2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Re: 2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Irish27 »

OSUCat wrote:I wonder how long before we get the first 2019 recruit on board.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chief on Twitter (yes I follow chief on twitter) alluded to him committing to Arizona

Would be big time for us
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

In Sumlin we Trust
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Am I wrong in assuming this is a two QB recruiting class?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

South Carolina is my guess.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

24/7 crystal ball says SC
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I have no idea why, but when he said he'd be announcing Eastern time, I immediately assumed South Carolina is the pick.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sucks as would have been a big commitment and zero clue why South Carolina. F*ck the SEC
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Such a bummer as would have been a solid start to the class and send a strong message in SoCal. Zero clue on South Carolina. Never heard a SoCal recruit going there

Wish him well and who knows maybe he moves across the country and hates it and transfer back to the west coast
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Can we not post Chef Bort's tweets?! Some of us are thoroughly enjoying his absense.
Formerly McLurvin
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TheBlackLodge wrote:Can we not post Chef Bort's tweets?! Some of us are thoroughly enjoying his absense.
While I hate his method, the guy does have good insights into recruiting
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

TheBlackLodge wrote:Can we not post Chef Bort's tweets?! Some of us are thoroughly enjoying his absense.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Just another gentle reminder that following AZ football recruiting is a fool's errand.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:Just another gentle reminder that following AZ football recruiting is a fool's errand.
God I know but I so want it to be something good. With the new Indoor facility, Lowell Stevens done, and Sumlin and great recruiters on staff, now is the time to get it done.

If Sumlin and Co cant bring in great recruits, I feel like it will just never happen at Arizona because finally our facilities will be on par.

Praying every night Sumlin and Co makes it happen. Chief is optimistic!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't mean this to hate on Sumlin, I mean this to be fair. We have issues that no HC change can alleviate. Meh facilities, a lack of great tradition and no local talent base are basic issues that will take time to change. I don't think it's overly pessimistic to say that the deck is stacked against us in ways.

I always want to see Arizona win, but it just can't change like that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't mean this to hate on Sumlin, I mean this to be fair. We have issues that no HC change can alleviate. Meh facilities, a lack of great tradition and no local talent base are basic issues that will take time to change. I don't think it's overly pessimistic to say that the deck is stacked against us in ways.

I hate that you are 10000% right. I will disagree and say that our facilities after the new indoor and practice fields are complete at the end of this year will now be above average. Nothing spectacular but Above Average for the PAC 12. Nice weight room, locker room, Indoor center, team cafeteria, players lounge, new academic building, etc. Nothing way over the top like Oregon but all very nice and nothing that should hurt us like our previous facilities.

The deck will always be stacked against Arizona in football being in the same division as USC and UCLA. Tough to ever imagine we will have higher ranked recruits then either of those teams ever in football. Growing up and living in SoCal the pull of both those programs especially USC is very strong with SoCal players. So every year we will need to compete against teams with better recruits. I think we have beat both those teams in the same season three times in our programs history being in the PAC 10/12. That's what was so amazing about 2014 is we lost to both but were still able to win the South division.

I get frustrated though with a guy like Ryan where he is a SoCal kid but not looking at USC or UCLA but has good talent. We need to start winning those battles and I think over time we can.

Honestly, just want to make one Rose Bowl before I die! I have no illusions for Arizona ever being a football powerhouse
Sid

Post by Sid »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't mean this to hate on Sumlin, I mean this to be fair. We have issues that no HC change can alleviate. Meh facilities, a lack of great tradition and no local talent base are basic issues that will take time to change. I don't think it's overly pessimistic to say that the deck is stacked against us in ways.

I hate that you are 10000% right. I will disagree and say that our facilities after the new indoor and practice fields are complete at the end of this year will now be above average. Nothing spectacular but Above Average for the PAC 12. Nice weight room, locker room, Indoor center, team cafeteria, players lounge, new academic building, etc. Nothing way over the top like Oregon but all very nice and nothing that should hurt us like our previous facilities.

The deck will always be stacked against Arizona in football being in the same division as USC and UCLA. Tough to ever imagine we will have higher ranked recruits then either of those teams ever in football. Growing up and living in SoCal the pull of both those programs especially USC is very strong with SoCal players. So every year we will need to compete against teams with better recruits. I think we have beat both those teams in the same season three times in our programs history being in the PAC 10/12. That's what was so amazing about 2014 is we lost to both but were still able to win the South division.

I get frustrated though with a guy like Ryan where he is a SoCal kid but not looking at USC or UCLA but has good talent. We need to start winning those battles and I think over time we can.

Honestly, just want to make one Rose Bowl before I die! I have no illusions for Arizona ever being a football powerhouse
They (Usc & Ruins) most likely would like to offer a kid that has destroyed the trinity league. Ryan not so much. The kid has tools no doubt, but that grind it out, get the tough win (gritty type) of QB, he is not! Would of been nice to have the kid in our bullpen though. I’m hopeful Sumlin can secure quarterbacks that are dominating in tough leagues such as the trinity, just a matter of time....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:

I'm not sure we're above average even after the IPF. The arms race is so high that you have to have an IPF plus more to break even.

Look at what Northwestern is doing:

https://youtu.be/1qbgoOSAmHE" target="_blank

Today, an IPF just really gets you in the game, but doesn't set you apart. I think we can get to a point where we don't have a facilities disadvantage, but we're a ways from having a facilities advantage.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I'm not sure we're above average even after the IPF. The arms race is so high that you have to have an IPF plus more to break even.

Today, an IPF just really gets you in the game, but doesn't set you apart. I think we can get to a point where we don't have a facilities disadvantage, but we're a ways from having a facilities advantage.
I think ultimately the point is our facilities will no longer be a detriment to our cause like they were previously in football. It's one less thing working against us. Of course there's still plenty working against us, but it's nice to have that monkey off our back.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is it me or are we seeing our logo with more of the big dogs lately?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Our facilities are not a detriment at all at this point. They are good to great and in the upper quarter in the country probably. We just had a coach that couldn't recruit before.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

We are for sure above average once the Indoor is done. I mean we can not have an IPF with a beautiful lake view like Northwestern (FYI, that view is crap 85% of the time in Chicago) but to have an Indoor right next to our Football Complex is big. Everything is right there. Keep in mind we also have Tucson which is a crap load better then 90% of the College towns out there. We are a fun school with really hot chicks so maybe some schools have nicer facilities but other things can help Arizona. To me a recruit will tour Arizona and its facilities and they will not be disappointed in anyway. Blown away, probably not but I don't think its a major issue

Facilities will not hurt us in anyway anytime soon in recruiting. We also have new dorms which players stay in from what I have heard and the new academic facility too which is top notch. Everything in short walking distance too.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3* CB Logan Wilson has committed. Out of Texas
Last edited by whatisee on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Take the ?s=21 off the end.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Thanks!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Kind of an OKG recruit

Doesn’t wow me at all and is pretty small. Would have thought Sumlin and coach meat would have started stronger this class
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

and so it starts again...
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

lol 1 recruit in and the sky has fallen.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Newport are you suggesting that Sumlin should have only allowed a 4 or 5 star to commit first before allowing a 3 star commit?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Guys, sorry but just looking at at facts

1. This recruit has one major other offer then us Iowa. That was very indicative of OKG recruits. Majority of offers were from lower level schools
2. This guy is small. 5'10 165 lbs. I look at a guy we took last year in Jhevon Hill at CB. 6'3 185lbs. Great size and seems like a fluid athlete.
3. Stats - 24 Tackles and 2 INT (One of a tipped pass), not exactly dominating in high school
4. Tape - Seemed fine but the guy plays in a big division in Texas for a big school so many many schools have seen his tape and many schools did not offer him
5. Recruiting rankings - 1200 roughly overall which is high so a mid level 3 star guy. Very similar to the OKG's we previously took

Sky is not falling by any means but to say this recruit stands out is just lying. He is fine and nothing bad but very typical of what Arizona recruits. A lower 3 star player without many competitive options. I am hoping Sumlin can change this. Get more higher end 3 stars and mixed with some 4 stars. Like Stoops did for a couple years.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:Guys, sorry but just looking at at facts

1. This recruit has one major other offer then us Iowa. That was very indicative of OKG recruits. Majority of offers were from lower level schools
2. This guy is small. 5'10 165 lbs. I look at a guy we took last year in Jhevon Hill at CB. 6'3 185lbs. Great size and seems like a fluid athlete.
3. Stats - 24 Tackles and 2 INT (One of a tipped pass), not exactly dominating in high school
4. Tape - Seemed fine but the guy plays in a big division in Texas for a big school so many many schools have seen his tape and many schools did not offer him
5. Recruiting rankings - 1200 roughly overall which is high so a mid level 3 star guy. Very similar to the OKG's we previously took

Sky is not falling by any means but to say this recruit stands out is just lying. He is fine and nothing bad but very typical of what Arizona recruits. A lower 3 star player without many competitive options. I am hoping Sumlin can change this. Get more higher end 3 stars and mixed with some 4 stars. Like Stoops did for a couple years.
Actually most Okg guys we got had no major school offers besides Arizona and often only had FCS offers besides Arizona.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Yeah, OKG seemed more like UNLV type of offers not the Iowa type of offers. Iowa has had some solid defense teams over the years.

One thing about being in a big time conference is that you can be overlooked compared to others. Not saying he would be a standout in a little conference but it’s something to think about. Like is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?

I’m willing to see what these coaches do with the class before having an issue with one recruit. This isn’t “everything is awesome” recruiting yet, but a start to the recruiting season.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Actually most Okg guys we got had no major school offers besides Arizona and often only had FCS offers besides Arizona.
Outside of Iowa, this guy only had FCS offers playing for a big time school in Dallas. He seems like a fine recruit but if we ever want to make a Rose Bowl, we need talent.

Its one recruit and this class has a long way to go but I do hope next commits are ranked above this guy
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Outside of Iowa, this guy only had FCS offers playing for a big time school in Dallas. He seems like a fine recruit but if we ever want to make a Rose Bowl, we need talent.

Its one recruit and this class has a long way to go but I do hope next commits are ranked above this guy
You kind of outlined the exact reason we should be excited for this recruit. He is fine skill-wise, nothing to write home about, but this is a guy from a big program in a talent rich area that we have not recruited well recently. I'm fine with giving a project a scholarship if it helps reestablish the Arizona pipeline to Texas and a big program. Plus, we are not a program that can expect the entire class to be 4 and 5 stars. I'm happy with this one, he seemed like he wanted to be a Wildcat from the start, and hopefully he immediately gets in the ear of other recruits in Texas.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I’m not saying he is a bad recruit but definitely an OKG meaning a recruit that will have to far exceed expectations to be a big contributor for us.

One thing that does piss me off is guys taking about 5 stars. First off there are only 30 5 star players roughly every year in football so no program is ever going to bring in a ton of 5 stars. Top programs are lucky to get 2-4 every year.

We need high 3 stars mixed with some 4 stars to be successful.

If this guy helps leads to that because of his school awesome. But after closely following our football recruiting for the last twenty years, I am done ever getting excited about lower ranked 3 star recruits who are undersized with little competitive scholarship offers. Could type out 100 names of those guys who never did shit for Arizona. The list of guys who did something too is much smaller in comparison.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I know very little or nothing about this recruit that everyone is now talking smack about. I do know this, recruiting is or at least should be a process. You establish relationships with high schools and nurture them and you're always looking to establish more relationships. I know this happens in many schools, where you take a lesser athlete from a school because you know this will get you better athletes down the road. I don't know if that's what the coaches here are thinking with this recruit or not but I know Sumlin is no slouch when it comes to recruiting and its not like we're not already fairly deep with young talented defensive backs. My thinking is there is another bigger reason for this. I may be wrong here but I'm going to let it play out. Chill out guys,
Sid

Post by Sid »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I know very little or nothing about this recruit that everyone is now talking smack about. I do know this, recruiting is or at least should be a process. You establish relationships with high schools and nurture them and you're always looking to establish more relationships. I know this happens in many schools, where you take a lesser athlete from a school because you know this will get you better athletes down the road. I don't know if that's what the coaches here are thinking with this recruit or not but I know Sumlin is no slouch when it comes to recruiting and its not like we're not already fairly deep with young talented defensive backs. My thinking is there is another bigger reason for this. I may be wrong here but I'm going to let it play out. Chill out guys,
This!

Very little risk and huge upside in offering this kid. I like this play a lot and let’s just see what gems we might uncover from this high school down the road.....

The OKG moniker needs to be erased from our memories stat!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I find it funny that any Arizona fan can be disappointed in a commitment from a 3* recruit. Iowa seems to do pretty good at finding CB talent. Josh Jackson was 3 star recruit and most likely will be a first round selection this year.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am not overly upset about this recruit but just hoping with Sumlin leading us we can step up our recruiting game and get higher ranked players. That's all. Its one commit, sky is not falling and if we have all learned anything about football recruiting is never judge a player or class too much until after signing day because it can change a bunch

And I will stand corrected on Logan as Chief likes him a lot on Twitter
Sid

Post by Sid »

Newportcat wrote:I am not overly upset about this recruit but just hoping with Sumlin leading us we can step up our recruiting game and get higher ranked players. That's all. Its one commit, sky is not falling and if we have all learned anything about football recruiting is never judge a player or class too much until after signing day because it can change a bunch

And I will stand corrected on Logan as Chief likes him a lot on Twitter
More recruits will be pledging and let’s have a little faith in Sumlin was my point. You follow Chief, ask him about the shitstorm the Rod left behind at one of the better OC programs in the trinity league? Just might be why that QB you wanted chose the gamecocks over us.....

I think Sumlin has enough upstairs to realize you don’t want to piss off the coaching staff of O-Lutheran. The last guy, not so much, but then again he thought running JJ up the gut on short & goal would be a good idea? I think we will be in great shape now thank God, let’s be optimistic in Sumlin’s recruiting approach.

BTFD!
prh

Post by prh »

If anything, I would expect a big difference between a Texas 3* Sumlin offers and a Cali 3* RR offers
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Logan, other competitive offer was Iowa
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

Logan Wilson looks like he's a good corner. Good pick up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Has Arizona ever had success with a big strong Texas QB though...oh wait....man Nick Foles picked a great time to become big dick nick

Gunnell would be amazing
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
Saw quite a few things saying he has a helicopter dad. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's some scuttlebutt going around that Arizona is in good position or at the very least gaining steam with Grant Gunnell.