Post by Main Event »

Supposedly Les Miles reached out
azgreg

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by azgreg »

prh

Post by prh »

What about a young gun trying to prove he's not a retread?
Main Event wrote:Supposedly Les Miles reached out
I like him a lot but just don't feel good about the offensive side of the ball.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I wouldn't mind it, but again pending OC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I like Miles as a person, but there's a reason he hasn't had any buzz for an opening and may have reached out to us.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

azgreg wrote:
If we are going the re tread route, might as well go with the most proven re tread in history.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Good grief no Les Miles please
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
cpt

Post by cpt »

Tedy Bruschi
prh

Post by prh »

If he gets someone really good to be OC and lets him do that job, then I'd be pretty pleased with Miles ( :lol: @Chi). This assumes that potential OC can handle clock management for Miles as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:If he gets someone really good to be OC and lets him do that job, then I'd be pretty pleased with Miles ( :lol: @Chi). This assumes that potential OC can handle clock management for Miles as well.
One of the reason LSU fans were super mad at him is that he reportedly messed with the offense to go run heavy and wouldn't let his OC's run an open playbook.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

If Les is the guy he needs an offensive genius to go along with him
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

AZarchery wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Just remember that Heeke’s number one priority is attendance.
Cool. So its either pimp canes and 5 star transfers every year or the guy who couldn’t win at USC.
Lane was under significant scholarship sanctions at USC inherited from Pete Carroll, correct?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I will be really disappointed if we end up hiring someone who is readily available due to the fact that he just got fired from his previous job for not winning enough.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:If he gets someone really good to be OC and lets him do that job, then I'd be pretty pleased with Miles ( :lol: @Chi). This assumes that potential OC can handle clock management for Miles as well.
One of the reason LSU fans were super mad at him is that he reportedly messed with the offense to go run heavy and wouldn't let his OC's run an open playbook.
Yep and hopefully he's learned from it. RR never learned from his shortcomings, but Miles is at least less arrogant than RR. Hope hope hope that's all we got.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Les was 10-3 10-3 8-5 and 9-3 before getting fired. In the SEC West. I think we would all happily accept those records. Now make him give an OC total control and boom. Might have something.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was miles the coach when tuitama had his brain scrambled?
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I will be really disappointed if we end up hiring someone who is readily available due to the fact that he just got fired from his previous job for not winning enough.
Played in the SEC and his worst seasons were 8 wins...twice. Those were his worst seasons....in the SEC...how did he not win enough?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Postmaster wrote:Was miles the coach when tuitama had his brain scrambled?

Yes
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I don't think so lol
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

most old coaches are not going to change how they do things. they are a stubborn lot. if les didn't give any freedom to an OC before why would he now?
prh

Post by prh »

AZarchery wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I will be really disappointed if we end up hiring someone who is readily available due to the fact that he just got fired from his previous job for not winning enough.
Played in the SEC and his worst seasons were 8 wins...twice. Those were his worst seasons....in the SEC...how did he not win enough?
Because he won a title early in his tenure and they weren't getting back to it. Just like how aTm has Texas type expectations, LSU thinks it should be competing with Bama every year.
prh

Post by prh »

scumdevils86 wrote:most old coaches are not going to change how they do things. they are a stubborn lot. if les didn't give any freedom to an OC before why would he now?
Wanting a job that no one wants to give you is a pretty good instrument of change for most people. The 3 million dollar question is whether it's enough for him.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

prh wrote:
AZarchery wrote:
Because he won a title early in his tenure and they weren't getting back to it. Just like how aTm has Texas type expectations, LSU thinks it should be competing with Bama every year.
That’s fine for LSU, but we aren’t remotely close to them. I’d prefer a young gun but if we go the re tread route why not take the proven winner?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

AZarchery wrote:
Not talking about Miles specifically, but some of the other names being thrown around are SMH dumb. But do we really want another control freak here?
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimson

Post by jimson »

For a re-tread, Miles has a pretty good record.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If Miles wants to come to Az we should jump on it and not even think twice. Track record and the guy can recruit. exactly what we need.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

A name I haven't heard mentioned is Clancy Pendergast. Thoughts?
prh

Post by prh »

TuiTouchdown wrote:A name I haven't heard mentioned is Clancy Pendergast. Thoughts?
I think most of us are meh about him. Was discussed a few days ago but long buried by now.
jimson

Post by jimson »

EastCoastCat wrote:If Miles wants to come to Az we should jump on it and not even think twice. Track record and the guy can recruit. exactly what we need.
I wonder if we could sell recruits on having the only coach in the conference who has won a national championship?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:A name I haven't heard mentioned is Clancy Pendergast. Thoughts?
Talked about him a bit, if went the alumni angle, I'd think he should be on the top of the list. Could have Chuck/Salvea run his Defense. Don't see it though.
prh

Post by prh »

jimson wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:If Miles wants to come to Az we should jump on it and not even think twice. Track record and the guy can recruit. exactly what we need.
I wonder if we could sell recruits on having the only coach in the conference who has won a national championship?
I think his biggest sell is getting guys into the NFL. This article is from prior to 2015 draft, but the numbers at that point already are great. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/ ... suall.html" target="_blank
Here's some other numbers (all from my research) about Miles' 60 draftees before this past week's NFL Draft:

37 were on NFL rosters last season

45 have started at least one game

22 finished last season as starters

7 have been Pro Bowlers

4 have been selected All-Pro

10 have played in Super Bowls

8 have won in Super Bowls
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Correction, he WAS the reason Tuitama had his brain scrambled. All my OU family all claim it was revenge for some OU/OSU spat Stoops and Les had.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Khalil lobbying for Yates. Yikes.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd be fine with Miles only if he loosens up and hires some young gun offensive genius that's under 40 as OC
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'd be fine with Miles only if he loosens up and hires some young gun offensive genius that's under 40 as OC
Agree, I am quite against older retreads, but that would win the presser. Just make him a Joe Pa, let the younger hotter coaches run the team.
prh

Post by prh »

Interesting twist. Tired of hearing the players push for Yates. Yates sounds good because he improved recruiting from a 2 under RR/Casteel to a 4. Bringing in a completely new staff with good recruiters should take it to 7. What's the enemy of great? Good. And the defense hasn't even been that lately, despite being so hyped up. Players want status quo because good recruiting might recruit right over them.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA still has a bottom 20 defense, so not sure what they hype is about Yates. Usually head coaches were pretty good as OCs or DCs
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Miles can be stiff as a board if he can bring in anywhere close the athletes he recruited at LSU. I will take 9 or 10 victories a year, even if the scores are 17-13, and be quite satisfied thank you.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I'm fine with Les, if like everyone said, he brings in young coordinators. Let's not forget he's in his 60s.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

I think Yates has proved himself elsewhere, as his defenses generally have done extremely well, as supported by below article. Understanding the defense and talent he was handed and the undersized dline, the difficulty in defending when opposite of a RR offense being on the field generally for sometimes 2/3 to 3/4 of the game, can't be easy.
Do think his history of recruiting has been pretty solid and he certainly appears to get along Great with the players.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footb ... uez-011716" target="_blank
Last edited by ramcat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
I would love this, especially if we gave him the cash for a top OC
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

While this might not be something everyone would agree with, I think that if there's any substance to the allegations sent to the AG, then this is a situation where you just straight up clean house. Pay buyouts, do what you need, and recognize that you're going to have a couple of bumpy seasons, but hire someone and let them bring in an all new staff. This isn't something you want associated with the program at all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Exactly.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

prh wrote: Interesting twist. Tired of hearing the players push for Yates. Yates sounds good because he improved recruiting from a 2 under RR/Casteel to a 4. Bringing in a completely new staff with good recruiters should take it to 7. What's the enemy of great? Good. And the defense hasn't even been that lately, despite being so hyped up. Players want status quo because good recruiting might recruit right over them.
Yup. This is an opportunity to clean house so clean house. Les, Young OC, who ever wants to stay can stay and let’s all
Move on.
jimson

Post by jimson »

I don't care for the retread route, but there is a vast difference in the level of success Miles got fired for at LSU vs Rodriquez at Michigan.

Like East Coast said, if he wants to coach here and it can be worked out, this is the hire you have to make.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just saw your post azpenguin and I agree. We had the same thought at the same time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Anybody could recruit to LSU. You can fall out of bed and run into a 5 star recruit. Rich Rod could recruit to Michigan for the very same reason. I doubt Les Miles, who has zero connections to the west a la Rich Rod could recruit half as well to Arizona nor do I think he's young enough to do so.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Exactly.
he's had many questionable 4th qtr calls at the end of games. Not sold on Les
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Great name for CEO/glad handler with big dollars set aside for the two assistant positions might be Bruschi if he was interested.