Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I hate playing BYU.

They always smoke us
Yep, when we play them and Boise State, they're definitely ready and waiting for us.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Folks relax, it's been 1 game. Our offensive line, which was here when Sumlin arrived just a few months ago remember, is currently EXTREMELY young, undersized, and green. Is that Sumlin's fault? No. We have 0 depth or experience on the offensive line. We probably have the worst, or second worst offensive line in the conference, currently. We'll see if the coaching staff can coach them up. And our defensive line isn't much better.

If you think the solution is to just have Tate run the ball 40 times a game and go 12-1, that's not realistic. I personally liked how Sumlin admitted that yes we as a coaching staff need to do a better job with the personnel we have and they're going to do a better job. He's never coached these guys before in a game.

Personally, I could care less if we go 4-8 this year, as long as we show signs of improvement and Sumlin brings in a better recruting class than we've had, oh lets say over the past 5-100 years. For as long as I can remember, the Achilles heel of Arizona football has always been we can't get highly ranked, highly talented offensive lineman to come play here. The PAC 12 as a conference isn't exactly known as having the best offensive lines in the nation to begin with, and we haven't even placed a single player to the PAC's first team all-conference O line in over a decade.

I was also impressed that Sumlin resisted the opportunity after that disappointing loss to rip all the players he has, the program, bitching and moaning about how the cupboards were just so bare when he got here. That's happened here before, like almost every coaching change. You know Sumlin's not happy with the overall talent level in the program right now, but he bit his tongue, said we'll do better as coaches and go from there.
While I agree with most of your points I think USC churns out the best O lineman in the country consistently maybe only behind Wisconsin.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I liked the shirt Sumlin wore for the game.

Otherwise, I was entirely underwhelmed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I mean we're one game in, but that first game reminds me of Sean Miller's first year at Arizona, where he couldn't care less about winning, but rather installing his system and getting his players proficient at it for the future as opposed to playing to his players' strengths to win games. I guess we'll see what happens from this point on, but yeah could be a long year.
I had more sympathy for Miller. Nic Wise was our only upperclassman ready for a semi-starring role, and everyone else was a baby. Plus, there wasn't a system that would have led to a NCAA.

This football team has a legit shot at a bowl and a star. The forced system is killing the chance to make a bowl or use the star.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I mean we're one game in, but that first game reminds me of Sean Miller's first year at Arizona, where he couldn't care less about winning, but rather installing his system and getting his players proficient at it for the future as opposed to playing to his players' strengths to win games. I guess we'll see what happens from this point on, but yeah could be a long year.
I had more sympathy for Miller. Nic Wise was our only upperclassman ready for a semi-starring role, and everyone else was a baby. Plus, there wasn't a system that would have led to a NCAA.

This football team has a legit shot at a bowl and a star. The forced system is killing the chance to make a bowl or use the star.

Agree completely with you and Choo..........Sumlin/Mazzone are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. They need to perform a radical re-think on their offense and tailor it towards a RRod Zone Read offense which is geared towards utilizing Tate. Anything else leads to a lower probability of winning.

Does anyone know if we stand a chance of getting Congel eligible soon??? If we get Congel, add in Friekh........and let the frosh who started at LT displace the next worse lineman (either guard) and we improve 3 out of the 5 line spots. We can still turn this ship around but it will take quick decisive action.

If we come out against Houston with the same offense (up the middle on 1st, slant pass on 2nd, Bombs away on 3rd down), My worst fears regarding Sumlin will be confirmed............Mediocre game coach with a reputation as a recruiter. And the recruiter reputation sure as hell hasn't panned out yet.
Last edited by dmjcat on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Folks relax, it's been 1 game. Our offensive line, which was here when Sumlin arrived just a few months ago remember, is currently EXTREMELY young, undersized, and green. Is that Sumlin's fault? No. We have 0 depth or experience on the offensive line. We probably have the worst, or second worst offensive line in the conference, currently. We'll see if the coaching staff can coach them up. And our defensive line isn't much better.

If you think the solution is to just have Tate run the ball 40 times a game and go 12-1, that's not realistic. I personally liked how Sumlin admitted that yes we as a coaching staff need to do a better job with the personnel we have and they're going to do a better job. He's never coached these guys before in a game.

Personally, I could care less if we go 4-8 this year, as long as we show signs of improvement and Sumlin brings in a better recruting class than we've had, oh lets say over the past 5-100 years. For as long as I can remember, the Achilles heel of Arizona football has always been we can't get highly ranked, highly talented offensive lineman to come play here. The PAC 12 as a conference isn't exactly known as having the best offensive lines in the nation to begin with, and we haven't even placed a single player to the PAC's first team all-conference O line in over a decade.

I was also impressed that Sumlin resisted the opportunity after that disappointing loss to rip all the players he has, the program, bitching and moaning about how the cupboards were just so bare when he got here. That's happened here before, like almost every coaching change. You know Sumlin's not happy with the overall talent level in the program right now, but he bit his tongue, said we'll do better as coaches and go from there.

I don't think its Sumlin's style to rip players in front of the media anyway. He wasn't happy, it was obvious and I have a feeling some things will be addressed during the week. I also think you'll see Tate with more leeway or at least an understanding he has that leeway.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I'm generally not one to use the whole "other people have it worse so don't feel bad" argument, but wonder how fans at Florida State like their new head coach by now. FSU looked real bad. At this point in the season I'd say about half of all college football teams are at some level of disapproval of their 0-1 coach.

The mighty University of Texas, hotbed of all football recruiting, lost at home to perennial football doormat Maryland, a team that lost their last game 66-3 and is embroiled in a coaching scandal upon the death of a football player recently due to extreme training.

How do UCLA fans feel about Chip Kelly, lost at home to freakin' Cincinnati, a 3-7 team that lost to Temple last year. You have to try to lose to Temple. Watched that game a bit on TV, place looked like a ghost town. LA certainly not too fired up yet over the Kelly era.

Michigan fans are lining up against Harbaugh, a loser to top 10 Notre Dame, which is funny cause he'd be hired for a job opening at pretty much any other DIV I football school in about 2 seconds.

And it does appear that Sumlin is acknowledging he and his coaching staff prepared a dud of a game plan. Hope Houston a much different story.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Fire him
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

he has a serious lack of talent on his team (due to RR), but I honestly expected better from this team so it's an inauspicious start to say the least
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:he has a serious lack of talent on his team (due to RR), but I honestly expected better from this team so it's an inauspicious start to say the least
He or his coordinators are forcing a square peg into a round hole and forcing these systems down the players' throats. That's not what you do in football.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:he has a serious lack of talent on his team (due to RR), but I honestly expected better from this team so it's an inauspicious start to say the least
He or his coordinators are forcing a square peg into a round hole and forcing these systems down the players' throats. That's not what you do in football.
Yates should know what exactly he had to work with. No excuse for the defense and it’s step back this year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

His halftime speech is going to be along the lines of “Get my motherfuckin’ agent on the phone!”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:His halftime speech is going to be along the lines of “Get my motherfuckin’ agent on the phone!”
"Let me squeeze out as much money out of Arizona that I can and then become an analyst for the remainder of my career."

By the way that's exactly what is going to happen.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:His halftime speech is going to be along the lines of “Get my motherfuckin’ agent on the phone!”
"Let me squeeze out as much money out of Arizona that I can and then become an analyst for the remainder of my career."

By the way that's exactly what is going to happen.
Would have worked for Rich Rod.

It's why you don't pay college football retreads multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts. Corporate welfare, NCAA style.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I said before the season that the cupboard was so bare that we wouldn't be as good as most people thought we'd be, but the performance so far from what we do have is beyond pathetic. This is a meaningless year now anyway, but there better be massive improvement in 2019 or Sumlin is already on the hotseat for 2020.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I said before the season that the cupboard was so bare that we wouldn't be as good as most people thought we'd be, but the performance so far from what we do have is beyond pathetic. This is a meaningless year now anyway, but there better be massive improvement in 2019 or Sumlin is already on the hotseat for 2020.
I also expected us to be bad based on the talent level, but agree the performance through the first 6 quarters is worse than I could have imagined.

However, I disagree with your hotseat assessment. They'll give him 4 years at least before his seat gets hot, provided he is free from scandal.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:I said before the season that the cupboard was so bare that we wouldn't be as good as most people thought we'd be, but the performance so far from what we do have is beyond pathetic. This is a meaningless year now anyway, but there better be massive improvement in 2019 or Sumlin is already on the hotseat for 2020.
Unless there's a lot of cards Sumlin hasn't played yet in the '19 class, you better start looking at other options.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

From what the ABC sideline reporter has said, Sumlin's going to hang this whole debacle on Tate's left ankle.

Anyone with him on this? I'm not.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

catgrad97 wrote:From what the ABC sideline reporter has said, Sumlin's going to hang this whole debacle on Tate's left ankle.

Well it does impact offense play calling. It’s not like the o-line can block. But defense really can’t stop anyone from scoring. It’s been at will for the last two games.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

OSUCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:From what the ABC sideline reporter has said, Sumlin's going to hang this whole debacle on Tate's left ankle.

Well it does impact offense play calling. It’s not like the o-line can block. But defense really can’t stop anyone from scoring. It’s been at will for the last two games.
Exactly. And what is left in local sports media won't call him out on that excuse and risk access.

Which is why the program will be stuck with Yates the rest of the year. Low pressure to win football games in Tucson.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Arizona - where retreads come to get rich.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Jimbo did take Sumlin's players to the wire against Clemson and nearly won. Would be happy if Sumlin could recruit well enough here to one day be at least competitive with a Clemson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Said Childers: "That team looks lost, it looks bewildered ... they looked a hell of lot better with RichRod than they do with Kevin Sumlin."

Do anyone want to debate this?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:Said Childers: "That team looks lost, it looks bewildered ... they looked a hell of lot better with RichRod than they do with Kevin Sumlin."

Is a coach in his first year with some other guy’s players supposed to have the team look better than the previous coach who had his system in place for 5+ years did?

Must be why Michigan gave Brady Hoke that lifetime contract.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Said Childers: "That team looks lost, it looks bewildered ... they looked a hell of lot better with RichRod than they do with Kevin Sumlin."

Is a coach in his first year with some other guy’s players supposed to have the team look better than the previous coach who had his system in place for 5+ years did?

This is true, but if Sumlin's plan is truly to shove the Mazzone offense down the teams' throats until he lands the talent required to run the system efficiently, at Arizona mind you, where landing talent isnt easy, then we may be a laughingstock for at least half a decade and looking for a new coach that soon too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

This is true, but if Sumlin's plan is truly to shove the Mazzone offense down the teams' throats until he lands the talent required to run the system efficiently, at Arizona mind you, where landing talent isnt easy, then we may be a laughingstock for at least half a decade and looking for a new coach that soon too.
Bingo. This team is VERY obviously made for a different system. If you don't think they have the talent to transition to a new system, keep the old one. If Sumlin thought they had the talent to transition to this new system, he misevaluated his team badly.

Starting ground up with a new system is usually a 2-3 year process for a school that recruits really well. We are not in that situation. Making do with what you have is a necessary skill for an Arizona football coach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:

Ok, Do you want the Hard Truth or The simple Truth.

RR get fired in 2010, Brady Hoke hired in 2011, Brady Hoke hired his own staff execpt for RB coach, Brady Hoke Offensive staff kept the offense mostly indentical but few tweak . Only major problem they had was The Defense so brady hoke hired Greg Mattison , He turn the worst defense into top 10. Won 11 games & Sugar Bowl win with his player on a favorable schedule. That the simple truth.

RR get fired 2017, Sumlin hired in 2018, Sumlin hired his people except for WR coach and DC, Sumlin offensive staff First mistake of not keeping the offense identical. Another problem he having? The Defense. Second Mistake? Yates. Either he hired his own DC, Demoted Yates to a Position coach or Have two Co DC. 0-2 with RR players, might go 2-10 this season. That the Hard Truth.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So, Hoke’s still the coach, right? I haven’t checked lately.

But I do love it when you talk dirty to me Cordy. Give me more of your Hard Truth. Oh baby...
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:So, Hoke’s still the coach, right? I haven’t checked lately.

But I do love it when you talk dirty to me Cordy. Give me more of your Hard Truth. Oh baby...
is that best you can come up with or Did you not use your brain on understanding the difference in which i explain it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:

is that best you can come up with or Did you not use your brain on understanding the difference in which i explain it.
Oh yeah Cordy, give me that good Hard Truth.

But just so we’re clear, Hoke got that lifetime contract right? Was it after his first two games? Amazing....
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I'm in the camp to give him time. We sucked last year with Rich Rod. We would have sucked this year with Rich Rod. On both sides of the ball, we are undersized, lack explosive players, and have 0 depth. Our lines are about the worst in the PAC12. We're just not a good team with not a lot of good players right now. Todd Graham waaay out-recruited Rich Rod, and he got canned too. Coaches have laid stink bomb coaching performances so far, sure, bad in game coaching and bad game plans, but can't get around the fact we don't have much talent on the roster right now. We're suffering now for the sins 2-3 years ago in recruiting. I do think they can piece together some semblance of a season at some point and win a few games, but we just simply suck overall.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

But just so we’re clear, Hoke got that lifetime contract right? Was it after his first two games? Amazing....
Hard Truth, Didnt Hoke get fired at Year 4? And what did he do after that 11 wins season? oh that right 8 wins season, 7 wins season and 5 wins season. That some lifetime contract he must had.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Hard Truth, Didnt Hoke get fired at Year 4? And what did he do after that 11 wins season? oh that right 8 wins season, 7 wins season and 5 wins season. That some lifetime contract he must had.
Stop flirting with me big boy.

Also, maybe... and I’m just spitballing here.... don’t gloat after two fucking games as if your boy had some kind of magic touch that had us competing for Pac-12 championships yearly and has the roster currently full of NFL talent.

Welcome back to the board Cordy. Maybe this time you’ll give us something coherent. I’d hold my breath on that but I like life.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Also, maybe... and I’m just spitballing here.... don’t gloat after two fucking games as if your boy had some kind of magic touch that had us competing for Pac-12 championships yearly and has the roster currently full of NFL talent.

Welcome back to the board Cordy. Maybe this time you’ll give us something coherent. I’d hold my breath on that but I like life.
I'm not the one that putting false BS into everyone narrative on what they rather believe on what this team should be & what they are not. I told you thousand time. UA is not football powerhouse, UA is not an elite recruiting program that can just go out and recruit top tier talent at will. Stop trying to believe that they are. The only thing i rather care about UA football is? Them having a winning season each and every year. No matter if it 6,7,8,9,10,11 or 12 wins. No matter if we dont have the talent or we do have talent, It dont matter if we have player that are NFL ready or Not. It dont matter if our recruiting is good, decent, trash, or shitty. I never care about RR recruiting ranking each and every year. I never care about Stoop recruiting ranking either. That yawl. As long as you put a football team together no matter who the coaches is. That goal is to have a winning season. For Sumlin, he 0-2 and making this team look so fucking pathetic & probably going to have it worst season. We thru with RR on having 3-9 season. What did RR do? 3 game improvement last season and now he no longer the HC. It his team now. Not RR, He coaching the players, Not RR. This is his football program now, Not RR. So my friend. How do you want to play this. I never said i was back on this broad. I came back on my own.

If you got something better to say to me? Don't Bother my friend.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:I'm not the one that putting false BS into everyone narrative on what they rather believe on what this team should be & what they are not. I told you thousand time. UA is not football powerhouse, UA is not an elite recruiting program that can just go out and recruit top tier talent at will. Stop trying to believe that they are. The only thing i rather care about UA football is? Them having a winning season each and every year. No matter if it 6,7,8,9,10,11 or 12 wins. No matter if we dont have the talent or we do have talent, It dont matter if we have player that are NFL ready or Not. It dont matter if our recruiting is good, decent, trash, or shitty. I never care about RR recruiting ranking each and every year. I never care about Stoop recruiting ranking either. That yawl. As long as you put a football team together no matter who the coaches is. That goal is to have a winning season. For Sumlin, he 0-2 and making this team look so fucking pathetic & probably going to have it worst season. We thru with RR on having 3-9 season. What did RR do? 3 game improvement last season and now he no longer the HC. It his team now. Not RR, He coaching the players, Not RR. This is his football program now, Not RR. So my friend. How do you want to play this. I never said i was back on this broad. I came back on my own.

If you got something better to say to me? Don't Bother my friend.
Are you going to declare the Sumlin era a failure after two games?

ARE YOU THAT GUY??
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chi, The only thing i will declare for Sumlin is to Put up or get the Stepping. I wont give him a pass this season. He either fix problem of what he working with or go ahead tank the season.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

This. Anybody yearning for RichRod right now has the Arizona football fan's version of battered wife syndrome in full force.

You want to dispute that, don't direct your ESL, insult-a-post, "tough guy" attitude into my All-Fact Zone, like lawsuits, tanking bowl games and complete disinterest in recruiting don't matter. Take it up with the courts, then Dave Heeke.

Yet some posters still, somehow, float this "you took a lot of crap for your stand that turned out to be correct" narrative. WTF?!

Rich Rod was NEVER going to be the man this year, under any circumstances. And for reasons that, if not followed through on, would have been regarded as 100 percent certifiable AND legally actionable. You're not just plumbing the depths of insanity pretending that could happen, but you're living in Fantasyland. Whether he is a better coach than Sumlin is completely, 100 percent, categorically irrelevant--unless we're playing Fantasy Football with coaches now.

That this and Machina's meltdown are the only "issues" driving discussion heading into Arizona's easiest game of the year, at home, leave me without words to describe as a fan and an alum from our winningest seasons as a football program. Sorry Chi, but I find no entertainment value in those who cannot even attempt to be objective about sports, much less face up to a semblance of reality.

Yeah, you have to joke, I know. I get it that we have to laugh to get through this. But only to a point, and then you ask: This is the clown show I want to engage in?

I know this may be a strange concept to one or two of you, so I will spell it out slowly: College football coaches lie. They can, very possibly, value money more than winning. Even after they have stopped winning at other schools. ESPECIALLY then.

You want to know why Arizona football may never find its way out from the cellar it is mired in as a program right now? Even a basic sense of pride has been lost--and, if Scheer is correct about what is going on, that pride has been sold out program-wide.

We would never embarrass ourselves to even pretend to have such mindless conversations about the basketball program. Hell, throw in baseball and softball while I'm at it. We would have constructive conversations about practical options to lead those programs back in the right direction. Because SOMEBODY in the room knew WTF they were doing.

Most of us are true-blue, thick-and-thin fans when it comes to this school, and football has usually provided the greatest test of our loyalty. I think that some of us need to take a closer look at whether or not that loyalty isn't being abused.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote: You want to know why Arizona football may never find its way out from the cellar it is mired in as a program right now? Even a basic sense of pride has been lost--and, if Scheer is correct about what is going on, that pride has been sold out program-wide.
As I have zero idea what Scheer is (or isn't) speaking about lately as I'm not a member of his site, could you expand upon this point? I'm a bit confused here.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote: You want to know why Arizona football may never find its way out from the cellar it is mired in as a program right now? Even a basic sense of pride has been lost--and, if Scheer is correct about what is going on, that pride has been sold out program-wide.
As I have zero idea what Scheer is (or isn't) speaking about lately as I'm not a member of his site, could you expand upon this point? I'm a bit confused here.
https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 121736244/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:Chi, The only thing i will declare for Sumlin is to Put up or get the Stepping. I wont give him a pass this season. He either fix problem of what he working with or go ahead tank the season.
So then wouldn’t all your posts to this point be better saved for AFTER the season? Nah, you just couldn’t wait. One or two losses in and you were trying your username/password combo to see if you were still banned so you could run and tell everyone “I told you so!” like some kind of unhappy wife.
catgrad97 wrote:That this and Machina's meltdown are the only "issues" driving discussion heading into Arizona's easiest game of the year, at home, leave me without words to describe as a fan and an alum from our winningest seasons as a football program. Sorry Chi, but I find no entertainment value in those who cannot even attempt to be objective about sports, much less face up to a semblance of reality.

Yeah, you have to joke, I know. I get it that we have to laugh to get through this. But only to a point, and then you ask: This is the clown show I want to engage in?
Yeah, I’m the guy who goes to the circus to see the clowns get stuck in that stupid tiny car, the trapeze artist fall on his face, and the lion tamer mauled by a big cat. I’m a rubbernecker.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
I know this may be a strange concept to one or two of you, so I will spell it out slowly: College football coaches lie. They can, very possibly, value money more than winning. Even after they have stopped winning at other schools. ESPECIALLY then.
Stop. Making. Coaches. On. A. Downturn. Rich.

catgrad97 wrote: Most of us are true-blue, thick-and-thin fans when it comes to this school, and football has usually provided the greatest test of our loyalty. I think that some of us need to take a closer look at whether or not that loyalty isn't being abused.
2 games in to a tenure and the fanbase has already checked out. The loyalty has been abused repeatedly to make rich coaches on a downturn even richer over and over and over again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

catgrad97 wrote: Most of us are true-blue, thick-and-thin fans when it comes to this school, and football has usually provided the greatest test of our loyalty. I think that some of us need to take a closer look at whether or not that loyalty isn't being abused.
2 games in to a tenure and the fanbase has already checked out. The loyalty has been abused repeatedly to make rich coaches on a downturn even richer over and over and over again.
We gave an ascendant coach a shot. He was a total maniac and also stopped recruiting.

Maybe there’s just something about the air in Arizona that turns hungry ambitious people into lazy assholes...
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chi, Move on and let it go, I'm getting tired of repeating myself. Already told you, He no longer the coach of the football program. It Sumlin problem now, He the one that solve problem.

0-2 where it should been 2-0 at best.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

We gave an ascendant coach a shot. He was a total maniac and also stopped recruiting.

Maybe there’s just something about the air in Arizona that turns hungry ambitious people into lazy assholes...
Since the Dick Tomey era we've hired 3 retreads and 1 ascendant coach. That 1 ascendant coach had the longest tenure at Arizona among all those hires and landed by far the best players of the group as well (obviously Sumlin is TBD on both marks). Yes he was a hothead and quit recruiting when his personal life went to shit and felt helpless when the program he was coaching wasn't helping him any due to the lack of money being put towards facilities. Not all ascendant coaches will be hotheads whose life will go to shit after 8 years lol. At least we won't have to worry about a coach feeling helpless due to a lack of facilities.

Arizona Basketball is a program where you hire an experienced head coach with the best resume and money is not an issue. Arizona Football is a program where you go for cheap motivated younger coaches with high upside and hope you hit the lottery. If you don't hit the lottery then you didn't spend a lot and went bankrupt in the process, so trying over again isn't crippling.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Arizona Basketball is a program where you hire an experienced head coach with the best resume and money is not an issue. Arizona Football is a program where you go for cheap motivated younger coaches with high upside and hope you hit the lottery. If you don't hit the lottery then you didn't spend a lot and went bankrupt in the process, so trying over again isn't crippling.
That basketball model has worked out really well. Young HC from a smaller program with lots of success.

As a general rule, no more fired retread coaches. Even if it is a stepping stone in football instead of a final destination like in basketball.

I really though Sumlin was a homerun, even after breaking my own rule above.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:Chi, Move on and let it go, I'm getting tired of repeating myself. Already told you, He no longer the coach of the football program. It Sumlin problem now, He the one that solve problem.

0-2 where it should been 2-0 at best.
“Move on”
“Let it go”

Brought to you by the guy who ran back to the board he was banned from two games into the next season.
ChooChooCat wrote:Since the Dick Tomey era we've hired 3 retreads and 1 ascendant coach. That 1 ascendant coach had the longest tenure at Arizona among all those hires and landed by far the best players of the group as well (obviously Sumlin is TBD on both marks). Yes he was a hothead and quit recruiting when his personal life went to shit and felt helpless when the program he was coaching wasn't helping him any due to the lack of money being put towards facilities. Not all ascendant coaches will be hotheads whose life will go to shit after 8 years lol. At least we won't have to worry about a coach feeling helpless due to a lack of facilities.

Arizona Basketball is a program where you hire an experienced head coach with the best resume and money is not an issue. Arizona Football is a program where you go for cheap motivated younger coaches with high upside and hope you hit the lottery. If you don't hit the lottery then you didn't spend a lot and went bankrupt in the process, so trying over again isn't crippling.
I don’t disagree. Just pointing out that grabbing a hot assistant or coach at a smaller program isn’t necessarily a slam dunk.

Personally I thought Sumlin was the best possible hire. I haven’t been convinced otherwise yet.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I think its a little too early to completely give up on Sumlin and I really hope recruiting picks up.

The defense is still bad and I see very little reason to expect that it will change significantly with Yates as DC. He was supposedly handcuffed by his HC requiring him to run the defense a certain way. Too me, it looks like there have been few if any changes. He still runs a soft defense.

On offense, we have a electric athlete who doesn't want to use all of his skills because he thinks he has a future as an NFL QB. I say this because even when the play breaks down, he never tries to run anymore. The first instinct as a running QB is to run when the play breaks down. Instead, Tate just holds the ball too long and throws a low percentage bomb. The only thing that makes sense is that Tate is making a concerted effort to prove he can be a pocket passer. I doubt any HC/OC would be happy with his decision making knowing the athletic skills he possesses. I don't buy the whole "sacrificing the present for the future". Tate is not a pocket passer and it is highly unlikely that he ever will succeed in that role.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've seen the past... so I can see the future!

Sumlin will give us all hope in 2-3 years but he still won't be able to get us to the place that many think we should be at. But he will get us to a couple bowl games. Then a down year will happen and everyone will be calling for his head and in 2-3 more years he will be fired. Then the new coach we hire will somehow do about the same and the entire cycle will repeat until the end of time.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Talking about Sumlin on First Take this morning with Stephen and and Finnebaum, and whether or not he's on the hot seat. I think his seat is on Medium. We;re not a football school, but we never start 0-2