College Football Playoff Rankings

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

College Football Playoff Rankings

Post by azgreg »

The first rankings come out tonight on the mothership network. What do you expect?

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/a ... e-rankings

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/s ... e-protocol
azgreg

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Post by azgreg »

It's going to be interesting to see how they get the entire SEC West in the final 4.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote:It's going to be interesting to see how they get the entire SEC West in the final 4.
Don't forget the first two out will be someone from the SEC East and Florida State (assuming Winston only gets arrested no more than two times before the playoffs).
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know its easy to hate on the SEC but as of right now they pretty much deserve their rankings. But just like the Pac South, The SEC West teams will all be playing each other in the next few weeks and losing teams will start to drop. Rankings now still don't matter all that much.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Alieberman wrote:I know its easy to hate on the SEC but as of right now they pretty much deserve their rankings. But just like the Pac South, The SEC West teams will all be playing each other in the next few weeks and losing teams will start to drop. Rankings now still don't matter all that much.
I don't think Bama or Georgia are deserving. Auburn is deserving has a good win vs Kstate and LSU.

Bama at 3 is a joke. As is Georgia at 9.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

There are tons of 1 loss teams out there fighting to be the #3 and #4 teams to get into the playoffs. It's hard to really say where they should be ranked right now. But losses are coming for many of these teams and they will drop.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sagarin has an entire SEC top 5. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote:Sagarin has an entire SEC top 5. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
While the Pac 12 has five in a row from 20-24, AND Arizona is below that!

10 Oregon
20 USC
21 ASU
22 Stanford
23 Utah
24 UCLA

27 Arizona
43 Washington
49 Oregon State
62 California
72 Washington State
89 Colorado

We must beat UCLA this weekend!
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

azgreg wrote:The first rankings come out tonight on the mothership network. What do you expect?

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/a ... e-rankings

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/s ... e-protocol
Principles. The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering: ◦Conference championships won,
◦Strength of schedule,
◦Head-to-head competition,
◦Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
◦Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

Not sure what to expect. I don't, however, expect the CFB Playoff rankings to be similar to Sagarin. I'm not 100% sure what Sagarin takes into account but I'd guess that it's similar criteria that's posted above. With having a human committee watching games I hope that it's what separates Sagarin from the CFP rankings.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

MountainCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Sagarin has an entire SEC top 5. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
While the Pac 12 has five in a row from 20-24, AND Arizona is below that!

10 Oregon
20 USC
21 ASU
22 Stanford
23 Utah
24 UCLA

27 Arizona
43 Washington
49 Oregon State
62 California
72 Washington State
89 Colorado

We must beat UCLA this weekend!
This is a joke the have a 3-3 Florida Gators team ahead of us at 26! Sorry but this list is laughable!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

#12 ASSu #14. lol
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Three sec teams in the top 4....
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:Three sec teams in the top 4....
2, 3 in the top 6.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Miss state, ole miss, and auburn. Is one of them not I the sec?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:Miss state, ole miss, and auburn. Is one of them not I the sec?
Opps, my bad. Looked at it wrong.
Cracking 3
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:#12 ASSu #14. lol
Its about where I think we should be! Where is Oregon and how the hell is Ole Miss still in the top 4?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Oregon is fifth.

How is Georgia 11th? Who have they beat?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Three sec teams in the top 4....
2, 3 in the top 6.
Actually 4 in the Top 6

....just a second......BBBAAAAARRRRRRFFFFFF!!!!!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

QUESTION

Are we one field goal away (USC) from being 3rd in the country and in the Playoff 4?

Asking for a friend.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

does the sec thing really surprise anyone?

i'm a little surprised to see us at 12
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Really no need for a playoff. Just use the SEC championship game as the national championship game
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The SEC west thing will work itself out
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Main Event wrote:
So if we beat UCLA Saturday we'd better fucking jump over Oregon.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bosy Billups wrote:QUESTION

Are we one field goal away (USC) from being 3rd in the country and in the Playoff 4?

Asking for a friend.
I would think so.

What a big missed fg.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We'd be no worse than 5th if we had beaten usc. But not to fear with the sec. Auburn still plays ole miss and Alabama. Mississippi state still plays Alabama and ole miss. Ole miss still plays auburn and Mississippi state.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Every PAC-12 team is ranked at or better than their rankings in the polls
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:We'd be no worse than 5th if we had beaten usc. But not to fear with the sec. Auburn still plays ole miss and Alabama. Mississippi state still plays Alabama and ole miss. Ole miss still plays auburn and Mississippi state.
Exactly.

Between Old Miss, Miss St, Auburn, and Alabama- 4 more losses between these 4 teams are guaranteed.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the committee's stated guidelines from their site:
Some of the guidelines and protocols expected to be established to guide the committee would include, but not be limited to, the following:

While it is understood that committee members will take into consideration all kinds of data including polls, committee members will be required to discredit polls wherein initial rankings are established before competition has occurred;

Any polls that are taken into consideration by the selection committee must be completely open and transparent to the public;

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar;

Committee members associated with any team under consideration during the selection process will be required to recuse themselves from any deliberations associated with that team.
If I had a vote, I would use their tie-breakers in this order; head-to-head competition, championships, and then SOS. For example, I would hope (at the end of the season) a 2 loss Oregon would be ranked ahead of a 2 loss Michigan St even if State won their conference championship and Oregon lost theirs (assuming no bad losses on Oregon's part).

What has surprised me is that most commentators I have heard on TV, radio, and podcasts are quick to go to the eye test as their first tie breaker. Multiple guys argued passionately that Alabama should be ahead of Ole Miss because they believe Alabama is a better team. Same records, no bad Ole Miss losses (like ASSu suffered to UCLA), and I think Ole Miss should be ranked higher because of the win over Bama.

As of this week I think Arizona and Oregon are the only conference teams that can make the final four. ASSu and Utah both have bad losses that should disqualify them if they are compared to other 1 loss teams at the end of the year. For either of them to have a chance to qualify they would need to be the only 1 loss team left standing for the final playoff spot and they would still probably get bumped for a 2 loss SEC West team.
Mr.Zebra

Post by Mr.Zebra »

screw the sec
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Amazing to think that in an 8 team playoff Oregon and Michigan State would be in while we would be out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

There is really no point in this exercise between now and the end of the season. If both us and Oregon were to win out, the issue would be resolved at Levi's Stadium on December 5th.

That being said, giving Oregon credit for beating a shit UCLA team is grasping for straws almost as much as using the "Marcus Mariota is the best player in the country" as a reason to put them in. We should be ranked above them. Period. Not saying we should be in or higher than where we are... but we dominated them and our one loss was on a missed field goal when both of our RBs were out the entire game. They are both back, and we put up great numbers against Wazzu AND shut them down better than anyone else has until we got into garbage time. Oregon almost lost to Wazzu as well.

I think Notre Dame was shafted even worse than us, having lost on a bad call to FSU. On the plus side, the B1G was treated exactly how they deserve to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:

Asking for a friend.
I would think so.

What a big missed fg.
or 3...

he missed 3 FG that game
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Amazing to think that in an 8 team playoff Oregon and Michigan State would be in while we would be out.
like why should be even play a regular season?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Asking for a friend.
I would think so.

What a big missed fg.
or 3...

he missed 3 FG that game
One was blocked, not missed (after he made it as Sark called timeout).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Pretty much as I expected. Glad the PAC teams are ranked a bit higher than in the coach's polls. As has been mentioned, the SEC West teams haven't played each other yet, so I don't have a problem with them being ranked so high this early. Let's come back in 2 weeks and see where we stand. I bet we'll see a lot more movement.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Every PAC-12 team is ranked at or better than their rankings in the polls
Herbie briefly mentioned that as even he admitted that he hasn't watched a lot of Arizona TY and that a lot of the voters on the East Coast haven't either. Fortunately for Arizona the committee does watch and they know that we can play with anybody.

Utah can't be happy. Oregon is hoping they beat Assu so they can go into Utah, lay the wood and add another notch in it's belt.

Lots of football to be played but Arizona has to keep up with Oregon in regards to beating teams that they beat. Assu doesn't play Oregon which hurts their chances and they got smoked by Ucla. Utah beat Ucla but has a tough road ahead of them and nobody is going to take them lightly especially since they're ranked and teams beating them will score extra points in the eyes of the committee.

What sucks for Arizona is we play Utah after Assu, Oregon and Stanford and by the time we get to Utah they could have 4 losses on the season and not be ranked. If Utah can get through that set of teams then they would deserve to be in the playoffs but I don't see them being able to do that. I think they can beat Assu but Oregon, at Stanford and then Arizona is a tough road.

One game at a time but you have to like where we sit at this point.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

splitsecond wrote:There is really no point in this exercise between now and the end of the season. If both us and Oregon were to win out, the issue would be resolved at Levi's Stadium on December 5th.

That being said, giving Oregon credit for beating a shit UCLA team is grasping for straws almost as much as using the "Marcus Mariota is the best player in the country" as a reason to put them in. We should be ranked above them. Period. Not saying we should be in or higher than where we are... but we dominated them and our one loss was on a missed field goal when both of our RBs were out the entire game. They are both back, and we put up great numbers against Wazzu AND shut them down better than anyone else has until we got into garbage time. Oregon almost lost to Wazzu as well.

I think Notre Dame was shafted even worse than us, having lost on a bad call to FSU. On the plus side, the B1G was treated exactly how they deserve to be.
I'm glad they'redoing this now, that way no shaky behavior is performed out of the blue atthe end of the season. We know week to week where each team stands.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I like our ranking. We have 1 good win, Oregon. Every other win was against weak competition. We also had a weak OOC schedule and it is showing. Can you imagine if we had a nice OkieSt win instead of the UTSA win? This ranking is showing love for the teams with the most good wins rather than overreacting to losses. Either way, it will all shake out with so many head to head matches in the upcoming weeks. I like that we are in the conversation. Every college football radio and tv show (I tune into them most all of them) talked about the Arizona win over Oregon and Oregon's win over MSU. In prior years, we wouldn't even be in the conversation and now we are. I love this playoff and I love being relevant. BeatUCLA..BearDown!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Asking for a friend.

I keep thinking that we left 12-28 points in the redzone and we really should have put up 40+ and won easily. I know football doesn't work that way but we really shoul have had more room for error.

Hard to see our offense bogging down with anu getting better every game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azcat49 wrote:

Asking for a friend.

I keep thinking that we left 12-28 points in the redzone and we really should have put up 40+ and won easily. I know football doesn't work that way but we really shoul have had more room for error.

Hard to see our offense bogging down with anu getting better every game
How many times did Anu miss his deep/touch throws in the WSU game? Not many if I recall. He's played in Autzen, he'll be ready for UCLA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

nm
Last edited by azgreg on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

azgreg wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:What sucks for Arizona is we play Utah after Assu,
We play Utah before ASSu.

Utah plays @ ASU this Saturday night.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:What sucks for Arizona is we play Utah after Assu,
We play Utah before ASSu.

Utah plays @ ASU this Saturday night.
Oops, I misread that. Thanks
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

CFP #12 ranking...

Slightly better than I expected. Also excited that Arizona is 2nd highest ranked from P12 in their rankings. Have no issue Oregon ranked higher than Arizona.

Arizona has 2 wins against teams with a winning record this year.
UNLV 2-6
UTSA 2-6
Nev 5-3
Cal 4-4
Ore 7-1
USC 5-3
WSU 2-6

Overall record 27-29

One of them a BIG win in Autzen. But in my opinion, that put Arizona on the map to be that highly ranked. Nation/Committee took notice to look at Arizona, see how they continue to play and put them in ranking position to be rewarded over others. Especially coming from P12. Best scenario for me is to have Oregon vs. Arizona in P12 champ game. BUT, so much football left.

The SEC bias? I hate the SEC, but the SEC has the best record of Power 5 conferences vs. other Power 5 conferences in the last 10 years. SEC also holds advantage head-head against the P12 in the last 10 years.

If the P12 held that advantage, I would want polls. media, voters, committee to hold that "Bias" as well. Thus the 4-team playoff. It's a start. Better than AP voters dictating CFB champs (IMO).

SEC West will beat each other up before end of season I expect. 4-team will change.

Financially, rooting for a P12 team to get in (EXCEPT ASSU). IF not Arizona, then financially rooting for a P12 team. Each CFB playoff team gets $6 million for the conference over the expected baseline of $50 million/conf in CFP era.

$4 million to teams in the non-playoff New Years bowls (Cotton, Fiesta and Peach bowls TY). Some of that would come to Arizona. That's good, financially). It's power. The more games SEC vs P12 and P12 wins, the faster it should change the perception.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Utah just lost Dres Anderson for the year. They're still a tough out but this is going to hurt them. We'll see if ASU can stop Utah's run game this weekend.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Good read from Rolling Stone Magazine - Confirms a lot of the complaints for those of us outside the SEC looking in.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... f-20141028
Mr.Zebra

Post by Mr.Zebra »

this is a complete joke.

oregon gets a pass for losing to us, because a few lineman were injured

we don't get a pass for losing to usc, despite 2 RBs being injured

sec circle jerk still going on. btw, how the fuck do they determine SOS? who the fuck ranks the SEC so high? oh, just cause they play themselves in conference. its crap.

whats going to happen, is that this 4 team limited playoff is going to end up just as unsatisfying as the bcs was.

we're gonna be forced to keep eating bullshit sandwiches until the playoff expands. if the 'lower' divisions can do a bigger playoff, then the fbs sure as hell can.