Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

threenumberones

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by threenumberones »

Man what a fucking cowardly coaching staff. Holy fuck I never thought I'd witness something so miserable in my life..emotionally it will be hard to recover from this. Guess I have 8mo to try and forget. Ugh.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

On the way to the car, I was thinking through a metaphor/simile/analogy to what I just witnessed. My first thought was, damn if you’re going to lose at least go out like Costner in Tin Cup. But then I realized that the Tin Cup approach was actually not the brave approach—it was cowardly. Doing the same thing over and over again because you can’t admit you’re wrong. So in reality, Head FB coaches who go into a bunker are in some counterintuitive way going Tin Cup. Whether stall ball on offense or getting conservative on defense when you have a lead, it’s actually the risky and ultimately losing play just like going for the shot in Tin Cup was. Really just pathetic stuff.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

blackjacker wrote:
azgreg wrote:For those of you who want Sumlin gone who's going to pay for it?
Maybe we're stuck him for awhile but I think he sucks and I wish we had hired Les Miles.
The last two hires we passed up coaches who had long careers in a P5 conference for one's that were canned in 4 years or less.
We fucked up by hiring a retread. Hiring Les would've been a mistake too. Up and coming hungry coach who isnt just looking for a paycheck is the way to go.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:On the way to the car, I was thinking through a metaphor/simile/analogy to what I just witnessed. My first thought was, damn if you’re going to lose at least go out like Costner in Tin Cup. But then I realized that the Tin Cup approach was actually not the brave approach—it was cowardly. Doing the same thing over and over again because you can’t admit you’re wrong. So in reality, Head FB coaches who go into a bunker are in some counterintuitive way going Tin Cup. Whether stall ball on offense or getting conservative on defense when you have a lead, it’s actually the risky and ultimately losing play just like going for the shot in Tin Cup was. Really just pathetic stuff.
The prevent defense is an authoritarian government. Cowardly and cravenly covering up you are out of ideas. You just want to win without risk and protect only your authority.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

My two cents on Sumlin:

1) Sumlin is a mediocre coach who is not going to out-coach anyone in this conference. If he has any success it will be
because he out recruited the other team

2) Speaking of recruiting so far Sumlins efforts have been very RRod-like.247Sports currently has our 2019 class ranked #56.
Its early to be sure and Sumlin could turn it around, but I have my doubts.

3) We are going to be stuck with Sumlin for at least 4 years, so I think that its imperative that he surround himself with
very competent coordinators. For me this means jettisoning Yates ASAP.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

All I can say is that no matter what system you like to run, if you have a running talent like Tate and you don't incorporate that into your offense, you are a bad coach and you are a stupid coach.

If you allow your QB to refuse to even try to get the rushing yards he can, then you are a bad coach and you are a stupid coach.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

How often do old, retread coaches learn from their mistakes and do the smart thing? Hardly ever.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

It's time to consider that both UM and A&M knew what they were doing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

blackjacker wrote:It's time to consider that both UM and A&M knew what they were doing.
Correct. Sadly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:My two cents on Sumlin:

1) Sumlin is a mediocre coach who is not going to out-coach anyone in this conference. If he has any success it will be
because he out recruited the other team

2) Speaking of recruiting so far Sumlins efforts have been very RRod-like.247Sports currently has our 2019 class ranked #56.
Its early to be sure and Sumlin could turn it around, but I have my doubts.

3) We are going to be stuck with Sumlin for at least 4 years, so I think that its imperative that he surround himself with
very competent coordinators. For me this means jettisoning Yates ASAP.
We agree wholeheartedly in regards to the football program at least dmj.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Remember not too long ago Sumlin totally blew that huge lead against UCLA and lost - totally reminds me of this game...
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

IrishAzCat wrote:Remember not too long ago Sumlin totally blew that huge lead against UCLA and lost - totally reminds me of this game...
I was thinking about it as the meltdown was happening. Which leads to the conclusion about Sumlin (about all football coaches really): 1) as I’ve pointed out before, despite the lionization they get, there are few or no football geniuses and in fact, they are kinda dumb profession-wide in general, 2) they are arrogant and lack any tendency toward introspection or self-assessment, 3) they never learn from their mistakes because of 2). Yay.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: I was thinking about it as the meltdown was happening. Which leads to the conclusion about Sumlin (about all football coaches really): 1) as I’ve pointed out before, despite the lionization they get, there are few or no fool geniuses and in fact, they are kinda dumb profession-wide in general, 2) they are arrogant and lack any tendency toward introspection or self-assessment, 3) they never learn from their mistakes because of 2). Yay.
So why pay one $3M a year?

Not facetious. Actual question.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

SCCats wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote: I was thinking about it as the meltdown was happening. Which leads to the conclusion about Sumlin (about all football coaches really): 1) as I’ve pointed out before, despite the lionization they get, there are few or no football geniuses and in fact, they are kinda dumb profession-wide in general, 2) they are arrogant and lack any tendency toward introspection or self-assessment, 3) they never learn from their mistakes because of 2). Yay.

It’s the going rate I guess. Football funds the rest of the athletic program at non-basketball power 5 schools? But yeah it’s a bubble, especially with the future of football so cloudy. At some point it will pop.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just thought I would put this out here.

TAMU seems pretty smart now don't they?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
SCCats wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote: I was thinking about it as the meltdown was happening. Which leads to the conclusion about Sumlin (about all football coaches really): 1) as I’ve pointed out before, despite the lionization they get, there are few or no football geniuses and in fact, they are kinda dumb profession-wide in general, 2) they are arrogant and lack any tendency toward introspection or self-assessment, 3) they never learn from their mistakes because of 2). Yay.

It’s the going rate I guess. Football funds the rest of the athletic program at non-basketball power 5 schools? But yeah it’s a bubble, especially with the future of football so cloudy. At some point it will pop.
I know no one probably gives a shit but for the first time all year I watched an Arizona football game. Well the 4th quarter of the ASU game. I had to turn it on. I had been good all year in not watching any games and doing my best to give it up but was literally twitching wondering what was happening against ASU. Hate does not die easily I guess. I saw the entire epic collapse. and frankly, I laughed. When Pollack lined up to kick the field goal I told my wife, no way he makes it. She said, do not be so negative. And then he missed and she said Man Arizona football really sucks.

Did anyone here really think he would make it?

Anyways the point of me posting here is to totally agree with the above comment. College Football is a bubble that is not sustainable to me . Sports in general are a bubble similar to what the Music Industry was in 1998. The future of football is beyond cloudy and we should be very thankful we went to a basketball school. Once they are able to test CTE in living players, it will be a massive game changer. At this point, our university has decent debt levels for our athletic department related to football but has the funds necessary to keep going through the money we make from basketball. We are actually pretty low compared to other schools like Cal or ASU. The biggest mistake we can make as a university is funding all the West Side improvements through taking on unsustainable levels of debt which at this point is the current plan. The revenue projections for what football will bring in are a major bubble. I would love to find a way to short it. I have thought there might be way to short the bonds from athletic departments but thats a bit above my pay grade. If anyone knew how to do it, I think they would make a killing long term. Similar to shorting sub-prime mortgages in 2007. These would be a longer term play but ESPN has lost 15 Million subscribers since 2011 including 2 Million in the last year alone. Attendance is down nationwide and the WSJ showed earlier this year that its actually down far more from people actually attending games. The traditional sources of revenue, TV contracts and Attendance, are changing before our eyes.

Back to the point of this thread, its clear Sumlin is not the right answer. Hiring re-treads at a place like Arizona never works. If you can not win at Texas, Michigan, or A&M, there is no precedent to say you will be able to win at Arizona. I think one of the biggest lessons in college sports is you never hire a coach another school is happy is not coaching there anymore. At least with Rich Rod they wrote a book saying he got screwed at UM. With Sumlin, there is not a single A&M fan or reporter who would say anything similar. We should always hire a young and upcoming coach like a Larry Smith or Dick Tomey. Cedric Dempsey had the answer but Livengood and Heeke dismissed it. When in doubt an Arizona AD should always think to themself, WWCD...what would cedric do.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m not sure A&M paid Sumlin millions to leave and Jimbob double that to come so they could be the 22nd ranked team in the country. Arizona has beaten numerous top ten teams and been ranked 22nd on a not rare basis. Not sure a&m aspires to Arizona level football.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Times Arizona has been ranked in the top 25 in the final AP poll in the last twenty years?

Once.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Yeah, that’s fair. But since I’ve been a fan (1988 —>) we’ve been ranked at the bottom of the top 25 many times. It’s not any real measure of success. I’m old enough to remember when being ranked 22nd meant you were just another unranked team. It used to be the Top 20.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Yeah, that’s fair. But since I’ve been a fan (1988 —>) we’ve been ranked at the bottom of the top 25 many times. It’s not any real measure of success. I’m old enough to remember when being ranked 22nd meant you were just another unranked team. It used to be the Top 20.
Shoot, youngster, I remember when it was just the top ten.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RichardCranium wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Yeah, that’s fair. But since I’ve been a fan (1988 —>) we’ve been ranked at the bottom of the top 25 many times. It’s not any real measure of success. I’m old enough to remember when being ranked 22nd meant you were just another unranked team. It used to be the Top 20.
Shoot, youngster, I remember when it was just the top ten.
Or the Bottom 10 - that was always my favorite as they described how each team blundered their way to earning that recognition.

Northwestern and Oregon State were included every week for years.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Sumlin isn't going anywhere any time soon (barring some horrific scandal).

I didn't hear, nor read, his post ASsU game comments.

This team has a lack of talent.

That said, Sumlin did about as bad a job as I could have imagined possible for a first year coach at AZ.

The manner in which we lost the ASsU game is particularly bad, and will leave a bad taste in fans' mouths for some time.

He's gonna have to work real hard at recruiting and then coach his ass off moving forwards.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Grading the first year coaches: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... q71lRVypgk" target="_blank

Sumlin came in with a superstar in quarterback Khalil Tate, laid several eggs early, blew a rivalry game to Arizona State and missed a bowl. D

Greg Hansen on Sumlin's lack of emotion: https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... e-trending" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Sumlin isn't going anywhere any time soon (barring some horrific scandal).

I didn't hear, nor read, his post ASsU game comments.

This team has a lack of talent.

That said, Sumlin did about as bad a job as I could have imagined possible for a first year coach at AZ.

The manner in which we lost the ASsU game is particularly bad, and will leave a bad taste in fans' mouths for some time.

He's gonna have to work real hard at recruiting and then coach his ass off moving forwards.
He's not going anywhere, but that's only because we owe a lot of $ if he does. The coaching was bad this year, period, and he did not come in with a strong rep in coaching from aTm.

His rep was recruiting, and right now that is also floundering. The direction there needs to change fast. People ripped on RichRod's recruiting, but Sumlin is giving us similar results there, but along with being much worse as a game coach.

This was a bad first year. We're locked in by the money, so I hope things change, but this is headed in the wrong direction.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Merkin wrote:Grading the first year coaches: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... q71lRVypgk" target="_blank

Sumlin came in with a superstar in quarterback Khalil Tate, laid several eggs early, blew a rivalry game to Arizona State and missed a bowl. D

Greg Hansen on Sumlin's lack of emotion: https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... e-trending" target="_blank
So another article on the sideline/press conference demeanor of the coach. Sumlin is emotionless, RichRod and Stoops were over the top etc. This is a tired take and has only been a topic because none of these coaches consistently produced wins. Win and no one will care how you act on the sideline.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

DrWildcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Grading the first year coaches: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... q71lRVypgk" target="_blank

So another article on the sideline/press conference demeanor of the coach. Sumlin is emotionless, RichRod and Stoops were over the top etc. This is a tired take and has only been a topic because none of these coaches consistently produced wins. Win and no one will care how you act on the sideline.

I actually thought Tomey was much more emotionless than Sumlin. You never knew if UA just scored
a TD or threw a pick 6 by looking at his demeanor.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It makes no difference how coaches act on the sidelines. What matters is their intelligence.

And, sadly, the smartest thing Kevin Sumlin will ever be remembered for is the guaranteed contract his agent secured with Arizona.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

DrWildcat wrote:

But he probably won't and the program is circling the drain. He was a big mistake and I actually think we should have given RR another year. I realize that allegations made it easier to fire him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

But he probably won't and the program is circling the drain. He was a big mistake and I actually think we should have given RR another year. I realize that allegations made it easier to fire him.
The problem with RichRod was that he had lost Tucson. Even with the most exciting player in college football during October, and having a ranked team (WSU) come into Tucson, I think they only announced 42K seats sold, for a 6 pm game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

The problem with RichRod was that he had lost Tucson. Even with the most exciting player in college football during October, and having a ranked team (WSU) come into Tucson, I think they only announced 42K seats sold, for a 6 pm game.
Yeah, but Sumlin has basically gotten to this same point in terms of attendance and interest immediately. It took RR years to lose Tucson and Sumlin pulled that off way faster.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Yeah, but Sumlin has basically gotten to this same point in terms of attendance and interest immediately. It took RR years to lose Tucson and Sumlin pulled that off way faster.
That's for sure. The ASU 4Q debacle was the icing on the cake and the beginning of the end for Sumlin.

Just like the Pigskin Classic v. PSU was the beginning of the end for Tomey.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Greg Hansen on Sumlin's lack of emotion: https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... e-trending" target="_blank
How is it that Greg still has a job after blatantly lying on the radio? I can’t imagine that in Tucson it’s that hard to find old men who love to talk shit. Hire one of them to write shit pieces about UA coaches and who would be able to tell the difference?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Greg Hansen on Sumlin's lack of emotion: https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/gr ... e-trending" target="_blank
How is it that Greg still has a job after blatantly lying on the radio? I can’t imagine that in Tucson it’s that hard to find old men who love to talk shit. Hire one of them to write shit pieces about UA coaches and who would be able to tell the difference?
Ryan Finley just can't live without the smell of Greg's farts in the office.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

Yeah, but Sumlin has basically gotten to this same point in terms of attendance and interest immediately. It took RR years to lose Tucson and Sumlin pulled that off way faster.
Turning a preseason Heisman candidate known for his legs to a throwing QB and blowing a 3 possession lead to your rival in the 4th quarter will do that to you. If he keeps Yates, which seems more plausible now than it did after the ASU game, he may lose what he has left of the fanbase just that fast.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
He must really be a sucker for stories about 1970s southern Utah high school golf teams.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
He must really be a sucker for stories about 1970s southern Utah high school golf teams.
"Dear Mr. Football: You remember Harvey Fatjerus and his second-place shot total in 1971 for Acorn Valley State? Of course you do..."
cats101

Post by cats101 »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
"Dear Mr. Football: You remember Harvey Fatjerus and his second-place shot total in 1971 for Acorn Valley State? Of course you do..."
:lol: :lol:

They need to get rid of this old fart already.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

catgrad97 wrote:It makes no difference how coaches act on the sidelines. What matters is their intelligence.
Agreed. Sideline demeanor means nothing, it's only a talking point if you're losing. Belichick has zero emotion. Saban freaks out on the sideline. Doesn't mean anything.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:Turning a preseason Heisman candidate known for his legs to a throwing QB and blowing a 3 possession lead to your rival in the 4th quarter will do that to you. If he keeps Yates, which seems more plausible now than it did after the ASU game, he may lose what he has left of the fanbase just that fast.
Do you have some info or just thinking that if Yates was gonna be gone, it would have happened already?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Turning a preseason Heisman candidate known for his legs to a throwing QB and blowing a 3 possession lead to your rival in the 4th quarter will do that to you. If he keeps Yates, which seems more plausible now than it did after the ASU game, he may lose what he has left of the fanbase just that fast.
Do you have some info or just thinking that if Yates was gonna be gone, it would have happened already?
Choo knows a lot no doubt, but I took that to mean from Sumlin's post game presser that the prevent defense (and offense) didn't lose the game, it was the Tate interception and Taylor fumble that did.

Which seems to me that Sumlin wouldn't change a thing if he had to do it over again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We really need to stop thinking of UofA football as a power five team and start running it like a high profile mid major.

Should have started this line of thinking like 8-9 years ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:We really need to stop thinking of UofA football as a power five team and start running it like a high profile mid major.

Especially since the Pac-12 is no longer a Power 5 conference.....
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:We really need to stop thinking of UofA football as a power five team and start running it like a high profile mid major.

Fans have certainly been acting that way for years now

Sorry but this is a terrible take. There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
The longer this goes with Yates having a job the more likely he will remain in that job. At this point I'd be surprised if he's canned.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Besides the curse.

UA has not won a sole conference championship during the WAC and PAC eras.

Last sole conference championship for Arizona was the 1941 Border Conference. In 1942 the Border Conference champion was Hardin-Simmons.

In 1961 UA joined the WAC, and in 1978 the PAC.

If there are any players left from that 1941 team they would be near 100 years old.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You mean like by hiring young cheap hungry up and comers instead of retreads?

Inject that line of thought squarely into my veins.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Besides the curse.

UA has not won a sole conference championship during the WAC and PAC eras.

Last sole conference championship for Arizona was the 1941 Border Conference. In 1942 the Border Conference champion was Hardin-Simmons.

In 1961 UA joined the WAC, and in 1978 the PAC.

If there are any players left from that 1941 team they would be near 100 years old.
Whats the curse Merkin? Curse of the Bambino? Billy Goat Curse? What is it? Or is it loser talk plain and simple
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

You mean like by hiring young cheap hungry up and comers instead of retreads?

Yup and be seen as a destination for said up and coming coaches to recruits their ass off and win big for a step up to a big boy team. Rather than a desperate divorcée looking to put out for every former big name that smiles our way.

A rising tide lifts all ships. Most up and comers will move on but you only need one to stay. Build the system. Right now the system is rotten.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stoops worked until it didn’t. That’s ok. Go get another.

Sad to think that those are the best years of my Arizona football life.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:You mean like by hiring young cheap hungry up and comers instead of retreads?

That has worked with the basketball program. Hire a head coach from a smaller school who has never been fired.

Used to work with the football program too, with Larry Smith (Tulane) and Dick Tomey (Hawaii).

No more retreads, no more coordinators without head coaching experience.