Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by btfd16 »

mofo wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Maybe that was meant for Scheer’s lover
I just laughed out loud. This dude is a troll.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Mike Sanford, a 6-7 HC with one year of being at the top, doing worse than his predecessor?

The second part of the joke is that Sanford has a coaching dad also named Mike, if he comes to UA they could be:

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I'm curious if Heeke knows his job is literally on the line? With an underwhelming hire, they better win big fast or he is gone. Robbins did not hire Heeke correct? Robbins was after?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Smokescreen mess and four alarm fire.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Scheer is Tweeting our what I said two days ago. This ain’t chemistry.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

btfd16 wrote:I'm curious if Heeke knows his job is literally on the line? With an underwhelming hire, they better win big fast or he is gone. Robbins did not hire Heeke correct? Robbins was after?
I'm curious to know if you know you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Where do you get this idea that Heeke's job is on the line? Seriously. Stop saying that. So fucking stupid.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

BearDown89 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I'm curious if Heeke knows his job is literally on the line? With an underwhelming hire, they better win big fast or he is gone. Robbins did not hire Heeke correct? Robbins was after?
I'm curious to know if you know you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Where do you get this idea that Heeke's job is on the line? Seriously. Stop saying that. So fucking stupid.
If Heeke hires a few of the names floated I will demand him to be replaced
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

chiefzona wrote:Scheer is Tweeting our what I said two days ago. This ain’t chemistry.
That the money is difficult to come by for Sumlin and staff? I mean... weve all been saying the for the last week, including him.

Not sure I see your point.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's an Arizona head football coach search. Time for local media to act self-important for hits and Twitter followers.

Hansen and Scheer have been the worst offenders so far.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

PHXCATS wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Well then, you should call him right now and make sure he knows not to fuck this up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:It's an Arizona head football coach search. Time for Scheer to act self-important to pad his Twitter followers.
This is his job. Is he supposed to go silent?

:roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Well, his buyout is scheduling a home and home with new team or $100k, so that's a positive, Lol!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote:Well, his buyout is scheduling a home and home with new team or $100k, so that's a positive, Lol!!
That's the best buyout in fricken history, I love it so much lol.

Either way just hire one of the young guns, go cheap, and let's move on with our lives. Sumlin doesn't need us, we have no leverage, I get it.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I don't claim to have any idea of how this process actually works. To me, however, no news is good news in this situation. Heeke has kept this thing under wraps and us in the dark. At least we're not subject to a parade of public rejections/fails in the national media like Tennessee was last month before they ended up with their no name up and coming coordinator. Hell, even footballscoop hasn't had anything to report on this opening in days. Scheer has a job to do and it requires content and clicks so names are flying. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the smoke machine for the AD. The rest of the local media is just limping along with damn near nothing to report.

Other than Neal from Troy nobody has publicly taken themselves out of the running, denied their candidacy or otherwise declined the job.

My money's still on Sumlin...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:It's an Arizona head football coach search. Time for Scheer to act self-important to pad his Twitter followers.

When there's no news to report, yes.

"Don't go to bed just yet"? For what reason?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BearDown89 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Well then, you should call him right now and make sure he knows not to fuck this up.
The athletic department is losing money fast. Football is the money maker. A coach is probably given what? At least 3 years to the next coach. You think Heeke survives a bad football hire, dropping attendance (a losing record which isn’t a given) and an inevitable ncaa penalty in basketball? Lol
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ramcat wrote:Well, his buyout is scheduling a home and home with new team or $100k, so that's a positive, Lol!!

I thought you were joking - this is for real? :lol:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

catgrad97 wrote:It's an Arizona head football coach search. Time for local media to act self-important for hits and Twitter followers.

Do you understand how business works? These guys work for for-profit companies. They aren't public servants working for non-profits that are supposed to just feed you information anytime you want it.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

btfd16 wrote: The athletic department is losing money fast. Football is the money maker. A coach is probably given what? At least 3 years to the next coach. You think Heeke survives a bad football hire, dropping attendance (a losing record which isn’t a given) and an inevitable ncaa penalty in basketball? Lol
If Dan Gurrero can survive multiple millennia at UCLA, despite all his awful hires, anyone can make it past three years and one bad hire.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
jimson

Post by jimson »

For what it's worth, I am hearing that there is some pressure to get alumni on staff in at least assistant roles. If Nuehisel is making the right promises, that might explain why he is being discussed at all.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A neuheisel head coach with alumni staff would be about the worst outcome that could've happened.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

https://twitter.com/bradcesmat/status/9 ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank

Mentions Sumlin interview in Chicago today, one more in morning.
Sumlin, Sanford and Son, Baldwin and mystery candidate in morning. If Neuheisel is TV personality that was eluded too?
Maybe Lane out of left field?!
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:A neuheisel head coach with alumni staff would be about the worst outcome that could've happened.
Nueheisel is pretty underwhelming. Toxic maybe, but don't underestimate the faction that wants more "Arizona men", it's not just Hansen.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote: The athletic department is losing money fast. Football is the money maker. A coach is probably given what? At least 3 years to the next coach. You think Heeke survives a bad football hire, dropping attendance (a losing record which isn’t a given) and an inevitable ncaa penalty in basketball? Lol
If Dan Gurrero can survive multiple millennia at UCLA, despite all his awful hires, anyone can make it past three years and one bad hire.
TucsonClip.. I like you, but come on.... Los Angeles is a little easier to survive than the Dirty T
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:It's an Arizona head football coach search. Time for local media to act self-important for hits and Twitter followers.

Do you understand how business works? These guys work for for-profit companies. They aren't public servants working for non-profits that are supposed to just feed you information anytime you want it.
:lol: Yeah, Hansen keeps Tweeting out David Fipp and Central Michigan "rumors" because he knows what keeps those hits a-coming. :lol:

Do you understand just how lousy an example you wasted all your snark on? Would it be any better if we all agreed to call the Tweet-trawling the clickbait it actually is?

I'm criticizing both those guys because they're trying desperately to sound relevant when they have nothing new to report. I don't give a flying crap about Hansen's love for Dick Tomey's 1991 part-time starter at safety, any more than I do Scheer re-paraphrasing worn-out info.

You want a good follow, Michael Lev's the man right now. Settling us down about Neuheisel and not acting like repeating other people is "breaking news."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So we still don’t have a coach right?
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

As a graduate of UofA and Texas A&M every day that goes by without Sumlin being named head coach here is a miracle in my book.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That's the best buyout in fricken history, I love it so much lol.
Agreed. best buyout i've ever heard of.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

When there's no news to report, yes.

"Don't go to bed just yet"? For what reason?
Because of the Sanford news. Was Scheer supposed to just not report it?

If your problem is with that one tweet, how exactly does tweeting something like that “pad his Twitter followers”? Beyond the fact that he’s paid from subscribers to his site, not how many social media followers he has, do you think that tweet suddenly increased his numbers? Did he not follow it up almost immediately with pertinent info?

I understand that this coaching search can be frustrating to follow but that is in no way Scheer’s fault. All he’s done is provide info. If that is enough to ding someone for being “self-important” then maybe Twitter isn’t for you.
catgrad97 wrote:Do you understand just how lousy an example you wasted all your snark on? Would it be any better if we all agreed to call the Tweet-trawling the clickbait it actually is?

I'm criticizing both those guys because they're trying desperately to sound relevant when they have nothing new to report. I don't give a flying crap about Hansen's love for Dick Tomey's 1991 part-time starter at safety, any more than I do Scheer re-paraphrasing worn-out info.

You want a good follow, Michael Lev's the man right now. Settling us down about Neuheisel and not acting like repeating other people is "breaking news."
Sanford was new info. From what I can tell, Scheer broke that news. He told people to stay tuned because he had actual breaking news to share. You’re complaining that Scheer is providing “worn-out info” that was literally brand new and Scheer broke it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Well at least Sanford has west coast ties. However, it is concerning that he took over for a team coming off 12-2 and 11-3 seasons and went 6-7. Don't know if that is connected to a big change over in players or what. Hopefully its not an indicator of his head coaching ability.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Twitter is not for anyone who gives a crap about our social discourse. It's a haven for trolls, of whom Scheer comes dangerously close to joining with his snark on a slow news day. Without Twitter, we wouldn't have had Trump. That alone makes it not for me or anyone who ultimately gives a damn about the first amendment.

But ok, knowing the name of another irrelevant smokescreen coaching search candidate who doesn't even rate a press conference, much less win it, makes the platform all worth it. :roll:

Chi, you bash Twitter feeds every day on this site. You could have just admitted you were defending Scheer against attack and I would've understood. Following Lev gets you the same info. with more detail and zero attitude.

But nope, instead it's me who can't handle the platform now. Hope you have a better day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dude, you were complaining that Scheer was self-aggrandizing when in fact he was breaking news. News that is definitely of interest to his followers and subscribers. You are complaining about him doing his job. Scheer is supposed to not report Sanford because he’s afraid someone might deem him a “troll”? And what happens to his subscriber numbers if Sanford actually gets the nod? I’m sure he’ll sleep better at night knowing that at least he didn’t offend anyone....

Yeah, I bash twitter personalities..... when they deserve it. You really think Scheer deserved it in this instance? I mean, really?
MountainCat

Aians Quote

Post by MountainCat »

Better hurry. "Bruce Arians Says Nick Saban 'Covets' New York Giants Head Coach Job". Imagine if that happened and what the college football coach carousel could be.

Hopefully we name someone by the end of the day.

Go get Sumlin.
Last edited by MountainCat on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I most definitely give credit to Scheer for nailing actual candidates for the job. That's much more than I can say for the daily star group sans Lev who won't stop talking about a special teams coach alum who was never interviewed for the job. Quite frankly it's embarrassing.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

I've been a big rrod fan from his days at wvu. I defend him and still think he should have had one more year. Not sure if these allegations are true seems like the duke lacrosse case too me but time will tell. I didn't even start following Arizona football until rrod was coach. I'm now close to this team staying up late every weekend from the eastern half of the country streaming games because no direct tv deal with pac 12. I feel close with this team i believe this team was ready for a special run in 2018 and beyond. I'm not too sure now. If sumlin is the new head guy I'll still follow if he's not i still have my mountaineers and wolverines.
Chiefzona i would like to apologize to you. I have said some mean things to you in the past i'm sorry. I would get angry with you because you hated rrod and i like him as a coach. I saw what it was like when my mountaineers were rolling under him. I saw the same thing coming with this team. Rrod was almost there with tate it was going to be exciting. I really do think rrod had a defense next season that would be good enough for a playoff run. So my beef with you is over chief. Chief am i still following the wildcats under sumlin or is it going to bad like I'm hearing?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Twitter is all abuzz about Sanford. A small school no name coach who took a winning program and went 6-7. That will not win Tucson.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I most definitely give credit to Scheer for nailing actual candidates for the job. That's much more than I can say for the daily star group sans Lev who won't stop talking about a special teams coach alum who was never interviewed for the job. Quite frankly it's embarrassing.
Didn't Scheer state Neuheisel? Maybe he's being interviewed this morning but my understanding was that he never interviewed nor was considered.
Is that inaccurate?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Being a candidate and interviewing are not necessarily inclusive
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Thank God and Jesus. Helfrich signs with Chicago Bears
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ramcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I most definitely give credit to Scheer for nailing actual candidates for the job. That's much more than I can say for the daily star group sans Lev who won't stop talking about a special teams coach alum who was never interviewed for the job. Quite frankly it's embarrassing.
Didn't Scheer state Neuheisel? Maybe he's being interviewed this morning but my understanding was that he never interviewed nor was considered.
Is that inaccurate?
I don’t remember who said Neuheisel but Scheer said definitively it would not be him.

I have no doubt that Neuheisel floated his own name. That mess didn’t come from the AD.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Being a candidate and interviewing are not necessarily inclusive
Not sure you can be considered legit or serious, if no interview takes place, as was mentioned by Lev.
Says his consideration was exaggerated.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ramcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Being a candidate and interviewing are not necessarily inclusive
Not sure you can be considered legit or serious, if no interview takes place, as was mentioned by Lev.
Says his consideration was exaggerated.
I am just saying it is a word play for everyone's benefit.

Rick gets press and maybe a raise at CBS.

Heeke gets the pressure he needs to raise more money
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

MountainCat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Hansen wants a young coordinator because they might not already be wise to the “small town sports opinion writer” bullshit he bathes in.
Hey Chi, do people still listen to Hansen? I gave up on him when he was so unprofessional in his feud with Lute way way back.
I don’t.

All the new coach needs to do to get Hansen on his side forever is take him golfing and ask him to tell some stories about Utah high school sports.

Hanson is a weasel and probably cheats at miniature golf.
There I corrected it for you.

Thank you, that does look better.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote:
ramcat wrote:
Is that inaccurate?
I don’t remember who said Neuheisel but Scheer said definitively it would not be him.

I have no doubt that Neuheisel floated his own name. That mess didn’t come from the AD.
Phoenix sports radio, 98.7 said reports of Neuheisel as candidate for position were reported by Jason Scheer in interview on station.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Arizona: Sources tell FootballScoop Rick Neuheisel and Neal Brown are no longer candidates for the position.

Western Kentucky: According to Chad Bishop who covers WKU football, WKU athletic director Todd Stewart spoke with Mike Sanford and there is no truth to the report of him as a major candidate at Arizona and that “he is committed to the WKU job and excited about the future.”

Chicago Bears: Adam Hoge tweets that there have been talks between the Bears and former Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich about the offensive coordinator job.

Arizona: Western Kentucky head coach Mike Sanford has emerged as a “major candidate” for Arizona’s head coaching opening, according to Jason Scheer. Scheer adds that while he can’t confirm Sanford has an offer, he does believe he is a finalist for the job and also adds that Kevin Sumlin is still a candidate, but money has likely been the biggest obstacle standing in the way.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/" target="_blank
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Well seems like another floater given to Scheer for a purpose

Seems like it is now

Sumlin if money can be brought in/raised

Baldwin if not

Les Miles is Charlie Kelly since it has been so quite with him and no sign of him not being considered anymore