2014 season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 2014 season

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well Greg Hansen just went all DMJ and said we will struggle to go 6-6 and th s t we will only be favored in the CU game.

Is Hansen DMJ? I think we willbe favorites over UDub and CU at home with USC and ASSU being very narrow lines.

Just dont see the pessimism or where it is coming from
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

If we go 2-6 to finish the season, that would be pretty horrible. I also find it hard to believe it will happen.
He said we'll struggle to go that? What, does he think we're more likely to go 1-7 or 0-8 to finish the year?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:If we go 2-6 to finish the season, that would be pretty horrible. I also find it hard to believe it will happen.
He said we'll struggle to go that? What, does he think we're more likely to go 1-7 or 0-8 to finish the year?
I was thinking about that this morning, prior to hearing what Hansen said. To go 6-6 would take a collapse of epic proportions in relation to how this team has battled so far this year. To think we'll only win 2 more games is almost unfathomable. I think this team has four more wins in it. Wazzu, Colorado, Washington, and ASSU. Could even sneak up and beat USC and Utah to make this season truly memorable.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
jollything

Post by jollything »

Glass half full: We hung tough in the face of adversity and found a way to win. We can (not will) win every game we play in.

Glass half empty: We should have beat everyone in the first 4 games easily, and not doing so is a sign of the struggle to come. We will be lucky to get 6 wins.

The reality is somewhere in between.

I think Nev, and UTSA were better than we gave them credit for, Cal was riding high on confidence after a 2-0 start and a bye week. Our defense has holes for sure, and has been downright bad at times. But look at the rest of the conference. No one is setting the world on fire in the PAC, and every single team has issues.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The Pac may be as tough or tougher than ever, but there's no way this team loses six more games. They're going to improve as the year goes along. 6-6 implies that Solomon gets worse instead of better this year, and considering the kid's past and what he's made of... no way.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea I was just taken back by the, if we didn't beat Cal we could go 5-7. Then it was, I don't see AZ favored in any games other then CU.

Just don't see that as being the case
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The troll is strong in Hansen this morning. Barring a season-ending injury to Solomon, this team has nine wins in it, easily, and will be in every game regardless of what adjustments Casteel makes to his defense--which, as we saw last year, can pull off the unexpected.

And I expect Arizona to beat both USC and Utah, along with Colorado and both of the Washington schools. UCLA, Oregon and ASSU are, at worst, coin flips, and I have no problem with that.

I also expect Hansen to predict a 7-5 New Mexico Bowl appearance next year, and the team to resultingly make a Rose or BCS Bowl. Just his way.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The bottom half of the league is especially very even, not much separating 7-12. The team could lose 6 games, but also only lose 3, who knows - its still too early.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty

Post by Salty »

I think we will very likely beat UW, WSU, and CU.

I think we will be about 50/50 vs Utah, asu, and USC. I could very well see us winning 2/3 of those games.

I think that is it extremely reasonable that we will at least 4 of those games. We have a shot to beat each one of those teams. One will upset us and another will probably flat out beat us. I think Utah has a pretty good shot at beating us and WSU may get us on the road as well.

UCLA looked very beatable last night. I was not impressed. Our offense will not have as much difficulty scoring. One concern is defense, of course. If Arizona can make tackles, we can win that game. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long night. I'm putting my personal odds at 60/40. Hopefully a hungry and motivated Arizona team shows us.

Oregon... I'm not liking our chances. Freshman QB on the road vs the second best team in the country looking for payback. It's gonna get ugly. If we can keep it within 20 points, I'll be happy.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gemmel at ESPN Blog with a breakdown of the Cardiac Cats.
As the Wildcats prep for a huge showdown with No. 2 Oregon Thursday night, it’s worth taking a look at the fourth quarter of Arizona’s past three games to see just how tight things got.
Here is the chart tracking our probability to win in the 4th quarter against Cal.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Bull Shit list of the top receivers in the country!

http://247sports.com/Article/College-fo ... s-31662866
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:If we go 2-6 to finish the season, that would be pretty horrible. I also find it hard to believe it will happen.
I was thinking about that this morning, prior to hearing what Hansen said. To go 6-6 would take a collapse of epic proportions in relation to how this team has battled so far this year. To think we'll only win 2 more games is almost unfathomable. I think this team has four more wins in it. Wazzu, Colorado, Washington, and ASSU. Could even sneak up and beat USC and Utah to make this season truly memorable.

Someone might want to let hansen know we're sitting at 5 wins now.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Someone might want to let hansen know we're sitting at 5 wins now.
And dmjcat
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fuck yes. We believe
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

tom t with the lumber!1!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Salty wrote:
Oregon... I'm not liking our chances. Freshman QB on the road vs the second best team in the country looking for payback. It's gonna get ugly. If we can keep it within 20 points, I'll be happy.
Like most things, Salty was dead wrong here. So too is Wilner.

He's like the anti-nostradamus.

If we win-out, why wouldn't we get a shot at a playoff. Pre-game PAC-12 is a strong conference, Post-game its a down year? Horseshit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:If we win-out, why wouldn't we get a shot at a playoff. Pre-game PAC-12 is a strong conference, Post-game its a down year? Horseshit.
The prevailing opinion is that there is 0 chance we win out . . . just like the prevailing opinion was that there was no way we would come out of Autzen with anything more than a moral victory.

Beat USC next week at home and people will start to believe . . . maybe.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Tucson and CATS fans all over the state and in SoCal, better vote with their feet and pack that stadium next week.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

And of course now the talking heads are saying Oregon isn't that good and Helfrich is a problem...
Can't wait to hear Ruins01 tell us how ASSU's loss to fUCLA is better than our win at Oregon.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

Apparently I have a new 2014 superstition that's gonna be tough to maintain:

Fireball Fourth Quarter

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:And of course now the talking heads are saying Oregon isn't that good and Helfrich is a problem...
Can't wait to hear Ruins01 tell us how ASSU's loss to fUCLA is better than our win at Oregon.
It is so frustrating and why I believe the media should have no say in polls or rankings.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

NorCalCat wrote:Apparently I have a new 2014 superstition that's gonna be tough to maintain:

Fireball Fourth Quarter
Love that stuff. I had another cinnamon whiskey but I waited to partake until the game was over because I was afraid I was going to start
throwing things at the TV.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

NorCalCat wrote:Apparently I have a new 2014 superstition that's gonna be tough to maintain:

Fireball Fourth Quarter

I'm suddenly skeptical of your chances to survive the season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:And of course now the talking heads are saying Oregon isn't that good and Helfrich is a problem...
It is so frustrating and why I believe the media should have no say in polls or rankings.
LostLettermen is on quite the roll. Now that Arizona beat Oregon apparently the Pac-12 is in the "OR" area of the last spot in the football playoff.
Meanwhile yesterday at this time the Pac was considered the second best conference in all of college football. Hmmm...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah the general consensus I'm seeing now is that maybe Helfrch sucks and that the Oregon dynasty is over and that they suck. We only beat them since they aren't good anymore.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah the general consensus I'm seeing now is that maybe Helfrch sucks and that the Oregon dynasty is over and that they suck. We only beat them since they aren't good anymore.
This is the east coast bias in full effect. If you're not in the SEC you obviously suck.

In response to that tweet there was not one person who mentioned UCLA.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The SEC hype is always out of control but especially this year with so many teams near the top10. Most SEC defenses are a joke nowadays. It's crazy how they beat each other up and it's all fine and dandy but if AZ knocks off Oregon the P12 blows. So irritating.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Am I crazy for thinking that we could enter the ASU with only 1 loss (FUCLA)?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

3goggles wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that we could enter the ASU with only 1 loss (FUCLA)?
Not at all. Even better, let's get to those bastards with no losses.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If this team can handle the L.A. schools, the sky is the f*cking limit.

Hopefully they can come down and realize that before next Saturday. We've been here before as a program but have never been able to maintain. Use the national talking heads and clueless East Coast pollsters as fuel for the focus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Last year after Oregon we were crushed by asu. 2 years ago we followed up the okie state win with 3 straight losses (after our scrimmage vs. Sc state).

No more letdown. No more wsu home losses. Beat usc and then we know special things can happen rather than our one token upset per year.

Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Hopefully the 2 extra days will help because, ya, this is typical Arizona shit the bed after a big win territory. Also, with it being a huge home game against a ranked opponent named u$c, I would hope we come to play because if we just 'do what we do' we should pull away from them in the 2nd half.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Last year after Oregon we were crushed by asu. 2 years ago we followed up the okie state win with 3 straight losses (after our scrimmage vs. Sc state).

No more letdown. No more wsu home losses. Beat usc and then we know special things can happen rather than our one token upset per year.
Three straight losses... the Oregon game was bad, but they dropped 48 on Stanford on the road and damn near won that game, and lost to Oregon St. by 4. Both of those games had a badly undermanned Arizona team making good teams work for everything. Last year against Oregon these guys were playing out of their heads, and then went to play an ASU team that treated us as their bowl game.

This year these guys are starting to believe in themselves. They came off of the Hill Mary high and were all business at Oregon. If they pull this off against USC... I expect them to be ready this time. They finally know what it means to win. (Two extra days after a big win doesn't hurt either.)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The corner has been turned. Hard edge has been defined. We will not slip back and Anu knows how to win. The defense stepped up, the offense was efficient on the second half. Special teams were actually special.

Believe, believe, believe
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:The corner has been turned. Hard edge has been defined. We will not slip back and Anu knows how to win. The defense stepped up, the offense was efficient on the second half. Special teams were actually special.

Believe, believe, believe

I wouldn't say we've turned that corner just yet. But we've definitely poked our head around it to see what's around it.

USC game is so pivotal. Win that and....well, just win that :)

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

She's a hottie!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Does anyone know what play he is calling and how often RichRod makes him call it?

http://twitpic.com/ecc249
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

the real dill wrote:Does anyone know what play he is calling and how often RichRod makes him call it?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Slap a Duck on two.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Over @ the other board, I predicted 9-10 wins when we had that pre-season poll, and I was one of the more optimistic ones. Now I pretty much expect 9 wins (this includes a bowl). I want more though...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lose to usc by 2+ scores and I'm back to thinking 8 wins. Close game against usc I'm thinking 9. Beat use comfortably and I'm thinking 10 wins.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:
What the.....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Mark loves him some Wildcats, but we've got more to prove before getting that far. Beating SC like a drum would help.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Depth is a huge plus for this team. Just to compare offensive weapons with ASU's: ASU is constantly touting 3 players. We obviously need Anu to play well, but the Cats have around 8-10 other offensive players who could star on any night. On defense the Cats substitute tons of guys all game long. Not only does this help keep guys fresh, which I think will be our greatest advantage against USC next weekend, but it keeps the entire team engaged in every play. Plus what it does for team chemistry is massive.

These last 2 victories against Oregon have shaken up both programs. Ours in a very good way!

Go Cats!!
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Pump the brakes Mark. Pump the brakes.