2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:we haven't had anybody drafted in like half the drafts in recent years.

That's because we are a horribly bad football program. We suck bad and are one of the very worst D1 programs in existence
All due to bad fans! -- Machina

But true words. UA has not had a sole conference championship since the 1940's Border Conference. Not even in the WAC.

No UA QB has taken a snap in the NFL in the PAC era (1978) until Nick Foles came along, and even then Michigan State and Mike Stoops didn't recognize his talent. If it wasn't for Matt Scott being such a shitty QB Foles might now be working at Buffalo Wild Wings with Willie Tuitama.
The crazy thing is that even with all that...we're not that bad of a program in the grand scheme of things. We're rarely every really good and we're rarely ever really bad. We're always just "meh/ok". We're one of the very few programs in America that has never had a winless season, not even something that USC or Alabama can claim. But we also have no real championships or accomplishments anytime recently. Just a permanent .500% winning program.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

In the world’s most unsurprising news:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/04/ ... be-played/

Paywall, but the available first sentence tells you all you need to know.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That brings up something I've been curious about. Assuming this season doesn't happen, will we have to reschedule the OOC games we have lined up, or will both teams just forget it since future games are scheduled so far in advance.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:we haven't had anybody drafted in like half the drafts in recent years.

That's because we are a horribly bad football program. We suck bad and are one of the very worst D1 programs in existence
All due to bad fans! -- Machina

But true words. UA has not had a sole conference championship since the 1940's Border Conference. Not even in the WAC.

No UA QB has taken a snap in the NFL in the PAC era (1978) until Nick Foles came along, and even then Michigan State and Mike Stoops didn't recognize his talent. If it wasn't for Matt Scott being such a shitty QB Foles might now be working at Buffalo Wild Wings with Willie Tuitama.
Having no fans in the stands hurts recruiting but the main reason is RR has his OKGs which are fast but small guys who can be good college players but won’t do anything in the nfl.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I think it gets pushed to spring. Basketball and football at the same time sort of deal
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catinfl wrote:I think it gets pushed to spring. Basketball and football at the same time sort of deal
What will be different in November compared to July?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catinfl wrote:I think it gets pushed to spring. Basketball and football at the same time sort of deal
Yeah like I've heard internet rumor wise, instead of a labor day through first weekend of December season it'd be around February 1 to mid May with bowls being from around memorial day until the like second weekend of June

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Yeah like I've heard internet rumor wise, instead of a labor day through first weekend of December season it'd be around February 1 to mid May with bowls being from around memorial day until the like second weekend of June
Again what will be different with COVID-19 in November than July? Those are the months the team will need to start training for the season if it is on time or pushed back. We wont have a vaccine for either and you are so positive that things will be bad this winter so what will be different?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

All of you internet DRs don't know shit about the Covid Industry.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jabar Triplett tore his Achilles and is out for the season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Jabar Triplett tore his Achilles and is out for the season.

A player tore his Achilles during COVID-19 lockdown?

That is so Arizona.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:

That is so Arizona.
Fucking COVID 19
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Good thing we're very deep at linebacker. :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

That is so Arizona.
I’m kind of just happy incoming freshmen are staying in shape.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Now I think this season will happen, just because it's fate that Arizona Football has to play shorthanded.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

can i get an updated over/under win total from you, Chi?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Line is 4.5 on wins BTW
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Line is 4.5 on wins BTW
definitely would take the under on that, confidently too. Anything more than 2-3 wins this year is a success.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:can i get an updated over/under win total from you, Chi?
Heart: “12-0”

Head: “LOL Heart, gimme some of that good shit you’re smoking you stoned dumbfuck!”

Heart: “My goodness. No need to be a bully.”

Head: “Shut your fuckin’ pie hole you pussy. I can’t wait until the bacon does it’s job and shuts you up for good.”

Based on that convo, I’m going with...

3-9
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The Arizona Wildcats have a 1.2 percent chance of winning the Pac-12 South Division this fall, according to ESPN’s FPI (Football Power Index) rankings.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... RnBQ1BIqMw" target="_blank
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:The Arizona Wildcats have a 1.2 percent chance of winning the Pac-12 South Division this fall, according to ESPN’s FPI (Football Power Index) rankings.

Which is lower than the chance that, for the first time in the history of college football, the entire season will be cancelled, correct???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

pc in NM wrote:
Merkin wrote:The Arizona Wildcats have a 1.2 percent chance of winning the Pac-12 South Division this fall, according to ESPN’s FPI (Football Power Index) rankings.

Which is lower than the chance that, for the first time in the history of college football, the entire season will be cancelled, correct???
That and the possibility that there will be two 2021 seasons...

...one from January - April
...and one from August - November

Wouldn't that be a great to have the College Basketball and Football Championships on back to back nights?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MountainCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Wouldn't that be a great to have the College Basketball and Football Championships on back to back nights?
I don’t see how you can have a season in winter then come back in fall. Does not work out for recruiting, the nfl, tv networks, the bowls or for the athletes and their recovery
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

I don’t see how you can have a season in winter then come back in fall. Does not work out for recruiting, the nfl, tv networks, the bowls or for the athletes and their recovery
The networks you are correct, but recruiting could be done before the season starts and the NFL draft would be on time. It’s not perfect, but could work. May have to reduce to an 11 game season to make it work though. That way the SEC Can drop another conference game and only have to play seven, while the rest of us will play nine - almost guaranteeing to three SEC teams the national championship playoffs... ;)
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

OVER (clap, clap) RATED (clap, clap)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pc in NM wrote:

Obligatory

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

After years of less than mediocrity, i think that the fans have turned on this program. And I think I'm one of them.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:After years of less than mediocrity, i think that the fans have turned on this program. And I think I'm one of them.
It's really hard when the head coach shows very little interest in winning. At least with Miller, he still has passion.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:After years of less than mediocrity, i think that the fans have turned on this program. And I think I'm one of them.
It's really hard when the head coach shows very little interest in winning. At least with Miller, he still has passion.
True, but we have Grant and this kid is all about winning. We filled some holes on the OL going the Juco route and we will see if that pays off keeping Grant upright? Excited to see what this kid can do when he is QB1.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ence-games" target="_blank

LOS ANGELES -- The Pac-12 has discussed an 11-game regular season played solely against conference opponents as one possibility for keeping college football going this year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Southern California coach Clay Helton confirmed the all-conference idea Monday as one of several scenarios being evaluated by the Pac-12's coaches and administrators.

"It's been discussed in our Pac-12 meetings, and it's been discussed by the commissioners," Helton said on a video conference call with Stanford coach David Shaw and new Washington State coach Nick Rolovich.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ence-games

LOS ANGELES -- The Pac-12 has discussed an 11-game regular season played solely against conference opponents as one possibility for keeping college football going this year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Southern California coach Clay Helton confirmed the all-conference idea Monday as one of several scenarios being evaluated by the Pac-12's coaches and administrators.

"It's been discussed in our Pac-12 meetings, and it's been discussed by the commissioners," Helton said on a video conference call with Stanford coach David Shaw and new Washington State coach Nick Rolovich.
That's nice and all but there won't be any home games played in Oregon or California as it stands today. Both states have said that until there is a vaccine or a widely available and reliable antiviral treatment they won't be allowing large gatherings like concerts or sporting events.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Combine this with this:
and.....................
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote: Combine this with this:
and.....................
Which is why I think that any NCAA sports being played before fall 2021 are a pipe dream. Isn't going to happen. Maybe tennis and some track and golf can be done but not much else.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The SEC is playing football in the fall unless shit gets really really crazy. I would bet any amount of money on that.

Any D1 team that does not play will be fucked over financially forever. Football will be played in fall. The amount of people in the stands is the question. If you care about any sports besides football you are praying for fans in the stands in fall.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:The SEC is playing football in the fall unless shit gets really really crazy. I would bet any amount of money on that.

Any D1 team that does not play will be fucked over financially forever. Football will be played in fall. The amount of people in the stands is the question. If you care about any sports besides football you are praying for fans in the stands in fall.
The sec can kill their students and fans if they want but no west coast/responsible state teams will be playing this fall.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The SEC is playing football in the fall unless shit gets really really crazy. I would bet any amount of money on that.

The sec can kill their students and fans if they want but no west coast/responsible state teams will be playing this fall.
You saying this makes me more confident that football is coming in fall in the PAC-12
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Anyone speaking in absolutes on this topic is a fucking idiot.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote: The sec can kill their students and fans if they want but no west coast/responsible state teams will be playing this fall.
Alieberman wrote:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: The sec can kill their students and fans if they want but no west coast/responsible state teams will be playing this fall.
Alieberman wrote:
There are idiots on both sides.

Here's what I know to be fact:

No one has a fucking clue what our world is going to be like in 4 months.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Yup. Which is why it is nonsensical to think college sports will be played in 3 1/2 months

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:

agree et ALL!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:Any D1 team that does not play will be fucked over financially forever.
I don't buy it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Any D1 team that does not play will be fucked over financially forever.
I don't buy it.
Football funds all other sports. It is a fact that many D1 men's basketball teams lose money.

If you do not play you do not get ticket revenue or tv revenue but you still are gonna have some expenses including scholarships for athletes and salaries for coaches and staff in the Athletic Department. Layoffs and sports being cut will be mandatory. You will also fall far behind other schools that do play in terms of donations for resources and upgrades.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I don't buy it.
Football funds all other sports. It is a fact that many D1 men's basketball teams lose money.

If you do not play you do not get ticket revenue or tv revenue but you still are gonna have some expenses including scholarships for athletes and salaries for coaches and staff in the Athletic Department. Layoffs and sports being cut will be mandatory. You will also fall far behind other schools that do play in terms of donations for resources and upgrades.
I guess that's why SMU never played sports again.

No matter what happens it will come back. There's too much money involved for people to just let it go.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah sports won't be gone forever, but I think there's too much against college sports happening in the fall right now.

On the bright side, if we do end up playing with no fans in the stands, our team won't notice the difference. :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sec appears to be going full steam ahead on pretending the virus isn't happening. There are rumors of the PAC 12 playing just 11 games in a round robin against each other in their own separate season in the spring. Other rumors of other conferences having teams play home and homes against each other if some schools don't have open campuses or are in states that haven't allowed large gatherings again.

We'll probably see a disjointed season with half of college football pretending everything is fine and playing a "regular" season starting at the end of August and then some schools not playing at all and some having separate delayed seasons or partial seasons.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Honest question for you hater, what do you feel the actual mortality rate of COVID-19 is? Meaning factoring in that many people have it that have not been tested for it at this point.

We need to protect the vulnerable and we are not ready yet to go back to normal, but starting the process slowly and smartly is not the same is "pretending the virus isn't happening"
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I heard TCU and Bama are talking about playing a game because both were supposed to play California teams on same weekend.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ASUHATER! wrote:Sec appears to be going full steam ahead on pretending the virus isn't happening. There are rumors of the PAC 12 playing just 11 games in a round robin against each other in their own separate season in the spring. Other rumors of other conferences having teams play home and homes against each other if some schools don't have open campuses or are in states that haven't allowed large gatherings again.
I actually wanted to suggest that yesterday as a joke, but thought it was too silly...
ASUHATER! wrote:We'll probably see a disjointed season with half of college football pretending everything is fine and playing a "regular" season starting at the end of August and then some schools not playing at all and some having separate delayed seasons or partial seasons.
I just don't see how the NCAA can have a season when not every school can play. Though if the SEC just wants to be idiots on their own I say let them.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Sec appears to be going full steam ahead on pretending the virus isn't happening. There are rumors of the PAC 12 playing just 11 games in a round robin against each other in their own separate season in the spring. Other rumors of other conferences having teams play home and homes against each other if some schools don't have open campuses or are in states that haven't allowed large gatherings again.
I actually wanted to suggest that yesterday as a joke, but thought it was too silly...
ASUHATER! wrote:We'll probably see a disjointed season with half of college football pretending everything is fine and playing a "regular" season starting at the end of August and then some schools not playing at all and some having separate delayed seasons or partial seasons.
I just don't see how the NCAA can have a season when not every school can play. Though if the SEC just wants to be idiots on their own I say let them.
The NCAA already came out and said that they can't/won't have an all encompassing order to all their members on when they should play. Basically that they aren't overriding what local and state governments say. So that opens it up to random and disjointed seasons across the sport with different schools not playing or playing at different times or playing different schedules.