Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UofAlum05

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by UofAlum05 »

prh wrote:It's fine if the boosters don't want to support enough for Sumlin, but they need to be ok with the results of that decision.
They need to demand that the school Presidents get rid of Larry Scott.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:Does anybody have any evidence that these leaks are from Heeke himself or his staff? Or are we just assuming?

The only name i actually know that was handed to the media was Neuheisel and unfortunately, some took the bait. We might find that out to be true with Sanford. I believe Sanford was leaked to get last minute boosters for Sumlin.
Leaked by who?

I was told by Heeke's camp.
prh

Post by prh »

UofAlum05 wrote:
prh wrote:It's fine if the boosters don't want to support enough for Sumlin, but they need to be ok with the results of that decision.
They need to demand that the school Presidents get rid of Larry Scott.
Fully agreed. Looks like the WSU and Cal presidents are the only ones doing anything though.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

If they complain about attendance I might lose it
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UofAlum05 wrote:Even if the Boosters came through with the extra $2 million, won't it concern Sumlin how hard it was to get that extra $2 million?
I don't think so. Not if he believes he can win year 1. Money comes with winning.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Even if the Boosters came through with the extra $2 million, won't it concern Sumlin how hard it was to get that extra $2 million?
I don't think so. Not if he believes he can win year 1. Money comes with winning.
If Sumlin starts winning big, I don't know why he'd worry. If he does well here and we don't pony up, he can move to another school that will.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote: The athletic department is losing money fast. Football is the money maker. A coach is probably given what? At least 3 years to the next coach. You think Heeke survives a bad football hire, dropping attendance (a losing record which isn’t a given) and an inevitable ncaa penalty in basketball? Lol
If Dan Gurrero can survive multiple millennia at UCLA, despite all his awful hires, anyone can make it past three years and one bad hire.
TucsonClip.. I like you, but come on.... Los Angeles is a little easier to survive than the Dirty T
I was being sarcastic. But one a serious note, can anyone name an AD that was fired based on one hire three years in?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:Does anybody have any evidence that these leaks are from Heeke himself or his staff? Or are we just assuming?

The only name i actually know that was handed to the media was Neuheisel and unfortunately, some took the bait. We might find that out to be true with Sanford. I believe Sanford was leaked to get last minute boosters for Sumlin.
Leaked by who?

If that's in fact the case then it's horseshit games IMHO.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Leaked by who?

If that's in fact the case then it's horseshit games IMHO.
Mid Major games don't work at this level.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote: The athletic department is losing money fast. Football is the money maker. A coach is probably given what? At least 3 years to the next coach. You think Heeke survives a bad football hire, dropping attendance (a losing record which isn’t a given) and an inevitable ncaa penalty in basketball? Lol
If Dan Gurrero can survive multiple millennia at UCLA, despite all his awful hires, anyone can make it past three years and one bad hire.
TucsonClip.. I like you, but come on.... Los Angeles is a little easier to survive than the Dirty T
I was being sarcastic. But one a serious note, can anyone name an AD that was fired based on one hire three years in?
John Currie was fired for a speculative hire hahah granted, we aren't Tennessee nor is this search. Nebraska was 5. Steve Patterson was 22 months.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
John Currie was fired for a speculative hire hahah granted, we aren't Tennessee nor is this search. Nebraska was 5. Steve Patterson was 22 months.
What do Texas and Nebraska not have in common with Arizona? $$$.

Point being, we can barely scrounge up the cash to fire a coach. No way we are going to fire an AD. He has five years until his contract is up.

-Shane Battier
jimson

Post by jimson »

Merkin wrote::D

I might actually get behind this if it was in a CEO role with super well paid assistants to do the actual coaching.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

jimson wrote:

I might actually get behind this if it was in a CEO role with super well paid assistants to do the actual coaching.
Absolutely.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UofAlum05 wrote:I'm seeing tweets and message board posts a few people pissed off at the Boosters. But keep in mind these people made a ton of money in their lives for a reason and it shouldn't be up to them to stretch their resources because of Larry Scott's failed promises. If the Pac-12 had come through with the money that was thought to happen a few years ago then we wouldn't be resorting to begging boosters for an additional $2 million right now.

Agree. No place to ever be upset with another person not giving enough
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

SCCats wrote:
jimson wrote:

Absolutely.
I just want one of those Starter jackets.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:Dude, you were complaining that Scheer was self-aggrandizing when in fact he was breaking news. News that is definitely of interest to his followers and subscribers. You are complaining about him doing his job. Scheer is supposed to not report Sanford because he’s afraid someone might deem him a “troll”? And what happens to his subscriber numbers if Sanford actually gets the nod? I’m sure he’ll sleep better at night knowing that at least he didn’t offend anyone....

Yeah, I bash twitter personalities..... when they deserve it. You really think Scheer deserved it in this instance? I mean, really?
Considering that his "breaking news" was, in fact, a complete mirage, yes.

He could have waited until the morning, or at least vetted his source more fully.

Do you really feel like that lost sleep last night was worth it over a damn floater who was never a serious candidate?

Let's be honest: You can't not like Scheer personally. Good dad, good teacher, and I still hope he was the one who, if it indeed happened, deep-sixed Ace.

But there are reasons why he doesn't work for the local mainstream media. Last night's irresponsible tease was just the latest. And yes, I absolutely dislike the way he talks down to people on Twitter like he's a program insider, only to go silent when people call out when he gets fed false info. Like in this case.

My last newspaper editor was like that. Incredibly arrogant to his co-workers, snarky to his readers but would always go full turtle or blame others when he'd get caught being wrong. Which he was. By me. More than once.

You put yourself out there, you'd better have the humility to deal with it when you've been misinforming the public. Your mistakes are nobody else's problems but your own.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Are we sure that Sanford is not a candidate still? Scheer says he still is and has been first to market with everything so far
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Dude, you were complaining that Scheer was self-aggrandizing when in fact he was breaking news. News that is definitely of interest to his followers and subscribers. You are complaining about him doing his job. Scheer is supposed to not report Sanford because he’s afraid someone might deem him a “troll”? And what happens to his subscriber numbers if Sanford actually gets the nod? I’m sure he’ll sleep better at night knowing that at least he didn’t offend anyone....

Yeah, I bash twitter personalities..... when they deserve it. You really think Scheer deserved it in this instance? I mean, really?
Considering that his "breaking news" was, in fact, a complete mirage, yes.

He could have waited until the morning, or at least vetted his source more fully.

Do you really feel like that lost sleep last night was worth it over a damn floater who was never a serious candidate?

Let's be honest: You can't not like Scheer personally. Good dad, good teacher, and I still hope he was the one who, if it indeed happened, deep-sixed Ace.

But there are reasons why he doesn't work for the local mainstream media. Last night's irresponsible tease was just the latest. And yes, I absolutely dislike the way he talks down to people on Twitter like he's a program insider, only to go silent when people call out when he gets fed false info. Like in this case.

My last newspaper editor was like that. Incredibly arrogant to his co-workers, snarky to his readers but would always go full turtle or blame others when he'd get caught being wrong. Which he was. By me. More than once.

You put yourself out there, you'd better have the humility to deal with it when you've been misinforming the public. Your mistakes are nobody else's problems but your own.
You lost sleep last night because of Scheer’s tweet??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Merkin wrote:
I need the damn Swagcopter so hard.

-Shane Battier
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The CAL side is VERY quiet. VERY. Wow.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

:(
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Hoping for a miracle.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:Hoping for a miracle.
Meaning Sumlin needs a thing or two to fall our way to happen?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

...you mean "a thing or two" million to "fall our way..."
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The longer this goes on without a peep the more I think it will be Sumlin. Usually in these type of things it would have leaked somewhere that he's lost interest or something. I'm thinking Heeke wants to make a big splash at the bball game tonight. That splash isn't very big if he bring Baldwin out onto the court. I think Baldwin is a fine coach but in reality Sumlin is the PR win that this program and University desperately need.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UofAlum05 wrote:The longer this goes on without a peep the more I think it will be Sumlin. Usually in these type of things it would have leaked somewhere that he's lost interest or something. I'm thinking Heeke wants to make a big splash at the bball game tonight. That splash isn't very big if he bring Baldwin out onto the court. I think Baldwin is a fine coach but in reality Sumlin is the PR win that this program and University desperately need.
I would love for Heeke to roll out Sumlin tonight and give a Jim Tressel speech but you think he would hold it that close to the vest (pun intended) that Scheer or anyone else wouldn't know by now?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:The longer this goes on without a peep the more I think it will be Sumlin. Usually in these type of things it would have leaked somewhere that he's lost interest or something. I'm thinking Heeke wants to make a big splash at the bball game tonight. That splash isn't very big if he bring Baldwin out onto the court. I think Baldwin is a fine coach but in reality Sumlin is the PR win that this program and University desperately need.
I would love for Heeke to roll out Sumlin tonight and give a Jim Tressel speech but you think he would hold it that close to the vest (pun intended) that Scheer or anyone else wouldn't know by now?
Bring Sumlin out on the Rawle bike!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

If nothing leaks out before and if Sumlin isn't introduced tonight at the basketball game, I'll be fully convinced it's Baldwin. No reason not to introduce him tonight if it's Sumlin
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Bring Sumlin out on the Rawle bike!
If Sumlin comes out on the court I will take back everything I have ever said about Heeke.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

keep an eye on that flight tracker
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:keep an eye on that flight tracker
Anyone have the link to the booster's plane in flight tracker?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know everyone is talking about assistant money being the issue keeping Sumlin from being hired (and that Machina has taken that and run with it to call everyone bad fans for not buying tickets :roll: ), but oftentimes the issue is that ABOR won’t allow contracts over two years. If I’m a football coach, I want more security than that for my guys.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:I know everyone is talking about assistant money being the issue keeping Sumlin from being hired (and that Machina has taken that and run with it to call everyone bad fans for not buying tickets :roll: ), but oftentimes the issue is that ABOR won’t allow contracts over two years. If I’m a football coach, I want more security than that for my guys.
Never knew that. What was RR initial contract?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

btfd16 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I know everyone is talking about assistant money being the issue keeping Sumlin from being hired (and that Machina has taken that and run with it to call everyone bad fans for not buying tickets :roll: ), but oftentimes the issue is that ABOR won’t allow contracts over two years. If I’m a football coach, I want more security than that for my guys.
2 year terms for assistants, not the HC

Unless I'm misreading
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
2 year terms for assistants, not the HC

Unless I'm misreading
My fault. That makes more sense.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I believe HCs get 5 year max deals
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
Only assistants. Head coaches can be 5 years.

I don't believe that is the issue here though since this has been know forever and there are work arounds
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What's the better scenario?

Roll out Sumlin today for the first word on it at the bball game on PAC12

Roll out Sumlin Saturday for first public appearance on ESPN2 but announce/leak hire today
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:What's the better scenario?

Roll out Sumlin Saturday for first public appearance on ESPN2 but announce/leak hire today
Just announce it today. Recruiting dead period ends today.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Late to it...but yeah. The "Stay up tonight...big news" thing by Scheer was BS.

As was his "Sanford tore it up as Offensive Coordinator at Notre Dame" response to questioning about Sanford's viability as a candidate. No...not under any metric was that true. They were OK one year and pretty awful the other.

He is generally pretty good with finding the line between sales and reporting, and seems to be a good guy. Last night, he either fell for the bait bad or manipulated the situation for subscriptions (subs should come naturally because of reporting). I would say it was, unfortunately, the latter given his attempts to defend Sanford as a legit option when it was pointed out that there was no way, even without insider information, Sanford could be considered a reasonable candidate for our job off of a mediocre period as OC at Notre Dame and a 6-7 record at a mid-major as a head coach. He even threw out something about being from a coaching family...not sure that helps in this case.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:What's the better scenario?

Just announce it today. Recruiting dead period ends today.
Yeah today, Saturday is an afternoon game while the NFL playoffs are on. Nothing is breaking through the NFL
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

EVCat wrote:Late to it...but yeah. The "Stay up tonight...big news" thing by Scheer was BS.

As was his "Sanford tore it up as Offensive Coordinator at Notre Dame" response to questioning about Sanford's viability as a candidate. No...not under any metric was that true. They were OK one year and pretty awful the other.

He is generally pretty good with finding the line between sales and reporting, and seems to be a good guy. Last night, he either fell for the bait bad or manipulated the situation for subscriptions (subs should come naturally because of reporting). I would say it was, unfortunately, the latter given his attempts to defend Sanford as a legit option when it was pointed out that there was no way, even without insider information, Sanford could be considered a reasonable candidate for our job off of a mediocre period as OC at Notre Dame and a 6-7 record at a mid-major as a head coach. He even threw out something about being from a coaching family...not sure that helps in this case.

I’m his defense, there has been tons of smoke and it’s hard to stay on top of it. Heeke has gone dark which could mean two things. One being a decision is made. Two....he’s played all his cards with Sumlin and still waiting. The bait game is done. I’ve had my differences with Scheer in the past but not now. The media is susceptible to smoke, sadly.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

DrWildcat wrote:I believe HCs get 5 year max deals
Yes, this is why they have added the automatic 1-year addition to Miller contract at the end of every season.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

As for this...yeah, I hope Sumlin, and every minute it drags out is positive in the telethon to close...

But I think Baldwin is a legit hire. We won't ever know how good a hire actually is until the job has been done...a couple of years or so. But Baldwin seems to be a legit prospect at this level of coaching and if we cannot pay for Sumlin, we cannot pay for him. It's a shame, but it is also reality. We are pretty leveraged and potentially facing increased premiums on insurance and maybe direct cash payouts for a few things, including RichRod's exit. If Sumlin's demands are beyond reasonable for our budget, that's reality.

I am sure Heeke wants to win this presser more than anyone. And if the number is in the "stretch until it hurts but we can fake it for a bit to make it", I am sure it will happen. I highly doubt missing Sumlin is a matter of Heeke going "ehh...I just really don't want to pay that much."

But every moment it is alive as a search...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

EVCat wrote:As for this...yeah, I hope Sumlin, and every minute it drags out is positive in the telethon to close...

But I think Baldwin is a legit hire. We won't ever know how good a hire actually is until the job has been done...a couple of years or so. But Baldwin seems to be a legit prospect at this level of coaching and if we cannot pay for Sumlin, we cannot pay for him. It's a shame, but it is also reality. We are pretty leveraged and potentially facing increased premiums on insurance and maybe direct cash payouts for a few things, including RichRod's exit. If Sumlin's demands are beyond reasonable for our budget, that's reality.

I am sure Heeke wants to win this presser more than anyone. And if the number is in the "stretch until it hurts but we can fake it for a bit to make it", I am sure it will happen. I highly doubt missing Sumlin is a matter of Heeke going "ehh...I just really don't want to pay that much."

But every moment it is alive as a search...
Also remember this
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Believe it or not.....this has been a tough one to follow. Heeke has done some stupid things and a couple genius things. We shall see if it pays off.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I just watched the X Files, I Want to Believe
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gilbertcat wrote:I just watched the X Files, I Want to Believe

The truth is out there.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

I may have missed it, but has anyone found anything on Baldwin's track record/ability as a recruiter?
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion