2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Re: 2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by UALoco »

This thread has been so quiet lately...question is...is it a spring about to get sprung? Or, a wilting flower dying on the vine?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Yo Chief how happy would getting Grant Gunnell be for you? A fan of him or you only like Cali QB's? Would be a homerun trying not to get my hopes up, but the fact that we were his first official and he was committed to Mazzone and Sumlin before this has to mean something. As far as 2019 goes I haven't really kept up with it everything seems slow right now, but now that kids can take officials in the summer I think it gets very interesting in June and July, but also it might not. RR got like all of his recruits in the summer not sure how Sumlin will play it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Punter.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Just noticed, but Grant Gunnell on 247 sports got 4 new predictions for Arizona the last two days. Picking up steam. I knew he was our main target but tempered my expectations on actually getting him. Now I am starting to get excited.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:Punter.
Just committed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Punter.
Just committed.
Sumlin talked about this tonight at the Road Tour event in Scottsdale
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

chief doesn't like him

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Punter! Woohoo! No more 10-15 yard punts?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:chief doesn't like him

As much as I think Chief can be a douche, I would trust him over Scheer when it comes to football recruiting. I would agree with Chief here, you only take a Punter on scholarship if they are super elite. This kid is not even the best punter in the state of Arizona this year. Ranked 77th in his class

https://chrissailerkicking.com/player-r ... ?year=2019" target="_blank
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I will say I'm not sure what the rush was. Arizona was doing very well for Sailer's top ranked punter in the state of Arizona and had Sailer's #5 ranked punter on campus literally this past weekend. I think this guy would've been there if we struck out on the others. Well let's hope for the best I guess.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Reading Sailers comments on the kid it sure sounds that he has all the tools to be elite. Also, with how bad punting has been over the years, I wouldn’t pin my hope on trying to land one specific kid. Arizona needs a punter...
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I will say I'm not sure what the rush was. Arizona was doing very well for Sailer's top ranked punter in the state of Arizona and had Sailer's #5 ranked punter on campus literally this past weekend. I think this guy would've been there if we struck out on the others. Well let's hope for the best I guess.
I agree completely. We don’t have as many scholies in this class so everyone counts

Also looks like he rugby punts a lot which I hate

http://www.hudl.com/v/27vMWu
Last edited by Newportcat on Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

btfd16 wrote:Just noticed, but Grant Gunnell on 247 sports got 4 new predictions for Arizona the last two days. Picking up steam. I knew he was our main target but tempered my expectations on actually getting him. Now I am starting to get excited.
This would be a BIG commitment and really hoping we land him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I will say I'm not sure what the rush was. Arizona was doing very well for Sailer's top ranked punter in the state of Arizona and had Sailer's #5 ranked punter on campus literally this past weekend. I think this guy would've been there if we struck out on the others. Well let's hope for the best I guess.
I agree completely. We don’t have as many scholies in this class so everyone counts

I don't mind rugby punts if the punter is genuinely good at them. In the case of our punters under Rich Rod they were forced to rugby punt and they were obviously putrid at it. If this kid can rugby punt and rugby punt well I'm good with it as you should play to your players' strengths. I mean that's how you win games. I'm with you though as I prefer normal punting, but from that Scheer post it seems like he's capable of getting very good hang time, so the potential is more than there. I hate to give Jefe credit, but he's absolutely right about the importance of drop time (I have no idea how good or bad this kid's drop time is), so let's hope it's good enough or will have improved.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote:

As much as I think Chief can be a douche, I would trust him over Scheer when it comes to football recruiting. I would agree with Chief here, you only take a Punter on scholarship if they are super elite. This kid is not even the best punter in the state of Arizona this year. Ranked 77th in his class

I don't give a shit what either one of you think about recruiting. I'll trust Sumlin to pick his guys for the Cat's. :shock:
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I don't mind rugby punts if the punter is genuinely good at them. In the case of our punters under Rich Rod they were forced to rugby punt and they were obviously putrid at it. If this kid can rugby punt and rugby punt well I'm good with it as you should play to your players' strengths. I mean that's how you win games. I'm with you though as I prefer normal punting, but from that Scheer post it seems like he's capable of getting very good hang time, so the potential is more than there. I hate to give Jefe credit, but he's absolutely right about the importance of drop time (I have no idea how good or bad this kid's drop time is), so let's hope it's good enough or will have improved.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't both those Aussie's at Utah rugby punt? So you are 100% correct. If you are good at it, I couldn't care less. As long as it isn't forced.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

whatisee wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I don't give a shit what either one of you think about recruiting. I'll trust Sumlin to pick his guys for the Cat's. :shock:
So we are never supposed to be critical at all? What is the point of a message board then?

Sumlin does not get to Pick his guys either. That's not how recruiting works. We offer guys and then they pick us. Maybe we had no shot at better punters or maybe Chris Sailor is wrong to rank him at #77 in the country. As much as Chief can be an absolute douche with the way he operates, he was critical of this punter for very logical reasons. He could definitely be wrong but if I have learned anything over the years, trust recruiting rankings. They are not perfect by any means but are a good indicator of talent.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't both those Aussie's at Utah rugby punt? So you are 100% correct. If you are good at it, I couldn't care less. As long as it isn't forced.
Maybe I am just scarred from the Rich Rod punters doing it and absolutely sucking at it
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

someone more knowledgeable please tell me why RichRod never used Gerhard DeBeer to punt.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If we like a kid, they fill a need, and they like us, I don't know why timing matters. Hopefully we get brownie points with other kids for not playing games. Hypothetically, we could wait, get a better player, and not use a scholie...but how has that worked for us in the past?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:If we like a kid, they fill a need, and they like us, I don't know why timing matters. Hopefully we get brownie points with other kids for not playing games. Hypothetically, we could wait, get a better player, and not use a scholie...but how has that worked for us in the past?
No one said not to use a scholie. We offered like 10 punters for 2019, signing period is in December and it's only May. If the staff likes him enough great, just gives me pause that we were in a great spot for the top punter in the state and probably just had to wait a bit, but we jumped on the #2 guy from the state. No big deal either way, I'm sure he'll be massive upgrade from what we had last year regardless.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UALoco wrote:If we like a kid, they fill a need, and they like us, I don't know why timing matters. Hopefully we get brownie points with other kids for not playing games. Hypothetically, we could wait, get a better player, and not use a scholie...but how has that worked for us in the past?
No one said not to use a scholie. We offered like 10 punters for 2019, signing period is in December and it's only May. If the staff likes him enough great, just gives me pause that we were in a great spot for the top punter in the state and probably just had to wait a bit, but we jumped on the #2 guy from the state. No big deal either way, I'm sure he'll be massive upgrade from what we had last year regardless.
Let’s be honest, I think there are 3 to maybe 4 posters on this board alone who would be an upgrade over our punters from last year.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MrMeow wrote:someone more knowledgeable please tell me why RichRod never used Gerhard DeBeer to punt.
I don't have an answer for you tbh. I watched G punt. It was unreal. Thought at the worst case, just try.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

MrMeow wrote:someone more knowledgeable please tell me why RichRod never used Gerhard DeBeer to punt.
A couple reasons. First, just because you can rugby punt for distance does not mean you can punt for football. Out punting your coverage leads to returns for touchdowns. Also, he lacked directionality, and putting the ball where the coverage guys are expecting the ball to be is pretty important.

RR play called the rollout punts because he liked the extra yardage from the bounce when the other team was not confident enough to try to catch it. He also erroneously thought the extra time from the rollout was equivalent to hang time, but he didn't factor in that roll outs generally produce low line drives. And our punters had no training on them so play calling them was forcing a desire rather than maximizing player capabilities.

The punting problems last year were to a great degree due to snapping after Reinhart was injured and we started using tight ends and centers trying to find a reliable snapper. We didn't have the same problems the year before even though we had the same punters.

I find it amusing watching Scheer try to speak knowledgeably on special teams on Twitter in response to Chief. He didn't even recall Havrisik being on scholarship but then turns around and speculates he is leading for field goals. If I were the coaches, I would steer very clear of Scheer
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Wait...you think Arizona punting problems only took place last year? And that was only due to a snapper?

With regards to scheer, he did Tweet he missed that one and corrected himself. A very minor mistake that doesn’t destroy credibility as some jump at. And It’s not a leap to say that Harv is pushing for a job he had part time last year. It just silly to make an assumption that Scheer is always wrong based on those examples. And I don’t put to much stock in either person.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

FlyonWall wrote:
A couple reasons. First, just because you can rugby punt for distance does not mean you can punt for football. Out punting your coverage leads to returns for touchdowns. Also, he lacked directionality, and putting the ball where the coverage guys are expecting the ball to be is pretty important.

RR play called the rollout punts because he liked the extra yardage from the bounce when the other team was not confident enough to try to catch it. He also erroneously thought the extra time from the rollout was equivalent to hang time, but he didn't factor in that roll outs generally produce low line drives. And our punters had no training on them so play calling them was forcing a desire rather than maximizing player capabilities.

The punting problems last year were to a great degree due to snapping after Reinhart was injured and we started using tight ends and centers trying to find a reliable snapper. We didn't have the same problems the year before even though we had the same punters.

I find it amusing watching Scheer try to speak knowledgeably on special teams on Twitter in response to Chief. He didn't even recall Havrisik being on scholarship but then turns around and speculates he is leading for field goals. If I were the coaches, I would steer very clear of Scheer
Chief, that you again?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Punter :evil: :cry:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Another commit, Michael wiley

Underwhelming rankings as we beat out the IVY leagues for him

https://twitter.com/_michaelwiley/statu ... 49127?s=21

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Wiley-46053310" target="_blank
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

OKG lives bitches.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Newportcat wrote:Another commit, Michael wiley

I thought we stopped recruiting 2-star recruits. :shock:
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

The kid made a big mistake.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Rich Rod recruits at least had mountain west offers....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well we know he will qualify!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:

I tend to agree. You never turn down Princeton for Arizona unless you have next level talent. I love Arizona but Princeton can provide a multitude of opportunities far superior to Arizona while in school and afterwards
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Does Princeton offer scholarships?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Does Princeton offer scholarships?

Academic yes but not athletic
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:Does Princeton offer scholarships?
Like all the IVY’s their endowments have so much money that you can get free financial aid depending on how much your parents make

https://admission.princeton.edu/who-qualifies-aid" target="_blank

It’s a helluva deal. Hardest part now is getting into an IVY, tuition is almost free for everyone
Last edited by Newportcat on Sat May 26, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

I tend to agree. You never turn down Princeton for Arizona unless you have next level talent. I love Arizona but Princeton can provide a multitude of opportunities far superior to Arizona while in school and afterwards
I lived in Princeton N.J. for a while after U of A. Not only are the opportunities superior, but Princeton N.J. is a wonderful place to spend one's college years - or beyond.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Grant Gunnell has narrowed it down to Arizona, Ca, & Ohio State and will commit to a school next month. At the moment all the crystal ball picks (for what they're worth) are picking Arizona and it sounds like Ohio State has moved on to other QBs per one of their insiders who picked Arizona in the crystal ball.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Grant Gunnell has narrowed it down to Arizona, Ca, & Ohio State and will commit to a school next month. At the moment all the crystal ball picks (for what they're worth) are picking Arizona and it sounds like Ohio State has moved on to other QBs per one of their insiders who picked Arizona in the crystal ball.
I believe he will be a Wildcat and will be a very big commitment
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With so few scholarships available it has been interesting to see who we are going after. This of course would be a no brainer pick up, a QB post Tate who you could attract other top level talent too. We especially needs some rangy wide outs and some OL guys.

Thought the Wiley kid was an interesting pick up. Looks good on film and you would think Texas is full of good backs.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I have been reserved on Gunnell, but there is now no doubt in my mind that he will commit to Arizona in the month of June. All in. LSU got a top 2020 in state prospect yesterday and has another 2019 QB visiting this weekend. tOSU seems to be scrambling. I think the Sumlin/Mazzone connection takes over. Book it. Quote me. Make me eat crow.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:I have been reserved on Gunnell, but there is now no doubt in my mind that he will commit to Arizona in the month of June. All in. LSU got a top 2020 in state prospect yesterday and has another 2019 QB visiting this weekend. tOSU seems to be scrambling. I think the Sumlin/Mazzone connection takes over. Book it. Quote me. Make me eat crow.
Only UCLA concerns me at the moment.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I have been reserved on Gunnell, but there is now no doubt in my mind that he will commit to Arizona in the month of June. All in. LSU got a top 2020 in state prospect yesterday and has another 2019 QB visiting this weekend. tOSU seems to be scrambling. I think the Sumlin/Mazzone connection takes over. Book it. Quote me. Make me eat crow.
Only UCLA concerns me at the moment.
Long Story but was up near UCLA a couple weeks back and went to see what I could of their new football facility...its looks Awesome from what I could see...have a feeling Chip could get the Bruins rolling...lets hope I am wrong

I think here UCLA is a tad bit late
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting don't get excited about Arizona football recruiting
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I feel the same way but honestly this is my attitude

I am all in on Sumlin. If Sumlin can’t win or recruit well to Arizona, I am convinced no one can. He checks every box outside of being fired from his last job. He has a winning record everywhere he has been including SEC, he has great ties to Texas and has recruited Arizona well before. He has hired an experienced staff with great ties to SoCal. He has better facilities by far then any previous coach here especially with new indoor coming so facilities will be on par with everyone on the west coast except Oregon. Stadium getting redone in parts too and I bet next five years it’s completely revamped. He has a president who loves sports. He has a gloried mediocre OC acting as a head coach at USC, the only blue blood program on our division/conference. He has Herm fucking Edwards as the head coach at ASU.

I am all in

BUT if Sumlin doesn’t get it done to me it’s maybe a lost cause to think we can ever be consistently good in football or recruit well
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:I feel the same way but honestly this is my attitude

I am all in on Sumlin. If Sumlin can’t win or recruit well to Arizona, I am convinced no one can. He checks every box outside of being fired from his last job. He has a winning record everywhere he has been including SEC, he has great ties to Texas and has recruited Arizona well before. He has hired an experienced staff with great ties to SoCal. He has better facilities by far then any previous coach here especially with new indoor coming so facilities will be on par with everyone on the west coast except Oregon. Stadium getting redone in parts too and I bet next five years it’s completely revamped. He has a president who loves sports. He has a gloried mediocre OC acting as a head coach at USC, the only blue blood program on our division/conference. He has Herm fucking Edwards as the head coach at ASU.

I am all in

BUT if Sumlin doesn’t get it done to me it’s maybe a lost cause to think we can ever be consistently good in football or recruit well
I tend to agree. I don't think we should be expecting 10+ wins and rose bowls every year or anything, but him being the real deal at Arizona would mean coaching here for 10 years and taking us to 3-4 10 win seasons and always in a bowl and possibly a year or two if seriously competing as a top 5-10 playoff contending team.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:I feel the same way but honestly this is my attitude

I am all in

Yep there is no better opportunity for us to become permanently relevant than right now. Let's not forget that we should have 2 more years of a very talented QB to jump start his tenure as well.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I refuse to get excited...trust me, it is best that way..gives us the best chance to recruit well because if I do get excited, it is a cold-lock that we are disappointed, again.