Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by PHXCATS »

Bad game, it happens. But if you want UA to win now is not the time to abandon the team and your donations/ticket purchases
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That’s the only way fans can hold an athletic department accountable. Yates has all off season to game plan for Hawaii and this is what we got. Safeties were terrible and he coaches those groups as well.

I know you will be there for NAU but that loss just cost them 15k fans at the game.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:That’s the only way fans can hold an athletic department accountable. Yates has all off season to game plan for Hawaii and this is what we got. Safeties were terrible and he coaches those groups as well.

I know you will be there for NAU but that loss just cost them 15k fans at the game.
How do you expect to get the best chance at players and coaches who will improve the team with less money?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Happens all the time. You hire a coach who is a great tactician and developer of talent and he goes 8-4 then 9-3 then has a big year. Fans show up if you win. You lose and they don’t and that is what forces programs to make changes.

With this staff it’s going to get lonely on the mall and in the stadium. Admire the support but for me I can’t continue to support Sumlin and Yates. You do realize they had all off season to prepare for that game and this what we got
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well outside of like 0-12 no one is getting fired this year. But Sumlin will be on the hot seat next season. Anything less than like 8 wins next year should be fireable.
I just don't see what in Sumlin's performance so far says he should get a third year.

Recruiting: disappointing.
Coaching: bad.
Results: worse than he inherited.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If Arizona Stadium is a ghost town and we don't make a bowl I don't see how you keep him. If we lose to ASU again on top of that they'll basically be forced to fire him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well outside of like 0-12 no one is getting fired this year. But Sumlin will be on the hot seat next season. Anything less than like 8 wins next year should be fireable.
Sumlin is HOPING for 1-11!!!

Bear (Way) Down, Arizona!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Saw the game last night with the East Valley Cats in a Chandler sports bar. It was a painful game to watch. If it wasn't for all the turnovers, we wouldn't even have been in the game. And in true Arizona fashion, we come back in the end just to have our hearts ripped out by Tate being stopped one yard from the goal. Oh well. I don't understand why we are jumping down Yates's throat, the defense gave our offense what, 5-6 possessions and they just fell short.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UALoco wrote:Saw the game last night with the East Valley Cats in a Chandler sports bar. It was a painful game to watch. If it wasn't for all the turnovers, we wouldn't even have been in the game. And in true Arizona fashion, we come back in the end just to have our hearts ripped out by Tate being stopped one yard from the goal. Oh well. I don't understand why we are jumping down Yates's throat, the defense gave our offense what, 5-6 possessions and they just fell short.
Because we gave up 400+ yards and 5 TDs to a QB that wouldn’t make a PAC 12 team and subsequently was pulled because he was so inaccurate? Oh, and 45 points that would have been 63 if he had been pulled for a Freshman sooner in the game?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
UALoco wrote:Saw the game last night with the East Valley Cats in a Chandler sports bar. It was a painful game to watch. If it wasn't for all the turnovers, we wouldn't even have been in the game. And in true Arizona fashion, we come back in the end just to have our hearts ripped out by Tate being stopped one yard from the goal. Oh well. I don't understand why we are jumping down Yates's throat, the defense gave our offense what, 5-6 possessions and they just fell short.
Because we gave up 400+ yards and 5 TDs to a QB that wouldn’t make a PAC 12 team and subsequently was pulled because he was so inaccurate? Oh, and 45 points that would have been 63 if he had been pulled for a Freshman sooner in the game?
I guess my point is that the offense wasn't all that great either.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UALoco wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
I guess my point is that the offense wasn't all that great either.
I’m not fighting you over that. Comprehensive failure on all fronts. Except the field goal kicker.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

https://dryheatsports.com/2019/09/03/fi ... this-week/" target="_blank
5. Support the Football Team
Apathy may be at an all-time high for Arizona football, which is a very troubling thing. Win or lose, love a coach or hate, perhaps the worst thing that can happen to a football program is when fan apathy sets in.

An apathetic fan base is a turn off to donors, recruits and prospective coaches down the road. It is even a turn off for other fans. When people stop caring and supporting, the climate and culture is not conducive to a winning program. And it’s hard to turn around.

That is a major reason I continue to push the need to be a football season ticket holder. If this community and University wants to take football to a new level, it needs to support football. When people stop buying tickets, stop going to games and lose their desire to have a good football program, it becomes impossible to have a good football program.

You can like or dislike coaches as much as you want, but if you want to have a strong football product you have to support it – both financially by buying tickets and physically by being at the games to create an atmosphere that gives the team an edge and invites the next generation of Wildcats to want to be a part of this program.

Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the 100-plus student-athletes putting on the pads and dedicating themselves to the program are what matter each year. They represent the past history and are the connection to the future of the program. Those young men deserve a first-class experience here at the University of Arizona and they deserve full support from the fans in this community.

Attendance this Saturday likely won’t top 35,000. That’s a shame. Hopefully this team will show its improvement over the last couple weeks and give us optimism for the rest of the season regardless of the opponent this week.

So I encourage every Wildcat near or far, if you have an interest in the success of Arizona football in the future, don’t fall into the trap of apathy.

Don’t wait until basketball season. Don’t wait until next year.

Bear Down and Beat NAU. Get your tickets here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Apathy may be at an all-time high for Arizona football,

Was Willis not around for the Mackovic years?

Also the last few seasons of the Tomey years the fans were very apathetic. Tomey was well liked, but the fans tired of his extremely boring offense. 3rd and long was either a pooch punt (ala Keith Smith) or the QB draw (Ortege Jenkins and those following). Tomey also tired of recruiting, and didn't have enough good players to practice, so he stopped tackling practices.

Then he decided to accept the invitation to play Penn State in the Pigskin Classic. The program never recovered.

That brought in Mackovic, who knew how to have an exciting offense. Look how well he did with Jason Johnson.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Football is a dying sport.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bought tickets to the Football game so we can get inside the Cole and Jeannie Davis Center to tailgate
We are pleased to announce our Coca-Cola Fan Fiesta and Wildcat Club tailgate will be hosted inside the beautiful Cole and Jeannie Davis Sports Center, starting this season. This new and dynamic pregame hospitality area opens three hours prior to kickoff and is open to all fans with a ticket to the game. We will have food and beverage concessions with beer and wine options, including some special local vendors like eegee’s, Brother John’s BBQ and La Parilla Suiza. We will also host plenty of entertainment options for fans with live music, tailgate games and a kids’ zone with inflatables and a photo booth.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Football is a dying sport.
Yo as many know I moved to Irvine from Tucson recently. I've really only slightly followed UofA basketball. Out of the loop on anything else. Do you know last Thursday I was like hmm CFB starts soon let me keep the schedule. Once I did, saw the Cats lost to freaking Hawaii. My asu friend didn't even bother to rub it in. Sad.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

cats101 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Football is a dying sport.
Yo as many know I moved to Irvine from Tucson recently. I've really only slightly followed UofA basketball. Out of the loop on anything else. Do you know last Thursday I was like hmm CFB starts soon let me keep the schedule. Once I did, saw the Cats lost to freaking Hawaii. My asu friend didn't even bother to rub it in. Sad.
I'm in Newport working in Irvine. There is usually a watch party on the peninsula but they recently renovated the bar so not sure if it will still be that one. I'll catch a day game there if we have one you should too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:https://dryheatsports.com/2019/09/03/fi ... this-week/
5. Support the Football Team
Apathy may be at an all-time high for Arizona football, which is a very troubling thing. Win or lose, love a coach or hate, perhaps the worst thing that can happen to a football program is when fan apathy sets in.

An apathetic fan base is a turn off to donors, recruits and prospective coaches down the road. It is even a turn off for other fans. When people stop caring and supporting, the climate and culture is not conducive to a winning program. And it’s hard to turn around.

That is a major reason I continue to push the need to be a football season ticket holder. If this community and University wants to take football to a new level, it needs to support football. When people stop buying tickets, stop going to games and lose their desire to have a good football program, it becomes impossible to have a good football program.

You can like or dislike coaches as much as you want, but if you want to have a strong football product you have to support it – both financially by buying tickets and physically by being at the games to create an atmosphere that gives the team an edge and invites the next generation of Wildcats to want to be a part of this program.

Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the 100-plus student-athletes putting on the pads and dedicating themselves to the program are what matter each year. They represent the past history and are the connection to the future of the program. Those young men deserve a first-class experience here at the University of Arizona and they deserve full support from the fans in this community.

Attendance this Saturday likely won’t top 35,000. That’s a shame. Hopefully this team will show its improvement over the last couple weeks and give us optimism for the rest of the season regardless of the opponent this week.

So I encourage every Wildcat near or far, if you have an interest in the success of Arizona football in the future, don’t fall into the trap of apathy.

Don’t wait until basketball season. Don’t wait until next year.

Bear Down and Beat NAU. Get your tickets here.
That is such Bullshit. Just a schill for the university. When the apathy set in for Tomey and after the Macovic disaster, we had50k plus attendance because of our hope in Stoops. Show us improvement, such us better recruiting results, show us a product on the field that is prepared and well coached. We have none of this.

Thus article really rubs me the wrong way. Don’t tell me what to do with my money or my fandom
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Thus article really rubs me the wrong way. Don’t tell me what to do with my money or my fandom
It’s pretty interesting that in major college sports, the athletes are told to put in the hard work to get the results on the field or court that will lead to money down the line (in the form of professional opportunities) while fans are told we have to pony up the money first before we see any hard work or results.

Nice little racket they got going on over there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you build it, will they come?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

8%, it’s that high. Guess we should all buy tickets. F that noise. You want to make a commitment, fire the whole staff and spend 100 million and try and get a real coach and coordinators
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:8%, it’s that high. Guess we should all buy tickets. F that noise. You want to make a commitment, fire the whole staff and spend 100 million and try and get a real coach and coordinators
Yeah seriously. Instead of spending 100 million on the west side, spend 70 million and then shell out for the best coaches and recruits (might as well cheat as much as everyone else does) money can buy. Give some coach a $8 million a year contract, whatever.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Tailgating inside was pretty damn cool. They put flooring down for the Wildcat Club tailgate($25 for 2 drinks/meal) and then a section in the back where they had food/drinks($7-9 beers amd hard seltzers). Could not get on the field with anything but water. TVs everywhere but no jumbo-tron like I requested for basketball games.

40K attendance. Largest crowd I've seen for a home opener in years. Zona Zoo was packed. Beer line was too long so our group didn't make it past the first half

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You can bring your own sofas?

That would definitely make it more like home.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Greg Byrne dealing with student attendance issues at ‘Bama
The University of Alabama is offering an incentive for students to stay inside Bryant-Denny Stadium for the entire game by utilizing location tracking through a new phone application.

The app monitors when students enter the stadium for Crimson Tide games -- and when they leave.

Students receive 100 Tide Loyalty Points for attending a home football game and 250 points per game for staying all four quarters. Those points can then be used toward priority access to student football tickets.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rter-stays" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Dave

Post by Dave »

It is time to put a dome on the stadium. That would solve alot of our problems. The fans would be alot more comfortable and we could start the games any time we want.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dave wrote:It is time to put a dome on the stadium.
That has no chance of happening.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dave wrote:It is time to put a dome on the stadium. That would solve alot of our problems. The fans would be alot more comfortable and we could start the games any time we want.
Weather is a factor, but for the most part game times are determined by the networks. You have a crappy team, they start the games real late.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Dave wrote:It is time to put a dome on the stadium. That would solve alot of our problems. The fans would be alot more comfortable and we could start the games any time we want.
Would be nice but that would basically be a like $400 million tear down the stadium and start from scratch kinda build

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I was actually presently surprised with the attendance for the NAU game. Not what I think we should have overall but all things considered it was a good showing and better than expected. Then on Saturday it was a complete disaster. Absolutely pathetic. Huge game, white out, first OOC Power 5 team in 7 years to visit Arizona Stadium, really nice weather and no one was there. The team deserves so much better
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I presently believe the fans deserve so much better.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:I was actually presently surprised with the attendance for the NAU game. Not what I think we should have overall but all things considered it was a good showing and better than expected. Then on Saturday it was a complete disaster. Absolutely pathetic. Huge game, white out, first OOC Power 5 team in 7 years to visit Arizona Stadium, really nice weather and no one was there. The team deserves so much better

No doubt the fans are sending a message and I hope the powers that be are listening. Going to be a long road back to support these coaches. That implosion against ASSU last year and then laying an egg in the islands really hurt them with the fans. They better get more consistent quick
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Take care of business against UCLA and Colorado and they'll gain a tiny bit of my trust and support back, but still none of my money.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Winning cures everything and brings back the fun.

For fans, at its base, this is entertainment. Filling the stadium at this moment won’t move the needle on recruiting in the short team, but winning sure as hell will.

Winning cures everything.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The Wildcats drew fewer than 40,000 fans for the Texas Tech and UCLA games, which both kicked off a little after 7:30 p.m. Arizona hadn’t had consecutive crowds under 40,000 since 1997.

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Do we draw ,more than 40,000 this week?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think so. It's family weekend against a goodish UW team. Won't be a sellout but it'll probably be near 45k.

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Family Weekend helps. 8pm hurts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Supposedly only 4K tickets left so looks like we will get a 50k plus crowd. Big opportunity to put people back on the bus but we all know what usually happens.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Supposedly only 4K tickets left so looks like we will get a 50k plus crowd. Big opportunity to put people back on the bus but we all know what usually happens.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Seating capacity is only 51k? Where did 5k seats go(capacity is 55,675)? Hopefully they get a great walk up crowd
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Blaming the uniforms is by far the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of. Literally all but 4-5 schools in college football have some kind of "gimmicky" uniforms. Ohio State and Oklahoma wear them often. Then there's Oregon. Every school has wacky blackout or alternate uniforms.

Thinking we need a certain jersey or size of A on the helmet to win and make fans happy is beyond stupid.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This is why, part 4527
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Please use the arch rivals board when posting stories about ASU.

This is a University of Arizona Board.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
Please use the arch rivals board when posting stories about ASU.

This is a University of Arizona Board.
It is about the topic of fans needing to show up to have a winning product. It is on topic
prh

Post by prh »

We need more fans so the boos are louder.

Reason we can't fill the stadium? Because our fans are smart enough to know disaster was coming when Tate came back out with 2:31 left in the 2nd quarter. The game was under control at that point. 2 Gunnel possessions yielded 2 touchdowns. Score, then get the ball after half, all was ok.

BUT!! Our brilliant coaching staff sends Tate out (to boos), and just as we are approaching FG range, Tate takes an 11 yard sack, followed by a 10 yard sack. And continuing their brilliance, our staff calls a timeout before 3&31, when Oregon State was just trying to get into halftime (evidenced by how they started their ensuing possession).

So we gift wrap an OSU TD to close the half, bring Tate back out for a 3 and out (more boos), and a TD later, it's suddenly 42-19 and the game is out of reach.

Our coaching staff didn't show up to the game, why should the fans?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »