Assistant Coaches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

lunchpailguy

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by lunchpailguy »

Obviously all coaches are important to overall success but IMO the strength coach will be one of the most important as well. I would look at solid recruiting connections as alao being a factor heavily weighted in selecting coaches.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
jimson wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

https://247sports.com/Coach/Antonio-Pierce-4025" target="_blank

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Pierce is forever tainted with Sunblister slime.
A home run hire for the schools you mentioned, in the eyes of their fans, would have been Bear Bryant, John McKay, Woody Hayes, or (possibly) Nick Saban.

I think UCLA had a solid hire in Kelly, but he is a major asshole. As for the others, I think their foolishness is our gain. Time will tell.

And since I recall you as being a RichRod lover... how do you think those fan bases would have reacted to an RR hire (either before or after his stibt innTucson)? U xan hazard a guess.
No, I'm just a guy who didn't share your silly hatred. I wasn't upset to see him go, and I think there would be real value to bringing Cecil and Hunley on staff.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm not sold on Noel Mazzone & Yates being retained at all. Mazzone's play calling was meh. Yates I think will be gone in a couple of years with the excuse of being a leftover Rodriguez guy - failed his tryout.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:Didn't Charlie Camp just sign with UTSA last month?
http://goutsa.com/news/2017/12/28/footb ... aches.aspx

Yes he did.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat wrote:I'm not sold on Noel Mazzone & Yates being retained at all. Mazzone's play calling was meh. Yates I think will be gone in a couple of years with the excuse of being a leftover Rodriguez guy - failed his tryout.
That's the knock on Mazzone, great system, poor play caller. He goes into a shell with a lead
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

jimson wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

https://247sports.com/Coach/Antonio-Pierce-4025" target="_blank

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Pierce is forever tainted with Sunblister slime.
I firmly believe that Sumlin was going to be the guy if not for Kelly
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MrBug708 wrote:
NYCat wrote:I'm not sold on Noel Mazzone & Yates being retained at all. Mazzone's play calling was meh. Yates I think will be gone in a couple of years with the excuse of being a leftover Rodriguez guy - failed his tryout.
That's the knock on Mazzone, great system, poor play caller. He goes into a shell with a lead
Is he the final play caller? I know with RR, Smith and Magee (over the headset it’s pretty obvious Magee was the #2 guy and co-OC was nothing more than a title) would suggest about 3 plays as the previous play is occurring and Rich would pick one of those 3 or just completely override and pick his own. I always thought Magee was the best play caller of the 3.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The coach can certainly override him, but Mazzone is a guy who calls plays for his system. His play calling is mind numbing at times, like throwing on 3 downs when you need to run out the clock
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:Didn't Charlie Camp just sign with UTSA last month?
http://goutsa.com/news/2017/12/28/footb ... aches.aspx

Yes he did.
He's sticking with UTSA due to being so close with the head man there.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Young guy. Good friends with BJ so he is a fun time.
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

Funny, it seems complaining and negativity are just in some peoples DNA. Can we at least play a game first? LOL!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Demetrice Martin from UCLA looking like strong candidate to be added. Looks like a Stud recruiter, not sure of his coaching ability but been at UCLA last 6 and USC, and Wash., before that.

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/stat ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank

https://ucla.rivals.com/news/recruits-w ... ucla-staff" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He has some good connections to Pasadena area kids. Not really a great coach. Between ucla and UW, it took until the 2017 draft for one of his kids to get drafted, a converted running back. But he also coached under Sark and Mora, coaches who tend to let players play a little out of control. I think Sumlin had the pimpp cane or turnover belt and Martin will probably have something similar. Bruin fans were torn on his value. His DBs play the man, not the ball, so they tend to not lool back while defending passing plays
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Thanks for the feedback. The article seemed to suggest some strong allegiance with recruits/players.
One of the most frustrating things watching db's for me is when they won't turn, when clearly ball is in air, so not liking that. Hopefully, Yates will modify that if he comes aboard.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He was with the Indianapolis Colts most recently
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Nothing we didn't already know, but officially official.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

The Sooners really don't want to let him go, so I love it. He has been there since 99 and an alum. I'm wondering if he is ready for a change after realizing there is really no where to go since Lincoln was given the job over him.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Gigantic hire would be an understatement. I love this. Look at the all-time commits. This would be a joke in the best sense.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Cale-Gundy-171" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

OU fans on the Twitter are saying he would only leave if he's calling plays. I don't really like Mazzone so this would be BIG.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote:Gigantic hire would be an understatement. I love this. Look at the all-time commits. This would be a joke in the best sense.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Cale-Gundy-171" target="_blank

Looks like he has a connection with Bishop Gorman.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

NYCat wrote:OU fans on the Twitter are saying he would only leave if he's calling plays. I don't really like Mazzone so this would be BIG.
I don't mind Mazzone, but I like this better. A lot better.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Looks like Oklahoma just got Shane Beamer from Georgia,
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat wrote:OU fans on the Twitter are saying he would only leave if he's calling plays. I don't really like Mazzone so this would be BIG.
Can't see Mazzone giving up play calling duties
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Mazzone has not been officially announced and I have a hard time seeing both on staff. Would have to think this is an either or situation.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

NYCat wrote:Looks like Oklahoma just got Shane Beamer from Georgia,
This to me seems like the final straw for Gundy and making him ready to bail. Plus he wouldn't have to compete with his brother anymore.

Holy shit this is big.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

btfd16 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Mazzone has not been officially announced and I have a hard time seeing both on staff. Would have to think this is an either or situation.
Its a no fucking brainer to take Gundy over Mazzone. It's not even close - and I still like Mazzone so that isn't a cut on him.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

splitsecond wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Its a no fucking brainer to take Gundy over Mazzone. It's not even close - and I still like Mazzone so that isn't a cut on him.
Holy shit and a hell yes. That's pretty damn exciting if it's true.

Man it's great to see interest in folks like this. I bet Tate and his absolutely ridiculous October highlight film is an influence here.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Not really sure what the benefit of doing it this way would be but look forward to seeing who we officially hire.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DrWildcat wrote: Not really sure what the benefit of doing it this way would be but look forward to seeing who we officially hire.
Maybe if they keep it quiet as far as what positions have been filled, other programs won’t know if they’ve got a guy on our radar and can’t preemptively sweeten the pot?

That’s just a wild guess.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

NYCat wrote:
Ahhh. Good clarification tweet. When I saw that I thought it was current and felt like a knife had gone through my heart. There's still hope.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Chicat wrote:
DrWildcat wrote: Not really sure what the benefit of doing it this way would be but look forward to seeing who we officially hire.
Maybe if they keep it quiet as far as what positions have been filled, other programs won’t know if they’ve got a guy on our radar and can’t preemptively sweeten the pot?

That’s just a wild guess.
I mean god forbid they operate like every functional business does when poaching talent from other companies.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Announcements to follow.....
prh

Post by prh »

chiefzona wrote:Announcements to follow.....
Good ones or bad ones?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Administrator of some sort looking at his resume.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Merkin wrote:Administrator of some sort looking at his resume.
Any relationship to Bill Polian the NFL GM thst dissed Lamar Jackson the other day saying he'll be a WR in the league? Probably has good connections.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Footballjunkie wrote:
Merkin wrote:Administrator of some sort looking at his resume.
Any relationship to Bill Polian the NFL GM thst dissed Lamar Jackson the other day saying he'll be a WR in the league? Probably has good connections.

His son.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Just saw your tweet on Singletary Chief. Thank. God.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:Just saw your tweet on Singletary Chief. Thank. God.

It's my feeling. I've heard nothing on it. They might even wait until after the class. I hope he's gone.
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
Bummer. Cecil and Hunley would have gotten me "all in"

Probably no season tix for me this year.
Last edited by jimson on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

weird old farts and their obsession with having an alum on staff. makes no sense.
jimson

Post by jimson »

scumdevils86 wrote:weird old farts and their obsession with having an alum on staff. makes no sense.
Next time I care what you think will be the first time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cecil and Hunley would have won the meets and greets with the older alum and long time fans. It's all about bringing the fans back.

Is there really that much difference between long time position coaches as long as they are willing to recruit? Not like they were going to be DCs.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

get the best person for the job. i don't care if they are an alum. doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever. need to get younger people in their 20s and 30s and 40s interested in coming to the games. the ones with younger kids. the old people will show up no matter what and the students will show up if we are winning and their cell phones work in the stadium. people my age need to see the best results possible to buy tickets. we don't buy tickets based on ooohing and ahhhing at someone who played here 20-30-40 years ago.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
Bummer. Cecil and Hunley would have gotten me "all in"

Probably no season tix for me this year.
Sumlin is asking for your help. Why do you want an alumni so bad? It is clear they are not the best person for the job so why would you want them on the staff so bad that your purchase decision depends on it?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion