14 Khalil Tate (Aug 2017-Aug 2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Tate said what most if us were thinking and wanted but it didnt impact anything at all. But if he thinks it did he better perform this year
Prove it.
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... start=1250" target="_blank
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Tate said what most if us were thinking and wanted but it didnt impact anything at all. But if he thinks it did he better perform this year
Prove it.
Didn't you just say "I guess I'm in the minority here" ??? lol
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Prove it.
Didn't you just say "I guess I'm in the minority here" ??? lol
There were a number of reasons that fans didn't want Ken N. Some thought he would run the triple option here (which is ridiculous). Some thought he couldn't coach in a P-5 conference. Then there were those who thought he wouldn't be able to recruit here. However, i'll retract my question. Carry on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure hope we don't get the Tomey curse again. When and how he was fired brought a number of years of bad luck and once again we rebuffed his recommendation of hiring Ken N
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:Sure hope we don't get the Tomey curse again. When and how he was fired brought a number of years of bad luck and once again we rebuffed his recommendation of hiring Ken N
The team loved coach Tomey. A bitter pill to swallow when the players would break down walls for the man.
My opinion, we have the next coach Tomey in regards to respect and loyalty from a players perspective. I look at what we have and what will come from a prosperous season and see & smell roses. This ride will be something we’ve never seen before...hopefully you all have the (spine) to endure it all.....

BTFD!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Give this a listen. Really good insight on everything with the hire and Tate.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Like Sumlin said yesterday, Tate really just hasn't played many games yet so he's still got a lot to learn. The fine motor skills of the position if you will. Tate mentioned he's a more reserved person, but can still be a team leader in his way. That's why right now, not sure Heisman hype helps him if he's still in that qb formational stage. Let him play some, no problem ramping up after the season starts if he's crushing it. Week 2 @ Houston an immediate big game/national test for him. An impressive showing there, the national media will start the Heisman hype machine on its own. If he struggles, against Houston, next major attention won't be until USC. He's going to have the huge annoyance of dealing with Ed Oliver all game, so his timing and decision making will be put to the test quick.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So which of these sounds more likely to have happened logically and how college athletic departments are handled today?

a)
Heeke decides that he can afford Sumlin but would rather have Ken N
Ken N accepts the position
Tate tweets out that he does not want to run the triple option
Heeke decides to let Tate in on the process of the hiring but DOES NOT tell Tate that Ken N is not running the triple option
Arizona decides to take back the offer on Ken N and goes back to the hiring process
Sumlin accepts the job after being offered knowing he was behind Ken N on Heeke's wish list

b)
Heeke interviews Sumlin and wants to hire him, but Sumlin's demands are a little higher than what Heeke can offer
Heeke goes to boosters and fans and gets some of the money needed to meet the demands
Heeke purposely leaks the Ken N info to Lev and Scheer to set a screen to buy time to get more money from boosters, who eventually give enough to get Heeke what he needs
Heeke hires Sumlin
Sid

Post by Sid »

PHXCATS wrote:So which of these sounds more likely to have happened logically and how college athletic departments are handled today?

a)
Heeke decides to let Tate in on the process of the hiring but DOES NOT tell Tate that Ken N is not running the triple option
Arizona decides to take back the offer on Ken N and goes back to the hiring process
Sumlin accepts the job after being offered knowing he was behind Ken N on Heeke's wish list

b)
Heeke interviews Sumlin and wants to hire him, but Sumlin's demands are a little higher than what Heeke can offer
Heeke goes to boosters and fans and gets some of the money needed to meet the demands
Heeke purposely leaks the Ken N info to Lev and Scheer to set a screen to buy time to get more money from boosters, who eventually give enough to get Heeke what he needs
Heeke hires Sumlin
B. I even said it in the coaching search thread before Sumlin was hired. That’s exactly what I was told and why I posted it. Great days ahead, let’s enjoy this mother fucking ride.....
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sid wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So which of these sounds more likely to have happened logically and how college athletic departments are handled today?

a)

b)
Heeke hires Sumlin
B. I even said it in the coaching search thread before Sumlin was hired. That’s exactly what I was told and why I posted it. Great days ahead, let’s enjoy this mother fucking ride.....
Exactly. People can believe what they want about their knowledge and their involvement but when you break it down it is clear what actually happened
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Well if scenario B is true, then that's pretty bad ass by Heeke.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

a)

b)
Heeke hires Sumlin

b
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Hand him the Heisman!!!

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dang, there goes the season! Hope he recovers quickly.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Looks great....but I hope the 1st quarter injury he'll suffer against byu isn't season ending!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Damn it. 4-8 here we come.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dan Patrick show just talked about this for a while
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Hand him the Heisman!!!

The kiss of death
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

yep, season over. :cry:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Glad I didn't buy season tickets.... thanks Sports Illustrated.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am going to embrace the expectations (as my fingers, legs and nuts are all crossed). Haven't bought a SI in years (probably since desert swarm in 94) but looks like I will now.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Really guys? You believe in this shit? And you complain about no exposure then cry when we get it? The loser talk is unreal
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:Really guys? You believe in this shit? And you complain about no exposure then cry when we get it? The loser talk is unreal
Yes we absolutely believe it without a single bit of doubt or hesitation. There is no sarcasm at all to read into any of these posts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Really guys? You believe in this shit? And you complain about no exposure then cry when we get it? The loser talk is unreal
Yes we absolutely believe it without a single bit of doubt or hesitation. There is no sarcasm at all to read into any of these posts.
He's going to pull a sphincter muscle dropping a deuce at a random bathroom on campus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sevun! Thanks a lot UDUG!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

We are Arizona. We don't need a player on the cover of a magazine to have things not go our way.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brovada sets Tate's over/unders for the season:

Total passing yards: 2550.5
Total passing TDs: 20.5
Total rushing yards: 1400.5
Total rushing TDs: 13.5

Last year:
passing yards: 1591
passing TDs: 14
rushing yards: 1411
rushing TDs: 12
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DrWildcat wrote:We are Arizona. We don't need a player on the cover of a magazine to have things not go our way.
Lmao

This should be on the pregame football intro.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

New Era for the team

Same loser talk by the fans
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Didn’t know joking about the historical futility of Arizona football constituted “bad fandom”

Duly noted.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

:lol: hilarious
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Didn’t know joking about the historical futility of Arizona football constituted “bad fandom”

Duly noted.
I didnt say loser talk is "bad fandom"

Loser talk is what it is, loser talk.

And it has been around the Arizona Fanbase forever. Just like when people want to "fly under the radar" and complain about no exposure for the team and players then cry about it when they get exposure.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You wanna talk bad fans...

Bad fans kept us from the rose bowl in 2009 when they felt like jumping the rail for sideline standing room only seats with half the 4th left to go.

But we can’t talk about the random shit that always breaks against Arizona fb (and sports in general)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bad fans are lowlifes playing bottle toss and taking out an opposing cheerleaders eye.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

There is different types of exposure. A mid rent magazine cover does not compare to getting shafted on kickoff start times.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Must be football season because I’m coming out of hibernation
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:You wanna talk bad fans...

Bad fans kept us from the rose bowl in 2009 when they felt like jumping the rail for sideline standing room only seats with half the 4th left to go.

But we can’t talk about the random shit that always breaks against Arizona fb (and sports in general)
I was there than night, absolutely awful turn of events in the 4th and OT

For me here is the difference. Talking about shit that happened in the past is just talking about the past. Nothing bad about that and that is not loser talk.

Loser talk is expecting the same to happen in the future when there is not factual basis to go off of for that. You are joking, its all good. But there are hundreds of posts and tweets and talk on the radio about this that is not a joke and that is total loser talk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What a shit awful game that was.

F**K Mike Stoops and going to the prevent defense to start the 4th quarter.

Why change what has been working for 3 quarters to go with something completely different? Wasn't the first time that season either.

Like Lou Holtz used to say, the only thing a prevent defense prevents is winning.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Game sucked.

I flew in for game day, spent the day hanging out at the uni and on 4th, and had seats first row top deck east at the 40 right over the students.

You could just see classic stoops mismanagement piss it away.
prh

Post by prh »

Whoa I just had a realization....

We've been told football would have made a Rose Bowl already if the fans showed up for games.

But, we'd 100% have a Rose Bowl appearance if fans DIDN'T show up for that Oregon game.

Ruh roh
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

As many of you remember, I was in the front of the Red Zone for that one. Never lost so much of my voice in my life.

No reason for that terrible fourth quarter. Game should have never gone to OT.

It wasn't just Stoops...it was like all of Arizona Stadium choked that night. The bottle-throwing afterwards was just Tucson's temper tantrum of realization. Oregon wanted the win more. Part of me has never gotten over the embarrassment of that night.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't help the students were already on the field ready to tear down the goalposts when up 24-14 in the 4Q, and still there when up 31-24 with 6 seconds left.

Act like you've been there.

Nick Foles had an outstanding game, and Alex Zendejas pretty good too.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:Didn't help the students were already on the field ready to tear down the goalposts when up 24-14 in the 4Q, and still there when up 31-24 with 6 seconds left.

Act like you've been there.

Nick Foles had an outstanding game, and Alex Zendejas pretty good too.
That's exactly the problem: None of them had ever been there before. The moment couldn't have been handled worse if the Buffalo Bills had made it to their first Super Bowl--at home, under Marv Levy, with a fully healthy Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas.

Foles threw some of the tightest spirals in that contest (including the third quarter TD bomb to Juron Criner) I've ever seen thrown by a QB at any level. Never seen him play a better game as a Wildcat.

The Red Zone was in the South End Zone in 2009, and I couldn't have had a better view of the tidal wave of students pouring down from the top of Section 209 onto the sideline, then the field. You could actually HEAR them coming down before they actually started doing it.

It was dominoes, then it was Plinko, then it was f*cking "Iceberg, dead ahead" on the Titanic. I actually did tell azcat49 at that very moment, in fact, "We've had it." :(

We all saw the holy grail that night. It was in our grasp...but we just weren't up to the moment. Haven't been since.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:

Whoa I just had a realization....

We've been told football would have made a Rose Bowl already if the fans showed up for games.

But, we'd 100% have a Rose Bowl appearance if fans DIDN'T show up for that Oregon game.

Ruh roh
Fail big time. No way the fans didnt help the team in the first 53 minutes of the game. Good try though.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

2017 finalist Trace McSorely of Penn State headlines Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award preseason watch list
Tuesday morning, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award announced its preseason watch list, which features 49 of the top quarterbacks in the country. In our annual reminder, the award is given yearly to the top signal-caller in the country who is either a senior or fourth-year junior on schedule to graduate with their class and takes into account his accomplishments both on and off the field.
Jake Bentley, South Carolina
David Blough, Purdue
Ross Bowers, Cal
Jake Browning, Washington
Kelly Bryant, Clemson
K.J. Carta-Samuels, Colorado State
Christian Chapman, San Diego State
Keller Chryst, Tennessee
Taylor Cornelius, Oklahoma State
Eric Dungey, Syracuse
A.J. Erdely, UAB
Ryan Finley, NC State
Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State
Ty Gangi, Nevada
Will Grier, West Virginia
Justice Hansen, Arkansas State
Justin Herbert, Oregon
Alex Hornibrook, Wisconsin
Tyler Huntley, Utah
Tyree Jackson, Buffalo
Daniel Jones, Duke
Kyle Kempt, Iowa State
Hasaan Klugh, UTEP
Brian Lewerke, Michigan State
Drew Lock, Missouri
Jake Luton, Oregon State
Trace McSorley, Penn State
Marcus McMaryion, Fresno State
McKenzie Milton, UCF
Gardner Minshew, Washington State
Steven Montez, Colorado
Hayden Moore, Cincinnati
James Morgan, FIU
Shea Patterson, Michigan
Bryce Perkins, Virginia
Gus Ragland, Miami of Ohio
Malik Rosier, Miami
Brett Rypien, Boise State
Kyle Shurmur, Vanderbilt
J’Mar Smith, Louisiana Tech
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Brent Stockstill, Middle Tennessee
Jordan Ta’amu, Ole Miss
Khalil Tate, Arizona
Alex Thomson, Marshall
Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
Brady White, Memphis
Manny Wilkins, Arizona State
Brandon Wimbush, Notre Dame
Since when is Tate "either a senior or fourth-year junior on schedule to graduate with their class"?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

"Loser talk". That is a new one for me. I guess we should talk about how great we are and then it will be guaranteed to happen.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

DrWildcat wrote:"Loser talk". That is a new one for me. I guess we should talk about how great we are and then it will be guaranteed to happen.
you've discovered machina logic.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have been waiting since 1981 when I was a freshman at the UAA for the Cats to go to the Rose Bowl as conference champs. Actually thought our best chance was with Larry Smith, if he hadn't of taken the redeye out of town. That RichRod year was more of a shocking good surprise than anything else.

Now I am a father, a grandfather, and looking at retirement in 2 years.

Settling for mediocrity in the football program is all I know now.