Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by prh »

Saw a Utah fan say RR is a better recruiter than Sumlin. Damn that fan base is so idiotic, it's hard for me to deal with them around here.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote: Well us millennials would have a lot more disposable income if it wasn't for the 50+ crowd...but that's another story.
Ah yes, deflecting responsibility for your own situation. How millennial
ASUHATER! wrote:And lol at thinking attendance won't improve under Sumlin. You thinking that if we just filled out our staff with all alumni would raise attendance is probably the most idiotic take this board has seen in a while.
Not too bright are ya? If Sumlin appeals to young people, you got that covered. Add some legendary Wildcats who are already in the coaching profession and you appeal to additional people.

Sorry I don't think Sumlin is going to make more than a minor difference in attendance until and unless he wins big
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: Well us millennials would have a lot more disposable income if it wasn't for the 50+ crowd...but that's another story.
ASUHATER! wrote:And lol at thinking attendance won't improve under Sumlin. You thinking that if we just filled out our staff with all alumni would raise attendance is probably the most idiotic take this board has seen in a while.
Not too bright are ya? If Sumlin appeals to young people, you got that covered. Add some legendary Wildcats who are already in the coaching profession and you appeal to additional people.

Sorry I don't think Sumlin is going to make more than a minor difference in attendance until and unless he wins big
You should probably read up on how things actually are before making dumb comments on millennials. Assuming superiority without checking facts or research...how baby boomer of you.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Ecstatic about this hire....the best option we had before far IMO. He’s going to be a game changer for our program. Bear Down Coach Sumlin!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Can we please keep the political bs out of here .
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

PHXCATS wrote:Can we please keep the political bs out of here .
Good luck with that...I tried for so long and have given up. Sad to see how that crap divides us as a fan base here where we should look for unity instead. Bear Down PHXCATS.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Can we please keep the political bs out of here .
Good luck with that...I tried for so long and have given up. Sad to see how that crap divides us as a fan base here where we should look for unity instead. Bear Down PHXCATS.
In down with it if the baby boomers would stop whining all the time.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

This coaching search was funny in that at first I really thought it would be Sumlin, and was somewhat ambivalent about it, due to some defensive problems the last few years, but knew he could recruit out of his ass at a high level, kids seem to love him. Then, when it appeared we had offered Coach N and his triple option, I was pretty down not that I didn't think he possibly could work, but he'd have to start up a whole new offensive system. But, as a die hard Wildcats fan, I was talking myself into it and coming around to it this morning like some sort of resignation...told some family well he might be ok...kind of like how ASU fans were with Graham coaching the bowl game when they were now stuck with Herm Edwards.

But then when Sumlin was hired, it was like a big relief. He at least has a shot to get some big time recruits in here finally, which is 95% of college football at the P-5 level. Then when the top Juco D-lineman tweets he's all for the Sumlin hire, and we're in competition for a player that has been offered by Alabama...that's like out of this world stuff for AZ football. Case Keenum then wins in a miracle game, whose coach was Sumlin at Houston when Keenum went on to set an NCAA division I passing record, playing Nick Foles in the NFC championship game. Then Keyshawn Johnson's son says he wants to play for us, looks like it might be the case that players all over the West Coast popping out of the woodwork now to possibly come play for AZ football. Just crazy turn of events. What a day.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
The university officially announced his hiring Sunday night after multiple reports earlier in the day that he had agreed to a deal.

“I am humbled and honored to join the Arizona Family,” Sumlin said in a statement.

“With a strong foundation already in place, we will work quickly to assemble an elite coaching staff and immediately begin the work of establishing our culture, recruiting future Wildcats, and connecting with Wildcats past and present. We will win championships. We will graduate our players and they will contribute to the University in many ways while they are here. We will represent Arizona with class and pride. I want to thank President Robbins and Dave Heeke for the opportunity to be a part of something special and I cannot wait to get started.”
Great statement.

I am a little disappointed he did not state out of the gate that he wants to retire here. Makes me wonder how committed he is to Arizona...
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Now that we have Coach Sumlin the Pac-12 south is going to be crazy good soon at the top. I see Arizona, UCLA, and USC fighting it out every year in the near future.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:

I disagree. Stoops got very good support considering the dumpster fire he inherited when he was hired because people were excited.

People are pumped with the Sumlin hire and we have a legit Heisman candidate returning. Khalil just won the lottery.

The university community never embraced RR and he did little to change that... he was damaged goods when he came here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
jimson wrote:

I disagree. Stoops got very good support considering the dumpster fire he inherited when he was hired because people were excited.

People are pumped with the Sumlin hire and we have a legit Heisman candidate returning. Khalil just won the lottery.

The university community never embraced RR and he did little to change that... he was damaged goods when he came here.
Yup. Stoops had the best attendance Arizona has had in ages, better than Tomeys best years.

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I can't remember ever being this excited about Arizona football. This is the best chance the Cats have to move to a higher level. Lightning struck when the Cats hired Lute. Could it have just happened again?
Bangkok Wildcat

Anyone know why ASU didn’t make a run at Sumlin? Or did they just fall flat....Can’t believe anyone would hire Herm Edwards unless they had no other choices.

So incredibly stoked we got Sumlin. Haven’t been this excited about our Football Coach in a long time!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anyone know why ASU didn’t make a run at Sumlin? Or did they just fall flat....Can’t believe anyone would hire Herm Edwards unless they had no other choices.

So incredibly stoked we got Sumlin. Haven’t been this excited about our Football Coach in a long time!
They did, even to the point Sumlin was getting assistants ready, then ask wanted Herm
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Boosters stepped up, AD stepped up, I think the team will step up, let's see if the fans do. Your guess is as good as mine. I'll be there.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anyone know why ASU didn’t make a run at Sumlin? Or did they just fall flat....Can’t believe anyone would hire Herm Edwards unless they had no other choices.

I truly think Herm was Ray's one and only choice and that Sumlin would be coaching at ASU currently if that were not the case.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

They contacted him but he never interviewed.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Kevin Sumlin's first QB during his first year as a HC: Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, Khalil Tate.
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks PHXCATS, Chief and btfd! This has got to be killing the Scummies....With a ‘supposedly’ stronger football program, they couldn’t get Sumlin and had to settle for Herm. No matter what they say, this has to be a big blow to their fans.

Sumlin hasn’t even arrived and he’s already notched a win over the hated Scumdevils. The future looks bright! Bear Down.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:
jimson wrote:

You should probably read up on how things actually are before making dumb comments on millennials. Assuming superiority without checking facts or research...how baby boomer of you.
Keep your thinly veiled political bullshit to yourself. There's a reason I don't go to that board. Boomers generally have more disposable income because they have been working longer and are more established, and that's all I was referring to.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I hope you're right. I thought people were pretty pumped for RR at first too. Sumlin is a fired head coach too. I guess some see him as a more attractive re-tread.
Bangkok Wildcat

jimson wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I hope you're right. I thought people were pretty pumped for RR at first too. Sumlin is a fired head coach too. I guess some see him as a more attractive re-tread.
My Big Bro is an Aggie so I’ve followed Sumlin fairly close since his hire. If they were still in the Big 12, I’m confident Sumlin would have the Aggies dominating the conference by now....but their move to the semi-NFL aka SEC and the huge money they put into their stadium renovations brought HUGE expectations.

I’m pretty sure the crazy drama by some Primadonna (but very talented) QBs led to his downfall. Jumping from Houston to Big12 Aggies to SEC Aggies was a major challenge and with the QB drama, it was too much for him.....as it would have been for most other coaches IMHO.

Taking a step back from the SEC to Arizona and the P12 is a win/win for us both. He’s going to do very well here....no doubt in my mind.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

My Big Bro is an Aggie so I’ve followed Sumlin fairly close since his hire. If they were still in the Big 12, I’m confident Sumlin would have the Aggies dominating the conference by now....but their move to the semi-NFL aka SEC and the huge money they put into their stadium renovations brought HUGE expectations.

I’m pretty sure the crazy drama by some Primadonna (but very talented) QBs led to his downfall. Jumping from Houston to Big12 Aggies to SEC Aggies was a major challenge and with the QB drama, it was too much for him.....as it would have been for most other coaches IMHO.

Taking a step back from the SEC to Arizona and the P12 is a win/win for us both. He’s going to do very well here....no doubt in my mind.
This is actually the consensus of A&M fans that I've seen. That if they were still in the big 12 instead of the sec west that Sumlin would still be there and winning 9-10+ games a year.

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Fuck the cuss filter. Get my motherfuckin ass on the swaggiest copter there is. Fuck the ground, we fly high.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Some of the diehards on these boards were supportive... and after reading 3 & Out many were sycophantic in their adoration of the fucking dumpster fire that went 6-18 in B1G play in Ann Arbor. But John Q Public thought what I did: If he was the least successful coach in modern UM history - how is he going to win at UA?

I hated the hire from the start and was very vocal... and (ironic but true) ASUHater was a big believer and slammed me because he did not want to hear my whining about the RR hire. (I had a different handle then).

Stop with the bullshit that Sumlin's tenure at aTm in ANY way resembled DickRods complete implosion at Michigan. It's pure fiction...
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
jimson wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Some of the diehards on these boards were supportive... and after reading 3 & Out many were sycophantic in their adoration of the fucking dumpster fire that went 6-18 in B1G play in Ann Arbor. But John Q Public thought what I did: If he was the least successful coach in modern UM history - how is he going to win at UA?

I hated the hire from the start and was very vocal... and (ironic but true) ASUHater was a big believer and slammed me because he did not want to hear my whining about the RR hire. (I had a different handle then).

Stop with the bullshit that Sumlin's tenure at aTm in ANY way resembled DickRods complete implosion at Michigan. It's pure fiction...
Like I said, he is a more attractive re-tread, but the fired CFB head coach resurrection history isn't encouraging.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

TucsonClip wrote:Fuck the cuss filter. Get my motherfuckin ass on the swaggiest copter there is. Fuck the ground, we fly high.
Fun fact: there is no cuss filter on this forum.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

jimson

Post by jimson »

I do like this part.

"With a strong foundation already in place, we will work quickly to assemble an elite coaching staff and immediately begin the work of establishing our culture, recruiting future Wildcats, and connecting with Wildcats past and present," he said.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Thanks PHXCATS, Chief and btfd! This has got to be killing the Scummies....With a ‘supposedly’ stronger football program, they couldn’t get Sumlin and had to settle for Herm. No matter what they say, this has to be a big blow to their fans.

Sumlin hasn’t even arrived and he’s already notched a win over the hated Scumdevils. The future looks bright! Bear Down.
It wasn’t a matter of not being able to get Sumlin. Ray anderson knew who he was hiring before he fired Graham. Sumlin expressed interest in the ASU job and thought he would get it to the point he started lightly assembling a staff (Demetrius Martin being one of them). Honestly most ASU fans didn’t want Sumlin until we ended up with Herm. Make no mistake about it though had ASU’s AD wanted Sumlin he would be the coach in Tempe right now. Sumlin s name came up in several coaching searches but I’m not sure how serious any of them were until this one. Fortunately for you all, our AD is a crony loving tool.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

I am really excited that coach Sumlin is your new HC. I have posted on the other thread, but if anyone has any questions about him fire away. Y'all got one one he'll of a coach and he is going to take you on a great run. Just the combination of Tate and Sumlin I think y'all are realistically looking at 9-3/10-2 season. Great hire, good luck, and BTHOasu!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Thanks PHXCATS, Chief and btfd! This has got to be killing the Scummies....With a ‘supposedly’ stronger football program, they couldn’t get Sumlin and had to settle for Herm. No matter what they say, this has to be a big blow to their fans.

It wasn’t a matter of not being able to get Sumlin. Ray anderson knew who he was hiring before he fired Graham. Sumlin expressed interest in the ASU job and thought he would get it to the point he started lightly assembling a staff (Demetrius Martin being one of them). Honestly most ASU fans didn’t want Sumlin until we ended up with Herm. Make no mistake about it though had ASU’s AD wanted Sumlin he would be the coach in Tempe right now. Sumlin s name came up in several coaching searches but I’m not sure how serious any of them were until this one. Fortunately for you all, our AD is a crony loving tool.
This post is a treasure. Belongs in the Louvre next to the Mona Lisa. A real work of art.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

To say I'm pumped about Sumlin is an understatement. I haven't bought season tickets in about 5 years. I placed my 2018 deposit last night. BEAR DOWN!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scummy Dick Douglas

Chicat wrote:

This post is a treasure. Belongs in the Louvre next to the Mona Lisa. A real work of art.
Ray Anderson was always going to hire Herm Edwards. ASU fans thought they could do better than Sumlin, until we ended up with Herm edwards. The fact we didn't hire him and you ended up with him just pisses ASU folks off even more.

The way I see it this goes one of two ways: 1. Sumlin schools ASU and we chase Ray Anderson and Herm out of town in a couple years because he should have hired Sumlin or 2. Sumlin is a retread that doesn't pan out, and we still chase Ray Anderson out of town because he hired Herm Edwards which was always a dumb move.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

No need for me to repeat Chief or the others who are answering that Ray already had his buddy in mind before canning Graham.

That's why, but, naturally the next question is: how are ASU fans reacting? My ASU buddy told me "ASU avoided Sumlin like the plague because of his drug and alcohol abuse."

WTF?!?!

And, "because Sumlin is known for his bad moods after losses."

Well who isn't in a bad mood after a loss?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ah the old we didn't want him anyway but if we did he would've come here trope.

ASU didn't get him because they couldn't.

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
No need for me to repeat Chief or the others who are answering that Ray already had his buddy in mind before canning Graham.

That's why, but, naturally the next question is: how are ASU fans reacting? My ASU buddy told me "ASU avoided Sumlin like the plague because of his drug and alcohol abuse."

WTF?!?!

And, "because Sumlin is known for his bad moods after losses."

Well who isn't in a bad mood after a loss?
.....And they don't think Herm will be an a bad mood after a Loss? I don't think I have ever heard Herm talk in a normal voice regardless of mood - he's always screaming He will be jumping up and down more than anyone and ESPN will capture their buddy in it all.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

sirhamsalot wrote:To say I'm pumped about Sumlin is an understatement. I haven't bought season tickets in about 5 years. I placed my 2018 deposit last night. BEAR DOWN!
^^This is a beautiful thing!

My goodness it was so much nicer waking up today than the past couple mornings. Welcome Coach.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent on the other thread even though I have a low post count and no avatar. I’ll fix all that in time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, there are aspects of Sumlin I'm not 100% on, but I'm certainly hoping he proves any doubts I have wrong. He is certainly a legit hire and I hope he stabilizes things after the messy end of RR's tenure.
Scummy Dick Douglas

ASUHATER! wrote:

More like "We didn't want him because we thought we could do better, but our AD hired his buddy who hasnt coached college ball in 30 years, so now we deeply regret not pursuing Sumlin, who had expressed interest in several jobs, one of which being ASU."

My stance on the ASU coach situation has been pretty straightforward. I was not in support of firing Graham. I was not happy with the prospect of Sumlin, mainly because retread coaches rarely if ever work out. Then when it was revealed that Ray Anderson was zeroed in on Herm Edwards all along, who is arguably the retread of all retreads, I was all in on the idea of Sumlin. At least we know Sumlin can recruit.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ASUHATER! wrote:

More like "We didn't want him because we thought we could do better, but our AD hired his buddy who hasnt coached college ball in 30 years, so now we deeply regret not pursuing Sumlin, who had expressed interest in several jobs, one of which being ASU."

My stance on the ASU coach situation has been pretty straightforward. I was not in support of firing Graham. I was not happy with the prospect of Sumlin, mainly because retread coaches rarely if ever work out. Then when it was revealed that Ray Anderson was zeroed in on Herm Edwards all along, who is arguably the retread of all retreads, I was all in on the idea of Sumlin. At least we know Sumlin can recruit.
Actual question. You said you thought you could do better than Sumlin, who were some of the names being throw around that you thought you had a real shot at that were better than Sumlin?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Actual question. You said you thought you could do better than Sumlin, who were some of the names being throw around that you thought you had a real shot at that were better than Sumlin?
I want to know this too. I did not speak to a ton of asu guys during that time frame from when Graham was fired to when it was announced that Herm was coming over but the few I did mentioned they wanted Sumlin. Radio here was also saying Sumlin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

I have to assume that they floated bringing Norvell back at HC at some point. It makes sense.
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

The fact that the asu AD insisted the coordinators and others on the staff stay in place eliminated a significant portion of candidates including Sumlin. Sumlin would have taken that job, but not without say into who would be his coaches. The whole plan blew up anyway after both guys bailed upon the. Edwards hire. The asu AD will be the next guy looking for a job.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

lunchpailguy wrote:The fact that the asu AD insisted the coordinators and others on the staff stay in place eliminated a significant portion of candidates including Sumlin. Sumlin would have taken that job, but not without say into who would be his coaches. The whole plan blew up anyway after both guys bailed upon the. Edwards hire. The asu AD will be the next guy looking for a job.
That was the word around town in the mean time, but I always just thought that was promotion for the guys to try to stay with the new coach, but if the new coach really wanted his own guys the new coach would have won out.
Scummy Dick Douglas

btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

The names floated about that I wanted: Jim Leavitt or Jimmy Lake. That said, those are names that fans or pundits were floating. The reality is that Ray Anderson was always going to hire someone with NFL ties. The people he kicked the tires on with NFL ties that I was ok with were Pep Hamilton and to a lesser extent Teryl Austin. Really i was ok with them just because at that point it was clear we were headed for Herm Edwards. If we got a do over and I was in charge of the hire, my choices would have been in the order of: 1. Jim Leavitt 2. Jimmy Lake 3. Kevin Sumlin.

To the next few points, I really believe Ray Anderson hoped to make Billy Napier the coach in a few years. Let things be aligned under Herm for a 2-3 years, then make Napier the HC. As pointed out above, the whole forcing coordinators on a coach never works out.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Actual question. You said you thought you could do better than Sumlin, who were some of the names being throw around that you thought you had a real shot at that were better than Sumlin?[/quote]

I have to assume that they floated bringing Norvell back at HC at some point. It makes sense.[/quote]

Some fans threw that idea out, but Norvell never was a consideration, (nor will he ever be with Michael Crow as President). He burned the bridges down on his way out of town a few years ago.