Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by Merkin »

Dude has never had a losing season 10 years. FCS, but quite impressive none the less.

prh

Post by prh »

Baldwin is the type of guy we've been hoping for the entire last year (young up and comer with great football mind). It's just hearing Sumlin and Miles the last 2 weeks that has made us forget this.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Did Oregon State see something we are not? Why wasn't he hired there?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:Baldwin is the type of guy we've been hoping for the entire last year (young up and comer with great football mind). It's just hearing Sumlin and Miles the last 2 weeks that has made us forget this.
Personally I was more along the lines of a Norvell/Applewhite/Harsin up and comer.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yup today is a day I'm not happy. Was ready to renew the tickets when sumlin announced. Ultimately winning solves all but the hype leading to next year would have been unreal. Instead it will be a side note in Wikipedia
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:Did Oregon State see something we are not? Why wasn't he hired there?
They went with an alum, which more often than not is always a mistake.

In regards to Baldwin from what I understand it's not a done deal and neither is Sumlin fwiw. Nothing is done in any way.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

btfd16 wrote:Did Oregon State see something we are not? Why wasn't he hired there?
From talks here in Washington it was always going to be Johnathan Smith. Former OSU QB/ grad assistant alumni type of hire. But there was a lot of wondering that Baldwin would be the better coach.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Ahhh did not realize Smith was an alum.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Anyone was better than RR staying coach but Baldwin is a very underwhelming hire if true.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote:Dude has never had a losing season 10 years. FCS, but quite impressive none the less.

All I think about when I think about Eastern Washington is Paul Wulff and all the "success" he had at Wazzu
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Obviously Baldwin doesn't win the presser, but he seriously could be the best hire we could've made when all is said and done. Dude is for sure getting a head job next year if we don't tab him now.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Merkin wrote:Dude has never had a losing season 10 years. FCS, but quite impressive none the less.

All I think about when I think about Eastern Washington is Paul Wulff and all the "success" he had at Wazzu
Wulff was the first thing I thought of as well.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:I am disappointed that's for sure.
I haven't seen a confirmation yet.

I don't understand the consternation here. We're getting rid of a cancerous drain on our school. So literally the very fact that we're getting rid of DickRod is good.

It'll be Sumlin. Or Miles. Or Baldwin. Or someone we haven't heard yet.

There's no perfect hire, and we need to get someone, so let's just wait and see, and debate the pros and cons of whomever it is...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

How about hiring MIles and then luring Baldwin away from Cal with a break-the-bank offer to be the OC??

I'd take that combination any day..........it would Win the Press Conference.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I know we're all speculating at this point, but if it turns out to be Baldwin, I'll be cool with it.

I'm so done with RR its not even funny. There is no reason why a guy like Baldwin could not be successful if he surrounds himself with excellent coordinators and position coaches.

The staff recruiting their asses off has got to be talking point #1, no matter who is eventually hired.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

dmjcat wrote:How about hiring MIles and then luring Baldwin away from Cal with a break-the-bank offer to be the OC??

While I'm completely guessing, it seems like money is an issue in this coaching search based on the way the talk has moved away from Sumlin/Miles to Baldwin. Therefore, I don't think we will be breaking the bank for anyone.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Ultimately I don't think AZ can pay. I expect Sumlin to move on and you get what you get. Won't have buzz or name recognition. Just a bad situation. Sucks all around
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:How about hiring MIles and then luring Baldwin away from Cal with a break-the-bank offer to be the OC??

Les Miles as our head coach would make my dick limp faster than Hillary Clinton in a bikini.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UALoco wrote:I like the idea of Sumlin and Miles, not sure we can afford them.
took a long time for folks to get here but that is ok.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

So I had to look up this "success" of Paul Wulff.

Record at Eastern Washington: 53-40
9+ wins: 2 (in 9 years)

that is NOT success.

Baldwin record is 95-35 and has never had a season below .500. Won a nation championship. Missed the play-offs 3 years out the 10 years.

I'm really not sure how you can relate the two coaches.

*note: not guaranteeing success, but just pointing out the significant difference between the two.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Never thought I'd see the day I am throwing Chief a follow on twitter. The sky is falling.

We’ll have fun buddy. Experts tell me that I’m a good follow so I can’t be too bad! :lol:
I've always maintained you're entertaining.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

OSUCat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

So I had to look up this "success" of Paul Wulff.

Record at Eastern Washington: 53-40
9+ wins: 2 (in 9 years)

that is NOT success.

Baldwin record is 95-35 and has never had a season below .500. Won a nation championship. Missed the play-offs 3 years out the 10 years.

I'm really not sure how you can relate the two coaches.

*note: not guaranteeing success, but just pointing out the significant difference between the two.
That was more of a Eastern Wash connection but a better example. Bobby Hauck coached at Montana his record

2003-2009

9-4
12-3
8-4
12-2
11-1
14-2
14-1

80-17 Overall record

Gets a job at UNLV 2010-2014

2-11
2-10
2-11
7-6
2-11

15-49

How do we know that

a) success will transfer to major P5 CFB (Jim Tressell?)
b) they're not HC material in higher tier football like a lot of former college HCs are assistants in the NFL. Or lifelong coordinators
c) can recruit

I'm not saying Baldwin will be a bust, but this isn't a slam dunk guarantee he's successful
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UNLV played its football games in a dirt lot. Hauck deserved what he got for taking that job. It was such a bad job they hired a local high school coach after him.

I get the point your making, but Nick Saban couldn't win at UNLV during the time Hauck was there.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I guess Harbaugh is a FCS success story going from San Diego (not state) to Stanford.

And chip Kelly, both recent success stories in the Pac 12 alone
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I'm down for Baldwin. Does not sound like a stubborn stuck-in-his-ways asshole.

https://247sports.com/college/californi ... -105927471" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Get Baldwin and build the program around him.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I do not think Baldwin will pack fans in the stadium next year, but I'd be completely fine with the hire.

I have a friend up in Portland who played college FB and is very connected & in tune with the CFB landscape who thinks extremely highly of him.

And people can blast Chief all they want (Lord knows I've tossed some acerbic vitriol in his direction... I don't care for the repeated 'I know something but can't say' persona). With the benefit of retrospect he was right about a lot more than most of us care to admit... turns out he was not the program cancer. The man in his crosshairs was.

He is not exactly the most positive guy in the world... the fact that he is as positive as he is on Baldwin is a good sign to me. (Unless BB has some connection to USC that I do not know about ;) ).
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

RondaeShimmy wrote:I guess Harbaugh is a FCS success story going from San Diego (not state) to Stanford.

Chip Kelly doesn't count as going straight from the FCS ranks.

And for every success story there's more than a few failures.

Ron Caragher getting hired from USD and going 19-30 at San Jose St.

Craig Bohl hired from ND St is now 22-29 at Wyoming, albeit with two straight winning seasons.

And should we remind ourselves of Paul Wulff, hired from Eastern Washington?

Hiring from the FCS is a mixed bag at best.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Get Harsin!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:I do not think Baldwin will pack fans in the stadium next year, but I'd be completely fine with the hire.

I have a friend up in Portland who played college FB and is very connected & in tune with the CFB landscape who thinks extremely highly of him.

And people can blast Chief all they want (Lord knows I've tossed some acerbic vitriol in his direction... I don't care for the repeated 'I know something but can't say' persona). With the benefit of retrospect he was right about a lot more than most of us care to admit... turns out he was not the program cancer. The man in his crosshairs was.

He is not exactly the most positive guy in the world... the fact that he is as positive as he is on Baldwin is a good sign to me. (Unless BB has some connection to USC that I do not know about ;) ).
When I suggested Baldwin last week, upon the news hitting, noting his impressive resume and lauded work in one year at Cal, Chief replied that, though he liked him, but he was not ready for a big gig yet.
Is he? Maybe not. Oregon friends say he turned down Oregon St in favor of staying at Cal.

Side Note, President Robert Robbins was President at TMC which partnered with Texas A&M, during Sumlin stint, so good chance of at least some familiarity with each other. Speculative though...

Wildcat Authority indicating numerous interviews today...

https://twitter.com/AZAuthority/status/ ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
Last edited by ramcat on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ho hum
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BEAU BALDWIN - CAL OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
WHY HE’S REALISTIC: There seems to be some semblance of buzz surrounding Baldwin at the Arizona opening and the reasons for that are clear. Baldwin has never been a head coach at the FBS level, but the FCS national title he has to his name as the head coach of Eastern Washington shouldn’t be dismissed as inconsequential. The California-born Baldwin is a West Coast guy with recruiting ties to the Golden State as well as the Pacific Northwest. His 95-35 record has a head coach can’t be scoffed at.

WHY HE’S NOT: Baldwin doesn’t have much of a history at the highest level. In last year was his FBS debut. Hiring him is taking a flyer on the unknown as he’s not used to the kind of spotlight that comes with running a Pac-12 program.

REALISM SCORE: 8

MARCEL YATES - ARIZONA DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR/INTERIM HEAD COACH
WHY HE’S REALISTIC: If Arizona is interested in continuity, Yates is the logical hire. It would make the players on the roster happy and provide an easy transition. Yates, who has previously coached at Boise State, knows the lay of the recruiting land in the west. More important, however, is the fact that Yates was a part of seven conference championship runs in Boise. His successful run as an assistant out west didn’t happen by accident, after all.

WHY HE’S NOT: In addition to the whole never-been-a-head-coach thing, Yates has a couple minor smudges on his record <LINK https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... estigation" target="_blank>. And while the incidents are obviously not huge missteps or anything gravely serious, the aesthetics may not be ideal for a program coming off a scandal related to the head coach.

REALSIM SCORE: 7

KEVIN SUMLIN - FORMER TEXAS A&M HEAD COACH

WHY HE’S REALISTIC: Sumlin has proven he can coach quarterbacks with a similar skill set to emerging Arizona star Khalil Tate. See his work with celebrated Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. The fact that Wildcats defensive coordinator and current interim head coach Marcel Yates worked under Sumlin at A&M would also aid the transition. Sumlin did a brief stint at Washington State early in his career, so the Pac-12 isn’t totally foreign to him. That said, his ties to Texas are what’s important, as he could lead a migration of talented players from the Lone Star State to the desert.

WHY HE’S NOT: Sumlin may well sit out a year and wait for a more appealing opening. That could be his choice or the choice or Arizona, which could turn its nose up at a retread in favor of a young head coach. The fit seems to be there, but there are younger, cheaper candidates that pack plenty of upside on the market.

REALISM SCORE: 6

JEDD FISCH - FORMER UCLA OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

WHY HE’S REALISTIC: Fisch has Pac-12 coaching experience, as he served as UCLA’s offensive coordinator this season. He also has experience working with top-flight quarterback Josh Rosen, which may well help he relate to Tate, a budding star at U of A. The 41-year-old Fisch, who has kicked around the FBS and the NFL, has a deep network of coaches that span time zones and experience levels. He would have no problem assembling a staff and would bring some semblance of youth with him to Tucson.

WHY HE’S NOT: Rightly or wrongly, perception means something. In addition to never being a permanent head coach, Fisch is currently unemployed, which certainly wouldn’t help him win the press conference in Tucson. He’s more experienced in the NFL than he is in college football, which is why teams don’t seem to be knocking down his door. There’s plenty of upside in play here, but hiring Fisch is certainly a risk. He doesn’t have much of a reputation as an ace recruiter or proven commodity.

REALISIM SCORE: 5.5

LES MILES - FORMER LSU HEAD COACH

WHY HE’S REALISTIC: He’s a proven winner that has found success on the highest level of college football. Simply put, there aren’t a lot of guys with Miles’ pedigree and experience available at such a late juncture in the coaching carousel. His name recognition and ties to the Southeast’s fertile recruiting ground make him worth looking at. Miles is the closest thing to a splash hire available at this stage.

WHY HE’S NOT: Miles at Arizona could be a fish-out-of-water situation. The former LSU head coach has no ties to the West Coast. The time he spent as an assistant at Oklahoma State is the closest he’s come to the Pac-12, which would be foreign ground to the ageing coach. Arizona may not be interested in the 64-year-old Miles and Miles may not be interested in Arizona.

REALISIM SCORE: 4
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

sadly it appears that Lane Train has left the station and is not part of the search any longer. Real shame. He would do wonders here.

Updated wish list with the names that I have seen that are in the running.

1 Kevin Sumlin
2 Les Miles
3 Beau Baldwin
4 Charles Schultz-Northeast sider
5 Mark Helfrich
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:I guess Harbaugh is a FCS success story going from San Diego (not state) to Stanford.

Chip Kelly doesn't count as going straight from the FCS ranks.

And for every success story there's more than a few failures.

Ron Caragher getting hired from USD and going 19-30 at San Jose St.

Craig Bohl hired from ND St is now 22-29 at Wyoming, albeit with two straight winning seasons.

And should we remind ourselves of Paul Wulff, hired from Eastern Washington?

Hiring from the FCS is a mixed bag at best.
Short of hiring Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Jim Harbaugh (which now looks debatable), hiring a FB coach of ANY background is a mixed bag at best.

There are <5 "sure things" to build a winner in CFB, and we are not getting any of them.

What does not work EVER? Hiring a re-tread who was fired from their last job for being an abject failure. (See Ty Willingham, Rich Rodriguez, & many others)

PS - I would not put either Sumlin or Miles in that last category. They were coaches fired for not meeting unrealistic expectations in a conference that is home to the most dominant CFB juggernaut of my lifetime & a host of other formidable powers.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:sadly it appears that Lane Train has left the station and is not part of the search any longer. Real shame. He would do wonders here.

1 Kevin Sumlin
2 Les Miles
3 Beau Baldwin
5 Mark Helfrich
I'm all in for #4 Charles Schultz-Northeast sider. Seems like he is entrenched in the Tucson community so it would be unlikely that he leaves to another job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hard pass on Helfrich and Rich Rod part deux (Les Miles)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hard pass on Helfrich and Rich Rod part deux (Les Miles)
ANY and I mean it ANY school minus LSU, Bama and Ohio State would have given Miles a lifetime deal
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:sadly it appears that Lane Train has left the station and is not part of the search any longer. Real shame. He would do wonders here.

1 Kevin Sumlin
2 Les Miles
3 Beau Baldwin
5 Mark Helfrich
I'm all in for #4 Charles Schultz-Northeast sider. Seems like he is entrenched in the Tucson community so it would be unlikely that he leaves to another job.
This was a funny post. But for the real reason I put Charles in there was to highlight how much of a drop off I think there is between Baldwin and Helfrich.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ANY and I mean it ANY school minus LSU, Bama and Ohio State would have given Miles a lifetime deal
Sell me on Les being anything other than Rich Rod v2.0 minus the banging other women repeatedly of course.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Sell me on Les being anything other than Rich Rod v2.0 minus the banging other women repeatedly of course.
One losing season as his first HC year

Tons of NFL picks

1 national title and played for another

Has won major bowl games

Do you need more?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Les Miles isn't RR part deux as he can actually recruit and has won a lot before.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Their records, schemes and history were not very similar at all. One is offensive, one is defensive. Only similarity are that they are East Coast guys who had a year off.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Les Miles isn't RR part deux as he can actually recruit and has won a lot before.
Rich recruited very well at Michigan and did win a lot previously. Next?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Their records, schemes and history were not very similar at all. One is offensive, one is defensive. Only similarity are that they are East Coast guys who had a year off.
Well of course Les is a defensive guy and Rich is an offensive guy. I guess the better question is what'll be the difference between a 64 year old Les Miles and the guy we just fired? Both had great success recruiting to power traditional schools, do we really think Les with zero west coast contacts will recruit better especially after being out of the game for 2 years and being that much older?

It's another retread looking for one final cash out. PASS.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
One losing season as his first HC year

Tons of NFL picks

1 national title and played for another

Has won major bowl games

Do you need more?
See my previous post. It's a hire that will pay dividends in the first 2 years with the right OC and we'll be right back in the same boat in year 6-7. Rinse, repeat.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ChooChooCat wrote:PASS.
Les Miles says "what's that?"
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

My guess is that the AD is tapped after giving RR 6MM to leave and needs a donor to commit to 3-4MM a year(on top of what the AD can pay which is maybe 2-3MM/yr) for the next five years to sign Miles or Sumlin.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:My guess is that the AD is tapped after giving RR 6MM to leave and needs a donor to commit to 3-4MM a year(on top of what the AD can pay which is maybe 2-3MM/yr) for the next five years to sign Miles or Sumlin.
I can't help but feel this was a little botched and that he could have negotiated the buy out. "We are going to fire you and if we find there is cause, you won't see a dime". Could have at least brought it down to like 3 or 4 mil I feel like.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:My guess is that the AD is tapped after giving RR 6MM to leave and needs a donor to commit to 3-4MM a year(on top of what the AD can pay which is maybe 2-3MM/yr) for the next five years to sign Miles or Sumlin.

Yep, another reason why attendance at games matters.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
I can't help but feel this was a little botched and that he could have negotiated the buy out. "We are going to fire you and if we find there is cause, you won't see a dime". Could have at least brought it down to like 3 or 4 mil I feel like.
Nah. Do you know Rich Rod? He'd fight that to the death just to prove a point. The AD can't afford a blackeye like that above their heads. Pay him to go away and move on.