Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote:http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Arizona: We alluded to this last night and are continuing to hear today that Rick Neuheisel is very much in play for the Arizona head job. Stay tuned…

Here's yesterday's footballscoop

Arizona: Sources tell FootballScoop a number of coaches have been asked to interview over the past few days including Kevin Sumlin, Neal Brown, Mark Helfrich, Jedd Fisch, Marcel Yates, Beau Baldwin & another former coach who currently is a TV / media presence. We hear a decision is expected in the coming days. Will update as more is clear.

:lol:

fuck me
Wtf
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Thank you for responding. Like I said, I'm not necessarily hyped about someone who was recently fired, but among the "retread" category, Sumlin is probably the best option (if Miles is the biggest name due to NC).

The biggest question I have about Sumlin's potential here revolves around his ability to recruit. Arizona has a lot fewer resources vs A&M, including the fact that most in state talent is out of Phoenix and ASU has a leg up there. I know Sumlin had a good rep at A&M, but Arizona has much less of a base to utilize.
It's completely logical to think that Sumlin would have a harder time recruiting to AZ compared to A&M. However, would you expect any of the other mentioned candidates to recruit as well/better than Sumlin?
Not necessarily. I've pushed Norvell, and I think he would match Sumlin recruiting-wise and has greater player/program development potential. I don't see a candidate that would be someone I'd consider as a recruiting home run.

And if it's Neuheisel, I'm out. There's no real reason to follow Arizona football at that point unless it's a nice day and you want to spend it outdoors in a half full Arizona Stadium.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona: We alluded to this last night and are continuing to hear today that Rick Neuheisel is very much in play for the Arizona head job. Stay tuned…

Arizona: Sources tell FootballScoop a number of coaches have been asked to interview over the past few days including Kevin Sumlin, Neal Brown, Mark Helfrich, Jedd Fisch, Marcel Yates, Beau Baldwin & another former coach who currently is a TV / media presence. We hear a decision is expected in the coming days. Will update as more is clear.

fuck me
Rick has been pushing for any west coast job. He wanted Osu. The guy badly wants to get back into coaching. I believe it’s all nothing but Rick telling people he really wants it.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TX AGGIE is getting me all excited now . . . I want to "dominate in the trenches."
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I will burn Lowell Stevens to the ground.

Would rather have Helfrich.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Thank you for responding. Like I said, I'm not necessarily hyped about someone who was recently fired, but among the "retread" category, Sumlin is probably the best option (if Miles is the biggest name due to NC).

The biggest question I have about Sumlin's potential here revolves around his ability to recruit. Arizona has a lot fewer resources vs A&M, including the fact that most in state talent is out of Phoenix and ASU has a leg up there. I know Sumlin had a good rep at A&M, but Arizona has much less of a base to utilize.
It's completely logical to think that Sumlin would have a harder time recruiting to AZ compared to A&M. However, would you expect any of the other mentioned candidates to recruit as well/better than Sumlin?
I think Sumlin well recruit AZ very, very well, but he has the ability to go nationally. I think that is the biggest difference than the other coaches mentioned. He will also get the best skill players out there. I can see him running a power/smash mouth spread type offense that will be devastating in PAC12. Chip's O has been seen and it will take him time to recruit to that at UCLA, they do not have the players to run his system. Arizona absolutely has the pieces in place for Sumlin to be successful right away. Tate will have a monster year next season, I would expect something in 3500 - 4200 and 35TD range. Looking at your schedule, I think you have at least 5 games that y'all will break the 50 mark on, maybe more.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

fuck me
Wtf
AHHHHHHHH
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

fuck me
Wtf
AHHHHHHHH
PLEASE GOD MAKE IT STOP
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

TX AGGIE wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think Sumlin well recruit AZ very, very well, but he has the ability to go nationally. I think that is the biggest difference than the other coaches mentioned. He will also get the best skill players out there. I can see him running a power/smash mouth spread type offense that will be devastating in PAC12. Chip's O has been seen and it will take him time to recruit to that at UCLA, they do not have the players to run his system. Arizona absolutely has the pieces in place for Sumlin to be successful right away. Tate will have a monster year next season, I would expect something in 3500 - 4200 and 35TD range. Looking at your schedule, I think you have at least 5 games that y'all will break the 50 mark on, maybe more.
I agree, think he would be a great fit.

Plus, I have always liked Sumlin since watching him and Manziel beat Alabama at Bryant-Denny in 2012. It was a fun game to be at. The silence walking out of that stadium was unbelievable. Since I moved to Alabama I have always enjoyed watching their football team lose. The fan meltdown is comical.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Neuheisel is a leak on purpose. He did great with Craft and Prince as his QBs outta the pistol at UCLA. Hahahahahaha
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

BearDown89 wrote:TX AGGIE is getting me all excited now . . . I want to "dominate in the trenches."
I'm excited for you guys too. Sumlin would be Monster hire. I could realistically see y'all competing for division/conf titles within 2 years...........easily. He would be a great fit.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

LOL hiring Rick is probably the only thing that can make Tempe's Coach look good.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

DrWildcat wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I agree, think he would be a great fit.

Plus, I have always liked Sumlin since watching him and Manziel beat Alabama at Bryant-Denny in 2012. It was a fun game to be at. The silence walking out of that stadium was unbelievable. Since I moved to Alabama I have always enjoyed watching their football team lose. The fan meltdown is comical.
That was a great game, and I could see y'all doing the exact same thing to USC! His offense would be stellar in the PAC!
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Gilbertcat wrote:LOL hiring Rick is probably the only thing that can make Tempe's Coach look good.
ROTFLMAO!!!! Rick hasn't coached or recruited in what.....7 years!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TX AGGIE wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:LOL hiring Rick is probably the only thing that can make Tempe's Coach look good.
ROTFLMAO!!!! Rick hasn't coached or recruited in what.....7 years!
2011... Since he got beat down 42-7 against us in the fake ref/fight game.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

chiefzona wrote:Neuheisel is a leak on purpose. He did great with Craft and Prince as his QBs outta the pistol at UCLA. Hahahahahaha
On purpose? Did Heeke just want to make himself look stupid? The only thing that makes sense is if Neuheisel was the one who leaked it.
prh

Post by prh »

Chief should we be concerned yet? Seems like it
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

My work productivity has gone significantly down since the RR news... Can we get this over with
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
Fingers crossed that Neuheisel is this major candidate.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HaCats wrote:I too am starting to get nervous, I had yesterday circled on the calendar and this is starting to feel like it's taking too long and we don't have the coin. If Heeke truly does want Sumlin, it will be amazing to me that we don't have some donors stepping up to cover the difference with the assistants.
If we don’t hear anything by Friday morning ....... panic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Thinking it was Brown
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thinking it was Brown

Just here to post that.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Typed in "Heeke" on twitter and went to the latest posts. Saw this. I am convinced this is what is happening. Hunch it is going to be Baldwin.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

If they hire Neuheisal I swear I'm gonna take a dip and become a Mormon and be a BYU fan.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Stop trying to make Fipp happen Pops.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Beau knows football.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

As long as Beau keeps Yates for now, that's my first choice. Like Sumlin a lot and want a high profile hire, but just think he'd ride Tate and some success for a couple years and bolt.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I am warming up to it. He has a high ceiling, but a low floor. The reason I am warm to it is if he turns out to be a bust, Heeke is out and this process has made me not like Heeke very much. With Sumlin, I wanted to keep Yates. With Baldwin, I kind of want Salavea as DC. Not sure why my mind changes with the coach, but it does.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Que pasando?

Nothing yet? This is not good.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Heeke is having a hard time getting the money for finalizing a deal with Sumlin so Neuheisel’s name is mentioned to speed up the process with Sumlin. Baldwin is right there and I would put a high percentage that he gets offered. I believe there is a dark horse who hasn’t been mentioned who Heeke is keeping close to the vest in case things get chaotic. Neuheisel is the bottom feeder.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

"Kevin Sumlin to be named the NEW Head Coach at Arizona within 1 week. UofA applied for waiver on 10 day posting rule. Yates will remain Dc."

This was posted on our site recently.
It was a tweet from PlayersProgramU. Sorry, didn't know how to post tweets on your site.

I hope this is legit!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:I think Heeke is having a hard time getting the money for finalizing a deal with Sumlin so Neuheisel’s name is mentioned to speed up the process with Sumlin. Baldwin is right there and I would put a high percentage that he gets offered. I believe there is a dark horse who hasn’t been mentioned who Heeke is keeping close to the vest in case things get chaotic. Neuheisel is the bottom feeder.
There are no circumstances under which Neuheisel being mentioned are good. I'd rather have RichRod back than Neuheisel.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:I think Heeke is having a hard time getting the money for finalizing a deal with Sumlin so Neuheisel’s name is mentioned to speed up the process with Sumlin. Baldwin is right there and I would put a high percentage that he gets offered. I believe there is a dark horse who hasn’t been mentioned who Heeke is keeping close to the vest in case things get chaotic. Neuheisel is the bottom feeder.
Speed up the process with who? Boosters saying "fuck that, here is some money for Sumlin"? Because I don't think Sumlin would honestly believe Neuheisel is a legit bargaining chip to make him come down on money.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

There is also a lot of chatter on our site that if Sumlin does indeed take the HC job, Kellen Mond is going to transfer to UA. 5* DT QB out of SA, played for IMG his senior year. Would be a fantastic backup to Tate!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TX AGGIE wrote:"Kevin Sumlin to be named the NEW Head Coach at Arizona within 1 week. UofA applied for waiver on 10 day posting rule. Yates will remain Dc."

It was a tweet from PlayersProgramU. Sorry, didn't know how to post tweets on your site.

I hope this is legit!
That site has no credibility and is a reincarnation of this one mentioned in the article: https://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/med ... id=5028027" target="_blank

Ace is supposedly dead, perhaps killed by Las Vegas mobsters.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Merkin wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:"Kevin Sumlin to be named the NEW Head Coach at Arizona within 1 week. UofA applied for waiver on 10 day posting rule. Yates will remain Dc."

I hope this is legit!
That site has no credibility and is a reincarnation of this one mentioned in the article: https://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/med ... id=5028027" target="_blank

AHH, sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. No one on our site had ever heard of them, we didn't know if they were credible or not. I apologize for posting bad info! I'll check my sources before posting any futher chatter.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TX AGGIE wrote:There is also a lot of chatter on our site that if Sumlin does indeed take the HC job, Kellen Mond is going to transfer to UA. 5* DT QB out of SA, played for IMG his senior year. Would be a fantastic backup to Tate!
Curious, what is your site?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

TX AGGIE wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I hope this is legit!

AHH, sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. No one on our site had ever heard of them, we didn't know if they were credible or not. I apologize for posting bad info! I'll check my sources before posting any futher chatter.
I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty sure that tweet was already mentioned on here earlier.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
Speed up the process with who? Boosters saying "fuck that, here is some money for Sumlin"? Because I don't think Sumlin would honestly believe Neuheisel is a legit bargaining chip to make him come down on money.

Speed up the process with Sumlin. They both might be off on what they want. Sumlin has all the time in the world....Heeke does not. Neuheisel isn’t legit but Heeke is a bit desperate. This is the biggest hire he’s ever made in his life and his job rides on it yet his time frame is short. You could imagine that he’s a bit desperate. That’s a BAD position to be in and I will bet all my money that Sumlin smells it like a shark.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Speed up the process with Sumlin. They both might be off on what they want. Sumlin has all the time in the world....Heeke does not. Neuheisel isn’t legit but Heeke is a bit desperate. This is the biggest hire he’s ever made in his life and his job rides on it yet his time frame is short. You could imagine that he’s a bit desperate. That’s a BAD position to be in and I will bet all my money that Sumlin smells it like a shark.
I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think that Neuheisal was a legitimate candidate if things with Sumlin fell through. What I did find interesting is that the leak talked about hiring a "monster staff" and big assistant names. Considering that it would seem the hold up with Sumlin is the assistant pay it could be that the leak had more to do with the assistant coaches being named than Neuheisal himself.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

You're right that Sumlin has all the leverage, he doesn't need this job. However, I fail to see how throwing out Neuheisel speeds anything up because no one believes he is a legit candidate. I can't imagine boosters would want to give more money to get Sumlin because they fear we would get Neuheisel. If they don't want to pay Sumlin I would assume they push for some coordinator (i.e. Baldwin) or non-power 5 coach.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

chiefzona wrote:Beau knows football.
Beau at $2M acting as his own OC, set aside $1.5M for a great defensive coordinator and $500K for a mad west coast recruiter and you might have something.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

SCCats wrote:
Beau at $2M acting as his own OC, set aside $1.5M for a great defensive coordinator and $500K for a mad west coast recruiter and you might have something.
Yeah. A program that is cheap as f*ck.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dosia wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Yeah. A program that is cheap as f*ck.

How is that cheap as fuck?
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

btfd16 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:There is also a lot of chatter on our site that if Sumlin does indeed take the HC job, Kellen Mond is going to transfer to UA. 5* DT QB out of SA, played for IMG his senior year. Would be a fantastic backup to Tate!
Our site is called TEXAGS. It's a solid forum site. however the free membership portion is nicknamed the "Zoo" there are all kinds of crazy stuff flying around, but the premium site is where it's at. The Moderators are outstanding and post up to date information. Also, there is no sunshine pumping. everything is straight forward and they tell us how it is. if they think we are going 8-4 that's what it is, no 10-2 seasons just to get the masses pumped up. Not like the jack@$$ M^%@#$# @#!$$ *&$$ &%$$ shorthorns!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TX AGGIE wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Our site is called TEXAGS. It's a solid forum site. however the free membership portion is nicknamed the "Zoo" there are all kinds of crazy stuff flying around, but the premium site is where it's at. The Moderators are outstanding and post up to date information. Also, there is no sunshine pumping. everything is straight forward and they tell us how it is. if they think we are going 8-4 that's what it is, no 10-2 seasons just to get the masses pumped up. Not like the jack@$$ M^%@#$# @#!$$ *&$$ &%$$ shorthorns!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I grew up in Dallas I know how the UT-A&M dynamic works. Love it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

DrWildcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

You're right that Sumlin has all the leverage, he doesn't need this job. However, I fail to see how throwing out Neuheisel speeds anything up because no one believes he is a legit candidate. I can't imagine boosters would want to give more money to get Sumlin because they fear we would get Neuheisel. If they don't want to pay Sumlin I would assume they push for some coordinator (i.e. Baldwin) or non-power 5 coach.
I think that Heeke knows Sumlin is the hire that makes most fans and players happy but he’s having a hard time negotiating. His easy pick then becomes Baldwin.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Neuheisel is the ultimate "lowering expectations" leak. So that means is we couldn't nab Sumlin, but anybody else we hire will be a "whew at least he's not Neuheisel."
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

If it's not Sumlin, just hire Tyrone Willingham and permanently kill the program,