4 Rhett Rodriguez

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: 4 Rhett Rodriguez

Post by prh »

whatisee wrote:
prh wrote:Probably should have used this scholarship on a backup center
we have a backup center on scholarship. We need a recruiting class with all lineman. :lol:
Agreed on lineman. Who's the kid on scholarship? McCauley is a walk-on
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

prh wrote:
whatisee wrote:
prh wrote:Probably should have used this scholarship on a backup center
we have a backup center on scholarship. We need a recruiting class with all lineman. :lol:
Agreed on lineman. Who's the kid on scholarship? McCauley is a walk-on
Bailey had/has been running at the 2
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Put Rhett's brain into Khalil's body and you got a bonafide starter, but alas...
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

ChooChooCat wrote:Put Rhett's brain into Khalil's body and you got a bonafide starter, but alas...
I think at this point we need to go with Rhett's brain. I imagine he will use it to play to his own strengths.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

blackjacker wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Put Rhett's brain into Khalil's body and you got a bonafide starter, but alas...
I think at this point we need to go with Rhett's brain. I imagine he will use it to play to his own strengths.
I don't disagree at this point, but the fact that Arizona has to trot out a FCS level talent as its starter says it all for where this program is at today.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That pretty much describes Denker too! Although BJ had a great set of wheels, just a noodle arm, with a great football brain. Probably sees a lot of himself in Rhett.

Of course BJ had Ka'deem MFing Carey behind him
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'm ok with starting Rhett and has sadly been the best QB to play this year. He clearly lacks the physical tools to play at the D1 level but at least he knows how to play the position.

The only question I have is, why don't we throw Doyle out there? At least he has D1 talent or so it seems. This isn't to hate on Rhett, it is just kind of a baffling situation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:That pretty much describes Denker too! Although BJ had a great set of wheels, just a noodle arm, with a great football brain. Probably sees a lot of himself in Rhett.

Of course BJ had Ka'deem MFing Carey behind him
BJ also to his credit had one above average athletic quality, which was his legs. Rhett has no athletic quality that is above average and he doesn't have many that are average either.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At this point since we gave up running with Tate already...Rhett is a better qb to put out there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

ASUHATER! wrote:At this point since we gave up running with Tate already...Rhett is a better qb to put out there.
This^
Since he has been around offensive football all his life, he may bring more to the table than anyone else we have.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If Rhett is the best QB the Cats have, even with his physical limitations, I guess he wasn't a waste of a scholarship after all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wonder why we haven't seen Doyle.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Based solely on what we've seen of on-field in-game performance, how can Rhett not be the starter going forward?

Tate is too injured to play.
Joyner as a true freshman appears far from ready for the field.
Rhett may not wow you with his physical abilities but he showed plenty of grit/heart/whatever you want to call it in last nights game where he took a couple hits, got up, and kept going.

Combine the above with our offensive scheme and I don't see how Rhett isn't the guy who starts at UCLA
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Woodcat

Post by Woodcat »

Freshmen can play up to 4 games without burning their redshirt. I think Joyner in nearing that limit. I think we see Doyle a couple of times before the season ends.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I can't remember the last time we had a QB who could actually throw it away. Foles probably? The line was horrid, but Rhett was super heads up about when he was about to take a loss. Khalil doesn't do that, Brandon didn't, Anu sure as hell didn't (see: Fiesta Bowl -_-), can't remember about BJ or Matt.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Heads are not exploding. The start we’ve had this year can do it. I think we can beat UCLA with Rhett
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really hope he shines after all he has been through and sticking with the team even though the general fan consensus was that he did not deserve or need a scholarship.

I am done with the Tate experiment, and need someone to hold down the fort until Gunnell comes in next season and Sumlin/Mazzone can use their own players that fit their scheme.

RichRod hinted about taking RhettRod with him if he does get a coaching spot, but if not, Rhett can be a solid backup who won't lose the game for you.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:I really hope he shines after all he has been through and sticking with the team even though the general fan consensus was that he did not deserve or need a scholarship.

I am done with the Tate experiment, and need someone to hold down the fort until Gunnell comes in next season and Sumlin/Mazzone can use their own players that fit their scheme.

RichRod hinted about taking RhettRod with him if he does get a coaching spot, but if not, Rhett can be a solid backup who won't lose the game for you.
This. Looking forward to seeing what Gunnell can bring to table next season. Sounds like a divided locker room at the moment, never a good thing. Perhaps, Rhett will give us a spark that unites this team? Beats the Hell out of watching a hobbled Tate and the consecutive 3 & outs.

Let’s go Rhett!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously, bear down Rhett! Pulling for you.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Number one goal for the season, beat ASU. Makes sense to play Rhett now. If Doyle is our best QB, don't play him until Oregon so we can redshirt him. Then he'll have 3 warm up games to get-up-to speed. Also, Tate needs time to heal up. I believe a healthy tate could beat ASU. All I am pulling for is beating ASU. I don't know how our recruiting is gonna get any better with our crappy showing this year. I mean, if Sumlin/Mazonne can break Tate, they can break anybody. :|

Oh, I remember everyone giving RR crap about not developing players, what do we think about this coaching staff's ability to develop players? They can't even develop Tisdale..what is up with that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Very happy to see that he’s worked hard and earned the scholarship I gave his father so much shit for giving him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The season has been dead for awhile now unofficially, but going with Rhett as your guy is 100% putting your season and future into the morgue officially.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I'm happy the kid is living a life long dream, but that's where the dream ends.

Rhett belongs at a school like NAU, and could possibly win a few games at a small school like that. With him at the QB helm of the UofA offense, we aren't beating anyone left on our schedule and the games won't be close.

This is about as bad a situation as a coach could ever expect to be in.

Oh and Sumlin is about to find out the JUCO nightmare that has affected every other UofA coach that came before him. Big up hill battle.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I'm happy the kid is living a life long dream, but that's where the dream ends.

Rhett belongs at a school like NAU, and could possibly win a few games at a small school like that. With him at the QB helm of the UofA offense, we aren't beating anyone left on our schedule and the games won't be close.

This is about as bad a situation as a coach could ever expect to be in.

Oh and Sumlin is about to find out the JUCO nightmare that has affected every other UofA coach that came before him. Big up hill battle.
While I agree that Rhett does not have FBS talent, I don't think playing him makes us any worse than we have been. Based on what we have seen so far this year, I can't say Tate playing would give us a better chance to win any games. I would argue that Doyle should get a chance, but lets not act like Rhett is any worse than the other options that have been put out at QB so far this year.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Seems like a good kid so I'm pulling for him.

It is what it is...don't see any better options to give us a "chance" to win on Saturday so don't see a problem starting him. The results will determine if we give our younger QB's some experience for the rest of the year.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I'm not disrespecting Rhett Rod or his contributions. He's playing because his coach said get in there. Fine, live the dream while you can but the team is not winning with this skill set.

My point is the QB situation is so abysmal at the UofA it's almost unreal that 5 players could have been recruited to play QB at Arizona and at this point there's probably not one of them, excluding Kevin Doyle that would ever sniff of a D-1 scholarship, of course except at Arizona.

The Tate QB experiment is dead, he's not a QB at this level. Joiner and Lane shouldn't even be classified as QB's or playing the position. Rhett should be a D-II or NAU type talent and not on this roster.

Doyle is the only player that even on a good day resembles an Sumlin pro style talent that is built for Mazzone/Sumlin offensive package and who by all accounts can really sling the ball.

All the rest are just hand the ball off to the RB's type figures heads.

Stop freaking around and get Doyle some experience this year as he will be the primary pro set player that will be competing against Gunnel coming in next year even as a true freshman.

Rhett rod is not the future and has never been. Get Doyle in there and get him reps NOW. 3 wins is all your getting this year, all the rest of the BS is just noise.

This will be the Gunnel and Doyle show next year if I had to guess. It's time to look ahead to the next generation of Arizona QB's.
Last edited by Gladiator Cat on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought I read Doyle is getting more reps in practice, and will probably get in the game a bit.

Seems they are saving his redshirt, so can only play in 4 games.

Joyner has played in 2, so has 2 more if they want to save his redshirt.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Merkin, yes all of that is true. The coaches most certainly are trying to keep Doyle within that 4 game window to save his redshirt.

When he's with in that window, he should be the man for better or worse because the rest of the so called QB's are just figure heads for consecutive week in and week out beat-downs on our remaining schedule.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

IMO, saving the redshirt year only makes sense if there is clearly someone better in front of them. This isn't the case at QB. Play the best player. Looking like a pathetic football team and losing to save a year of eligibility doesn't help the program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I doubt Doyle ever plays. I heard he may transfer. Maybe Choo could chime in or anyone else in the know
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

DrWildcat wrote:IMO, saving the redshirt year only makes sense if there is clearly someone better in front of them. This isn't the case at QB. Play the best player. Looking like a pathetic football team and losing to save a year of eligibility doesn't help the program.
No way we ought to burn his redshirt for one game.

After UCLA we can play him and not lose the RS.

Anyway the rest of the teams sucks to the point that a QB can't save this year.

Rhett is the man.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

azcat49 wrote:I doubt Doyle ever plays. I heard he may transfer. Maybe Choo could chime in or anyone else in the know

That is hilarious.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tatanka wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I doubt Doyle ever plays. I heard he may transfer. Maybe Choo could chime in or anyone else in the know

That is hilarious.
Come on chief, give us more than that. I heard he is a pretty cocky dude and disrupting the QB room. If you have something spill
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

azcat49 wrote:
Tatanka wrote:

That is hilarious.
Come on chief, give us more than that. I heard he is a pretty cocky dude and disrupting the QB room. If you have something spill

I can’t speak for Chief but I believe you might have Tate and Doyle mixed up.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Tatanka wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Tatanka wrote:

That is hilarious.

Lol. The entire locker room is a cluster fuck right now. Stability at one of the most important positions might change all that. Again........

Let’s go Rhett!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Why is it every time a season is not going so well in football or basketball there always seems to be an "insider" (like chief) that says there is "disruption" in the locker room?
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm a little excited to see what the kid can do after getting all the reps during the week and game planned for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tatanka wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Tatanka wrote:

That is hilarious.

Can you let Chief, and any other posters you may chat with, know that having a sock is a bannable offense? Thanks in advance homie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
Can you let Chief, and any other posters you may chat with, know that having a sock is a bannable offense? Thanks in advance homie.
seems like it might be banning time then:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4291&p=337228#p337315" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Tatanka wrote: I’m native but not a chief. I’m just a part of the tribe. I’m a Arizona fan through and through and I hope what you’re saying is true.
What's real interesting about this poster....other than his posting style which already mirrors a certain someone....and other than his name being in the same vein as a certain someone....is this:

OTHER USERS POSTING FROM THIS IP
chiefzona
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

First start for a sophomore and we almost pulled it off. Good job Rhett.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure given his talent level that a kid could play better in his first start. I can easily root for this kid.

Give him the keys for the rest of the year
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

He doesn't have a cannon arm, but he won't be the factor that loses the game for you.
Dumlin needs to come up with some miracle 4th down plays rather than to ever put a game in Yates hands again.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Next week will be a test on a different level.

I'm very interested to see how he performs