0-2 blow off some steam vent thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

0-2 blow off some steam vent thread

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

After starting with two absolute duds to start the season, wonder how everyone else is feeling about our team and where we go from here, besides next week vs. So. Utah. Are we 100% sure we even win that one? We have SO much improvement to make on both sides of the ball it's somewhat disheartening, and Tate hasn't looked right mentally all season, just awkward body language. Wonder about the morale of the team this year.
WildcatStunner

Re: 0-2 blow off some steam vent thread

Post by WildcatStunner »

I understand that Sumlin needs to get his guys in here and what not. However, the defense looks even worse than it did last season. I imagine if things continue on the current trajectory, Yates will be gone at the end of the season. If we lose, we lose, whatever. But I would like to see us be competitive.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Punting with 5 minutes left, and giving up a TD when UH just wanted to run out the clock is a pretty good indicator of how low morale is.

Many if not most pundits had the UA as 9 win team, with a shot at 10.

Can't imagine 30,000 next week at home.

Monday I would let Yates go and let Mazzone know that he is next if things don't turn around.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Unless we go like 1-11 I won't be completely devastated since going in I knew our depth and talent was abysmal. At this point just win 5 games and move on to recruiting and 2019 and forget this year happened.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Unless we go like 1-11 I won't be completely devastated since going in I knew our depth and talent was abysmal. At this point just win 5 games and move on to recruiting and 2019 and forget this year happened.
Quick name a win outside of Southern Utah.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Oregon State gave up 77 to tOSU, that's a possible W for Arizona. UCLA is getting destroyed by OU.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

With 9 starters returning on defense, I expected much more than what we have seen. I expected some falloff offensively, but this is ridiculous. Attendance will be shit the rest of this year, and next, and so forth, until/unless this so-far-shitty coaching staff can demonstrate they can actually recruit and coach.

No to Yates, no to Mazzone. Horrendous offensive play calling.

I just hope the rest of the games are on PAC-12 network, so I won't be tempted to watch (I have DirecTV).

So, just to piss off Machina, who is going to the red/blue game?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

When you factor in we lost our last basketball game vs mighty Buffalo in extremely embarrassing fashion with the #1 NBA draft pick on our team, then the first two football games this year, UA athletics definitely not on a roll right now. It's more like we're a wagon, all the wheels have fallen off, and we're fully stuck in mud. FBI investigation still looms over basketball program and Miller.

For wins, at this point I'd say maybe Southern Utah, maybe Oregon State, and maybe UCLA.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

The team looked defeated during UH’s second drive.

When is the last time we had stong line play?

I’d like to be optomistic for the future but I hear recruiting is not going well.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

The current view on the indoor practice facility webcam is a pretty apt metaphor of the current state of the football program as a whole.

And think they can take that black box off now; for opponents scouting us, WR bubble screen and inside handoff, check. Not sure they need to scout us much further.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This fucking sucks. Yates sucks. Mazzone sucks. The team's attitude sucks. Our recruiting right now sucks (and won't get better if we don't win). Don't punt at 5:14. Don't run 4 plays out of shotgun on the 1. Don't run a 5'6 guy on 3rd down with a shit OL and the best DLineman in the nation.

That's my rant.
Last edited by btfd16 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is what you get when you don't recruit O and D linemen.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Unless we go like 1-11 I won't be completely devastated since going in I knew our depth and talent was abysmal. At this point just win 5 games and move on to recruiting and 2019 and forget this year happened.
Quick name a win outside of Southern Utah.
I still think we win at least two out of UCLA Oregon State ASU Colorado and Cal

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We made a bowl last year. Talent deficiencies don't create this disaster. We paid a lot of money for a new coaching staff that has utterly crapped the bed so far.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:This is what you get when you don't recruit O and D linemen.
Said every Arizona football fan for the last 20 years...
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We made a bowl last year. Talent deficiencies don't create this disaster. We paid a lot of money for a new coaching staff that has utterly crapped the bed so far.
Yeah 7-6 with basically the same roster. It's sad. Can't blame play calling on lack of depth.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: We made a bowl last year. Talent deficiencies don't create this disaster. We paid a lot of money for a new coaching staff that has utterly crapped the bed so far.
I understand why Springer would want the younger kicker to be his guy, since Pollack was the old coach's guy and only has this year left, but making changes is not the same as making smart decisions. Both of today's misses were not even close. Now if he reverses that decision, it will kill the young guy's confidence and we will be in worse shape than if they shared the job like last year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Arizona football is boycotting winning football.

A source of stability in these changing times.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Why cant we have cool down and yard markers like tons of other schools?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I can’t get over how much better Colorado looks than Arizona. Weren’t they predicted to finish very low in the standings? And yet they have explosive players on both sides of the ball. We don’t have one explosive player. How can the pundits be this pathetically wrong?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Watching Ken N and Navy pull out a win against preseason AAC West favorite Memphis:

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Ha. This board was flipping out with Ken.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm definitely not convinced we'd be doing better with Ken N. Still the same lack of talent and putting in a new system.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OSUCat wrote:Ha. This board was flipping out with Ken.
I liked him a lot and thought he'd have been better than Sumlin. Still do.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'm definitely not convinced we'd be doing better with Ken N. Still the same lack of talent and putting in a new system.
Can you image the offense line blocking the triple option? Ha.

But, I was fine with either coach.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Doesn't matter who the coach is it will always be Arizona football
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OSUCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I'm definitely not convinced we'd be doing better with Ken N. Still the same lack of talent and putting in a new system.

I think we'd have a significantly better chance to win without top level talent running triple option. I also think Arizona football will consistently lack top level talent. Sumlin was supposed to be the one to turn around recruiting. How is that going?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

I think we'd have a significantly better chance to win without top level talent running triple option. I also think Arizona football will consistently lack top level talent. Sumlin was supposed to be the one to turn around recruiting. How is that going?
No one knows since it's been like barely over 6 months. That question can't be answered for another year or so.

Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Also includes postgame transcript, where Sumlin tries to explain punting late in the game...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

We were never going to run full on triple option. It was going to be a spread offense with the triple option thrown in here and there to mix it up for the D. Ken is a better coach than Sumlin. We let the players fuck us out of that hire cause our leadership was weak. It's a God damn travesty and if Sumlin doesnt do which he was handpicked to do, which is drastically turn around the talent level in this program then this program is nothing, but a mere drain on the university let alone the athletic department.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Ironically maybe Tate would have been better running the tripple option, though still think Sumlin the better long term hire.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

We were actually thinking we might be 4-0 with a legitimate shot to take down the Trojans at home. I suspect we will be 1-3 and lose to USC by 40+ points now.

The defense was supposed to be better this year, not exponentially worse.

This sucks because I don't see how we are going to be competitive for at least 3 more years, if ever.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Remember when we all laughed at who ASSU hired and the trajectories of the two programs
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I wasn't really impressed with ASSU's schemes against Michigan St last night, but Edwards did inherit strong armed veteran QB Manny Wilkens, first round draft pick talent receiver N'Keal Harry, and a great kicker in Brandon Ruiz who made 3/3 field goals, including a 49 yarder and a kick at the end to win it. That's a pretty good battery.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Hate to admit it but ASSU played with passion the entire game and made the big plays when they needed to. Also, their crowd was into it the entire game (not going there with machina).

That's all I ask from our team knowing we are not as talented - we need to at least play with energy and a sense of purpose. It's like we were just going through the motions the first 2 games. That's been the biggest disappointment.

The other thing that bugs me is on defense. When I watched ASSU they looked like rabid dogs about to attack before each snap. When you check out our defense everyone looks like they are standing still complacent waiting to see what's going to happen. Our defense lacks any killer instinct at the moment.

What a disappointing 2 weeks. :oops:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I wasn't really impressed with ASSU's schemes against Michigan St last night, but Edwards did inherit strong armed veteran QB Manny Wilkens, first round draft pick talent receiver N'Keal Harry, and a great kicker in Brandon Ruiz who made 3/3 field goals, including a 49 yarder and a kick at the end to win it. That's a pretty good battery.
This doesn't make me feel better. Sumlin inherited a consensus top 5 Heisman contender, a legit RB in Taylor and a young D that just needed to be better than last year.

ASU's talent gets to play in a scheme that complements their talent. Right now, I feel like our talent is being pushed into the scheme that minimizes their ability as much as possible.

The upside of Herm Edwards is he has no system and will mold to players. We're doing the opposite.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Gimino wrote:....here Sumlin tries to explain punting late in the game....
:lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I miss RR.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I can’t get over how much better Colorado looks than Arizona. Weren’t they predicted to finish very low in the standings? And yet they have explosive players on both sides of the ball. We don’t have one explosive player. How can the pundits be this pathetically wrong?
Do you want to go cheer for Colorado for winning or do you think execution play a bigger role on how well their offense is.

On UA roster we got explosive players, Their just not put in the position to execute.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UALoco wrote:I miss RR.
I bet you don't
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

cordera89 wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I can’t get over how much better Colorado looks than Arizona. Weren’t they predicted to finish very low in the standings? And yet they have explosive players on both sides of the ball. We don’t have one explosive player. How can the pundits be this pathetically wrong?
Do you want to go cheer for Colorado for winning or do you think execution play a bigger role on how well their offense is.

On UA roster we got explosive players, Their just not put in the position to execute.
No we don’t. When Colorado’s defensive players hit Nebraska, Nebraska went down and frequently went backwards. Our tacklers bounce off players and if we are lucky they hold on and get dragged a few yards. That has nothing to do with scheme.

We have some skilled players on offense, but nobody is explosive. Tate was Superman for 6 games and hasn’t made an explosive play since. Everybody else requires a scheme to get open. That scheme was RR’s willingness to sacrifice the QB enough to make him a threat which in turn occupied more defensive players and got people open down field. Think about how many open long passes Tate completed last year. None of our players have been open this year down field. The scheme doesn’t allow it, and their lack of explosiveness and speed doesn’t create it.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Why are we always playing multiple walk-ons?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I think Tate needs to be fired from the UofA AD position because he hired the wrong coach. ;)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

cordera89 wrote:
UALoco wrote:I miss RR.
I bet you don't
I get that RR was a douchbag...I have no clue if he broke any laws but those lawsuits look really bad. Ignoring all that, I loved how the offense was able to score most of the time. Yes, the defense sucked. His sideline antics sucked. But we seemed to be "in" most games. I don't think we would be 0-2 if he was still coach. I mean, Houston totally embarrassed us and they are not even in a power5 conference. The game was much closer last year and we started Dawkins. Yes, changing coaches and schemes takes time for a team to acclimate but, dammit, I want to win now. I am not getting any younger.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

We Wildcat faithful want so desperately to win that we collectively will believe in almost anything that will feed our desperate dreams of winning over failed achievements.

Honestly you could drop Nick Saben or a dozen other high profile coaches into Tucson and they will become an also-ran just like all the other coaches before them. That is not hyperbole, it's the gods honest truth and it is difficult to fully accept.

Kevin Sumlin is about to find out that the University of Arizona football program is one of the hardest places to recruit to and win. The top tier players are never coming to play in Tucson......period. Its always been that way and after 46 years of being a hardcore fan, I know deep inside it will never change.

I know we won't go 0-12 like the Oregon State's and Kansas Jayhawk's of the past, but as mediocre as we consistently are there's still little difference in the programs.

No Stadium renovations are changing the core mojo and the Tucson dynamics for the better and neither are any coaches. Outside of a 10 year freak season here and there mixed in with tons of luck, we are Kansas, only with better weather to thump our cheat about.

At my age, I simply watch the football program with amusement more than anything else. I've long gotten over getting pissed off about a consistent shit show that I know deep down will probably always trend in that direction.

Feel free to disagree and call me a bad fan if you like, its OK. I won't get upset. I'll leave that to the younger generation that still hold close the strong desires of hopium and wishful thinking.

I don't feel sorry for Sumlin or any other coach who comes here. They all become fabulously rich and then just drift off into the sunset to coach elsewhere or retire. And the morbid shit show that is Arizona football finds another sucker to lead the mediocrity helm for another fours years.

Wash, rinse, repeat! Good luck with that, you're going to need it with your personal football investment from both the heart and the wallet.