Post by ramcat »

Lev guessing Helfrich.

https://twitter.com/MichaelJLev/status/ ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by UAEebs86 »

ramcat wrote:Lev guessing Helfrich.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ramcat wrote:Lev guessing Helfrich.

Perhaps he's bringing Scott Frost as his OC and Marcus Mariotta as his QB

Wait I'm being told...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Pass on Helfrich. Although would probably be better than RR.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Talk of Butch Jones reminds me of ASU trying to hire June Jones. I hope the outcome would be the same anyhow.
Timmy1973

Post by Timmy1973 »

The Butch Jones vs Herm Edwards memes would be epic. The football, not so much.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Why are we so excited on Sumlin...he sucked at A&M. He got lucky cause he had Johnny Football for 2 years, he could have made any team good. And Helfich=Tim Floyd. Neither hire would move the needle much here.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Why are we so excited on Sumlin...he sucked at A&M. He got lucky cause he had Johnny Football for 2 years, he could have made any team good. And Helfich=Tim Floyd. Neither hire would move the needle much here.
Who would you hire over Sumlin that would move the needle more? I would gladly take 51-26, with a Heisman candidate and great recruiting.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

I'd go with Sumlin at this point for sure, even though I'd worry he might pull a Taggart. Like that he might retain Yates and offer some stability from that standpoint. Obviously got a lot out of Johnny and might with Khalil.
Want Khalil Happy, might be woefully thin at QB if he jets.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Why are we so excited on Sumlin...he sucked at A&M. He got lucky cause he had Johnny Football for 2 years, he could have made any team good. And Helfich=Tim Floyd. Neither hire would move the needle much here.
He can recruit. Which is what we need our next coach to be...a recruiter first above anything else. We gotta have actual division I talent in the program to get anywhere.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

The west was murder until this past season. He did as well as Mullen, though with better resources.

Still, this is the SEC record at aTm
6-2
4-4
3-5
4-4
4-4
4-4
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Guy recruited the shit out of Arizona two states away. I'd do backflips if we hired him or Lane.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Sumlin, Miles, or Applewhite. In that order.

Hell No on Kiffen or Helfrich. Mike Riley and I burn all my UA gear.

Sumlin did not suck at A&M; he did better in the SEC than I ever thought they would. Ever been to College Station?

A&M thinks they are Bama but they much more closely resemble Mississippi State or Arkansas.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Harvey Specter wrote:Sumlin, Miles, or Applewhite. In that order.

Hell No on Kiffen or Helfrich. Mike Riley and I burn all my UA gear.

Sumlin did not suck at A&M; he did better in the SEC than I ever thought they would. Ever been to College Station?

A&M thinks they are Bama but they much more closely resemble Mississippi State or Arkansas.
I would love Les, but only pending the OC hire.. Dude ruined QB's at LSU. I think Kiffin is more of a hype hire. He wouldn't be here much more than a year or two. But still would enjoy the hype and dgaf attitude.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:
He can recruit. Which is what we need our next coach to be...a recruiter first above anything else. We gotta have actual division I talent in the program to get anywhere.
What the heck, I'll take Sumlin, but let's be clear - we'll be seeing more of the same from him.

Sumlin is/was terrible when it came to:

1) player development, especially along the lines
2) roster stability, loads of transfers to end every season
3) finishing the season strong, how many times did A&M start 6-0 only to flame out?
4) emotional teams, which explains #3
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What the heck, I'll take Sumlin, but let's be clear - we'll be seeing more of the same from him.

Sumlin is/was terrible when it came to:

1) player development, especially along the lines
2) roster stability, loads of transfers to end every season
3) finishing the season strong, how many times did A&M start 6-0 only to flame out?
4) emotional teams, which explains #3
He had multiple oline men get drafted and the #1 pick on the dline
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's really disheartening to see names like Helfrich, Sumlin, Jones and Miles raised as major possibilities. All thise guys got fired for on field performance within the last year-ish.

I think I'd be angriest about Jones because he was at UT during the sex assault issues. Helfrich probably crash landed the worst as a coach. I posted my thoughts on Sumlin being a lateral move in the other thread and Miles is older, and if we think the game passed RR by...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's really disheartening to see names like Helfrich, Sumlin, Jones and Miles raised as major possibilities. All thise guys got fired for on field performance within the last year-ish.

I think I'd be angriest about Jones because he was at UT during the sex assault issues. Helfrich probably crash landed the worst as a coach. I posted my thoughts on Sumlin being a lateral move in the other thread and Miles is older, and if we think the game passed RR by...
Sumlin recruited very well and will likely keep lot of the defensive staff which the players want.

Rank the following teams over the last 6 years.

Alabama
asu
Arkansas
Auburn
Colorado
LSU
Miss
Miss State
UCLA
USC
Utah

Do it and you will see that Sumlin is far better than his record
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Let’s go get Martin and give him a ton of cash for assistants.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's really disheartening to see names like Helfrich, Sumlin, Jones and Miles raised as major possibilities. All thise guys got fired for on field performance within the last year-ish.

Sumlin recruited very well and will likely keep lot of the defensive staff which the players want.

Rank the following teams over the last 6 years.

Alabama
asu
Arkansas
Auburn
Colorado
LSU
Miss
Miss State
UCLA
USC
Utah

Do it and you will see that Sumlin is far better than his record
I posted a lot in the other thread. I disagree and see Sumlin as RichRod from Texas. I won't restate everything in that thread, but Sumlin's recruiting was eerily similar to RR at Michigan, and his record with his own players is below .500 in conference and propped up by OOC cupcakes. He benefitted heavily from inheriting a Heisman winner and a roster with a lot of NFL talent.

Full version of my thoughts, along with stats is in the other thread.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I want LSU DC Dave Aranda for HC. 41 years old, solid recruiter and Xs & Os guy. Will be head coach somewhere soon. A&M is pursuing him as new DC.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatsbyAZ wrote:I want LSU DC Dave Aranda for HC. 41 years old, solid recruiter and Xs & Os guy. Will be head coach somewhere soon. A&M is pursuing him as new DC.
I LOVE Aranda as a coach, but all I've heard is that he's more introverted and prefers being a coordinator bc it spares the glad handling of being a head guy. I lurk an LSU board a lot and they're all convinced he's leaving to be an NFL d/c if anything.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Aranda is a west coast guy so it would make sense from that angle, but yes, the knock is he doesn't see the need to rush to be a head coach . Sort of like Veneable has been
Cave Bear

Post by Cave Bear »

Would you guys consider Rocky Long? Seems like he could restore Arizona's old tradition as a physical, defense-oriented team. I would have guessed him older, but he's only 67 and has taken San Diego State to seven straight bowls with three straight 10 win seasons.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Aranda is a west coast guy so it would make sense from that angle, but yes, the knock is he doesn't see the need to rush to be a head coach . Sort of like Veneable has been
I'm not sure it's a knock. He just may be happier as a coordinator. Having self awareness and not just blindly pushing for a "promotion" isn't necessarily bad.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Cave Bear wrote:Would you guys consider Rocky Long? Seems like he could restore Arizona's old tradition as a physical, defense-oriented team. I would have guessed him older, but he's only 67 and has taken San Diego State to seven straight bowls with three straight 10 win seasons.

No No No No
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Only 67? I thought me offering up Les Miles was a stretch because of his age and he’s like five years younger.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Cave Bear wrote:Would you guys consider Rocky Long? Seems like he could restore Arizona's old tradition as a physical, defense-oriented team. I would have guessed him older, but he's only 67 and has taken San Diego State to seven straight bowls with three straight 10 win seasons.
We need someone like Rocky Long who'll build up the lines but IMO he won't have enough time to fix Arizona because of his age.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

More speculation. Mentions of Sumlin, Littrell, Harsin and Salavea.

https://m.herosports.com/college-footba ... arsin-ahah" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Only 67? I thought me offering up Les Miles was a stretch because of his age and he’s like five years younger.

Les Miles has always been out of touch with offenses. It would be like retreading Tomey.
Cave Bear

Post by Cave Bear »

Chicat wrote:Only 67? I thought me offering up Les Miles was a stretch because of his age and he’s like five years younger.
I think sometimes you have to take a careful look beyond the number. A lot of guys are done before 60, but some rare ones have the juice to continue well into their 70s. Bill Snyder was 69 when he returned to take over KSU the 2nd time. He hasn't had a losing season in the 9 years since returning and has brought them to 8 straight bowl games. I know it wouldn't be a splash hire, but you'll be hard pressed to find a candidate with a better record. You get a proven head coach that knows California and the Southwest. You also get a true rare commodity: a head coach who builds programs that win with defense.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Whenever there is a coaching vacancy, a part of the fan base always says well who is out there???? Who can we hire? And that fan wants to pick a recently fired retread like a Sumlin because they don't have any other names they are familiar with. Those people are fired for a reason people. He would last about 4-5 years here, 0 chance of being .500 or better.

There are over 130 FBS football schools, each school has 9-15 assistants, that's a pool of about 1400 assistants right there, plus indivduals and coaches around the game, hs, former college assistants, nfl assistants, you're literally searching from a pool of thousands and thousands of people who want the chance to earn millions of dollars. The problem is the fan doesn't know their names. I'm up for signing someone totally fresh, young and up and comer ready to recruit his ass off, like a Jay Johnson or Sean Miller type recruiting focus, quit bitching about our deficiencies (the right program with the right people can flourish anywhere, there are tons of college backwater towns that have had decades of success -see KState, Gonzaga in bball)

Of the names I've heard, Dino Babers could be ok, Tate would stay because it's a similar fast playing style. Heeke has a list that none of us are privy to. BTW hope some of you watched that coaches show during the playoff games, was pretty fascinating...Gary Patterson would be a great hire. Perhaps someone like him, smart, knows the game, but not a total and complete douche.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:I want LSU DC Dave Aranda for HC. 41 years old, solid recruiter and Xs & Os guy. Will be head coach somewhere soon. A&M is pursuing him as new DC.
I LOVE Aranda as a coach, but all I've heard is that he's more introverted and prefers being a coordinator bc it spares the glad handling of being a head guy. I lurk an LSU board a lot and they're all convinced he's leaving to be an NFL d/c if anything.
Beautiful. Hire Aranda as DC at $1.8M a year. Hire figurehead coach to gladhandle st $500K a year. Find crazy good read/option OC at $1.5M a year. Coordinators are in charge of recruiting their sides of the ball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chris Klieman
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gary Patterson keeps being mentioned on every coaching search but he's a perennial 10 win team in a p5 conference with oil money. Teams like Florida, Texas, LSU couldn't pry him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jim and Chief making it sound like a deal is done already. If so it in all likelihood is Sumlin
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

More names but starting to think it's likely already been decided.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... =201408#19" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beautiful. Hire Aranda as DC at $1.8M a year. Hire figurehead coach to gladhandle st $500K a year. Find crazy good read/option OC at $1.5M a year. Coordinators are in charge of recruiting their sides of the ball.
He makes more than that at LSU. 1.8 mil this year, 1.85 next and 1.9 the year after.

I'd love the guy, but the price of entering the sweepstakes is pretty substantial.
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:Jim and Chief making it sound like a deal is done already. If so it in all likelihood is Sumlin
Just a guess on my part. I don't know nuthin
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't really want a retread guy who's in his 50s or 60s and was fired from a couple of jobs already. Give me some 35-40 year old dude who's out there to prove himself at his first big gig. I haven't done enough research to know who that might be yet so oh well.

I also agree it has probably already been decided by Heeke...and it likely is some old retread. Shrug. AZ football plods along.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He makes more than that at LSU. 1.8 mil this year, 1.85 next and 1.9 the year after.

I'd love the guy, but the price of entering the sweepstakes is pretty substantial.
Then if not Aranda someone else high end. Set up a situation where you’re offering $1.5M+ a year and you will get very, very good coordinators.

But it’s imperative to find a way to create advantages for Arizona football, and something like that might be the way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's a top target here, but it's not a done deal guys. Some hurdles still left to clear.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:There's a top target here, but it's not a done deal guys. Some hurdles still left to clear.
Name?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Idk why people are so gung ho about a Cecil or Salavea head coach.. I would love either as a DC, but would be underwhelmed if we hired them as a HC
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:Idk why people are so gung ho about a Cecil or Salavea head coach.. I would love either as a DC, but would be underwhelmed if we hired them as a HC
It's just an idea that this would be a destination job for an alumn who bleeds red and blue. Something they have waited for their whole life and would bring enthusiasm and a burning, hungry desire to succeed here for the long haul.

I would rather it be a Chuck Cecil type who was currently a hot successful HC at a smaller school, but I am willing to give my support to something other than being a stepping stone for someone or a career rehab or retirement gig for someone else.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the whole burning desire of an alum thing is massively overrated if you ask me. we aren't nebraska.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote:Idk why people are so gung ho about a Cecil or Salavea head coach.. I would love either as a DC, but would be underwhelmed if we hired them as a HC
I saw Hansen pushing Cecil, Hunley and the UCLA one game HC, forgot his name.

THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE LIFE LONG POSITION COACHES.

if no one ever game them a chance at HC, there is a reason why. You don't do this in a P5 program.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Give me someone young and hungry, been a head coach before, has a winning track record at some level, knows the west coast recruiting scene, likely to stay a while and not hop after first winning season, good recruiter, NCAA compliant recruiter, liked by Khalil Tate, and most importantly: conscious of today's workplace environment norms and accepted practices...that's all.