Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by chiefzona »

ProfessorFate wrote:I may have missed it, but has anyone found anything on Baldwin's track record/ability as a recruiter?

Yes. He’s a solid evaluator and recruiter and has very good west coast connections.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
ProfessorFate wrote:I may have missed it, but has anyone found anything on Baldwin's track record/ability as a recruiter?

Yes. He’s a solid evaluator and recruiter and has very good west coast connections.
That disqualifies him as an Arizona coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

DrWildcat wrote:I believe HCs get 5 year max deals
Just a side note. Lute, for most of his tenure at Arizona, only had one year contracts as that was what the ABOR only allowed then. Don't recall Lute having any problems recruiting due to that.

DeConcini, as we all know, hates athletics, and IIRC was against increasing the contracts to 5 years.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Much more excited if its Baldwin and not Sumlin.

Sumlin is really not the white whale and grand prize some people think he is. He is an above average recruiter that is terrible at developing players and has awful judgement when hiring and managing coordinators and position coaches. His shtick grew tired at A&M after year after year of his teams falling apart a few games into conference play and it being more evident that his only good years were the result of Johnny (who was recruited by Sherman), Kliff Kingsbury as the OC, and a bevy of pros on both sides of the ball.

He brings a "CEO" approach to the program, which is code for building his bones by taking credit for the successes of position coaches and coordinators when they succeed, and throwing them under the bus by firing them when they fail. He is an expert at avoiding responsibility for any faults on his team.

He held A&M hostage every offseason while he flirted with the NFL and other open jobs (sound familiar?), culminating in an outrageous buyout that prevented A&M from firing him a year earlier than they did once it was tiredly clear he was all flash and no substance.

Do not want.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:Much more excited if its Baldwin and not Sumlin.

Sumlin is really not the white whale and grand prize some people think he is. He is an above average recruiter that is terrible at developing players and has awful judgement when hiring and managing coordinators and position coaches. His shtick grew tired at A&M after year after year of his teams falling apart a few games into conference play and it being more evident that his only good years were the result of Johnny (who was recruited by Sherman), Kliff Kingsbury as the OC, and a bevy of pros on both sides of the ball.

He brings a "CEO" approach to the program, which is code for building his bones by taking credit for the successes of position coaches and coordinators when they succeed, and throwing them under the bus by firing them when they fail. He is an expert at avoiding responsibility for any faults on his team.

He held A&M hostage every offseason while he flirted with the NFL and other open jobs (sound familiar?), culminating in an outrageous buyout that prevented A&M from firing him a year earlier than they did once it was tiredly clear he was all flash and no substance.

Do not want.
This is entirely consistent with what I've been told by two aTm alums in our Dallas office. We had a call on a deal the other day and they led with 30 minutes of this before we got down to actual work-related business. It's quite the contrary to what our guest TX AGGIE has posted.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Below average recruiting at Texas A&M = The best recruiting Arizona has ever had
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UofAlum05 wrote:Below average recruiting at Texas A&M = The best recruiting Arizona has ever had
Also, Texas A&M won the in-state recruiting battle...in Arizona...too many years.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. That’s it and that’s all. I’ve heard all the bitching about him and I honestly believe some of it is angry Aggie racist guy who wanted a white guy in there. Well y’all got Big Jimbo! Yeehaw!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

That disqualifies him as an Arizona coach.
:lol:

“That’s nice, but historically how has he recruited Louisiana?”
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

chiefzona wrote:Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. That’s it and that’s all. I’ve heard all the bitching about him and I honestly believe some of it is angry Aggie racist guy who wanted a white guy in there. Well y’all got Big Jimbo! Yeehaw!
"Everyone who doesn't like Sumlin is a RAYCIS!!11!"

Lol.

I want him too, but I can easily see a school with lots of expectations having problems with a coach that doesn't deliver.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I heard Sumlin will be serving nachos in Mckale tonite.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

chiefzona wrote:Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. That’s it and that’s all. I’ve heard all the bitching about him and I honestly believe some of it is angry Aggie racist guy who wanted a white guy in there. Well y’all got Big Jimbo! Yeehaw!
Ahh yes, confirmation bias and race-baiting, a nuanced response to cautioning that Sumlin might not be all that he is made out to be.
Sid

Post by Sid »

UALoco wrote:I heard Sumlin will be serving nachos in Mckale tonite.
Pimp cane nachos....I like it!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

race baiting - a term usually only used by racists. but alas...

i'm not 100% sold on Sumlin either but he sure seems like a hell of an upgrade over Rich Rod.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Please don't use words like "racist conservatives" It makes some posters angry having to think about what their elected president said today.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

scumdevils86 wrote:i'm not 100% sold on Sumlin either but he sure seems like a hell of an upgrade over Rich Rod.
Honestly it probably really depends on how he puts his staff together/whether he makes the right staffing calls or not as to whether he's an upgrade, the same or...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

scumdevils86 wrote:race baiting - a term usually only used by racists. but alas...

i'm not 100% sold on Sumlin either but he sure seems like a hell of an upgrade over Rich Rod.
I think its an upgrade purely on the positive PR alone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:

Lol.

I want him too, but I can easily see a school with lots of expectations having problems with a coach that doesn't deliver.
Yeah. Chief's dropped the racism line a few times, like there's no possibility A&M was mad that he was earning a 5 million base salary (top ten nationally) and going sub .500 in conference over the last 4 years.

I don't hate Sumlin, but geez, A&M was paying him a playoff level salary and he wasn't delivering near that level of results. They threw 75 mil into Jimbo for a reason, because they want results.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

qwertyus wrote:

Lol.

How does chief's usage of the phrase "some of it" turn into "everyone" in your mind?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Lol.

How does chief's usage of the phrase "some of it" turn into "everyone" in your mind?

Exactly. Some of the complaining I think is warranted. Good recruiter. Good player development. Player’s coach. Guy can walk in SoCal on campuses and HS recruits know exactly who he is. I think his assistant hires have been fine minus a couple. Good X’s and O’s. He built the Houston football program. He has sent more people to the NFL at Houston than RR has in his career.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I'm just picturing halftime at the game tonight. Heeke walking out on the court: "There's someone here I want you to meet." Crowd goes wild. Beau Baldwin strolls out. Silence. Someone yells "who the fook is that guy?"
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:I'm just picturing halftime at the game tonight. Heeke walking out on the court: "There's someone here I want you to meet." Crowd goes wild. Beau Baldwin strolls out. Silence. Someone yells "who the fook is that guy?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

btfd16 wrote:I'm just picturing halftime at the game tonight. Heeke walking out on the court: "There's someone here I want you to meet." Crowd goes wild. Beau Baldwin strolls out. Silence. Someone yells "who the fook is that guy?"
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well the good news would be that considering its on the P12 Network, nobody would know who the selection is anyway.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Just found out I work in the building adjacent to DHR International. Maybe I can go sneak some info.

Edit: Not the sports division... Just walked over to ask lol
jimson

Post by jimson »

Or maybe some of you are all in his jock simply because he's black?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

jimson wrote:
found him.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Just spoke with a CAL guy and he said they have heard nothing about Baldwin.
prh

Post by prh »

Can we please leave the race discussion for the lower boards. The initial comment about Aggie fans seemed fair but discussion quickly devolved after that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

prh wrote:Can we please leave the race discussion for the lower boards. The initial comment about Aggie fans seemed fair but discussion quickly devolved after that.
It's a valid discussion to have regarding our potential new coach and his former employer and his previous fan base. So no. Apologies if acknowledging race makes you uncomfortable.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hey PHXCat-

Why are you only reporting people pointing out potential racist posts instead of the actual racist posts?

Weird what makes you angry...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

jimson wrote:
I’d prefer a qualified African American coach if he’s available and has mutual interest, all other things being equal. How many White guys we had in a row now? ;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

scumdevils86 wrote:
prh wrote:Can we please leave the race discussion for the lower boards. The initial comment about Aggie fans seemed fair but discussion quickly devolved after that.
It's a valid discussion to have regarding our potential new coach and his former employer and his previous fan base. So no. Apologies if acknowledging race makes you uncomfortable.
I don't mind discussing the race of the football coach, but it's silly when it devolves into talking about race baiting and calling out posters. I thought I was clear in my first post but if you'd rather talk about posters instead of the coach then keep going. But it's stupid considering this same pattern happens almost daily around here. Someone makes a relevant post touching on political topic, then people want to talk about that topic instead of the actual relevant conversation.

Nothing makes me uncomfortable to talk about, but I hate finding threads with a full page of bullshit arguments.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's all related in 2018. Again sorry it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to respond.
prh

Post by prh »

Both of my posts you read the first half but not the second good job
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Hey PHXCat-

Why are you only reporting people pointing out potential racist posts instead of the actual racist posts?

I reported Jim's as well.

Don't make shit up
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:

Don't make shit up
You just changed the post you reported. It was initially Scum's post now it says Jim's.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Don't make shit up
You just changed the post you reported. It was initially Scum's post now it says Jim's.
I reported both.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Oh my god who cares? Can we hire Sumlin now?
prh

Post by prh »

I'm just now watching college football live from today (saw we were mentioned). They led with our coaching search-- "we haven't heard anything of what's next for the Wildcats, very little speculation about who they might hire"

Just a reminder that national media is not paying attention to Arizona, nor will they unless we do something meaningful at a national level. Andre Ware listed Sumlin and Baldwin, so at least he did his pre-show research.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Larry Fedora would be cool. Can you imagine the entire zoo wearing fedoras?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:Larry Fedora would be cool. Can you imagine the entire zoo wearing fedoras?
I liked him when we hired RR. Was one of my favorites if I remember correctly
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote:Larry Fedora would be cool. Can you imagine the entire zoo wearing fedoras?
We don't need a bunch of neckbeards
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

chiefzona wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Lol.

Exactly. Some of the complaining I think is warranted. Good recruiter. Good player development. Player’s coach. Guy can walk in SoCal on campuses and HS recruits know exactly who he is. I think his assistant hires have been fine minus a couple. Good X’s and O’s. He built the Houston football program. He has sent more people to the NFL at Houston than RR has in his career.
When people bring "angry Aggie racist guy" up, it's usually used to deflect criticism.

I'm sure that just about any African American head coach at any P5 school is going to have some racist detractors, and Texas A&M is, I'm sure, no different. But if he's going to the CFP every year, is he getting fired? No. He seems like a homerun hire, we know he can recruit AZ, and he's 1,000,000 times better than the "CEO" that ASU hired. So let's get him. But let's not lose sight of the possibility that going 8-5 here gets you praise and an extension, but fired at A&M and Florida.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I watched ECU hang 60+ on Fedora and UNC for two straight seasons. No thanks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UofAlum05 wrote:
I watched ECU hang 60+ on Fedora and UNC for two straight seasons. No thanks.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do we have someone yet?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Do we have someone yet?
Very limited chatter but that chatter seems to have turned positive in the past hour.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote:Do we have someone yet?
Charlie Weis