Tucson Good!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Tucson Good!

Post by ANGCatFan »

Anthony Gimino is now also contributing for Tucson News Now. His first article is the best Tucson players to play for the Wildcats.

His University of Arizona all-Tucson team.
OFFENSE

QB: Jim Krohn, Amphi (1976-79) -- Starter helped usher the Cats into Pac-10.

RB: Ka'Deem Carey, CDO (2011-13) -- Two-time consensus All-American.

RB: Vance Johnson, Cholla (1981-84) -- All-league RB became star receiver in NFL.

RB: David Adams, Sunnyside (1984-86) -- Lots of fun to watch; 2,571 career yards.

WR: Jon Horton, Sunnyside (1983-86) -- Among UA leaders with 136 catches for 2,415 yards.

WR: Jay Dobyns, Sahuaro (1982-84) -- Made 92 catches in his final two seasons.

TE: Richard Griffith, Catalina (1989-92) -- Four-year starter, often asked to block.

OL: John Fina, Salpointe (1988-91) -- One of UA's all-time finest spent 11 years in NFL.

OL: Warner Smith, San Manuel (1991-94) -- First-team All-Pac-10 as senior.

OL: Mike Freeman, Sahuaro (1981-83) -- Went on to play four years in NFL.

OL: Jeff Kiewel, Sabino (1980-82) -- First-team all-league guard in 1982.

OL: Mike Heemsbergen, Santa Rita (1991-92) -- JC transfer was second-team all-league in '92.

DEFENSE

DL: Brooks Reed, Sabino (2007-10) -- 17 career sacks and an NFL standout.

DL: Todd Thompson, Sahuaro (1996) -- Played some; injuries, academics took toll.

LB: Sean Harris, Tucson (1991-94) -- Made 32.5 tackles for loss in Desert Swarm era.

LB: Jake Fischer, Ironwood Ridge (2009-13) -- Smart and productive: 283 career tackles.

LB: Craig Vesling, CDO (1982-85) -- Late INT sealed win over ASU in 1984.

LB: Jerry Beasley, Sunnyside (1984-87) -- Made 134 tackles as a senior.

LB: Adrian Koch, Desert View (1997-00) -- Ex-Marine went from walk-on to inspiring starter.

DB: Jared Tevis, CDO (2011-14) -- Loves to hit; has knack for being in the right place.

DB: Mike Scurlock, Cholla (1991-94) -- Super athlete played five years in NFL.

DB: Clay Hardt, Marana (2000-03) -- Hard-hitter gave his all during tough UA times

DB: Tony Wingate, Sahuaro (2002-04) -- Could play both safety spots, nickel back.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Steve McLaughlin, Sahuaro (1991-94) -- Won Groza Award as nation's best PK.

P: Matt Peyton, Sahuaro (1993-96) -- Topped out at 43.7 yards per attempt in '96.

SN: Jeremy Evans, CDO (1994-96) -- Three-year starter; best snapper of Dick Tomey era.

HOLD: Ryan Hesson, Sahuaro (1993-96) -- Tomey loved "cerebral" skills of backup QB.

ST: Joe Lohmeier, Sahuaro (1991-94) -- Special teams inspiration, battling through injuries.

RET: Michael Bates, Amphi (1989-90) -- Future Olympic sprinter had kick return TD in '90.

Apologizes to (among others) ...

RB David Eldridge, Pueblo; RB Kevin Schmidtke, CDO; WR Chris Corral, Cholla; TE Brad Wood, Sabino; TE Lamar Harris, Tucson; C Wayne Wyatt, Mountain View; OL Mike Ciasca, Sahuaro; OL Willie Walker, Desert View; OL Doug Penner, Sabino; DB Adam Hall, Palo Verde; P Frank Garcia, Salpointe; P Sergio Vega, Pueblo
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Re: Tucson Good.

Post by UAEebs86 »

Frank Garcia was an All-Pro punter in the NFL and played for over 5 seasons.

Gimino - did you not make him first team because he also played for ASU and UNLV?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Frank Garcia was an All-Pro punter in the NFL and played for over 5 seasons.

Gimino - did you not make him first team because he also played for ASU and UNLV?

Before my time but definitely an omission.

http://pcshf.org/bios/garciafrank.php

http://tucson.com/frank-garcia-ath-p-k/ ... 9c2eb.html
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Frank Garcia was an All-Pro punter in the NFL and played for over 5 seasons.

I think that would be why it was called the University of Arizona All-Tucson Team.

I know, first thing I did a double-take at was that Rodney Peete didn't make the list. Probably Larry Smith's worst miss.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

catgrad97 wrote:

I think that would be why it was called the University of Arizona All-Tucson Team.

I know, first thing I did a double-take at was that Rodney Peete didn't make the list. Probably Larry Smith's worst miss.
catgrad97,
He's a Wildcat. He played several years for UofA and graduated from UofA.

But he did spend his freshman season at ASU as a DB and his Wikipedia page says he was at UNLV as well (not mentioned anywhere else).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Re: Tucson Good!

Post by azcat49 »

How does he forget Mike Dawson and Mark Arneson. Are we just talking Pac 12 era?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

catgrad97,
He's a Wildcat. He played several years for UofA and graduated from UofA.

But he did spend his freshman season at ASU as a DB and his Wikipedia page says he was at UNLV as well (not mentioned anywhere else).
Probably the ASU/UNLV connection, then. Didn't his son go on to be an OL for Jacksonville after four years at UW?
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

The All-Tucson team is only for the Pac-10/12 years (explained at the link ... where RichRod also talks about the state of Tucson recruiting, so check it out).

Lots of good choices at punter. I think Peyton, Garcia or Vega all have a case. I went based on what they did at UA, not later in NFL careers, and Peyton had the best average (and he was OK in his one year as PK, too).

Thanks for reading ... will have more stuff at tucsonnewsnow.com later today.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What's up Anthony? Welcome to the forum.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:Thanks for reading ... will have more stuff at tucsonnewsnow.com later today.
Awesome. Great research Mr. Gimino.

Also some great stuff from RR regarding the local youth football scene.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Since nobody told me, it took me a while to figure out where everybody went. I'm enjoying this board and look forward to further crashing the party.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gimino wrote:Since nobody told me, it took me a while to figure out where everybody went. I'm enjoying this board and look forward to further crashing the party.
We're getting ready to migrate (I think) to our permanent home. Check out the board updates section.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:Since nobody told me, it took me a while to figure out where everybody went. I'm enjoying this board and look forward to further crashing the party.
Makes me think we need to reach out to everyone involved with covering the Wildcats so they can be fellow crashers. We're trying to be a nexus of Wildcat info so it would be great if when we link to awesome articles like yours the writers/reporters could chime in like you just did.

Thanks for finding us!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jared Tevis is is a semi-finalist for the Campbell Trophy, college football's top award for excellence as both a scholar and an athlete.
A former walk-on and Tucson native, Tevis earned his undergraduate degree in finance in May 2014 with a cumulative GPA of 3.28. He started graduate classes in business at Arizona’s esteemed Eller College of Management this fall. He’s a two‐time Pac‐12 All‐Academic First‐Team honoree with the potential to earn a third award during the 2014 season.

Tevis is a two‐time All‐Pac‐12 Honorable Mention selection. He’s ranked top‐three among Arizona players in total tackles in the last two seasons. For 2014, he’s a member of the Lott IMPACT Trophy and Bednarik Award Watch Lists.