2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by UAEebs86 »

btfd16 wrote: This is cool

I would love to donate my tickets to a military member, but I'm not going to buy more tickets.

Anyone know a good way to donate tickets you already have? (I bought into the hype and got season tickets this year).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

UAEebs86 wrote:
btfd16 wrote: This is cool

I would love to donate my tickets to a military member, but I'm not going to buy more tickets.

Anyone know a good way to donate tickets you already have? (I bought into the hype and got season tickets this year).
Maybe ask the athletic department if you can have yours sent into the ticket pool they're getting from this promotion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I heard some info about how the coaches made some decisions early and that certain key players took this as the coaches putting winning behind their agenda.

I wonder if this is Tate saying if you don't care about winning, maybe he won't either. I heard the players were pissed and I can't imagine Tate letting his teammates down but his unwillingness to use his feet for the betterment of the team is perplexing
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

In this weird season of ours, it felt like our team finally starting getting it around midway through the first half at UCLA. We outplayed/out worked UCLA most of the game last week and probably deserved a W, and it was also the first week Sumlin really looked engaged on the sidelines. Carried over tonight, we definitely outplayed them. Helped that first half Oregon abandoned the run and passing plays to the middle of the field, our two biggest weaknesses on D...it was like Herbert was trying to put together a draft package of throws to outside receivers on third down. Winning 2 out of our last 3 not out of the question if can play something like this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Winning 2 out of our last 3 not out of the question if can play something like this.
Beat Colorado and ASU, and be bowl eligible!

Not that I care about a crappy bowl, just beat ASU!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Only three games left?

Season went by fast.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Last night was a great win, but I am still not sold on this coaching staff. I don't want Tate as only a passing QB. He doesn't need to do what he did last October. If he would run for 5 -10 1st downs a game to keep some drives alive and keep defenses off balance, he would be aces in my book and our offense would be smoking.

If there's more than an injured ankle preventing him from trying to do that, I want the person responsible fired, whether it's Mazzone, Sumlin or Tate himself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

blackjacker wrote:Last night was a great win, but I am still not sold on this coaching staff. I don't want Tate as only a passing QB. He doesn't need to do what he did last October. If he would run for 5 -10 1st downs a game to keep some drives alive and keep defenses off balance, he would be aces in my book and our offense would be smoking.

If there's more than an injured ankle preventing him from trying to do that, I want the person responsible fired, whether it's Mazzone, Sumlin or Tate himself.
Tate is a pretty poor passing QB. Very strong arm, but no touch, and seems to pass to guys that are covered.

RhettRod is a better decision maker, but has a very weak arm and seems every pass over 20 yards could/should be intercepted.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Tate wasn’t great last night. Overthrows for interceptions and underthrows of wide open long bombs. But Herbert who is supposed to be a top draft pick was abysmally bad. If he was passing accurately it would have been a 42-38 kind of game.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Merkin wrote:
Tate is a pretty poor passing QB. Very strong arm, but no touch, and seems to pass to guys that are covered.

RhettRod is a better decision maker, but has a very weak arm and seems every pass over 20 yards could/should be intercepted.
Out of those choices, Ill take the decision maker any day, but if Tate would give us 50-100 rushing yards a game, his strong arm would find some more open receivers and the running backs would find some more holes.

I'll take that over Rhett.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Has anyone figure out what the information was that had the Oregon point spread dropping from 10 to 7 last week? I'm really curious to figure out what the pro gamblers knew that we didn't. I enjoyed the hell out of the win, but I sure wouldn't have put money on it.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ANGCatFan wrote:Has anyone figure out what the information was that had the Oregon point spread dropping from 10 to 7 last week? I'm really curious to figure out what the pro gamblers knew that we didn't. I enjoyed the hell out of the win, but I sure wouldn't have put money on it.

The Bear on Gameday picked UA and gave a bunch of stats and reasons. Other than that I dont think there is any public info other than Tate playing that came later on Saturday
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Anything on Brightwell's injury?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

whatisee wrote:Anything on Brightwell's injury?
Also what I'm curious in finding out. I like Brightwell a lot and think the combo of him and JJ is great.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This bye week is coming at a good time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Our game vs ASU is going to be a winner go bowling loser is done game isn't it?

Seems like old times....
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Our game vs ASU is going to be a winner go bowling loser is done game isn't it?

Seems like old times....
If you compare average win/loss records over the last 40 years it's pretty much always the case where each team is at 5-6 wins
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Our game vs ASU is going to be a winner go bowling loser is done game isn't it?

Seems like old times....
If you compare average win/loss records over the last 40 years it's pretty much always the case where each team is at 5-6 wins
Oh I know... that's why I always laugh when people want this or that coach fired... it doesn't matter.... Arizona football is Arizona football

We will always lose to a team we should beat (coach needs to get fired)
We will always beat a team we should lose to (coach is amazing)

And at the end we will be fighting for a shitty bowl game
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Nate Tillford sighting last night. Hopefully some more of that inside the 10 yrd line.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

Seems like old times....
Oh I know... that's why I always laugh when people want this or that coach fired... it doesn't matter.... Arizona football is Arizona football

We will always lose to a team we should beat (coach needs to get fired)
We will always beat a team we should lose to (coach is amazing)

And at the end we will be fighting for a shitty bowl game
At least we're consistent!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee wrote:Nate Tillford sighting last night. Hopefully some more of that inside the 10 yrd line.
Not if both JJ and Brightwell are healthy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice to see an uptick in our recent play. Oh the what is of an AZ football season.

What if JJ Taylor doesn't get the ball punched out and he scores against UCLA

What if we had found a way to beat USC and we could be in control of the south.

Just never seems to work out like that for us. We have to take joy from the thought we might get a bowl with a win over our rival.

Still I must say it has been fun to watch our progression on both sides of the ball and even our special teams in the last few weeks.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Nice to see an uptick in our recent play. Oh the what is of an AZ football season.

What if JJ Taylor doesn't get the ball punched out and he scores against UCLA

What if we had found a way to beat USC and we could be in control of the south.

Just never seems to work out like that for us. We have to take joy from the thought we might get a bowl with a win over our rival.

Still I must say it has been fun to watch our progression on both sides of the ball and even our special teams in the last few weeks.
That's the difference between us and the top programs. We have those fumbles against UCLA and bad first halves against USC.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed. If one play epitomizes the history of AZ football it was JJ Taylor's run against UCLA. He had a TD in the bag only to have the ball punched from his arms at the 1 yard line.

As a fan you were so happy as you thought he was going to score only to be chased down. Even then you thought we would have it at the goal line but no, the worst thing in the world couldn't happen but of course it did
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I know everybody assumes we lose to WSU but I think the game will be more competitive than most people think.

Not saying we will win but we have a bye this week so we can heal some wounds and give the coaching staff more time to prepare for the Pirate.

Hopefully, Wassu totally overlooks us.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

On paper it looks like a 5-6 Arizona vs a 5-6 ASU for a bowl game.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just beat ASU. I don't care about any crappy bowl game where they are big money losers for the conference.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I'd rather lose to wsu, beat ASU, then lose in the Cheez-it bowl than beat ranked wsu, lose to ASU and play in a bowl
3rdand25

AZ could be tied for 1st in the south?

Post by 3rdand25 »

Is there any way they could end up in the pac-12 championship game? Win that, and I don't think it's the Cheez-it bowl.. But I would agree, ASU is the priority right now, but if the cats can trip up WSU all the better
azgreg

Re: AZ could be tied for 1st in the south?

Post by azgreg »

3rdand25 wrote:Is there any way they could end up in the pac-12 championship game? Win that, and I don't think it's the Cheez-it bowl.. But I would agree, ASU is the priority right now, but if the cats can trip up WSU all the better
Current standings and remaining games:

Utah 4-2 @ ASU, vs Oregon, @ Colorado
Arizona 4-3 @ WSU, vs ASU
USC 3-3 @ OSU, vs Cal, @ UCLA
UCLA 2-3 @ Oregon, @ ASU, vs USC, vs Stanford
ASU 2-3 vs Utah, vs UCLA, @ Oregon, @ Arizona
Colorado 2-4 vs WSU, vs UTAH, @ Cal
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azgreg wrote:
3rdand25 wrote:Is there any way they could end up in the pac-12 championship game? Win that, and I don't think it's the Cheez-it bowl.. But I would agree, ASU is the priority right now, but if the cats can trip up WSU all the better

Win out.
Utah lose 2of3.
USC lose 1of3.
UCLA lose 1of4.
?
Mike Luke's burner account.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Its a good time for the bye. By the time the Cats play Wazzu, most of the other teams will have 2 games left, and we'll know what's possible.

I am hoping for a Utah november swoon. I trust the devils will start the nosedive today. Could this be like 2014 where the Duel in the Desert decides it?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

KillerKlown wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Win out.
Utah lose 2of3.
USC lose 1of3.
UCLA lose 1of4.
?
Yeah we win out, have USC lose to UCLA and UCLA lose to Oregon. Utah lose to like ASU and Oregon or something..and we're 7-5 in the title game.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Our team started in August like that indoor practice facility, not even off the ground, a patch of dust and dirt. As that's been built this fall, so has the team with the feel that something is being built up. There's at the least tangible improvement on most fronts including coaching and recruiting. We still have some extreme weaknesses. Game planning against our defense still isn't too hard if teams are paying attention. We're doing better in general at disguising them/working around them/moving on from the breakdowns. A lot of the younger players are playing smarter.

The receivers have stepped up their games. They caught some incredible passes last night. Some of those catches the guy wasn't even open. And we've made a string of field goals, an Arizona oddity. Feels like for that we're building up some horribly timed kicking torture down the road lol. Given that at various points it looked like this year was heading straight to the 2-8 wasteland of forgotten seasons, being 5-5 with a chance at a bowl game has been a small miracle salvage job of a season. Beating ASU will be a big part of completing the comeback.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The South just got a whole lot more interesting. USC has the easiest path to the title game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:The South just got a whole lot more interesting. USC has the easiest path to the title game.
Actually ASU does. All they have to do is go 3-0. Don't need any help from other conference teams. USC needs to win their last 3 conference games and have Utah and ASU each lose a game.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Most direct path is not the same as easiest.

All of this is why I’ve been advocating for people to chill a little bit. I know it’s a message board, but damn, what a bunch of drama queens. Nobody needs to be told how to live their fandom life, but here’s my advice anyway: your panic/elation meter needs to function like the throttle and brakes on a cruise ship, not like a Ferrari. Things are rarely as bad as you think they are . . . until they actually are (Mackovic). And while things look better than they did 2 months ago, we are just a two game losing streak from a disappointing 5-7 season.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

We're currently tied for first in the South, not out of it yet. Weird to even consider that.
prh

Post by prh »

asu finishes with UCLA, Oregon, and then us. USC gets OSU, Cal, and UCLA.

Crazy that the territorial cup could decide the south champion again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU is in a great spot given they own the tiebreaker with every team but us. We are 0-2 in that regard.

Still we have a chance and who would have thought that after UCLA
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The frustrating/cursed thing about Arizona football is that our strong years never seem to coincide with these down years in the conference. Hence the lack of Rose Bowls. :oops: :roll:
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

KillerKlown wrote: Win out.
Utah lose 2of3.
USC lose 1of3.
UCLA lose 1of4.
?
Updated:
Win out.
Utah lose 1of2.
USC lose 1of3.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

KillerKlown wrote:
Utah lose 2of3.
USC lose 1of3.
UCLA lose 1of4.
?
Updated:
Win out.
Utah lose 1of2.
USC lose 1of3.
We'd also need UCLA to lose a game too.

Win out
ASU beats UCLA
UCLA beats USC
Oregon beats Utah
We beat whoever in the title game

8-5 unranked Arizona in their first Rose Bowl. Lol

3rdand25

Utah losing vs ______________

Post by 3rdand25 »

It's sad to see, but a little predictable. They put their athletic QB in harms way, over and over.

It won't work for a full season. Caught up to them unfortunately today. Glad that AZ is getting away from that.

This month is going to be interesting - probably disappointing. But everything is wide open as far as this conference is concerned, and the Cats are alive and its November.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:
Utah lose 2of3.
USC lose 1of3.
UCLA lose 1of4.
?
Updated:
Win out.
Utah lose 1of2.
USC lose 1of3.
We'd also need UCLA to lose a game too.

Win out
ASU beats UCLA
UCLA beats USC
Oregon beats Utah
We beat whoever in the title game

8-5 unranked Arizona in their first Rose Bowl. Lol
Man crazier stuff has happened. If it doesn't though, I'll take the Cheez It bowl provided by a win over either Wazzu of ASSwho.
What a weak division; it's wide open for anyone to take it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At this rate the PAC 12 title game is going to be like 8-4 Stanford vs 8-4 Utah or something.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UCLA got a loss tonight. Looks like the North will probably be the winner of the Apple Cup since UDub is up 17 on Stanford about to go the the 4th quarter.
-JB
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

USC up by 7 at half time.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That UCLA loss really hurts now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:UCLA got a loss tonight. Looks like the North will probably be the winner of the Apple Cup since UDub is up 17 on Stanford about to go the the 4th quarter.

I might have jinxed it. UDub trying to Coug it.
-JB