Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by PHXCATS »

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jody Oehler is a massive idiot, just like machina.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Jody Oehler is a massive idiot, just like machina.
He isn't really wrong, although I'd put facilities in for fan support. We have no history, local talent and meh facilities. Fan support is ok, and few programs have rabid support without success or history.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'd settle for a program like WSU. Some outstanding years (2 Rose Bowl appearances) around some pretty awful seasons.

But Mike Price did have a lot of success recruiting locally. Lots of good QBs come from The Palouse.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Our facilities are actually the best thing going for us currently. They are good to pretty great.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Our facilities are actually the best thing going for us currently. They are good to pretty great.
We're the only P5 team without an IPF. Please. They just don't suck as bad as they used to, but aren't above average, even for the Pac.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Our facilities are actually the best thing going for us currently. They are good to pretty great.
We're the only P5 team without an IPF. Please. They just don't suck as bad as they used to, but aren't above average, even for the Pac.
The football facility is pretty darn nice if you've actually seen it. And we'll have an indoor facility within a few months. Our facilities are top quarter in the country.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bunch if empty seats at Michigan for their kick-off today. Wonder if machina will be upset.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Bunch if empty seats at Michigan for their kick-off today. Wonder if machina will be upset.
How much do I owe you for all the space I own in your head? Goes for your brother also
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Bunch if empty seats at Michigan for their kick-off today. Wonder if machina will be upset.
How much do I owe you for all the space I own in your head? Goes for your brother also
We obviously are all you think about though since you always respond. You bring it on yourself y'know. Be less of an insufferable idiot and it won't happen.

prh

Post by prh »

Pac-12 just aired a commercial with the league's coaches saying the games are too long and there's not enough time for football in the day, so go watch P12 Football in 60.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

prh wrote:Pac-12 just aired a commercial with the league's coaches saying the games are too long and there's not enough time for football in the day, so go watch P12 Football in 60.
I saw that :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The game today was right at 3 hours. Same as an average NBA OT game and leas than the average MLB game and NFL game
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:The game today was right at 3 hours. Same as an average NBA OT game and leas than the average MLB game and NFL game
NCAA football is not the same sport as those, just fyi.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The game today was right at 3 hours. Same as an average NBA OT game and leas than the average MLB game and NFL game
NCAA football is not the same sport as those, just fyi.
You dont say genius
prh

Post by prh »

Pac12 commercial says games are 4 hours. So a 3 hour game is exceptionally short. And that's being compared to an overtime NBA game which occurs 7% of the time? :lol:
cats101

Post by cats101 »

They just released the seats in the ZZ for the asu game. Plenty of tickets to go around.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It honestly looked more full than that on tv

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:It honestly looked more full than that on tv
Certainly not in the 4th quarter. It looked barren.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

It looked about only 4 to 3 thousand empty seats last night when i was there and that was mostly on the uper west side. I was surprised how many people showed up honestly. All the other sides looked 95% full.
Mike Luke's burner account.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

KillerKlown wrote:It looked about only 4 to 3 thousand empty seats last night when i was there and that was mostly on the uper west side. I was surprised how many people showed up honestly. All the other sides looked 95% full.
I agree. I bought tickets for 2 family members and I. I told myself that the byu game was it. But I'm truly done. No way I spend another one of my hard earned money on a product that just sucks. I love UofA till the end but I can watch from home. Period
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

I was kind of sad that i let my season tix go, but i have limited money and i'm ok with that decision as long as at the very least, Yates is still on staff.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I understand the sentiment and sometimes think I’d be just as happy at home watching the game. But you guys are being overreactive drama queens. The product doesn’t suck. Fans of OSU have every right to say that, we don’t. Obviously the situation is less than optimal right now, but we should have been in overtime against USC were it not for crapping the bed with the FG kicker. To state the obvious, programs can only be doing one of three things: getting better, getting worse, or treading water. I guess the question remains at this point which direction we are going. Thankfully we as fans don’t have to make any real decisions about the program beyond whether to show up on Saturday nights.
prh

Post by prh »

USC was up 24-7 and had the ball heading into the 4th quarter. I'm not sure what time the 4th started but I'd guess somewhere between 10-10:30. I think it's a pretty tough sell to come to a game that isn't enjoyable until after 10
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Well timing the scoring sequence for the convenience of the customers is a tough pull. On the other hand, I remember attending day games in September when I was an undergrad. I suspect that might kill half the geriatric population around me, so I’m not too jazzed about having day games for at least another month. But we have zero control over any of this as a program. And again, I’m not criticizing people who don’t show up for games. I just think people should be more even-handed about the state of the program and why they really aren’t showing for the games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We’ve largely sucked since Penn St.

THATS the tradition your selling. For the majority of the fan base the desert storm era is a fun historical fact that most don’t have a connection to.

Jumping into flame suit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:We’ve largely sucked since Penn St.

THATS the tradition your selling. For the majority of the fan base the desert storm era is a fun historical fact that most don’t have a connection to.

Jumping into flame suit.
Yeah. We've won more than 7 games 5 times in the last 19 seasons.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fair weather
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nah....sick of spending time and money for games/travel to Tucson and another psc12 schools for a largely unenjoyabke experience.

Got better things to do with my time and money.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also somethings changed in me...knowing what we know about CTE, i can’t “celebrate” the big hit anymore. I see them play out during a game and I just cringe now. It won’t change anything but I can’t support a game that ruins young men’s brains.

I saw a big hit on JJ Taylor in the backfield around the 2nd quarter and his head went down my my first thought was to his health and safety. That’s new for me and been a constant all season. And now that I feel that way is challenges me as to what to do about it.

Getting very difficult for me to support this form of entertainment.
prh

Post by prh »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Well timing the scoring sequence for the convenience of the customers is a tough pull. On the other hand, I remember attending day games in September when I was an undergrad. I suspect that might kill half the geriatric population around me, so I’m not too jazzed about having day games for at least another month. But we have zero control over any of this as a program. And again, I’m not criticizing people who don’t show up for games. I just think people should be more even-handed about the state of the program and why they really aren’t showing for the games.
I'm really just saying that USC was not a great product for 3/4 of it and it's hard to blame people leaving early.
Last edited by prh on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CalStateTempe wrote:Also somethings changed in me...knowing what we know about CTE, i can’t “celebrate” the big hit anymore. I see them play out during a game and I just cringe now. It won’t change anything but I can’t support a game that ruins young men’s brains.

I saw a big hit on JJ Taylor in the backfield around the 2nd quarter and his head went down my my first thought was to his health and safety. That’s new for me and been a constant all season. And now that I feel that way is challenges me as to what to do about it.

I don't get this perception that head injures have long term effects on people is a new revelation. I was taught from my youth that head injuries have long term effects. To me it seems a lot like the whole smoking is bad revelation where people seemed to need extensive studies to know filling your lungs with carcinogens repeatedly is bad for you. I get the not supporting football because of the damage it does, but it is not some new thing that repeatedly knocking yourself out is not good for you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Also somethings changed in me...knowing what we know about CTE, i can’t “celebrate” the big hit anymore. I see them play out during a game and I just cringe now. It won’t change anything but I can’t support a game that ruins young men’s brains.

I don't get this perception that head injures have long term effects on people is a new revelation. I was taught from my youth that head injuries have long term effects. To me it seems a lot like the whole smoking is bad revelation where people seemed to need extensive studies to know filling your lungs with carcinogens repeatedly is bad for you. I get the not supporting football because of the damage it does, but it is not some new thing that repeatedly knocking yourself out is not good for you.

Old time boxing fans can certainly agree with that. Being "punch drunk" can never be good.

Jerry Quarry was extremely popular when he was a boxer in the early 1970s but even then you could tell he wasn't right.

Looking him up, after he died prematurely they did a CAT scan on his brain and found extreme atrophy in 1983.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We can close this thread down. I created it in 2014 when we were 7-2 and on our way to winning the Pac12 South, in pretty spectacular fashion. I doubt we'll ever be good at football, and even if we are, football won't be relevant.

That said, our women's soccer and women's v-ball teams are pretty damn good.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There is a smell eminating from our program. Not sure what it is buy there is something wrong
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:There is a smell eminating from our program. Not sure what it is buy there is something wrong
Tate's awful attitude?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:There is a smell eminating from our program. Not sure what it is buy there is something wrong
Tate's awful attitude?
Definitely part of it but there is more to it than that. Sumlin does not come across as a guy who is on a mission.he comes across as a guy who has 10m in the bank and another chunk locked into him long term.

The malaise seems to be from the top down and the fans I talk to have noticed it. Many have said if they don't care, why should I.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Definitely part of it but there is more to it than that. Sumlin does not come across as a guy who is on a mission.he comes across as a guy who has 10m in the bank and another chunk locked into him long term.

The malaise seems to be from the top down and the fans I talk to have noticed it. Many have said if they don't care, why should I.
Along with the perceived attitude that the patients are running the asylum.

Tate's distaste for Niumatalolo is well known, along with Tate seemingly faking injuries just so he doesn't have to run the ball.

The players also wanted Yates for head coach, leading many to think the Sumlin kept him just to being popular with the players, since he is a terrible DC.

I really like Sumlin, and hope he turns it around, but he really needs to start asserting control.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote: Definitely part of it but there is more to it than that. Sumlin does not come across as a guy who is on a mission.he comes across as a guy who has 10m in the bank and another chunk locked into him long term.

Tate's distaste for Niumatalolo is well known, along with Tate seemingly faking injuries just so he doesn't have to run the ball.

The players also wanted Yates for head coach, leading many to think the Sumlin kept him just to being popular with the players, since he is a terrible DC.

I really like Sumlin, and hope he turns it around, but he really needs to start asserting control.
Agreed Merk. Just a weird situation and fans are taking notice and giving AZ football a pass
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

prh wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Well timing the scoring sequence for the convenience of the customers is a tough pull. On the other hand, I remember attending day games in September when I was an undergrad. I suspect that might kill half the geriatric population around me, so I’m not too jazzed about having day games for at least another month. But we have zero control over any of this as a program. And again, I’m not criticizing people who don’t show up for games. I just think people should be more even-handed about the state of the program and why they really aren’t showing for the games.
I'm really just saying that USC was not a great product for 3/4 of it and it's hard to blame people leaving early.
I don’t blame anybody for leaving early. It’s a late night for older people, and students obviously have their partying to get to.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Agreed Merk. Just a weird situation and fans are taking notice and giving AZ football a pass
Jesus. And the worst part is that everyone with direct influence over the program thinks they have time to just dodder around--in a sport bleeding fans, in a conference historically weak in said sport.

Meanwhile, up north, Steve Wilks is almost a Sumlin doppelganger, bombing out for the Cardinals. But the difference is, he has local media homering their behinds off for the franchise and one of the strongest home fanbases in the league as a result.

Mark my words: If Khalil Tate is allowed continued dictation of the Arizona football program, that will be its funeral. No further comebacks. The die-hards and the boosters won't be further used, and Sumlin can't point to a RichRod-level bowl anytime in the next two seasons as "progress" while recruiting dies on the vine.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Tate faking injuries? I've seen some absolutely ridiculous takes on this board, but this might be the single stupidest thing ever put here. You guys have lost your minds.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Then appease us absolutely ridiculous ass fans and sit his ass down if he's injured and let him heal.

Me personally I'm not interested in watching our QB gimp around on the field every week and throw nothing but 50 yard bombs that have zero impact and a 20% hit rating.

One second the guy looks perfectly fine and then on another play Tate acts like he needs a wheel chair just to get back to the huddle. Which is it?

People that are pretty damn close to the program are insisting that Tate is not injured to the extent that he is letting on. Most of the time I watch his body language Tate looks like he's completely disinterested with not the slightest interest in being in a game atmosphere.

To finish this bitch session, I don't even blame Khalil Tate and I'm being serious. This is 100% on the coaching staff. Period end of story.

Sometimes Sumlin looks as disinterested as Tate does.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Then appease us absolutely ridiculous ass fans and sit his ass down if he's injured and let him heal.

Me personally I'm not interested in watching our QB gimp around on the field every week and throw nothing but 50 yard bombs that have zero impact and a 20% hit rating.

One second the guy looks perfectly fine and then on another play Tate acts like he needs a wheel chair just to get back to the huddle. Which is it?

People that are pretty damn close to the program are insisting that Tate is not injured to the extent that he is letting on. Most of the time I watch his body language Tate looks like he's completely disinterested with not the slightest interest in being in a game atmosphere.

To finish this bitch session, I don't even blame Khalil Tate and I'm being serious. This is 100% on the coaching staff. Period end of story.

Sometimes Sumlin looks as disinterested as Tate does.
You're exaggerating. But if he is hurt he does need to take a seat.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Carcassdragger wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Tate faking injuries? I've seen some absolutely ridiculous takes on this board, but this might be the single stupidest thing ever put here. You guys have lost your minds.
Nobody has lost their mind. That's literally what is happening. You're free to believe whatever you want though.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There is the faintest whiff of hysteria in this thread. I would sit Tate because he isn’t performing. End of story. These rope-a-dope antics aren’t new. He was doing the Jim Brown thing last year, too. And he did it during the big 5 game Heisman run . . . but nobody seemed to mind much then. As far as Sumlin’s demeanor, many hated Stoops’ fiery demeanor {raises hand}, and eventually people realized RR wasn’t far from Stoops’ volcanic level. Now we aren’t happy because Sumlin is too sanguine and not feisty enough? Let’s hire the next coach based on sideline videotape! :lol: :roll:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sumlin us a great coach. Home run hire. Tate needs to get his ego in check and just play ball the college way. And our fans need to step it up. No more fair weather shit
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

The weather has rarely been fair for UA fb.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:There is the faintest whiff of hysteria in this thread. I would sit Tate because he isn’t performing. End of story. These rope-a-dope antics aren’t new. He was doing the Jim Brown thing last year, too. And he did it during the big 5 game Heisman run . . . but nobody seemed to mind much then. As far as Sumlin’s demeanor, many hated Stoops’ fiery demeanor {raises hand}, and eventually people realized RR wasn’t far from Stoops’ volcanic level. Now we aren’t happy because Sumlin is too sanguine and not feisty enough? Let’s hire the next coach based on sideline videotape! :lol: :roll:

BJBJ, that's not it for me. I loved Stoops sideline behavior because in my small mind it showed me he wanted to win and bad. Too me he was fully invested.

I am not looking for that behavior as a sign but I have not yet seen or read anything from Sumlin where he hints at a plan for the future. He kind of just gives the typical coach speak of fixing things, yet we keep doing the same thing.

I guess keeping Tate out there gives us the best shot at a win but I think that act is starting to wear thin on everyone but Sumlin.
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.