Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:I think he says, "We got a great a leader coming back, in at quarterback, got Khalil back...."

Besides, which is more believable? That he says what I transcribed? Or that he doesn't know Khalil Tate's name?
Or he's just been doing a million things in a short amount of days and his brain was fried.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

With our basketball program in tatters right now, really seems like it's up to Sumlin to carry the torch now. UA Football going to have to pull AZ out of its funk.
Sid

Post by Sid »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:With our basketball program in tatters right now, really seems like it's up to Sumlin to carry the torch now. UA Football going to have to pull AZ out of its funk.
I will gladly accept a transition from a “basketball school” to a “football school” with open arms.

Let’s go Sumlin, we’re ready!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sid wrote:
TheGreatCatsby wrote:With our basketball program in tatters right now, really seems like it's up to Sumlin to carry the torch now. UA Football going to have to pull AZ out of its funk.
I will gladly accept a transition from a “basketball school” to a “football school” with open arms.

Except it'll never happen long term. Arizona just doesn't have the natural resources to become a "football school." It just doesn't.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Sid wrote:

Except it'll never happen long term. Arizona just doesn't have the natural resources to become a "football school." It just doesn't.
We can never be an elite Top 10 football school like we have and can be in Basketball consistently.

That being said, I think with the right coach and right facilities, no reason we cant be a Top 25 program every year or Top 25-35 consistently like we were under Larry Smith with the occasional Great run.

Tucson has proven it will support winning teams in any sport. We can be a great place for Low 4 Star High 3 Star talent from Texas or Cali or Vegas or Arizona to come too.

We will never be USC but no reason we cant be a good program.

We have never had a strong recruiter as a head coach for football ever. We have never had even above average facilities for football.

When the indoor facility is complete with Lowell Stevens done and now with Sumlin we check those boxes, we can actually see what our true potential is. We will have a good recruiter as a head coach and above average facilities. Not Oregon or Alabama facilities but 100000 times better then just 5 years ago. Above average which to me, is fine because I think our school is 1000 times above average in so many ways compared to so many other schools. That's why candidly I have always been more curious with football because it feels like we have never seen its true potential.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Sid wrote:

We can never be an elite Top 10 football school like we have and can be in Basketball consistently.

That being said, I think with the right coach and right facilities, no reason we cant be a Top 25 program every year or Top 25-35 consistently like we were under Larry Smith with the occasional Great run.

Tucson has proven it will support winning teams in any sport. We can be a great place for Low 4 Star High 3 Star talent from Texas or Cali or Vegas or Arizona to come too.

We will never be USC but no reason we cant be a good program.

We have never had a strong recruiter as a head coach for football ever. We have never had even above average facilities for football.

When the indoor facility is complete with Lowell Stevens done and now with Sumlin we check those boxes, we can actually see what our true potential is. We will have a good recruiter as a head coach and above average facilities. Not Oregon or Alabama facilities but 100000 times better then just 5 years ago. Above average which to me, is fine because I think our school is 1000 times above average in so many ways compared to so many other schools. That's why candidly I have always been more curious with football because it feels like we have never seen its true potential.
Agreed on all counts.
520in480

Post by 520in480 »

I believe AZ can be a better football school than people think. I think a consistent Top-25 programs is doable, with the right coach. There are some schools that have set some good models. Wisconsin has become a perennial top-15 program without a roster full of 4 and 5 star recruits. They've established a clear identity and culture, and recruit accordingly.

The second model is Oklahoma (I am not saying we can be on that level), but their in-state talent is actually less than AZ according to recruiting services. However, they are right next to Texas, with it's abundance of talent. UA has a similar set-up geographically with Southern California.

Additionally, most college football powerhouses are the only show in town, which brings a number of benefits. UA is the only show in town in a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million residents and two hours away from an alumni base (my wife) and fans (me) that numbers in the tens of thousands.

Everything comes down to the head coach. If UA landed Saban or Myer, does anyone think they would not be able to pull top-15 recruiting classes? So it's about finding the right coach. Sumlin is a major get in my opinion. If Sumlin can take UA from a perennial 6 to 8-win team to a perennial 8-10 win team, which I think he can, I believe attendance and revenue will increase significantly and UA can begin to develop a winning culture.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

'After RichRod's prickly relationship with the media this won't help win them over
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:'After RichRod's prickly relationship with the media this won't help win them over
If Lev wants to whine about not having media access, go complain to Hansen. I have no sympathy. Star shouldn't have any credentials for the entire athletic department anymore.

(I actually think Lev is good, but I do think that the Star should be cut off until Hansen and maybe even Finley are gone)
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:'After RichRod's prickly relationship with the media this won't help win them over
Fuck the media! What’s the saying, a few bad apples....it will never happen, but the soap in the pillow cases (full metal jacket) treatment would be perfect for that pompous ass! Seriously, I feel for Lev and the others and hope one of them punches that ass pirate in the throat. Kidding about the soap, but someone needs to show Greggy the error of his ways....his employer won’t.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea just threaten to shoot him right
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This is the football board let's remember that please. Thanks in advance
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't think it's a stretch to think the relationship between the UA athletic department and the Star is very acrimonious. Hansen's behavior was unconscionable. I'm sure he has some allies, even with the University. And the Star's reporting of the RR firing and track & field coach certainly didn't help the relationship. I'm NOT saying the reporting wasn't justified, but it no doubt created a lot of friction. Tucson is a one team town. That's a double-edged sword. If there's a scandal or trouble, it's going to get tons of coverage and scrutiny. That's just the way it is.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sid wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yea just threaten to shoot him right
Your misinterpretation of what others write is very telling scum. Please share regarding the first time you chopped the head off one of your pets as a child. Did you feel remorse or was the experience more of a calming effect on you?
You've been warned about your behavior already.

Back to coach.

I don't care if he's that accessible to media one practice in. There's a lot of rebuilding to do. Get it done.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

prh wrote:
If Lev wants to whine about not having media access, go complain to Hansen. I have no sympathy. Star shouldn't have any credentials for the entire athletic department anymore.

(I actually think Lev is good, but I do think that the Star should be cut off until Hansen and maybe even Finley are gone)
You said a mouthful. Those two clowns should have been shown the door years ago. Hansen's nonsense goes all the way back to Lute Olsen.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
prh wrote:

You said a mouthful. Those two clowns should have been shown the door years ago. Hansen's nonsense goes all the way back to Lute Olsen.
Being made available doesn't bring in recruits or sell tickets. It would be one thing if the Athletic department wasn't reporting information or showing pictures or videos but they are and I bet they will continue to do so.

This is the U of A saying F*ck you to the Star which is well within the U of A rights to do. What he did was beyond Bullshit and still shocked he has not been fired.

Heeke is the fucking man for doing this
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Just win and no one will care if you didn't give media access. However, if it doesn't go well don't expect the media (namely Hansen) to hold back on the criticism.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Except that RichRod won, and had the most exciting QB in the nation in the month of November, and still no one in Tucson cared enough to show up. Look how differently Hansen treated Tomey v. Lute in his articles, given the access to each one.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sumlin is taking control of the team and it’s attitude towards football. The media is butthurt but I think it’s poetic justice. Most of the media never called out RR or his recruiting. So now they’re mad at Sumlin? Comical. Football is football. This team and coaching staff have a lot of work to do. Football is paramount.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
prh wrote:

Lute who?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Screw the media. Sumlin inherited a dumpster fire and if he needs time to fix things behind closed doors then give him all he needs.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Merkin wrote:Except that RichRod won, and had the most exciting QB in the nation in the month of November, and still no one in Tucson cared enough to show up. Look how differently Hansen treated Tomey v. Lute in his articles, given the access to each one.
True but the fans had already given up on RichRod. I'm sure the local media was talking up Tate and running stories about his historic November but as you said, no one cared. So do you think allowing access for the media to write fluff pieces on this coming year will do anything?

I think the new coach has energized the fan base and I don't think media writing fluff articles will add much. Like I said previously though, I don't expect the media to hold back if he doesn't produce.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:Sumlin is taking control of the team and it’s attitude towards football. The media is butthurt but I think it’s poetic justice. Most of the media never called out RR or his recruiting. So now they’re mad at Sumlin? Comical. Football is football. This team and coaching staff have a lot of work to do. Football is paramount.
PREACH!!!!! So true.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:Except that RichRod won, and had the most exciting QB in the nation in the month of November, and still no one in Tucson cared enough to show up. Look how differently Hansen treated Tomey v. Lute in his articles, given the access to each one.
I bet you will be surprised at the attendance levels this year. I am thinking they will be very strong. Tucson basically hated Rich Rod
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
I bet you will be surprised at the attendance levels this year. I am thinking they will be very strong. Tucson basically hated Rich Rod
agree. our (paid) attendance was like 42,600 last year which was like 76% full. i'd be very surprised if it didn't bump up at least 5k a game, even if we aren't very good. if we actually start out well and are like 4-0 going into the USC and Cal home games, those could be near sellouts.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

That USC home game will be UA's chance to get back on the map. Would be a really huge game if we went in at 4-0, having beat BYU, Houston, Southern Utah, and Oregon St. to start the season.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I don't blame the Athletic Department circling the wagons. What do you expect? They are under so much scrutiny now, their #1 job is to stop the bleeding and get the house in order. There is really no positive spin they can put on the last 7 or so months, so why bother. Just run the business and keep preaching the "good news."

to: Sumlin..You have ~40-45k hard core fans showing up week in week out. Then there is a sleeping bear in Tucson that will start to show up if you wins games (or so I have been told). I hold out hope that we can tap that energy, have a solid season (8-9 wins incl ASU), and start picking up some recruits. Do your job and don't allow any shenanigans please!!
Biljack

Post by Biljack »

I think there is a lag, and folks weren't ready to invest after the loser season prior. Sumlin will need a successful first year to affect attendance, so not expecting a full stadium in 18.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think there will be a honeymoon period with Sumlin's first season and the heightened interest it brings. Anecdotally, I've heard a few more folks talking about possibly going to some games with the head-coaching change. BYU will bring their fans so that game should be packed with lots of blue in the stands (even though it is labor day weekend and most Arizonan's will be out of town). USC is always a big attraction, so I think that one will be packed as well, especially if we are going in undefeated. The real test is Cal, which should still hold interest if you are an educated fan because it is conference game. History tells us that Cal doesn't bring in the crowds. (see 2014 when we played Cal and drew 45k and a couple weeks later played USC and drew 56k).
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

These are always inflated due to people who don't show, but still no reason we shouldn't be 90% with the capacity we have
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

and up until the last 2 seasons, we pretty much always were at 90%+

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

We will get there again and plans in the future are to reduce capacity of the stadium when they re-do West and South sides. I think that is needed. Get down to roughly 50,000 people and we will have sell outs most games
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

It's the little things in life....Sumlin hosting Pima's Head Football coach and staff...so F*cking stupid Rich Rod made an enemy out of him...they produce 2-3 good D1 transfers every year
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

One benefit of the media blackout is Sumlin can avoid all the awkward questions every day about how the team he inherited looks like...every day RR was all our team is so weak, so slow, obviously lacking in the weight room, which we bought hook line and sinker from the new shiny salesman. But those same players turned out in the end to be among the best he ever had here.

I don't mind letting Sumlin see what he's got first in spring practices before commenting on the players too much, he was hired pretty late to really know a whole lot at this point.
prh

Post by prh »

With how the department has started putting out so much original content, I don't blame them for limiting media access. That allows them to set the narrative and conversation.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:With how the department has started putting out so much original content, I don't blame them for limiting media access. That allows them to set the narrative and conversation.
I would much rather see those great practice videos where they follow a coach then the post practice interview where they give coach speak for 10 min. Giving the real access is awesome
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

On Jim Rome in the next segment.

http://www.wildcatsradio1290.com" target="_blank
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I like how he says "Kevin Sumlin speaks ... to Jim Rome". They are that butt hurt that Sumlin is keeping quiet to the media. Sucks that it effects the other writers and I like Lev, but fuck the Star. As long as Greg Hansen is there I will take joy in anything that gets them upset. (Plus in general I don't mind coaches limiting access)
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Arizona is changing their equipment staff this year. This is NOT however due to Wendell getting forced out by Heeke/Sumlin like Scheer implies on his board. Not that he cares, but he lost some of my respect Scheer gained through the Sean Miller ordeal with his shoddy, one source, rumor reporting on this.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Any chance Sumlin can flip an Ohio State recruit decommit or two? Meyer is basically done there it appears.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Any chance Sumlin can flip an Ohio State recruit decommit or two? Meyer is basically done there it appears.

Maybe but dont count on it. Ohio State has always been solid. All the coaches they have had have been solid. Ohio State Football is so so so much bigger than Meyer.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Any chance Sumlin can flip an Ohio State recruit decommit or two? Meyer is basically done there it appears.
What happened with Meyer and tOSU? OMG never mind, saw the other thread. That is crazy news
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azcat49 wrote:
What happened with Meyer and tOSU? OMG never mind, saw the other thread. That is crazy news
Meyer is on administrative leave.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I’m sure there will be a handful of transfers. And with the proposed transfer database it will be easier to get in touch with those transfers. Playing time is usually a selling point.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

We could use an Ohio State offensive tackle recruit, that's for sure. We're the hot new program-new coaching, new indoor facilities being built as we speak, new upgrades to stadium.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

[quote="btfd16]"he lost some of my respect Scheer gained through the Sean Miller ordeal with his shoddy, one source, rumor reporting on this.[/quote]

I completely disagree with you there. He had the story nailed from the beginning. Hansen and his lot was were all the shoddy reporting was coming from
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

whatisee wrote:[quote="btfd16]"he lost some of my respect Scheer gained through the Sean Miller ordeal with his shoddy, one source, rumor reporting on this.
I completely disagree with you there. He had the story nailed from the beginning. Hansen and his lot was were all the shoddy reporting was coming from[/quote][/quote]

He nailed the story? You cannot prove he nailed that Ken N got an offer just like I can't prove he didn't
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
whatisee wrote:[quote="btfd16]"he lost some of my respect Scheer gained through the Sean Miller ordeal with his shoddy, one source, rumor reporting on this.
I completely disagree with you there. He had the story nailed from the beginning. Hansen and his lot was were all the shoddy reporting was coming from
[/quote]

He nailed the story? You cannot prove he nailed that Ken N got an offer just like I can't prove he didn't[/quote][/quote][/quote]

So which of these sounds more likely to have happened logically and how college athletic departments are handled today?

a)
Heeke decides that he can afford Sumlin but would rather have Ken N
Ken N accepts the position
Tate tweets out that he does not want to run the triple option
Heeke decides to let Tate in on the process of the hiring but DOES NOT tell Tate that Ken N is not running the triple option
Arizona decides to take back the offer on Ken N and goes back to the hiring process
Sumlin accepts the job after being offered knowing he was behind Ken N on Heeke's wish list

b)
Heeke interviews Sumlin and wants to hire him, but Sumlin's demands are a little higher than what Heeke can offer
Heeke goes to boosters and fans and gets some of the money needed to meet the demands
Heeke purposely leaks the Ken N info to Lev and Scheer to set a screen to buy time to get more money from boosters, who eventually give enough to get Heeke what he needs
Heeke hires Sumlin
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

We are on the same page Machina. I do not think Ken N was offered. I also had ex players that are still very involved with the program and without getting too revealing, still currently employed in some capacity that it was always Sumlin. The only leaks were to do part 3 in point B. Mainly recruiting budget.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, this looks rough so far. 2:42 in the third and D is still a sieve and Tate looks neutered in the new offense.