2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

whatisee wrote:I think we picked up 3 solid pieces this weekend. Bradford is a 6’5” DE, and now Watson who looks perfect for the Spur LB
Yep, these are all of the competitive caliber I was hoping for.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Josh Szott commits to the UofA.http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/joshua- ... efault.htm" target="_blank
He looks like he has some speed. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7802553/5a ... 21acc4142b" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

New on-campus recruiting coordinator. Helluva lot better looking than Dudek
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sold
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I still got 4 years of eligibility I think
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
prh

Post by prh »

Well I certainly hope we cleaned out the trash that was allegedly causing certain issues under the last regime
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I’m starting to think Gunnell will be a colossal bust

https://n.rivals.com/news/the-rivalscha ... arterbacks" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:I’m starting to think Gunnell will be a colossal bust

Based off those comments? Good christ you would've loved the comments Nick Foles had said about him at the same stage.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Based off those comments? Good christ you would've loved the comments Nick Foles had said about him at the same stage.
His performance this summer leaves a lot to be desired. Doyle to me is our future. Gunnell also sucked at the elite 11 camp

I don’t think it was as hard to land Gunnell as we all think
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Ever look at the elite 11 QBs since 2014? I know like 3 or 4. I like that Alabama gets a elite 11 qb every year but they seem to fizzle out. I wonder who has coached more NFL QBs, elite 11 or Mazzone?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

His performance this summer leaves a lot to be desired. Doyle to me is our future. Gunnell also sucked at the elite 11 camp

I don’t think it was as hard to land Gunnell as we all think
Some guys do not do well in camp settings and never do, hence why I referenced Nick Foles. When the lights are on the kid just makes play after play. Doyle may be the guy you're right, but that doesn't make Gunnell dogshit and it's also not as if he's a finished product by any stretch.

LSU and Ohio State wanted Gunnell to the very end. Spin it how you want to though.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am not spinning anything, how does this quote make you excited about him. When you are 6'6 you should have great arm strength. Foles played for a legit high school in Texas and always had a strong arm. He is not a great practice player but neither is Sam Darnold but always clear both had elite arms. Gunnell players for a private school in Texas that candidly never heard of before. Maybe he is the next Nick Foles but these type of quotes concern me a lot
Gunnell towered over the rest of the quarterbacks but his size has not translated to arm strength. Many of the Arizona commit’s passes fluttered and defensive backs could frequently be seen batting his passes down and grabbing interceptions.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can't teach 6'6" but you can improve arm strength and accuracy. Time will tell. If he can bring us three 4 or 5 star guys who cares.

Best thing about that UT transfer (QB from Chaptown) under RR was he brought us Jones. Pump the brakes Newport
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:I am not spinning anything, how does this quote make you excited about him. When you are 6'6 you should have great arm strength. Foles played for a legit high school in Texas and always had a strong arm. He is not a great practice player but neither is Sam Darnold but always clear both had elite arms. Gunnell players for a private school in Texas that candidly never heard of before. Maybe he is the next Nick Foles but these type of quotes concern me a lot
Gunnell towered over the rest of the quarterbacks but his size has not translated to arm strength. Many of the Arizona commit’s passes fluttered and defensive backs could frequently be seen batting his passes down and grabbing interceptions.
What's funny is his arm strength was never in question prior to the Elite 11 camp. Hell watch one highlight tape of him and tell me his arm strength looks like an issue. Like I said some guys just don't perform well in camp settings.

Are we really going to go with him playing for a weak high school excuse? A weak high school with these guys on his team:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Curry-87585" target="_blank
https://247sports.com/player/chase-lane-46037828" target="_blank
https://247sports.com/player/mckade-mettauer-46037827" target="_blank

Like I said I could absolutely see Doyle winning that QB battle, but playing like crap in a camp setting does not equate to pure garbage. We'll see, but we're not depending on this guy to start from day 1. A lot of good tools to work with here, which is about all you could ask for. Either way you are grossly jumping the gun.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off Gunnell plays against subpar competition playing for a private school in Texas. Unlike SoCal where private schools dominate football, in Houston and Texas in general, public schools are where the best players play. Grant's team definitely has talent on it but he is not playing against the best competition. I would take all his stats with a huge grain of salt at the high school level. He is not playing against Katy or North Shore

Secondly, from his highlights I would question his arm strength. He does not look like he has a gun at all. Doyle's tape looks much better then his and Doyle arm strength looks really good. Doyle also played against really legit competition in high school and performed well. Played against De La Salle, St John Bosco and legit teams in DC area. His team was a Top 50 team in the country.

What concerns me is not only do I believe Gunnell does not have elite arm strength, I hate questions about him being inaccurate as well which is what is coming out of these camps.

I know someone who was at the camp in LA earlier this summer where Gunnell was and came away unimpressed. He is very knowledgeable about football and just said Gunnell, outside of being really tall, did not look that good and did nothing special.

Sure I could be totally wrong but willing to bet money he never starts over Doyle and think he is overrated. Its why he is dropping in the rankings. Look if he was ranked like Doyle, I would not be saying any of this, but this guy is ranked as an elite level QB and I do not think he is.

Candidly, with how recruiting goes, who even knows if he stays committed to us.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm willing to wait until the scrimmage and see his arm strength for myself.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Here is a nice article on Brandon Joseph.
https://247sports.com/Article/Three-sta ... 116787361/" target="_blank
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azgreg wrote:
Wait... this guy has SEVEN offers to Arizona?

How many scholarships are we allowed to give to one guy?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Well, this is certainly not looking good.

Hopefully, Sumlin turns this around.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Never judge a football recruiting class until the day after signing day

Sumlin has plenty of time to land some studs
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:
Texas Tech...keep in mind Sumlin knows Brandon very well through his son.

And Carl Williams, big strong DT who visited committed to Arkansas

Sumlin better realize quickly that focusing on Texas at Arizona is a bit of fool's gold. SoCal needs to be the priority, then Arizona, then Texas and Vegas.

Kids from Texas have too many options better then Arizona or perceived as better. Will always be that way. They will like Arizona and commit and then Texas, or A&M, or Baylor, or Tech, or TCU, or OU, or OSU, or Arkansas comes calling. Help us if Houston ever joins Big 12.

Cali kids, you have to worry about USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and UW. With Stanford you know pretty early if a guy has the grades to go there and USC and UCLA can't take everyone. Over time I think we can compete with Oregon and UW. Not win every battle but do ok and win our fair share. Same against ASU or Colorado or Utah for SoCal players.

We will lose 90% of the time for a kid from Texas to a school in Texas in a Power 5 conference.

I trust Sumlin knows this and this is why he hired Coach Meat, Coach Iona, and kept Yates on the staff. All have strong SoCal recruiting connections. Andy Vaughn our new recruiting coordinator appears to be dialed in at SoCal too from his days at Nevada and Calibraska.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:

Sumlin better realize quickly that focusing on Texas at Arizona is a bit of fool's gold. SoCal needs to be the priority, then Arizona, then Texas and Vegas.

We will lose 90% of the time for a kid from Texas to a school in Texas in a Power 5 conference.

I trust Sumlin knows this and this is why he hired Coach Meat, Coach Iona, and kept Yates on the staff. All have strong SoCal recruiting connections. Andy Vaughn our new recruiting coordinator appears to be dialed in at SoCal too from his days at Nevada and Calibraska.

Will gladly take whatever comes from Texas and Florida, but it's frustrating that between the two it's somehow ASU who's racking up the Texas commits. They've picked up four recent lonestar commits while who knows what our strategy is.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

OKG just wont die :cry:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:OKG just wont die :cry:
It appears it won't

As I have said before if Kevin Sumlin (reputation as a strong recruiter) with this staff (Many on staff known as strong recruiters) with facilities that might not be Oregon but now check all the boxes (Dedicated football facility/weight room, indoor practice facility, nice new practice field) can not recruit talent to Tucson, no one can and our program is doomed to mediocrity.

I am doing my best to have a positive outlook for now and believe Sumlin will get it done...hopefully
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Newportcat wrote:
UALoco wrote:OKG just wont die :cry:
It appears it won't

As I have said before if Kevin Sumlin (reputation as a strong recruiter) with this staff (Many on staff known as strong recruiters) with facilities that might not be Oregon but now check all the boxes (Dedicated football facility/weight room, indoor practice facility, nice new practice field) can not recruit talent to Tucson, no one can and our program is doomed to mediocrity.

I am doing my best to have a positive outlook for now and believe Sumlin will get it done...hopefully
I am done with tracking recruiting too closely, life is too short. If Sumlin shows he can extract more out of these men than they are supposed to deliver, I think the winning and recruits will eventually follow.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Not great offers but Utah and Oregon State
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought coaches were not allowed to refer to recruits by name until they were signed - did something change?

-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:I thought coaches were not allowed to refer to recruits by name until they were signed - did something change?

Coaches can retweet or quote stuff like this now. Martin tweeting Johnson specifically by name though is off limits still.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Appears to be very fast and comes from a good high school who produces talent including former wildcat Austin Hill

This is a much better stretch low 3 star commit to get. Actually has other PAC 12 offers. Great height and athletic and from SoCal. Sure he is not a 5 or 4 star guy but could see him developing into a solid player because its apparent he has upsize
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

FYI, SPARQ rating for Jalen, very good athlete

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... en-johnson" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote:FYI, SPARQ rating for Jalen, very good athlete

I like him. We need big targets for these big arm QB's we have coming in
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

whatisee wrote:
Newportcat wrote:FYI, SPARQ rating for Jalen, very good athlete

I like him. We need big targets for these big arm QB's we have coming in
I hope he is a lot more productive this year but I always look at SPARQ scores if they are available to see if someone is an athlete at least. To me, you can be raw but if you are an athlete you are at least starting at a great point. If you look back at Rich Rod's recruits, many of the best players had great SPARQ scores like Scooby Wright. To be close to 100 is a good sign.

I look at someone like Kylan Wilborn who also had a great SPARQ score. Clear he is a great athlete, maybe a bit undersized but has strong athletic tools to work with

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... an-wilborn" target="_blank

Colin Schooler the same

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... n-schooler" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Daily Star has headline indicating Gaines commitment but link says story moved?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote:Daily Star has headline indicating Gaines commitment but link says story moved?
Think they're just anticipating it. It's coming later today though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ramcat wrote:Daily Star has headline indicating Gaines commitment but link says story moved?
Think they're just anticipating it. It's coming later today though.
He did move our offer tweet to his pinned tweet.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A couple of nice gets.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Been reading that Yates wants him at LB. I’ve always been a fan of switching safeties to lbs if they have the size.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Class is already over half way complete due to shortage in numbers and it looks like a carbon copy of a Rich Rod class.

I know 2020 is the real year to place judgment on the job of this staff in the recruiting department, but ehh I expected a tad bit more.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Class is already over half way complete due to shortage in numbers and it looks like a carbon copy of a Rich Rod class.

I know 2020 is the real year to place judgment on the job of this staff in the recruiting department, but ehh I expected a tad bit more.
I disagree, Sumlin class looks to be focused on size versus rr focus on 5-8 speed.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

You really can't grade this class for a few years. The class from a few years ago was not highly touted but many of those guys have performed very well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think this has has a few more guys with multiple power 5 offers so that to me us an uptick from RR.

Overall though I agree with Choo, it is short on 4 star guys which I thought we would get like in Stoops years
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think it was Winger who posted at TOS or Scout Premium that the key isn't necessarily getting four star guys, as the ones we get often seem to be ones with academic issues and that is why they are available and we only get a few a year anyways.

The key is the three star guys, who are the majority of a class. You have to get high three star guys vs. low three stars (and two stars, unranked, etc.).

Not sure if any ranking service shows that level of detail.
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:I think this has has a few more guys with multiple power 5 offers so that to me us an uptick from RR.

Overall though I agree with Choo, it is short on 4 star guys which I thought we would get like in Stoops years
Less than 50% of our committed recruits have multiple power 5 offers.