4 Rhett Rodriguez

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

4 Rhett Rodriguez

Post by ANGCatFan »

Rodriguez is a 6-0, 201, Sophomore quarterback from Tucson. He played against UTEP and NAU last year in very limited time rushing 4 times for -1 yards and 1 TD and passing once for a 10 yard completion. He is likely to be behind the 2 Freshman QBs, but we will know more once we actually see a depth chart.

4 interceptions against Wash St was the high for last season.
Chicat

Re: 4 Rhett Rodriguez

Post by Chicat »

It's so weird that he's still on the team. I guess he's waiting to see where his dad is going to land? Which is weird because I was repeatedly told he was a legit scholarship QB and didn't need his dad to get a roster spot on a major conference team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't follow recruiting, but it seems that he was a legit mid-major FBS talent in the right offense. More so than Dawkins.

Don't think RichRod is going anywhere, perhaps the broadcast booth again. $6.3M will go quite a ways on not really having to work that hard.

Besides, the game has pretty much passed him buy with a gimmicky offense and defense.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:It's so weird that he's still on the team. I guess he's waiting to see where his dad is going to land? Which is weird because I was repeatedly told he was a legit scholarship QB and didn't need his dad to get a roster spot on a major conference team.
I don't get hating on him. Kids are ridiculed and berated for leaving and "quitting" on their team when the going gets tough, but the one time a kid stays in which he has more adversity and more reasons to leave than anyone, he's shit on. I don't get it.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

btfd16 wrote:
Chicat wrote:It's so weird that he's still on the team. I guess he's waiting to see where his dad is going to land? Which is weird because I was repeatedly told he was a legit scholarship QB and didn't need his dad to get a roster spot on a major conference team.
I don't get hating on him. Kids are ridiculed and berated for leaving and "quitting" on their team when the going gets tough, but the one time a kid stays in which he has more adversity and more reasons to leave than anyone, he's shit on. I don't get it.
Who's shitting on him? I agree, you don't get it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
He really likes the U of A so he wants to stay here for now. go get them Rhett Rod
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I said not one thing to shit on that kid. Not one thing.

I am on record however as being in total disagreement with his dad giving him a scholarship while drawing a fat salary from the school AND Rhett getting reduced tuition. In the meantime, there were kids from modest backgrounds playing meaningful minutes while paying their own way.

When I questioned this previously, I was told he was a legit high major QB prospect and that the schollie has nothing to do with nepotism.

Frankly, I thought RR insulted each and every walk-on when he gave Rhett a scholarship. I give Sumlin credit for honoring it, but I would have given it to someone more deserving.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:I said not one thing to shit on that kid. Not one thing.

I am on record however as being in total disagreement with his dad giving him a scholarship while drawing a fat salary from the school AND Rhett getting reduced tuition. In the meantime, there were kids from modest backgrounds playing meaningful minutes while paying their own way.

When I questioned this previously, I was told he was a legit high major QB prospect and that the schollie has nothing to do with nepotism.

Frankly, I thought RR insulted each and every walk-on when he gave Rhett a scholarship. I give Sumlin credit for honoring it, but I would have given it to someone more deserving.
If that's not hating then i don't know what is
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't read any hating on RhettRod, just RichRod. No one needed a scholie less than RhettRod did.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That's not hating that's an opinion. A good one which he has a right too have
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

whatisee wrote:If that's not hating then i don't know what is
Yep, I hated that RichRod gave his kid a scholarship he in no way needed while making other kids who actually saw the field pay their own way.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Chicat wrote:dad giving him a scholarship while drawing a fat salary from the school AND Rhett getting reduced tuition.
Always thought the same.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Definitely a dick move by RRod.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Besides the greatly reduced tuition for children of state employees, RichRod was the then 2nd highest paid state employee.

https://www.abc15.com/news/data/arizona ... most-money" target="_blank

Even now, I still haven't read where Rhett will be higher than 3rd or 4th string on the depth chart. But some players are fine being a small fish in a big pond.

But props to Rhett for sticking it out, same with his sister. The embarrassment factor of having your father being caught cheating on your mother has to be the about the worst thing going for them so far in their short lives.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am sure everyone is upset about Sean Miller's son getting reduced tuition also
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:I am sure everyone is upset about Sean Miller's son getting reduced tuition also
You do realize reduced tuition and a scholarships are completely different right?

Thanks to my wife, my kids are also eligible for the same reduced tuition, but that doesn't mean someone else gets screwed because of it.
Junior

Post by Junior »

PHXCATS wrote:I am sure everyone is upset about Sean Miller's son getting reduced tuition also
They are talking about scholarships, colossal douche. Please follow along if you are going to chime in
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hush now sweetie, the adults are talking about stuff that’s obviously over your head.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Note too that Athletic Departments need to reimburse the universities for lost tuition for athletic scholarships.

This is RichRod's house in Tucson. It cost $2.5M.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Hush now sweetie, the adults are talking about stuff that’s obviously over your head.
LOL my god, the guy tried to dive right into the pool and ended up landing in the toilet.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Many managers and student staff earn scholarships so Miller's son maybe on scholarship. If Miller gave his son a scholarship no one would care but since it is Rich Rod everyone has an issue it appears.

Rhett earned the scholarship. Would he have gotten an Arizona offer if Rich Rod wasn't the coach? Maybe not but Rhett was good enough for a scholarship. And there is no one that is forced to go to UA who doesn't want to and they are forced to pay. Rich Rod did not stripe a scholarship from someone to give one to Rhett. I see nothing wrong at all with it. Should Josh Rosen been forced to walk on at UCLA because his parents are well off?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Many managers and student staff earn scholarships so Miller's son maybe on scholarship. If Miller gave his son a scholarship no one would care but since it is Rich Rod everyone has an issue it appears.

Rhett earned the scholarship. Would he have gotten an Arizona offer if Rich Rod wasn't the coach? Maybe not but Rhett was good enough for a scholarship. And there is no one that is forced to go to UA who doesn't want to and they are forced to pay. Rich Rod did not stripe a scholarship from someone to give one to Rhett. I see nothing wrong at all with it. Should Josh Rosen been forced to walk on at UCLA because his parents are well off?
Let's be clear, if Sean's son were put on scholarship as a MANAGER it would be an academic scholarship that wouldn't count against the basketball program's scholarship count of 13.

Rich Rod gave his son a full ride athletic scholarship that counts against the football team's scholarship count. Rhett Rod at this moment is our 5th string QB and quite frankly isn't going to climb much at all his remaining years. The move was pure nepotism on Rich Rod's part. Chicat, nor myself, nor any body else are blaming Rhett for this, but it's a move that prevents a guy like Josh McCauley, who probably is going to be our starting center all year if healthy, from being awarded a scholarship this year. It also prevents us from adding another player who could contribute via our recruiting class.

The fact you can't see the difference is awe inspiring quite frankly. Also the Rosen comparison is a red herring if I've ever seen one. Josh Rosen's father was not on the UCLA football coaching staff and obviously wasn't the head coach. He was also one of the highest ranked QB prospects in his draft class and not a FCS level QB. So not only was there zero nepotism involved in the decision to give him a scholarship, but he sure as hell was worth it based on his abilities. AWE INSPIRING IGNORANCE.

The only benefit this program gets from Rhett's scholarship is keeping Bryce Wolma happy.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to spend a day experiencing the world through Machina's head.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to spend a day experiencing the world through Machina's head.
I imagine it’s a lot of blankly staring at clouds ..... and then screaming at them for Arizona’s poor football attendance.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Many managers and student staff earn scholarships so Miller's son maybe on scholarship. If Miller gave his son a scholarship no one would care but since it is Rich Rod everyone has an issue it appears.

Let's be clear, if Sean's son were put on scholarship as a MANAGER it would be an academic scholarship that wouldn't count against the basketball program's scholarship count of 13.

Rich Rod gave his son a full ride athletic scholarship that counts against the football team's scholarship count. Rhett Rod at this moment is our 5th string QB and quite frankly isn't going to climb much at all his remaining years. The move was pure nepotism on Rich Rod's part. Chicat, nor myself, nor any body else are blaming Rhett for this, but it's a move that prevents a guy like Josh McCauley, who probably is going to be our starting center all year if healthy, from being awarded a scholarship this year. It also prevents us from adding another player who could contribute via our recruiting class.

The fact you can't see the difference is awe inspiring quite frankly. Also the Rosen comparison is a red herring if I've ever seen one. Josh Rosen's father was not on the UCLA football coaching staff and obviously wasn't the head coach. He was also one of the highest ranked QB prospects in his draft class and not a FCS level QB. So not only was there zero nepotism involved in the decision to give him a scholarship, but he sure as hell was worth it based on his abilities. AWE INSPIRING IGNORANCE.

The only benefit this program gets from Rhett's scholarship is keeping Bryce Wolma happy.
Chief once reported that Rhett got a scholarship due to Rita pushing for it. Who knows for sure, but we have several possible perps - Rita, RichRod for giving it to him, and perhaps Rhett for accepting it under the circumstances. Should Rhett have volunteered to walk on? I think so. He had to know there were other players more deserving, and it would have cost his parents relative pennies. Seems to be a lack of character all around. No hate, just facts.

Keeping Bryce Wolma happy? Of course, but don't forget the nachos.
Last edited by MrMeow on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reality has left the fucking ship in here
prh

Post by prh »

Why are we even wasting time discussing this?

Is Rhett good enough for a scholarship? Do we have anyone that could use a scholarship?

That should be the extent of the discussion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Why are we even wasting time discussing this?

Is Rhett good enough for a scholarship? Do we have anyone that could use a scholarship?

I pretty much answered those very questions in my post.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Sorry Choo, I didn't mean to ask those questions. They've very clearly been answered. I just don't get why we're discussing any more than the answers provided. Well, ok I do, but I don't know why we keep having stupid discussions for one person.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Sorry Choo, I didn't mean to ask those questions. They've very clearly been answered. I just don't get why we're discussing any more than the answers provided. Well, ok I do, but I don't know why we keep having stupid discussions for one person.
Obviously you can blame me because I brought it up. It just chafes my ass when I think about RR’s “best walk-on program in the country” bullshit when he was barely recruiting high level talent as it was, and then he turned around and gave his kid a schollie when he quite obviously didn’t need one.

I’ll get down off my soapbox now.
prh

Post by prh »

Chi I am 100% with you. Not just a selfish move by RR, but strategically dumb. Scholarship spots are valuable, albeit less with his poor recruiting, but still valuable.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scholarship rules are different in football than in basketball. In basketball, if you don't use all your scholies you can give it to a deserving walk on, even for just that one year.

However, in football, if you give a sophomore walk-on a scholarship, that scholie counts towards the limit for the year the sophomore started at the school.

It is therefore advantageous to try and save a scholarship in football for a deserving walk on, and which the UA has had plenty of walk-ons starting and playing meaningful minutes during the RichRod years.

You can give junior walk-ons scholarships though, which count account the current year, not the past years.

ASU just gave one to Jordan Hoyt, who is a junior for leading prayer meetings for the players.

RichRod gave Belknap a scholarship in his 3rd year so that only goes against the overall 85 count limit.

Sumlin recently gave Berryhill a scholarship, but due to him being in his second year for Arizona that goes against the 25 count limit in Berryhill's freshman class.

That's my understanding anyway, and the rules may have changed.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:I said not one thing to shit on that kid. Not one thing.

Okay I see now. My apologies.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:Didn't read any hating on RhettRod, just RichRod. No one needed a scholie less than RhettRod did.
Yea since coaches have been giving their own kids scholarships since the beginning of time why is everyone so bent now other than its just more hate everything RichRod.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Didn't read any hating on RhettRod, just RichRod. No one needed a scholie less than RhettRod did.
Yea since coaches have been giving their own kids scholarships since the beginning of time why is everyone so bent now other than its just more hate everything RichRod.
Cant name many coaches who gave a scholarship to their son who wasn't good enough for the level he was playing at. Our basketball coach certainly didn't do that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't tgrumpy2 one of the weird AZ fans that hates on AZ basketball and Miller all the time for stealing football's rightful place in the sun?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Which other Arizona coaches have given their children scholarships that could have gone to more deserving athletes?

Whoever they are, my objection stands.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I'm waiting for the depth chart to post...hoping to see Rhett #2 so everyones heads can explode. The season can't start soon enough
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reading Sumlin's comments about the QBs, don't recall RhettRod being in the conversation besides being the only experienced backup. Lane was #2 in spring.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... doyle-tate" target="_blank

Matt Brase was a walk on for his grandfather Lute Olson and played in 26 games, mostly garbage time.

Pretty sure Lute even had extra scholies in 2003/4, Lute only had 9 scholarship players if I count right.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think with Lane or RR, the one year of experience would put them ahead in the beginning of the season.

Mazzone seems to like a strong armed kid and that might be RR'S biggest weakness compared to the others. Guess we will see how it shakes out but I think we can all agree we hope Tate stays upright all season
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:we can all agree we hope Tate stays upright all season
Yep, we are all 100% behind that.

Just need Tate to sit once the game gets out of hand either way. Just someone to come in who won't make mistakes.

BJ Denker had about the weakest arm I have ever seen on a true UA QB, but like he said himself, he was the smartest guy on the team. Set some UA QB rushing records too, until that Tate fella came along.

No idea how good Rhett's wheels are but if the Cats are up 30, putting the ball up in the air is rarely a good idea.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:we can all agree we hope Tate stays upright all season
Yep, we are all 100% behind that.

Just need Tate to sit once the game gets out of hand either way. Just someone to come in who won't make mistakes.

BJ Denker had about the weakest arm I have ever seen on a true UA QB, but like he said himself, he was the smartest guy on the team. Set some UA QB rushing records too, until that Tate fella came along.

No idea how good Rhett's wheels are but if the Cats are up 30, putting the ball up in the air is rarely a good idea.
Gotta be honest here. I liked Denker. The kid had (has) a ton of passion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW this tweet is Rhett's one shining moment:
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't tgrumpy2 one of the weird AZ fans that hates on AZ basketball and Miller all the time for stealing football's rightful place in the sun?
That's not me. I think in the four years I've been coming to this sight I've made one comment about Sean Miller and basketball. I don't even read the basketball part of this forum. I like Sean Miller and our basketball team. I still don't think it was all that weird or out of line for RR to give his kid that scholarship.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Which other Arizona coaches have given their children scholarships that could have gone to more deserving athletes?

Frank Kush gave his kid a scholarship to place kick and although little Danny was okay at it, there were a lot better place kickers out there. The quarterback coach at ASU in the 90s gave his kid a scholarship and the kid ran the scout team for four years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Frank Kush gave his kid a scholarship to place kick and although little Danny was okay at it, there were a lot better place kickers out there. The quarterback coach at ASU in the 90s gave his kid a scholarship and the kid ran the scout team for four years.
So it’s an ASU thing? Sorry, when I said “Arizona” I meant The University of... I don’t give two shits what those idiots up in Tempe think is acceptable when it comes to nepotistic awarding of financial aid to kids who don’t need or deserve it.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

So it’s an ASU thing? Sorry, when I said “Arizona” I meant The University of... I don’t give two shits what those idiots up in Tempe think is acceptable when it comes to nepotistic awarding of financial aid to kids who don’t need or deserve it.

You don't have to give two shits. I really don't care. I'm just trying to point out that its not unusual for coaches to give their kid a scholarship. I think there's a Nebraska coach that has three kids on scholarship. This is the first I think ever that a UofA coach had kids the right age and with talent to give them a scholarship. You can go bang your head against a wall all you want and get angry but its just not all that out of the ordinary.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:So it’s an ASU thing? Sorry, when I said “Arizona” I meant The University of... I don’t give two shits what those idiots up in Tempe think is acceptable when it comes to nepotistic awarding of financial aid to kids who don’t need or deserve it.

You don't have to give two shits. I really don't care. I'm just trying to point out that its not unusual for coaches to give their kid a scholarship. I think there's a Nebraska coach that has three kids on scholarship. This is the first I think ever that a UofA coach had kids the right age and with talent to give them a scholarship. You can go bang your head against a wall all you want and get angry but its just not all that out of the ordinary.
You give me one example from the 70s and another from the 90s to try and convince me it’s not unusual? Two examples over 40 years?

:lol:
prh

Post by prh »

Probably should have used this scholarship on a backup center
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

prh wrote:Probably should have used this scholarship on a backup center
we have a backup center on scholarship. We need a recruiting class with all lineman. :lol: