RAP input needed. please read

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Daveracity

RAP input needed. please read

Post by Daveracity »

There was some confusion on rap for the UCLA game. Specifically can picks be changed due to injury?

I have followed the rule don’t edit posts, but you can add a new post to clarify or correct an error (ie forgot the tie breaker or points don’t total to 50).

As far a changing a post due to injury, I will let the majority rule on this question for the UCLA game and going forward.

My opinion is for the UCLA game most posters understood the rules to be picks couldn’t be changed. So for UCLA the original pick counts.

Going forward I would be okay allowing picks to be changed (with a new post - don’t edit the original post)

If you play rap please give your vote for the UCLA game and going forward. Majority will rule.
RAP Rules : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=716" target="_blank
Chicat

Re: RAP input needed. please read

Post by Chicat »

From the UCLA RAP thread:
Chicat wrote:Once a pickset has been submitted I feel like that should be your picks, even if it turns out a player is hurt.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No changes due to injuries. That's the advantage of posting last, when those that post first used to have an advantage of the tie breakers, or at least they did.

Only changes due to poor math (under only, no over) and forgetting the TB score.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

There is inherent risk in submitting picks early that we all tacitly understand. It sucks when a player (or two) is held out due to injury, but that's just part of the game. I think the rule should stay as-is, no pick changes for injury.
Formerly McLurvin
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Well, I had picked Tate for UCLA and didn't change my pick because it seemed like it wasn't allowed.

However, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to make a change due to an injury, especially an unknown injury (Tate compared to JJ). Seems to me that if people are allowed to correct a mistake, which was their own fault, then they should be able to change a pick due to injury, which they had no control over.

If the rules stay the same, I guess the moral of the story is to post at the last possible minute as the advantage gained posting early (maybe a point) is a lot less than what you can lose when a costly player sits out.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

First Davercity, thanks for asking and I really appreciate that you're running RAP and doing all the effort. It's great that you're asking for input.

If we don't allow picks to be changed, there is an inherent advantage to those that are at the game, because coaches are usually tight lipped about injuries or whether a particular player will play. I'd go to every game if I could, but I live 5 hours away. At least by being allowed to post with new picks, some of the inherent advantage from being a Tucson local is nullified.

Also, I don't think it is good for everybody to be waiting and rushing to get their picks in at the last minute because they know the picks are unchangeable once submitted. To have a chance, do we all want to be waiting and waiting and then potentially have it slip our minds?

Same goes for UCLA game. We should be allowed to post with new picks as information becomes available.

Thanks again for asking and for running RAP.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:No changes due to injuries. That's the advantage of posting last, when those that post first used to have an advantage of the tie breakers, or at least they did.

Only changes due to poor math (under only, no over) and forgetting the TB score.
This. There are risks from posting last like forgetting, but advantages like knowing who is playing. Just like there are risks for posting early, but advantages like a tiebreaker.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Chicat wrote:From the UCLA RAP thread:
Chicat wrote:Once a pickset has been submitted I feel like that should be your picks, even if it turns out a player is hurt.

I agree no player changes after your original post, unknown injuries are part of the process. Adding a missing tiebreaker with
a separate post seems reasonable.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No changes IMO and I had Tate. To bad so sad
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

No changes or different picksets!
I had Tate but I also had Gunnel thinking he would get garbage time in a blowout. There were so many times in the past that I would have changed my picks because of late injury announcements. Its part of the game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote:First Davercity, thanks for asking and I really appreciate that you're running RAP and doing all the effort. It's great that you're asking for input.

If we don't allow picks to be changed, there is an inherent advantage to those that are at the game, because coaches are usually tight lipped about injuries or whether a particular player will play. I'd go to every game if I could, but I live 5 hours away. At least by being allowed to post with new picks, some of the inherent advantage from being a Tucson local is nullified.

Also, I don't think it is good for everybody to be waiting and rushing to get their picks in at the last minute because they know the picks are unchangeable once submitted. To have a chance, do we all want to be waiting and waiting and then potentially have it slip our minds?

Same goes for UCLA game. We should be allowed to post with new picks as information becomes available.

Thanks again for asking and for running RAP.
I actually think there’s a disadvantage to being at the game. I might learn from social media sitting on my couch 2000 miles away that a guy isn’t playing before he’s spotted in street clothes on the sideline.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I propose a rule where the poster named azgreg is allowed to spend $100 on players.
prh

Post by prh »

While I'm not playing this year, in past years I have usually been a late poster. I've never had issue with someone updating their picks cause they messed up, I've done that on occasion. Updates cause of injuries are a little bit different, but we're all here playing to have fun, right? And a bit more reason to care about the game during some years. For that reason, I wouldn't have any problem allowing people to fix picks for injury. If you have Tate and he's out, you're now less interested and that's counter-productive.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:No changes due to injuries. That's the advantage of posting last, when those that post first used to have an advantage of the tie breakers, or at least they did.

^my vote is this
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

No injury changes. That's opening up a huge can of worms. There is risk in posting your picks early. This is pretty much known by everyone.
Sid

Post by Sid »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

^my vote is this
Me too!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sid wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

^my vote is this
Me too!
Captcarnage

Post by Captcarnage »

Thx for spearheading RAP Davercity. I enjoy it every week
I vote for no changes due to injury. I usually wait until close to game time before entering my picks. Last week i found out tate wasnt playing literally minutes after making my picks. I sucked it up and came in last. Lol. Thats the deal and i lived with it. My 2cents.
2014-2015 RAP Football Champion
Daveracity

Post by Daveracity »

Ok, the consensus is no changing players or picks due to injury or late breaking information.

I will allow corrections to the tie breaker, if your picks don’t total to 50 points (over or under), basically anything that doesn’t involve subbing one player for another. Again, this is meant to keep the games interesting and fun, so if you catch a clerical error and fix it before game time in a new post it will be allowed.

Another example I would allowed to be fixed is CatNapTom last week put the wrong name for the point value. If he would have caught the error and fixed it, that would have been allowed.

Again, correct the error in a new post, don’t edit the original post.

Any other questions let me know.
RAP Rules : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=716" target="_blank