College Football Playoff Rankings

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Post by scumdevils86 »

MountainCat wrote:Good read from Rolling Stone Magazine - Confirms a lot of the complaints for those of us outside the SEC looking in.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... f-20141028

Love it. great article. i wonder what the reaction on the main rivals board is haha.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Glad I gave it a full read. It really does paint a picture that we all see. A lot of SEC teams are backing out of contracts when they have to go on the road, with the recent success of MSU, I wouldnt be surprised if they backed out against AZ in the next year or two.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

From what I've witnessed, ESPN and SEC fanboys all brush this article off as a hatchet job / smear campaign.

The SEC does have good teams at the top, and is the toughest conference (with P12 right behind). But the gap isn't as big as Southern idiots and ESPN make it out to be, especially with the bottom of the SEC usually being a joke. That's what is irritating. The way the SEC schools get the benefit of the doubt regardless and everyone at ESPN bows down before the greatness of the Southeastern United States and their cherished colleged football teams. The Pac12 will always be fighting an uphill battle due to the late time-zones and the fact that most people in the East and Midwest are simply ignorant about football in the West. The SEC/ESPN lovefest/bias will surely pave the way for 2 SEC teams to make the playoff come Dec 7th.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

SEC is the best conference until another conference steps up and proves otherwise. You have to "knock out" the champion. FSU's NC last year was a good punch in the face but not a knock out. Until another conference can show a better head to head record and start racking up some National Chamionships, they will still be king of the hill. Get over it, enjoy our deserved #12 ranking, and hope we win out.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Wilner chimes in on Playoff Committee rankings and SEC bias. I'm hit and miss with Wilner (more miss). But he provides some current season non-conference stats:

FWIW, he's not a fan of CFP publishing weekly rankings. He seems to be saying Pac12 needs to step up its non-con for CFP era.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... aos-ahead/
Let’s examine the SEC and the Pac-12, for instance.

1. The top of the Pac-12 has two bad losses: USC-Boston College is a bad loss, and Utah-Washington State is a horrendous loss.

The top teams in the SEC West, meanwhile, have only lost to themselves.

2. The Pac-12 has one … count ‘em: ONE … top-shelf non-conference win, Oregon over No. 8 (committee rankings) Michigan State, and it came at home.

The SEC, meanwhile, has a neutral field win over No. 20 West Virginia (Alabama), a road win over No. 9 Kansas State (Auburn) and a home win over No. 21 Clemson (Georgia).

Even the second-tier SEC noncon wins, like Ole Miss over Boise State, LSU over Wisconsin and South Carolina over East Carolina, are better than anything the Pac-12 can offer outside of Oregon-Michigan State.

It’s not Utah’s fault that Michigan is down – same goes for UCLA as it relates to Texas – but it’s the reality.

In fact, when you take Oregon-Michigan State out of the equation, the collection of noncon wins by the best of the Pac-12 (Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, USC and UCLA) is utterly unimpressive:

UC Davis, Army, Weber State, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho State, Virginia, New Mexico, Fresno State, Michigan, Nevada, UTSA, UNLV, Memphis and Texas.

Only two of the FBS teams in that group have winning records: Memphis and Nevada, and those would hardly be viewed as quality wins by the Pac-12.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

UALoco wrote:SEC is the best conference until another conference steps up and proves otherwise. You have to "knock out" the champion. FSU's NC last year was a good punch in the face but not a knock out. Until another conference can show a better head to head record and start racking up some National Chamionships, they will still be king of the hill. Get over it, enjoy our deserved #12 ranking, and hope we win out.
I think you're missing the point.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I think a boost in OOC scheduling for the Pac, specifically us, would help fight the SEC "bias". I personally think the SEC is the best conference right now with Pac-12 being close behind. If we were to drop down to an 8 game schedule or just keep the 9 and continue to schedule weak OOC games, the public perception wouldn't change. We really need to start an ABC schedule to have that one P5 matchup which helps our (Pac12 & UofA) argument of getting into the top 8 for the college playoff moving forward.

One thing that can make scheduling premier matchups with other P5 schools difficult is the recent evidence of SEC schools backing out of their agreements. I'll be interested to see if we actually end up playing Miss St. when I'm almost 40 years old. Speaking of, has anyone heard anything about this Big 12 matchup that Byrne was alluding to a few weeks ago? He was at a Kansas St. game and allegedly has a close relationship with their AD. Daniel Berk tweeted out that it could be with K-State given that information but quickly tweeted later that it was only a guess.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Yes, an 8 game schedule. Then we can play Presbyterian in November, unless, you know, Alabama is playing them.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

azgreg wrote:Yes, an 8 game schedule. Then we can play Presbyterian in November, unless, you know, Alabama is playing them.
I'm strongly opposed to an 8 game schedule but used it as reference since many people who are complaining (not on this board) suggest it be a level playing field and we go to 8 as well. It would be like playing ULL (or was it La Tech?) in November a couple years ago. God, that was awful.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here is who the ranked of the SEC is playing in November:

Miss St: UT Martin
Auburn: Samford
Ole Miss: Presbyterian
Alabama: W Carolina
Georgia: Charleston Southern
LSU: has been the exception to the rule

Personally I miss the round robin of the Pac-10 with 1 FCS team, 1 mid major team, and 1 P5 team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Teams #3 through #17 are all 1 loss teams fighting to get into the playoffs.

Here are each teams remaining games vs current top 20

#1Miss St: at Alabama, at Ole Miss
#2 Florida St: None
#3 Auburn: At Ole Miss, at Georgia and at Alabama
#4 Ole Miss: Auburn Miss St.
#5 Oregon: at Utah
#6 Alabama: at LSU, Miss St, Auburn
#7 TCU: Kansas St.
#8 Michigan St: Ohio St.
#9 Kansas St: at TCU, at Baylor
#10 Notre Dame: at ASU
#11 Georgia: Auburn
#12 Arizona: at Utah, ASU (plus this week at #22 UCLA)
#13 Baylor: at Oklahoma, Kansas St.
#14 ASU: Utah, Notre Dame, at AZ
#15 Nebraska: None
#16 Ohio St: at Mich St.
#17 Utah: at ASU, Oregon, AZ

The SEC teams are about to eliminate each other.
Florida St is going to get in because they play nobody
Oregon has an easy path to get in
Michigan St and TCU do too

If I were to project now I would say the final 4 are:

Florida St
SEC winner
Oregon
Michigan St or TCU the 4th spot.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Alieberman wrote: Here are each teams remaining games vs current top 20

I've edited your list to pull out teams that already have a bad loss. A 1 loss team that already has a bad loss will probably be passed over for a 2 loss team that only had close losses to other top teams.

Removed from contention for bad losses:

Utah lost to Wash St
Ohio St lost to VA Tech
ASU crushed by UCLA 62-27
Baylor big loss to West Virginia 41-27

That leaves 13 teams with a chance for the final 4.

I bolded the teams who I think could still have 2 good losses and remain in the playoff picture. The rest of the teams realistically need to win out to get a spot in the finals (including Arizona).

Also, remember that everyone except TCU, K State, and ND will have to play an additional game against a top 20 team in their conference championship to stay alive for the playoffs.

It's great that we are one of the last 13 teams with a chance for the championship, but that all goes away with one loss. Beat Ucla! Beat ASSu! Bear Down!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I've been noticing the bad headlines this year regarding sec teams non-sec teams.

Even during the ESPN CFP show some said that they think Alabama is the best team in the nation because how well they are playing now. Let's just forget it's against terrible teams, let alone have a loss.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Alieberman wrote: Here are each teams remaining games vs current top 20

I've edited your list to pull out teams that already have a bad loss. A 1 loss team that already has a bad loss will probably be passed over for a 2 loss team that only had close losses to other top teams.

Removed from contention for bad losses:

Utah lost to Wash St
Ohio St lost to VA Tech
ASU crushed by UCLA 62-27
Baylor big loss to West Virginia 41-27

That leaves 13 teams with a chance for the final 4.

I bolded the teams who I think could still have 2 good losses and remain in the playoff picture. The rest of the teams realistically need to win out to get a spot in the finals (including Arizona).

Also, remember that everyone except TCU, K State, and ND will have to play an additional game against a top 20 team in their conference championship to stay alive for the playoffs.

It's great that we are one of the last 13 teams with a chance for the championship, but that all goes away with one loss. Beat Ucla! Beat ASSu! Bear Down!
Nice post, but I think any one-loss P12 Conference champion is likely to get the nod.

And that's good for us, because come season's end, our home loss to USC could end up being viewed as a bad one. The Trojans run the table from here in (which I do not expect) and it's not an issue. If they stumble coming in, and finish with only 6-7 wins, it will not help our cause or argument.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Harvey Specter wrote:Nice post, but I think any one-loss P12 Conference champion is likely to get the nod.

And that's good for us, because come season's end, our home loss to USC could end up being viewed as a bad one. The Trojans run the table from here in (which I do not expect) and it's not an issue. If they stumble coming in, and finish with only 6-7 wins, it will not help our cause or argument.
I'm assuming 2 spots are pretty much locks, one for the SEC champ and one for FSU (easiest schedule left). That leaves 2 spots up for grabs and I believe a 1 loss ASSu or Utah would lose when compared to any of the teams I listed who are still one loss or any of the possible 2 loss teams I bolded. They would need everyone to lose and the remaining SEC teams all to have 3 losses (or a terrible second loss) to make the playoffs.

A 2 pt loss by Arizona with a chance to win on the last play against USC won't be considered bad even if Steve gets his traditional 7 wins. The big brains on the committee will all point out USC is one of the most talented teams in the country and played their best against us. Much harder to justify Utah's or ASSu's losses.

But for now I only care about 2 things. Beat Ucla and beat ASSu! Bear Down!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Nice post, but I think any one-loss P12 Conference champion is likely to get the nod.

I'm assuming 2 spots are pretty much locks, one for the SEC champ and one for FSU (easiest schedule left). That leaves 2 spots up for grabs and I believe a 1 loss ASSu or Utah would lose when compared to any of the teams I listed who are still one loss or any of the possible 2 loss teams I bolded. They would need everyone to lose and the remaining SEC teams all to have 3 losses (or a terrible second loss) to make the playoffs.

A 2 pt loss by Arizona with a chance to win on the last play against USC won't be considered bad even if Steve gets his traditional 7 wins. The big brains on the committee will all point out USC is one of the most talented teams in the country and played their best against us. Much harder to justify Utah's or ASSu's losses.

But for now I only care about 2 things. Beat Ucla and beat ASSu! Bear Down!
It doesnt even need to get that complicated. A one loss Arizona team would most likely mean we beat Oregon twice. We would be in.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The one thing these rankings tell us is that no matter what we think this team is or isn't capable of, they have a shot to play for this. And at this point that's all you can ask.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:The one thing these rankings tell us is that no matter what we think this team is or isn't capable of, they have a shot to play for this. And at this point that's all you can ask.
Exactly. With 5 to play we're in the mix. Who'da thunk it?
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

UALoco wrote:SEC is the best conference until another conference steps up and proves otherwise. You have to "knock out" the champion.
Hard to knock them out when they play against each other for a championship...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... title-game

... glad there's a new format this year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I just want to make sure I'm clear here. A SEC team or Florida St has to come from behind to beat an inferior opponent it shows grit and tenacity, but if a Pac-12 team has to do the same it shows how over-rated they were. Do I have that right?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:I just want to make sure I'm clear here. A SEC team or Florida St has to come from behind to beat an inferior opponent it shows grit and tenacity, but if a Pac-12 team has to do the same it shows how over-rated they were. Do I have that right?
Yep, and when the top SEC teams beat up on each other, it's called cannibalizing, and when the top PAC-12 teams beat up on each other, it's called inconsistency.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That would be the ESPN narrative. LOL at all the Rolling Stone trolls calling the writer of that story a "bitter Florida State grad with an agenda."

Trust me, no FSU grad with an agenda writes that well, that true, or that on-point. The overbearing ESPN propaganda is being exposed for what it is, and as the corrupt TV contracts slowly get exposed, college sports are sadly the only thing that will suffer, ultimately.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azgreg wrote:I just want to make sure I'm clear here. A SEC team or Florida St has to come from behind to beat an inferior opponent it shows grit and tenacity, but if a Pac-12 team has to do the same it shows how over-rated they were. Do I have that right?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

This. Or if a Pac-12 team beats Oregon it's because of Oregon's deficiencies due to injury. However, if a team other than Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA loses due to deficiencies based off injuries, than it's because their "big win" was an anomaly.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

BMalo wrote:
This. Or if a Pac-12 team beats Oregon it's because of Oregon's deficiencies due to injury. However, if a team other than Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA loses due to deficiencies based off injuries, than it's because their "big win" was an anomaly.
Just listening to Cowherd make his picks on the way in. He's picking Oregon Stanford and says something to the effect of Oregon's only loss comes when they had an injured Oline and couldn't protect Mariota. Doesn't even mention Arizona as the opponent. He picks a few more games and then says UCLA Arizona - this is the only time he mentions AZ in the pick. He goes on to say Mora this and Mora that, and UCLA's going to start reeling off some W's and picks UCLA, but says it's going to be a fun game. I mean it's Cowherd so it's b.s. sweeping generalization zero analysis type of stuff and it really doesn't go to the SEC bias argument, but it's an example of how ESPNs intrinsic narrative glosses over the Pac-12 and only ever mentions those four programs.

I know that's a sweeping generalization too, but that's how it feels when you're an Arizona fan listening to these guys. Right after we beat Oregon ESPN's coverage was more about Neil Everett crying and being sad because his ducks lost. I like watching the CBSSports college football show. Those guys are more fun, they love RR and they give broader coverage to more programs.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

They marking it seem like Michigan States loss to Oregon is better the Arizonas win over Oregon. WTF! We will need to win every game and go undefeated to get respect and then they would still find a way to look over us. Well they only beat Oregon, USC, UCLA, ASU when the tempature was 33 Degress Celcius so those wins mean less. Get the FUCK out of here ESPN!!!!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Oregon gets the 4th spot while the STD's move into 9th. Utah, UCLA, and Arizona 17th, 18th, and 19th respectively.
Last edited by azgreg on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What are we?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1 Mississippi State 8-0
2 Florida State 8-0
3 Auburn 7-1
4 Oregon 8-1
5 Alabama 7-1
6 TCU 7-1
7 Kansas State 7-1
8 Michigan State 7-1
9 Arizona State 7-1
10 Notre Dame 7-1
11 Ole Miss 7-2
12 Baylor 7-1
13 Nebraska 8-1
14 Ohio State 7-1
15 Oklahoma 6-2
16 LSU 7-2
17 Utah 6-2
18 UCLA 7-2
19 Arizona 6-2
20 Georgia 6-2
21 Clemson 6-2
22 Duke 7-1
23 West Virginia 6-3
24 Georgia Tech 7-2
25 Wisconsin 6-2
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Depending on what Alabama does in OT, ASU could be #5 next week.

Can't wait to crush their dreams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Bama jumps Oregon?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Bama jumps Oregon?
because SEC!
SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

What do you expect? Alabama CRUSHED the future top ten team in LSU, while Oregon was a fluke play away from losing to a future not top 25 team.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Most people in SEC land...

"What's a Yute?"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

TOP 25 TEAMS, WEEK 12
USA TODAY Coaches Poll

RANK TEAM RECORD POINTS 1st Place Votes Prev CHANGE Hi/Low
1 Mississippi State 9-0 1528 41 1 0 1/NR
2 Florida State 9-0 1496 20 2 0 1/2
3 Alabama 8-1 1389 0 4 1 1/7
4 Oregon 9-1 1382 1 5 1 3/11
5 TCU 8-1 1297 0 7 2 7/NR
6 Baylor 8-1 1223 0 10 4 3/13
7 Ohio State 8-1 1148 0 11 4 6/20
8 Arizona State 8-1 1146 0 12 4 12/24
9 Auburn 7-2 962 0 3 -6 2/8
10 Ole Miss 8-2 944 0 13 3 3/19
11 Nebraska 8-1 925 0 14 3 14/22
12 Michigan State 7-2 865 0 6 -6 5/13
13 Kansas State 7-2 738 0 9 -4 9/25
14 Georgia 7-2 693 0 17 3 6/17
15 UCLA 8-2 662 0 18 3 7/NR
16 Notre Dame 7-2 654 0 8 -8 5/17
17 Clemson 7-2 500 0 19 2 16/NR
18 Arizona 7-2 487 0 21 3 13/NR <************
19 Duke 8-1 466 0 20 1 20/NR
20 LSU 7-3 371 0 15 -5 8/NR
21 Marshall 9-0 285 0 22 1 22/NR
22 Wisconsin 7-2 265 0 24 2 14/NR
23 Georgia Tech 8-2 142 0 28 5 23/NR
24 Oklahoma 6-3 135 0 16 -8 3/20
25 Colorado State 9-1 118 0 27 2 –
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

not playoff rankings, but espn's power rankings has the following to say about us:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/powerrankings
#17 Arizona
The Wildcats went from winning at Oregon to afterthought in the Pac-12. That's not going to change in the next three weeks.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

BMalo

Post by BMalo »

We should've beat USC and probably could've beat UCLA. We're still on pace to win 10 games which would be a fantastic accomplishment since it's only been done twice. Gotta come back stronger next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Bama jumps Oregon?

Good call.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

That was a hilarious no-call for PI on Bama last night on the last play. People kept saying you don't call that at that point in the game. Definitely would've been called in the Pac-12.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Oregon jumps Florida St.
ASSu up to 6th.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UofA is #14 this week and asu is #6.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PAC 12 bias
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:PAC 12 bias
Condoleeza flexing her muscles.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

The committee seems to like a 2 loss Arizona
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like how they really seam to make a new one each time. Not just move teams up or down based on wins or loses.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:I like how they really seam to make a new one each time. Not just move teams up or down based on wins or loses.
Agree with you 100% they look at each week and adjust it accordingly. Like how fsu was bumped even though the won!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Lets be honest here, in August who among us would have expected us to be this far into the season and still have a shot at the payoffs with a #14 CFP ranking?

Not a single one of us. Beating Oregon gave us all some overblown hopes of banging the hottest girl in school. Well, we are almost there and good lord if we win out we are still in. If we lose one more game, we have 9 wins with the chance for 10, which is WELL ahead of where we should be right now. I know it burns seeing Toad Graham looking better right now but we will crush them in the long run as far as consistency and stability is concerned. I have no doubt about that.

Especially when he bolts for Michigan at the end of the year.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

In a way I want wristbands to stay up north and we crush him on a regular basis but would like his punk ass gone!