2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:So players are safer on campus?
They're safest at home quarantined not participating in football activities or in classrooms...just like every other American.
How about NBA players?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Even safer in isolation cells.
That logic failed many when they let prisoners free due to fear of COVID.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
They're safest at home quarantined not participating in football activities or in classrooms...just like every other American.
How about NBA players?
You mean isolated in a bubble and not allowed to leave weeks before the season started in a situation that's roughly 0% similar to what college football was going to be like?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
How about NBA players?
You mean isolated in a bubble and not allowed to leave weeks before the season started in a situation that's roughly 0% similar to what college football was going to be like?
Did your parents have any children that lived Hater?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's like arguing with a rock

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Choo and Machina ... what do you think is going to happen with Big 12 / SEC this year? Rank these 3 options from greatest odds of happening to worst odds.

A) Same as Pac / Big 10
B) Have a complete Fall season
C) Be shut down in the middle of the season with many teams having large outbreaks
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

No way theses college football players can isolate themselves for the entire fall semester. Look at what happened at Villanova, https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles ... fety-rules" target="_blank.

This happened at UNC, https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/15/us/unive ... index.html" target="_blank.

The odds right now are not looking good that the Fall season will be completed without a vaccine.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

The Australian Football League (that's Australian Rules) has isolated all teams in bubbles that are considered 'safe' in Queensland and South Australia (maybe Western Australia too, I haven't paid THAT much attention).

EVERY WEEK, EVERY DAMN WEEK, somebody breaks quarantine and has to go into 2 weeks self-isolation to gain reentry into the bubble (not to mention the fines and humiliation).

These are NOT college kids away from home for the first time trying to find the boundaries of social existence. These are fully adult professionals. Some have been coaches even.

This is after months of trying to figure out how to get things to work. Weeks of going to the trouble of moving their families to the quarantine bubble and teaching everyone what life in the bubble is about etc. etc. Players, Coaches, Staff, Administrators, EVERYONE has undergone training about what it means and has theoretically vowed to help make it work.

But some folks still think its just a holiday on the Gold Coast and continue to do what the hell they want.

You really think College kids are going to stay in 'the bubble' for an entire season? What universe are you living in?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

9 Oklahoma Sooners test positive after coming back from break, https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ning-break" target="_blank.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Choo and Machina ... what do you think is going to happen with Big 12 / SEC this year? Rank these 3 options from greatest odds of happening to worst odds.

A) Same as Pac / Big 10
C) Be shut down in the middle of the season with many teams having large outbreaks
Brother, let me make it clear I’m not taking this debate seriously at all, I’m literally 99% trolling at this point except when asking Hater if his parents were able to continue in their gene pool with actual functional children, I was serious with that question.

A, C, B in that order. The PAC 12 and B1G will leverage the media as hard as possible to ensure the other conferences follow.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Choo and Machina ... what do you think is going to happen with Big 12 / SEC this year? Rank these 3 options from greatest odds of happening to worst odds.

A) Same as Pac / Big 10
Brother, let me make it clear I’m not taking this debate seriously at all, I’m literally 99% trolling at this point except when asking Hater if his parents were able to continue in their gene pool with actual functional children, I was serious with that question.

A, C, B in that order. The PAC 12 and B1G will leverage the media as hard as possible to ensure the other conferences follow.
Always good to know when people are so defeated and shut down in arguments that all they have left are personal attacks. You got nothing left at this point I guess.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

A) Same as Pac / Big 10

Always good to know when people are so defeated and shut down in arguments that all they have left are personal attacks. You got nothing left at this point I guess.
You never answered my question.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

A) Same as Pac / Big 10

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

A) Same as Pac / Big 10
A
B
C

Like Choo said the PAC-12 and Big Ten are gonna do everything they can to try to get the other conferences to quit
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'll repeat. Anyone who values having sports over community health and human life is a piece of shit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:let me make it clear I’m not taking this debate seriously at all, I’m literally 99% trolling at this point
How wonderful for you that you can be so flippant when discussing a disease that’s taken hundreds of thousands of lives, including those who were loved by the very posters you’re trolling. Congrats on overcoming decency.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

No shit. While I don't know anyone personally who's died I've had to help comfort my wife and her sore back after multiple overtime shifts of hauling bodies into bags the last 5 months. Congrats to choo indeed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:let me make it clear I’m not taking this debate seriously at all, I’m literally 99% trolling at this point
How wonderful for you that you can be so flippant when discussing a disease that’s taken hundreds of thousands of lives, including those who were loved by the very posters you’re trolling. Congrats on overcoming decency.
Thanks Chi, that means a lot to me.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:No shit. While I don't know anyone personally who's died I've had to help comfort my wife and her sore back after multiple overtime shifts of hauling bodies into bags the last 5 months. Congrats to choo indeed.
I appreciate the congrats from the shallow gene pool a little less, but thanks anyways.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:No shit. While I don't know anyone personally who's died I've had to help comfort my wife and her sore back after multiple overtime shifts of hauling bodies into bags the last 5 months. Congrats to choo indeed.
I appreciate the congrats from the shallow gene pool a little less, but thanks anyways.
At this point you're wading into territory where you may need to be banned

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if Choo knows that Chicat's grandmother died due to Covid-19 and now wants to walk back his statements?

NCAA chief medical officer speaks overnight, gives grim outlook for college football

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/ ... 7ynO0SFKDE" target="_blank

In case you were sleeping like any sane human being would be, NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline appeared on CNN just after midnight on Sunday morning and didn’t provide much optimism about the chances of college football or any college sport for the time being.

I am yet to find any video of his appearance to link to but thanks to the likes of Chris Vannini and Nicole Auerbach on Twitter, we were able to get the most-significant of quotes from Hainline’s appearance.

“The pathway to play sports is so exceedingly narrow right now. Everything would have to line up perfectly.”
“If testing stays as it is, there’s no way we could go forward with sports.”
Added the greater risk is regular students resocializing on campuses. Says that could be “the downfall” if schools can’t handle that.
If you’re hoping college football gets played by the ACC, Big 12 and SEC in less than a month, it’s not the kind of comments you want to wake up to be reading today.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:I wonder if Choo knows that Chicat's grandmother died due to Covid-19 and now wants to walk back his statements?
No need. Relieving Choo’s boredom is what’s most important here. I’m just happy he has a place to troll to relieve whatever mental anguish he may be feeling at not having sports to watch. And I’m sure my Nana would agree. She always had her priorities in order.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: At this point you're wading into territory where you may need to be banned
Put it up for a vote. Your opinion means nothing to me.
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:I wonder if Choo knows that Chicat's grandmother died due to Covid-19 and now wants to walk back his statements?
No need. Relieving Choo’s boredom is what’s most important here. I’m just happy he has a place to troll to relieve whatever mental anguish he may be feeling at not having sports to watch. And I’m sure my Nana would agree. She always had her priorities in order.
Sorry about your grandmother.

Thanks for relieving my boredom. Have a good one guys.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: At this point you're wading into territory where you may need to be banned
Put it up for a vote. Your opinion means nothing to me.
Chicat wrote:
Sorry about your grandmother.

Thanks for relieving my boredom. Have a good one guys.
Appreciate that.

Nothing anyone has said is ban worthy. Not sure why that even came up. Just give as good as you get.

I do find it somewhat crazy though that there’s very little middle ground here. For example...
Feels like everyone you hear talking, is talking for everyone.

But in a practical manner, why don’t these players forego their remaining eligibility and get together with the agents to form their own semi-pro minor leagues or to join with the XFL? Why try and force the schools to do something they are unwilling to do?
prh

Post by prh »

Anyone think that the Big 10 and Pac12 (especially the Pac12) are thinking that pushing football to spring would seriously hurt the SEC schools (and to a lesser extend, ACC) from a competitive standpoint? Since one of the biggest issues with spring football is draftable players sitting out, that would disproportionally affect top teams and especially SEC.

I'm not sure that the boost for Pac12 would outweigh the problems caused by spring football, but it seems like one of things where Larry Scott thinks he's going to outsmart other leagues and in reality just fuck it all up. And the Big10 commissioner doesn't seem a whole lot smarter either.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

A) Same as Pac / Big 10

ESPN's SEC Network is hosting a big scheduling release show tonight, 7PM EST. Which I find kind've ridiculous given how uncertain the season already is.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The NCAA's chief medical officer painted a bleak picture on the outlook of playing college football during the coronavirus pandemic. Without more rigorous testing, he believes, college sports are likely to be canceled altogether.

In an appearance on CNN, Dr. Brian Hainline said that without an improvement in nationwide testing, "there's no way we can go forward with sports."

Hainline added that "everything would have to line up perfectly" for fall sports, including football to be played.
Well, there’s no chance we are going to get to daily tests of everyone involved, so that certainly doesn’t bode well.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Irresponsible southern conferences like the SEC and big 12 are still going to try to infect all their students anyway

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

People being dense, and people being dense. SEC might as well just call it a day and move on.
ASUHATER! wrote:Irresponsible southern conferences like the SEC and big 12 are still going to try to infect all their students anyway
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not exactly sure how it is at bars around campus at night but during the day people are somewhat distanced and wearing masks from what I've seen this last weekend.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Heard this exchange between Petros Papadakis from Fox Sports LA 570AM and Clay Travis on his show the other morning, voicing hesitance about the future of Pac 12 football:

Papadakis:
“There's a lot of LA sports raging right now, the Chargers and the Rams are in pads, except you hear nothing from USC. USC doesn't act like a blue blood like the rest of these college football programs, like I looked at the headlines yesterday for college football, and I saw Auburn has a bunch of cases but they're pushing forward. I saw the SEC come out with a schedule. I saw a petition come out that Justin Fields was starting. I saw a petition from parents of Big Ten schools - Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan specifically. I saw all these different things happening with everybody pushing forward and fighting for their players. Whether you think it's right, whether you think it's wrong, these people are pushing and fighting, and trying to fulfill their promise to the players which is we are going to showcase you and give you your moment. Scott Frost won't shut up, you know. Brohm was trying to map out a schedule. Not that it'll do anything or help anybody but at least if you're on those teams you feel like guys want to play and a lot of those teams aren't even blue bloods.

And at USC you know what the headline was yesterday? Social Justice backpacks. For all the athletes. Which is great but can't you do that and also act like you kind've want to play football too? And it's just amazing to me the weakness and the limpness of the programs out west particularly with what's supposed to be flagship USC. They just don't act like a blue blood program anymore."

Clay Travis:
"The SEC's tagline is It Just Means More. I do agree with you in the sense the Pac 12 tagline might as well be It Just Means Less. Even if you are upset about the Big Ten cancellation at least there's a big fight over the Big Ten being cancelled. There's no parent organization rising up angry over the sports being cancelled in the Pac 12. It seems as if everybody is just going to take that decision lying down and not combat it in anyway.”

Papadakis:
"Yea, and for me USC has got to carry that torch. And maybe it's regional and obviously very political because that's a part of this, but I just can't imagine a guy like Pete Carroll or John McCay or John Robinson - any USC Coach I've ever been around that won a championship - I can't imagine any of these guys taking this lying down and acting like - hey it's all good, we're going to take a year off. I don't see it being a great recruiting tool to keep the California guys who are already pledging to Alabama and Clemson. Those guys ten years ago would go to USC and UCLA respectively. And everybody is still going to recruit here in Southern California and use it as their campground for greatness and the bigger time college football here is going to be left behind. Ultimately it comes down to who's the coach and it's Clay Helton and it benefits him to not play...when they get on the field they embarrass themselves. Looking at the headlines yesterday that really jumped out to me - everybody is fighting for the players and here USC is giving out rainbow backpacks."

Clay Travis:
"It looks very bad for the Big Ten and Pac 12 right now. Can you imagine if the SEC which released it's ten game schedule and the Big 12 and the ACC manage to play complete seasons in the Fall, how bad it would look?"

Papadakis:
“Here in California our kids can't even go to school...we don't seem bent on doing anything here. The question is what if the Pac 12 doesn't play football this season? The Big Ten will be fine. Whatever they end up doing. They make a ton of money and will take a hit this year obviously but it's been financially healthy because of the network deal they did and all of those schools, even the crappy ones, are in great shape. That is not the case in the Pac 12. We're hemorrhaging money for years because of our terrible network deal Larry Scott bestowed upon the conference. They have no leverage for their next deal and I'm really scared if you don't have a Phil Knight or the cash at USC who has the money but not the will anymore to be elite and I wonder what a lot of these Pac 12 schools come out looking like? They're probably going to come out of it looking a lot more like the Mountain West."

YIKES :shock:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Clay Travis calls anyone who takes COVID-19 serious "corona bros".

I think the SEC will find out soon enough.

We'll see what happens...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So Petro is basically saying it's probably not smart for these schools that are fighting to push through but the PAC looks bad for not giving the appearance of looking like idiots?

Did I get that right?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd actually argue that it looks bad for the big 12 and sec...

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Clay Travis is one of the biggest morons on earth. He probably has blood on his hands based off of how he created his little “it’s just the flu” following that he never backs down from. Even though every other first world country with competent leadership has handled it way better than us. Clay Travis moves the goal posts every week trying to stay “positive” and leading his sheep. He’s been successful though, shows how many idiots there are and how easy it is to make a buck in this country if you are fine selling your soul and acting like a buffoon in public.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Clay Travis absolutely has blood on his hands when it comes to Covid. I guess Petros wants a little of that as well.

Clay Travis is also a White Supremacist. He’s just not on the right side of morality.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

UAEebs86 wrote:Clay Travis calls anyone who takes COVID-19 serious "corona bros".

I think the SEC will find out soon enough.

We'll see what happens...
Yea these mouth-breathing, SEC-means-more idiots make it really hard not to root for the virus. Good thing we don’t have to root for the virus since it is, you know, reality. Clay Travis and his clan have their heads in the sand and couldn’t be more selfish. The only way they will change their tune is if the virus affects them personally. Even if the SEC shuts down mid-season they will call the commissioner a cuck probably.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This thing is going to be the end of college football as we know it, one way or the other
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

84Cat wrote:
Can't wait for them to play one game then shut it down since they have a combined 100 cases

prh

Post by prh »

Apparently Kevin Warren's son plays for Miss State and has not opted out. That's...interesting
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I honestly don’t give a fuck anymore. This whole thing makes me realize how little it all matters. Let the cultures that having nothing else to live for play their games and pay whatever price is exacted. Let the NCAA crumble under its own fetid weight. If Arizona has a football team 3 years from now, I’ll cheer for them whether they are in the Pac 12 or not. If the Pac 12 implodes it deserves its fate. If college sports goes under completely, maybe we can work toward a more equitable use of those resources. In the meantime, let it all burn down.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I honestly don’t give a fuck anymore. This whole thing makes me realize how little it all matters. Let the cultures that having nothing else to live for play their games and pay whatever price is exacted. Let the NCAA crumble under its own fetid weight. If Arizona has a football team 3 years from now, I’ll cheer for them whether they are in the Pac 12 or not. If the Pac 12 implodes it deserves its fate. If college sports goes under completely, maybe we can work toward a more equitable use of those resources. In the meantime, let it all burn down.
I 10000000% agree with this. Summed up my feelings now perfectly.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I honestly don’t give a fuck anymore. This whole thing makes me realize how little it all matters. Let the cultures that having nothing else to live for play their games and pay whatever price is exacted. Let the NCAA crumble under its own fetid weight. If Arizona has a football team 3 years from now, I’ll cheer for them whether they are in the Pac 12 or not. If the Pac 12 implodes it deserves its fate. If college sports goes under completely, maybe we can work toward a more equitable use of those resources. In the meantime, let it all burn down.
I’m with ya. One of the things I’ve started to say to people is: “I’m not going to care about your life more than you care about your life. Good luck.”

And it doesn’t just end with sports.

Let the creative destruction begin. Cleanse it with fire.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup. If college sports and the UA still has teams in a year or two or three then awesome, if not, oh well.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol at these kids thinking they'll be able to play a full season anywhere this fall. They're getting such terrible advice.