and large functions like tailgates. Could even do soccer functions, football and basketball team workouts, basketball courts inside, other UA sports use, student use, it really could be one of the better buildings on campus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I will give Chief and his bunch credit for one thing. Loyalty to the cause. He has shipped out on the good ship Hate Everything RichRod and by golly he's going to go down with that ship no matter what. Smooth sailing Chief and keep posting. You are so very entertaining.

Thanks buddy! I’ll sail out with RR when he leaves. We are bringing valuables aboard now. Ahoy! Wait a minute. Enemy ship off the starboard side. General quarters and man your battle stations! Chief out!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I will give Chief and his bunch credit for one thing. Loyalty to the cause. He has shipped out on the good ship Hate Everything RichRod and by golly he's going to go down with that ship no matter what. Smooth sailing Chief and keep posting. You are so very entertaining.
Your commitment to ignoring reality really is something special. That's loyalty to a cause.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Important stat from last night I havent seen discussed. 22.2 percent. 3rd down conversion rate from WSU yesterday.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What did we give them, 3 short fields. I think they only drove successfully on one possession.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e-featured" target="_blank

Arizona Wildcats are ranked, and they’re among the youngest teams in the nation
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That will be 10pm eastern, not as bad as before.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And since DST is ending by then, 7pm out here in Cali.

Hopefully Tate is still on the Heisman Watch list, otherwise the crickets will be making more noise.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

8PM? Talk about a crowd killer. Just crazy start times anymore
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah if we lose at USC (esp by a handy margin) then come home to play lowly Oregon St at 8 pm? 40k would be high estimate of attendance i'm sure.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I doubt we get 40K even if we beat USC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:8PM? Talk about a crowd killer. Just crazy start times anymore
I see everyone complain all the time about start times. But no one (not attacking you specifically 49) ever offers suggestions or alternatives but me.

You have pretty much four slots on national networks. Can't put the PAC-12 in the early ones because that is 9 or 10 am. Then the ratings no matter the time or station are always better for Big 10 ACC Big 12 and SEC than the PAC-12 in the same spots so the networks want to put those games in the 12:30/1:30 slots and unless it is a huge game in the 4-5:30 slots so that leave us on the west cost for the 7-8pm games.

The only alternative is to not let ESPN broadcast PAC-12 games. Go to NBC or CBS but that would be far less exposure no matter the time and far less money. Good kickoff times but would be on NBCSN and competing with hockey with them instead of other conferences, or CBSSN and competing with the American and Mountain West. PAC-12 would win that battle with those conferences and get the prime time slots.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You can't constantly complain about fans not showing up and keep sucking Larry's cock simultaneously.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:You can't constantly complain about fans not showing up and keep sucking Larry's cock simultaneously.
43000 for homecoming is an embarrassment. No idea where this is coming from on Larry Scott. He is awful and I have said so for years and years and years. He has screwed up so greatly I have no idea how he got an extension. Worst leader in sports. Period. Worst than Goodell or Bettman by a lot. Far worst Power 5 leader. Far worst

What would you do if you were PAC-12 commish though. Have better start times on a network with lower eyeballs watching and would be able to give less for broadcast right? Or get the money and exposure with ESPN and understand late starts are needed because PAC-12 fans dont bring the same ratings as the Big 10 and SEC?

Just an honest question.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah last I checked no one here was an executive at the conference level or at a tv network so...dunno what solutions you want. We are just allowed to bitch about the late starts. We're fans. It's okay machina. If we want to bitch about start times and not show up to any games ever...that's okay. We're still just as good of fans that care just as much.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Just want to say, whole heartedly fuck Larry Scott. Chris Fowler shit on the P12 Networks on twitter.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:Just want to say, whole heartedly fuck Larry Scott. Chris Fowler shit on the P12 Networks on twitter.
Completely unacceptable how the PAC-12 Network is ran on all fronts. Mike Yam is good and the only bright spot except for the games that they edit to 60 minutes to replay during the week, but Big Ten network did that before PAC-12 so it isnt unique.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Other conferences don't play a majority of their games after dark because they don't want to.

Why should the Pac be any different?

Tucson is made up of older people and college students. Older folks don't want to be out past 10pm. I enjoy going to games with my kids but don't love being out with them at midnight. College students want to be drinking with friends after 9pm. Phoenix fans don't want to be driving home at midnight.

What don't you understand about why this sucks?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Other conferences don't play a majority of their games after dark because they don't want to.

Tucson is made up of older people and college students. Older folks don't want to be out past 10pm. I enjoy going to games with my kids but don't love being out with them at midnight. College students want to be drinking with friends after 9pm. Phoenix fans don't want to be driving home at midnight.

Yea I guess I consider myself an older person now. I don't like having to be out and doing shit after 11 pm for these games that start at 8 pm. That's why I don't go that much anymore. I went to the UCLA game because it started at 6. That was tolerable. I'd much rather sit at home and watch the game where I'm comfortable and with more friends and have functioning internet to check on other games. Especially now that this year I have the option to actually watch games on my tv through Sling instead of having to watch most of our games on my phone through an app with my dad's dish log in.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Other conferences don't play a majority of their games after dark because they don't want to.

I am not saying it doesnt suck because it totally does. Need to play at night in September home games due to the heat, but the rest of the year day games would be better. I don't like getting home at 1 or 2 in the morning from the games. If it is good or not isn't the issue here though.

We cannot make ESPN not make as much money as possible for them, cannot have them run their business less successfully just because we don't like night games though.

So my question is, is this better all things considered (much higher exposure and money) or should we start to pressure Heeke, Roberts and Scott to change things up and look at the costs and benefits of going to a CBSSN or NBCSN when the ESPN deal is up (better kickoff times, top dog on the network, but lower tv revenue coming to U of A and lower exposure nationally).
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Keep winning and we will get better slotting on TV. Tate's national profile will help too.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yeah, you won't like my opinion either.
P12 Presidents and Larry Scott sold out TV time slots back in 2011. But ESPN/Fox for the majority don't want P12 games earlier time slots (TV markets, eyeballs, time zone). This means the number of available earlier time slots to grant P12 limited (because not east coast markets). Very limited. Then UA has to compete with the USC's, UCLA's, UDUB's and Stanford's for those and they have much better recognition and climates. It's a GEO thing and a desert thing. In return, P12 got nearly $3 BILLION over 12 years. At that time, the nearly $3 billion most for any conference deal. Before that AZ was not on TV or they were on FSN, FSAZ, Versus or occasionally on ESPN or ABC and very little money. That ESPN/Fox TV money has brought some goodies.

P12Network I can blame because little money, High High overhead to operate. Nobody's watching it.

You have to throw out home earlier slots September as is the pac12 safety protocol. Nothing before 7pm I believe. had to grant an exception for 2015 ESPN gameday against UCLA to get 6pm. It was Hot. For Home games, time slots really not in play for UA home games until mid-October (heat)

If AZ was good like 2014 ESPN/Fox will peg you for earlier games come November. If UA bad, then UA gets buried late on P12network or sometimes earlier when UA playing OSU or Wazzu.

It's about team draw and TV ratings. UA has actually been pegged for unusual earlier slots this October with 5pm/6pm than normal. It's been better this season than most come October.

Time slots depend more on the state of UA football than it does Larry Scott. L.A doesn't care too much about UA football. But ESPN and Fox care about L.A. It's the 2nd biggest TV market. ESPN/Fox couldn't care less about what UA fans want. It's about profits. And ESPN/Fox gave the P12 nearly $3 Billion to be able to decide what teams and time slots they want. ESPN/Fox don't care what Larry Scott wants or thinks about it either.

If UA wants to be in earlier time slots, then go repeat 2014 when they were latter half of season.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

We just had 4 straight games kickoff between 5p-6:30p. That's an unprecedented stretch of ideal kick times for us. We are due for a couple late one's. We get 42k for a 6:30p kick Saturday on Homecoming coming off of 3 straight wins.

It doesn't matter anymore honestly, I'm tired of getting pissed off about the attendance at Arizona Stadium because it's never going to change.....it is what it is moving forward. Tucson is not a college football town coupled with the fact that so many people nowadays want to watch the games on their 70 inch hi def flat screens. And phones/Social Media has totally changed the dynamic and attention fans for students.

The notion that the reason we're getting 42-48k a game instead of 50-56k a game, is because there's 8,000 potential Tucson ticket buyers who would go.......if not for the fact that they're still pissed that RR considered the South Carolina job......is just idiotic. Or at the very least a gross oversimplification of what's actually happening.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

btfd16 wrote:Just want to say, whole heartedly fuck Larry Scott. Chris Fowler shit on the P12 Networks on twitter.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

HaCats wrote:We just had 4 straight games kickoff between 5p-6:30p. That's an unprecedented stretch of ideal kick times for us. We are due for a couple late one's. We get 42k for a 6:30p kick Saturday on Homecoming coming off of 3 straight wins.

It doesn't matter anymore honestly, I'm tired of getting pissed off about the attendance at Arizona Stadium because it's never going to change.....it is what it is moving forward. Tucson is not a college football town coupled with the fact that so many people nowadays want to watch the games on their 70 inch hi def flat screens. And phones/Social Media has totally changed the dynamic and attention fans for students.

The notion that the reason we're getting 42-48k a game instead of 50-56k a game, is because there's 8,000 potential Tucson ticket buyers who would go.......if not for the fact that they're still pissed that RR considered the South Carolina job......is just idiotic. Or at the very least a gross oversimplification of what's actually happening.
There's also a matter of the attendance following by a year. 1992 was Desert Swarm, but ended mediocre. 1993 attendance figures did not inspire at all...remember, this is a 10-2 team that won the Fiesta Bowl, had a nationally known defense, and was known to be good from the beginning even though 1992 ended slow, but was the birth of Desert Swarm. So even the year after beating #1 UW and losing to #1 Miami by 1, and emerging as a national defensive power, we still had mixed results:

1993:
UTEP - 44,414
Pacific (a game we needed a comeback to win by 3) - 42,292
USC - SELLOUT...basically...1000 less than.
Stanford - SELLOUT
#25 WSU - 46,675
Oregon - SELLOUT

So it was a mixed bag...3 sellouts, 3 games in the 40s. Seemed the fans turned out when the games were big, except WSU...WSU, even a ranked WSU, didn't inspire our 1993 fans.

But 1994? In 1994, we were on the cover of SI, were preseason top 10, but stumbled to an 8-4 record. We got smacked by Colorado State at home. Yet our attendance

1994:
NMSU - 52,889
Oregon St - 54,245
Colorado St - 56,534 - near sellout
UCLA - 58,817 - SELLOUT (record)
Cal - 58,374 - SELLOUT
ASU - 58,810 - SELLOUT

So, in 1993, we were a MUCH better team than in 1994. Yet 1994 had blistering (for us) attendance. NMSU got nearly 53K, OSU and CSU were 54K and 56K, then sellouts. Not a game under 52,889, and the team was not nearly as good as the year before. Attendance does change some during the year when the team is discovered. But people make plans for the next year to buy season tickets (I have heard from a handful of friends that they are going to make sure to get season tickets next year, after they had given them up). I would expect, if we ride this out and don't collapse, that we will see a similar jump next year. Not to three sellouts...not sure if sellouts are going to happen these days at the current capacity, but I expect 50K+ for every conference game next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with the idea that preseason hype is a huge driver for ticket sales. Without hype, you're basically counting on game week or walkup sales to make up the difference. The more casual fans aren't necessarily hyped about Khalil Tate's emergence.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Another example...even when we KNEW we were good (1998), our attendance went in the shitter mid-season. We all remember the old days as being so great, but this team was 12-1...and we only showed up for big opponents

People simply cannot say things were so much better back in the day. Or that the fans show up in the season if we win...because the facts show it takes a year. What was wrong with our fans in 1998?

1998 - (12-1)

Iowa - 52,634 (not a sellout)
#3 UCLA - 58,738 (UCLA, we are #10, they are #3...lots of things going on here)
NE LA - 39,218 (shit opponent, but we were #14, 6-1, and we went sub 40
#12 Oregon - 44,931 (OK, Olden Days folk...what the fuck was this about? Oregon was #12, we were #13, we were 7-1. 4:30 start in late October)
Washington State - 47,761 (Again, revisionist folk....THIS WAS HOMECOMING AND WE WERE 8-1 AND RANKED #10?!?!?)
ASU - well, shit...a sellout...at 11-1, ranked 7, against OUR RIVAL

Attendance does not get better the same season...not significantly. In Tucson, opponent matters, and so does pre-season expectation
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea would love to see the gen xers and baby boomers explain those stats evcat. Can't blame cell phones and the internet and the damn millenials for 1998. :lol:
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea would love to see the gen xers and baby boomers explain those stats evcat. Can't blame cell phones and the internet and the damn millenials for 1998. :lol:
I'm a baby boomer and I don't try to explain it any other way than we have fickle fans. Its always been this way and I've been a fan since 1967.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well we all know that generally in this country a boomers first defense of anything is to blame cell phones and the internet and millenials.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yea would love to see the gen xers and baby boomers explain those stats evcat. Can't blame cell phones and the internet and the damn millenials for 1998. :lol:
I'm a baby boomer and I don't try to explain it any other way than we have fickle fans. Its always been this way and I've been a fan since 1967.
The reality is it is a little of both. But it isn't the millennials...the Gen X'ers and boomers like HDTV and surround sound, too.

SEC schools have had problems with attendance. I have seen 2 games this year, including the late LSU win last week, where the student section in Death Valley was empty on the top 1/4th to 1/3rd. So many games on at one time...people like to watch at home. As I was leaving the house and my wife and the kids to head down Saturday from Chandler, I said "I really, really wish I didn't have to do this. I'd rather stay here and watch the games with you", and I meant it. But I also do love the stadium environment and feel I am needed. I am not normal. At all.

So, Tucson has always been shitty about showing up for the blah game, AND now we show 43K instead of 47K for bad conference opponents. So a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

One thing that is factual, though, that the numbers here and unposted bear out...the attendance picks up by 4-6K the season AFTER the breakout season. So next year, we are going to have a lot of games in the 49K-Sellout range, rather than the 43K-49k range. And as long as we don't shit the bed (like 1999), those figures will hold all season. And THAT is where this will pay off.

but I really hate seeing this bullshit hammering of the Zoo when the upper deck is half full, the endzones are less than 3/4 full, and the students were forced to pay an Athletics Fee whether they attend or not.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

that was my original point, that the cheap big hi def flat screens affects attendance with the older non-students.....and that shorter attentions spans/social media/phones affects it with students. but of course scumdevil as usual has to turn it into a 'me against you' argument about millennials, when that had nothing to do with my point. And I'm 39 by the way and love my phone.

The point, as stated well above.....is that there are several different things that factor into the 5k-7k decline in attendance in Tucson. And that Chief and Scum's assertion that it's all strictly because all of these thousands and thousands of Tucson locals are harboring this grudge against RichRod for almost going to South Carolina......is stupid. And it's about all they can grasp at right now....in their attempt at 'Rich Rod bad/me smart'.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

HaCats wrote:that was my original point, that the cheap big hi def flat screens affects attendance with the older non-students.....and that shorter attentions spans/social media/phones affects it with students. but of course scumdevil as usual has to turn it into a 'me against you' argument about millennials, when that had nothing to do with my point. And I'm 39 by the way and love my phone.

The point, as stated well above.....is that there are several different things that factor into the 5k-7k decline in attendance in Tucson. And that Chief and Scum's assertion that it's all strictly because all of these thousands and thousands of Tucson locals are harboring this grudge against RichRod for almost going to South Carolina......is stupid. And it's about all they can grasp at right now....in their attempt at 'Rich Rod bad/me smart'.
not any of my points at all. there's a variety of factors that affect attendance. i've stated that several times in agreement with other posters.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

And yes, attendance will be much better next year. No just because of the uptick in the team and Khalil......but also because in the even years we get USC, asu, Colorado at home, and will also have Oregon in Tucson. And to a lesser degree BYU (instead of a Houston).
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Lots of East Valley Mo's will come down to see BYU.

I did a Joseph Smith imitation for one of them - looked at a rock in my hat.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yes if we finish with 8-10 wins we will have a definite uptick in attendance. 10% at least.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Make Miller go out at half time and do the half time show with the basketball team. That will give a reason for the "fans" to show up. Or will it still not be the place to be seen in Tucson then?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

HaCats wrote:And yes, attendance will be much better next year. No just because of the uptick in the team and Khalil......but also because in the even years we get USC, asu, Colorado at home, and will also have Oregon in Tucson. And to a lesser degree BYU (instead of a Houston).
Yeah a home schedule of southern Utah/BYU/Cal/Colorado/USC/Oregon/ASU>>>>NAU/Houston/WSU/OSU/Utah/UCLA

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:Make Miller go out at half time and do the half time show with the basketball team. That will give a reason for the "fans" to show up. Or will it still not be the place to be seen in Tucson then?
just stop.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Does anyone remember what our attendance numbers were in 2015?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:Does anyone remember what our attendance numbers were in 2015?
51,111 UTSA
51,494 NAU
56,004 UCLA
52,987 Oregon St
47,847 Wash St
48,912 Utah
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Better than this year by far

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Better than this year by far
2015 was coming off a South championship and a Fiesta Bowl.. This year is coming off 3-9 and last in the South
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

EVCat wrote:Another example...even when we KNEW we were good (1998), our attendance went in the shitter mid-season. We all remember the old days as being so great, but this team was 12-1...and we only showed up for big opponents

People simply cannot say things were so much better back in the day. Or that the fans show up in the season if we win...because the facts show it takes a year. What was wrong with our fans in 1998?

1998 - (12-1)

Iowa - 52,634 (not a sellout)
#3 UCLA - 58,738 (UCLA, we are #10, they are #3...lots of things going on here)
NE LA - 39,218 (shit opponent, but we were #14, 6-1, and we went sub 40
#12 Oregon - 44,931 (OK, Olden Days folk...what the fuck was this about? Oregon was #12, we were #13, we were 7-1. 4:30 start in late October)
Washington State - 47,761 (Again, revisionist folk....THIS WAS HOMECOMING AND WE WERE 8-1 AND RANKED #10?!?!?)
ASU - well, shit...a sellout...at 11-1, ranked 7, against OUR RIVAL

Attendance does not get better the same season...not significantly. In Tucson, opponent matters, and so does pre-season expectation
The Oregon game was on Halloween ( I missed the game to T or T with my kids) and I remember thinking that this was a darn good crowd given the fact that I would never choose a game over family.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Better than this year by far
2015 was coming off a South championship and a Fiesta Bowl.. This year is coming off 3-9 and last in the South
We were talking about a possible bump in next years attendance.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Also remember while other conferences may not play night games, that is unique to our region and a requirement for half the season in our own stadium. the idea that we can have the night during September and half of October, but then get the day from our broadcast partners is a little self-serving.

Also, other conferences have other issues we would hate. Like the Big 10, that has upwards of 5 games a week kick at 11AM CT. I will take 7:45p all day, or rather, night, over 11a. Night football has always been a reality at Arizona Stadium. The stamped in concrete Arizona Stadium start time was 7:07p forever. That, I will guess, was the start time for over 75% of our games. That is a whole 38 minutes earlier than 7:45p.

Also, back then, not every game was on. Remember watching us just miss by a foot from knocking off #1 Miami in the Orange Bowl in 1992? Yeah? No, no you didn't. Not live. The game was on fucking tape delay.

So now, there are more channels, but there are also about a bazillion televised games. I can see half the NAU games if I look for them. There is still one ESPN, with 3 real channels for games, and the Fox and ABC and CBS games, which are sometimes singular in total.

So where are we supposed to go? Why would ESPN put one of their other games on at Midnight local time to give us an earlier start? We love that ESPN money. Someone posted the games available for ESPN, and it was blown over like "yeah, yeah...whatever...GIVEME 4:30 UNLESS IT IS SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, OR I HAVE PLANS AT 4:30...THEN SWITCH IT DAMMIT #FUCKLARRY

I hate Larry Scott, too, and our fucking network not being on DirecTv or having rights agreements with CBS are, without the Miller mess, fireable offenses. But Jesus Christ on the start time stuff...how the hell would you work it?

Because the only option is start when we want and no TV. But we better play in the MAC...no, they have a shitty Tuesday night deal. So Big Sky?