Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m so pumped!!!
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

TatetheGreat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:I've been a Sumlin detractor but I'm relieved to have him over Ken N et al. Hoping for immediate success with Tate and at least a couple four stars signed for 2019.
I am celebrating now but later in the week plan to outline some areas of caution with Sumlin.
There are plenty of areas of concern. But maybe he has learned some lessons and will thrive in the Pac-12. He has done well with inherited QBs (Keenum and Manziel).
Ok. Since he hasn't even been officially announced, what is your concerns? After. all the consternation now several have concerns? Should we post a fire sumlin thread righr now?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Maybe somebody can finally ask him what we all have been waiting for somebody to confirm... Was he really at Rincon Market?
Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

KillerKlown wrote:Maybe somebody can finally ask him what we all have been waiting for somebody to confirm... Was he really at Rincon Market?

If David Kelly said so it must be true. :roll:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Here is a good in-depth article on what to expect with Mazzone's spread offense.
Mazzone calls his offense the “N-Zone” and its philosophy is straight forward: Be fast, play in space, be balanced, attack and keep it simple. It often mirrors modern NBA basketball in theory: pace and space.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu- ... -texas-am/" target="_blank
Last edited by FreeSpiritCat on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

lunchpailguy wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:I've been a Sumlin detractor but I'm relieved to have him over Ken N et al. Hoping for immediate success with Tate and at least a couple four stars signed for 2019.
I am celebrating now but later in the week plan to outline some areas of caution with Sumlin.
There are plenty of areas of concern. But maybe he has learned some lessons and will thrive in the Pac-12. He has done well with inherited QBs (Keenum and Manziel).
Ok. Since he hasn't even been officially announced, what is your concerns? After. all the consternation now several have concerns? Should we post a fire sumlin thread righr now?
We've discussed the concerns ad nauseum in the coaching search thread but I'm willing to give Sumlin a shot. He has great potential here.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

lunchpailguy wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

I'm referring to them as cautions rather than concerns. In short Sumlin and his Coaches were a highly emotional coaching staff, effectively the Steelers of the SEC.

My two main "cautions:"

High roster turnover - Sumlin was exclelent at signing great talents that eventually transferred out.

Fast starts, slow finishes - as with an emotional team when things start to get shakey the problems add up quick. How many times did A&M start out 6-0 only to finish 8-5?

These at most are turnoffs for a bigger name like SC or Penn St looking for a coach, but for Arizona these cautions pale in comparison to the total package Sumlin brings when it comes to recruiting, keeping Yates, exciting the fan base, improving attendance, giving a good public face for the program, presumably keeping us in the division race, and finally building us a fully operational defense. Not to mention what we avoid by hiring Sumlin: No triple option, no old guy riding out his career, no experiment. I am thrilled.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
I'm referring to them as cautions rather than concerns. In short Sumlin and his Coaches were a highly emotional coaching staff, effectively the Steelers of the SEC.
Can't be any worse than Stoops and RR.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

Catintheheat wrote:
Why doesn't Kevin Sumlin have another job yet?

Baby: You'll have to ask an athletic director and Sumlin that. It could be as simple as the right job isn't coming open. But it could be more complex than that. All of that remains to be seen.

Sumlin seems best-suited for a lower-tier "Power Five" job. I only observed him for two years, so keep that in mind as you read this paragraph. But if Sumlin wants to be an elite coach, he needs to be more even-keeled. His persona can fluctuate depending on how well the team is doing, and I don't know if that's a good recipe for a championship-winning program, at any level. If he solves that, he could easily be the coach everyone thought he'd be after 2012.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... appearance" target="_blank
If you were kneecapped as bad as he was at A&M you wouldn't have to ask.
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
lunchpailguy wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

High roster turnover - Sumlin was exclelent at signing great talents that eventually transferred out.

Fast starts, slow finishes - as with an emotional team when things start to get shakey the problems add up quick. How many times did A&M start out 6-0 only to finish 8-5?

These at most are turnoffs for a bigger name like SC or Penn St looking for a coach, but for Arizona these cautions pale in comparison to the total package Sumlin brings when it comes to recruiting, keeping Yates, exciting the fan base, improving attendance, giving a good public face for the program, presumably keeping us in the division race, and finally building us a fully operational defense. Not to mention what we avoid by hiring Sumlin: No triple option, no old guy riding out his career, no experiment. I am thrilled.
Very fair. To address these I will have to be at something other than my phone. However, for starters, the politics at a&m are very different than at other universities. The AD is only a figurehead and subservient to the BOR who are subservient to the oil money. The roster stuff, transfers Kyle Allen, Kyker Murray stuff is basically..
You can't bring 2 dstes to the prom. Ill have more. Happy for Cat nation. You got a good one!
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

splitsecond wrote:Mazzone is the icing on the cake. That’s going piss off Tempe Normal so much.
While there are plenty of ASU fans upset at not getting Sumlin, you will be hard pressed to find any fans upset about Mazzone. Prepare yourself for swing passes. Lots and lots of swing passes.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Anybody know of any recruits that we might end up getting? Sumlin and co. are supposed to be good recruiters. Our class is pretty mediocre right now. What kind of finish would be a good indication that the recruiting has seen an uptick?

Perhaps I should post these questions in the recruit/commitment thread?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Sumlin & Yates in the living rooms of 4 & 5* defensive beasts.

Glorious.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
splitsecond wrote:Mazzone is the icing on the cake. That’s going piss off Tempe Normal so much.
While there are plenty of ASU fans upset at not getting Sumlin, you will be hard pressed to find any fans upset about Mazzone. Prepare yourself for swing passes. Lots and lots of swing passes.
The offense has never been a problem.

If Sumlin needs his guy on O, give it to him. Can't be any worse than clown-show RR/Smith/Magee. 3 fucking offensive coordinators, SMH.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Too bad Cecil isn't staying (per a post in other thread).
I think it's good to have guys like that involved in the program
Not necessarily as a coach
The best thing Sumlin could do is keep Cecil and hire Hunley. They are certainly qualified to be somewhere on the staff.
This would please old alums and accomplish .............

Sorry, I’m struggling here.
Agreed. Don't really see the point other than keeping random people over 50 happy.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I'm so freaking insanely happy with this hire. There is literally not a living room these guys won't be able to go into with a real shot to land some serious top tier players.

I would imagine the current players are beyond excited.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I kinda wish we’d go the last step and bring in an elite DC

Hopefully Yates can get it done on his side of the ball
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I think he will be able to, if he can get some big(ger) uglies on the D-line.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I think he will be able to, if he can get some big(ger) uglies on the D-line.
Maybe start with the JUCO DE that tweeted about Sumlin?

Boy, I'm excited as all get out about this hire!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

NYCat wrote:
Sumlin is both? Where can you see the rankings?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

qwertyus wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Yeah he’s a great recruiter and average game coach which, generally, sounds about right.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Too bad Cecil isn't staying (per a post in other thread).
I think it's good to have guys like that involved in the program
Not necessarily as a coach
The best thing Sumlin could do is keep Cecil and hire Hunley. They are certainly qualified to be somewhere on the staff.
This would please old alums and accomplish .............

Agreed. Don't really see the point other than keeping random people over 50 happy.
Hey I'm over 50 (barely). Cecil and Hunley are in my wheelhouse as a young fan. Hell, I saw the legendary Cecil pick 6 live and in person. Love those guys, but I've never understood those who insist they should be on staff. Warm fuzzy nostalgia is all I can figure. If those guys had excelled as coaches and risen up the ranks over the years then sure, but as far as I know they really haven't. Bring 'em around, give them access and let them Bear Down all they want.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

qwertyus wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I believe it's his own matrix.
https://www.patreon.com/cfbmatrix" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Is this strictly for the state of Arizona?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
NYCat wrote:
You'd have to ask him.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

lunchpailguy wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
lunchpailguy wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

Very fair. To address these I will have to be at something other than my phone. However, for starters, the politics at a&m are very different than at other universities. The AD is only a figurehead and subservient to the BOR who are subservient to the oil money. The roster stuff, transfers Kyle Allen, Kyker Murray stuff is basically..
You can't bring 2 dstes to the prom. Ill have more. Happy for Cat nation. You got a good one!

I agree - the differences at A&M heightened the problems Sumlin encountered and/or let happen. For one, Sumlin was always dealing with a very impatient program - the boosters, fans, SEC expectations, even the players. The surrounding impatience is what partly caused the high roster turnover. At Arizona he'll be given a lot more room to level off and round out challenges that at a place like A&M turned into a dumpster fire.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:I don’t care how he got here, Heeke hit it out of the park.

Sumlin steps into a nice situation. A really young team that’s accustomed to punching above its weight. An incredible talent at the most important position on the field. A two week window to ramp up momentum by at the very least putting Arizona on the radar of some higher profile recruits. Facilities that have improved recently, and will continue to do so. And a fanbase that will buy in if he can improve upon this past year’s results.

This could be the start of something really nice for the University of Arizona. I’m all in.
+1
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I haven't been this happy about Arizona FB since Mike Stoops was hired.... sounds like a Debbie Downer post, but it's true. I thought he'd be great.

Completely ecstatic. Now I just hope we have an AD that knows how to negotiate a coach's buyout should he leave before his contract is up.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

Chicat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:There should be no preconditions to Sumlin's staffing decisions. Other than salary constraints, he should be able to hire/fire anyone. I hope Yates wasn't foisted on him because the players pressured Heeke.
They worked together in the past, so it’s an easy decision.

If the defense continues to lag it’s easy to let him go with the excuse that he was a “RichRod guy”.

Hopefully our defensive problems were of the same type we had at QB, RR related over-involvement.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

FlyonWall wrote:
Chicat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:There should be no preconditions to Sumlin's staffing decisions. Other than salary constraints, he should be able to hire/fire anyone. I hope Yates wasn't foisted on him because the players pressured Heeke.

If the defense continues to lag it’s easy to let him go with the excuse that he was a “RichRod guy”.

Hopefully our defensive problems were of the same type we had at QB, RR related over-involvement.
Largely it's "We didn't recruit defensive players for four(ish) years."
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

My unsolicited thoughts on Mazzone:
He starts off pretty fast and gets results. His offense puts up stats. His system is effective, considering his success against you guys while he was at UCLA. He attacks the field horizontally. Except a lot of zone reads and bubble screens. UCLA had his son as the QB coach and he wasn't really very good in the role, but I think to get Mazzone, we had to agree to hire his son as the coach. At TAMU, his son wasn't a position coach. Noel is an awful evaluator of talent at QB, he tends to look for his guy and I think he wants to find a sleeper to show his acumen, but he basically left us with Jerry Neuheisel and MIke Fafaul (essentially 2 walkons) after 4 years at UCLA. He also is a stubborn play caller. That all being said, he's a great fit for calling plays with Tate at QB.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

jimson

Post by jimson »

NYCat wrote:What's people's obsession with getting Arizona alum on staff? I'm sorry but most of them aren't good enough, definitely not as coaches or recruiters.
Chicat wrote: This would please old alums and accomplish .............
They are experienced coaches and Wildcat legends who would run through a wall for this program.

Why wouldn't you want them on staff?

What's with people's obsession with shunning qualified alumni?

Way to go on improving on being a program with "no history and no traditions."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

SCCats wrote:
FlyonWall wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Largely it's "We didn't recruit defensive players for four(ish) years."
Exactly this. It was us recruiting undersized 2 and low 3 star guys who only had offers from FCS and mountain west teams since 2013.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

MrBug708 wrote:My unsolicited thoughts on Mazzone:
He starts off pretty fast and gets results. His offense puts up stats. His system is effective, considering his success against you guys while he was at UCLA. He attacks the field horizontally. Except a lot of zone reads and bubble screens. UCLA had his son as the QB coach and he wasn't really very good in the role, but I think to get Mazzone, we had to agree to hire his son as the coach. At TAMU, his son wasn't a position coach. Noel is an awful evaluator of talent at QB, he tends to look for his guy and I think he wants to find a sleeper to show his acumen, but he basically left us with Jerry Neuheisel and MIke Fafaul (essentially 2 walkons) after 4 years at UCLA. He also is a stubborn play caller. That all being said, he's a great fit for calling plays with Tate at QB.
How much of what Mazzone did at UCLA was influenced by Neuheisel (Rick)?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:
NYCat wrote:What's people's obsession with getting Arizona alum on staff? I'm sorry but most of them aren't good enough, definitely not as coaches or recruiters.
They are experienced coaches and Wildcat legends who would run through a wall for this program.

Literally the only people that care about hiring those people are 50+ extreme fans. Which doesn't matter at all in making us a winning program. What we need is actual Big Time coaches that know what they're doing recruiting and at the college level not feel good stories about alumni

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The university officially announced his hiring Sunday night after multiple reports earlier in the day that he had agreed to a deal.

“I am humbled and honored to join the Arizona Family,” Sumlin said in a statement.

“With a strong foundation already in place, we will work quickly to assemble an elite coaching staff and immediately begin the work of establishing our culture, recruiting future Wildcats, and connecting with Wildcats past and present. We will win championships. We will graduate our players and they will contribute to the University in many ways while they are here. We will represent Arizona with class and pride. I want to thank President Robbins and Dave Heeke for the opportunity to be a part of something special and I cannot wait to get started.”
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

MrMeow wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:My unsolicited thoughts on Mazzone:
How much of what Mazzone did at UCLA was influenced by Neuheisel (Rick)?
There was some talent left There for Mazzone and Mora but in the end, both ASU and UCLA fans were ready for Noel to move on. ASU did fine, we hired Kennedy Pola, who was a huge downgrade.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The biggest difference between this hire and the past two is recruiting. The biggest issue by far hurting Arizona right now is lack of talent. The overall talent level will increase dramatically at Arizona. If that means more wins/losses time will tell but at the very least we will be much better equipped for a while than we have been in the past.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UofAlum05 wrote:The biggest difference between this hire and the past two is recruiting. The biggest issue by far hurting Arizona right now is lack of talent. The overall talent level will increase dramatically at Arizona. If that means more wins/losses time will tell but at the very least we will be much better equipped for a while than we have been in the past.
Agree. We have to see how it actually translates, but our #1 problem for the last decade has been that our talent level consistently barely qualifies as being power 5 conference level. Our recruiting is usually more on par with conference USA and Mountain West schools..and that more than anything is what has kept us from succeeding.

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Glad we finally have a football coach again and that it looks like someone who can actually recruit and will bring us back to a respectable level of talent on the depth chart.

But really the only reason i'm posting right now is to comment on that mocked-up picture above me. I get we want to be excited and and all, but those fake coach pictures bug the hell out of me. Just mock up a picture of him in a suit or something in front of a UofA background. But don't photo shop that fake shit as if he's already been on the sidelines for us :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:
jimson wrote:

Literally the only people that care about hiring those people are 50+ extreme fans. Which doesn't matter at all in making us a winning program. What we need is actual Big Time coaches that know what they're doing recruiting and at the college level not feel good stories about alumni
Yeah, the one's with the most disposable income. If you think we can fill that stadium with millennials, then we might as well replace the JB Salmon statue with a smart phone charging station and change "Bear Down" to something with a hashtag.

Get ready for disappointing attendance again.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
jimson wrote:

Yeah, the one's with the most disposable income. If you think we can fill that stadium with millennials, then we might as well replace the JB Salmon statue with a smart phone charging station and change "Bear Down" to something with a hashtag.

Get ready for disappointing attendance again.
Well us millennials would have a lot more disposable income if it wasn't for the 50+ crowd...but that's another story.

And lol at thinking attendance won't improve under Sumlin. You thinking that if we just filled out our staff with all alumni would raise attendance is probably the most idiotic take this board has seen in a while.