Merkin

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by Merkin »

Helicopter father.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:Helicopter father.
Right. He’s giving them terrible advice. His reply to Sumlin’s press conference yesterday was “SMH.”

What an asshole.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Adios. What happens to them if or when the fall season is cancelled?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Supposedly the Schoolers were never going to play in the spring if the season even happened. Instead they were looking towards the draft. Whether you think that is a good decision or not, if you take that into consideration the decision to transfer makes more sense. They have indicated that they wanted to play the season and therefore, they are just trying to find somewhere they can do that or at least improve their chances of playing.

Now if we want to talk about their NFL chances, I'm going with slim to none.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote:Supposedly the Schoolers were never going to play in the spring if the season even happened. Instead they were looking towards the draft. Whether you think that is a good decision or not, if you take that into consideration the decision to transfer makes more sense. They have indicated that they wanted to play the season and therefore, they are just trying to find somewhere they can do that or at least improve their chances of playing.

Now if we want to talk about their NFL chances, I'm going with slim to none.
Agreed with every thing here and it’s also very accurate.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Alieberman wrote:So Petro is basically saying it's probably not smart for these schools that are fighting to push through but the PAC looks bad for not giving the appearance of looking like idiots?

Did I get that right?
Yes, and Petros’ disappointment agrees that while us western states are exercising a responsibility to address this pandemic we’re all in, to include the lesser position it’s putting the Pac 12 in, he’s ALSO bemoaning that the SEC is exercising what they see as a responsibility to play college football at all costs, even at the risk of public health, and will subsequently be in a stronger position when it comes to recruiting, TV deals, raising booster money, keeping concessions going, etc. Of course this all assuming that the SEC/ACC/B12 can go through with their football seasons, AND that it doesn't completely blow up in their faces.

This pandemic has really forced the realization of what we as individuals or regions view as vital for us. If day to day living is as much as anything else about identifying what we are responsible for and how to go about addressing those responsibilities, here in California responsibility is practiced as mitigating the pandemic dispute inconveniences to our educational and economic routines and expectations. Meanwhile, the south is unapologetically forthright that having a college football season is the superceding responsibility.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Lol at these kids thinking they'll be able to play a full season anywhere this fall. They're getting such terrible advice.
So much for playing as brothers at Arizona... ... go play for LSU or Alabama, I'm sure there will be no competition.

Sorry - The NCAA should have shut things down overall a month ago once it was known that some were going to self shutdown. This won't be the last as others from all over the country will do the same. If the NCAA is leaving it to the conferences to take the heat, and letting the rich get richer, then maybe the NCAA should just quit and cease to exist. (oh, what a novel concept)
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That’s was hilarious but sad the Pac wasn’t even a player in a skit
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thought the same this J, and totally accurate of how the pac is thought of by the other conferences.

Just an afterthought. Not even important enough for the skit.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thought the same this J, and totally accurate of how the pac is thought of by the other conferences.

Just an afterthought. Not even important enough for the skit.
I respectfully disagree.

The Pac wasn't in that skit because the PAC is the only conference not embarrassing itself. It's hard to make fun of the Pac. (on this issue)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Um...in the skit, the big 10 walked as well.

I agree that the pac 12 is doing the right thing.

For a comedic skit about the conference’s, the pac12 is an afterthought to the world of college football and not worth being even included in that authors interpretation.

Has Covid and trump ruined everything that now causal banter is thought of as a political statement?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes I doubt the skit was done out of respect for our decision. It’s what CST said, an afterthought
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Going to see a lot of this.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We'll see what happens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

More of the same from our friends Clay Travis and Petros Papadakos:

Clay:
“Obviously you’re a huge college football fan, and…I want to ask you this question right off the top – obviously Big 10 parents, Big 10 coaches, Big 10 fans have been incredibly outspoken about how upset they are that their season was cancelled, yet we’ve heard nothing from anyone in the Pac 12. No coaches. No players. No fans to speak of. Why do you think that is?”

Petros:
“…there’s a few reasons. I think the political leadership in most of the states that are in the Pac 12 are pretty the opposite of what the political leadership is in SEC country. And, really polar opposites. And the Big 10 is somewhere in the middle. And they have a lot of really upset people who are letting their voices be heard. On the West Coast it feels like if you’re an advocate for playing football or an advocate for kids fulfilling your promise to them – something that Nick Saban has finally started talking about; and all of these very pro-cancellation college football writers will still write what Nick Saban says like it’s Moses coming down from the mountain. And Nick Saban is right. They promised these kids an opportunity. These are not opportunities that are really fulfill-able if you just sit around for a year. Football is not like that. It’s going to have detrimental effects on a lot of guys for a lot of different reasons. But it really just feels like politics are different on the west coast. And I think a lot of the writers who are reporting within thirty seconds positive tests on college campuses without mentioning hospitalizations to avoid the nuances of the story, they’re just putting out headlines to frighten people. Using words like the virus is raging! Those guys are all on the west coast it feels like. Anytime I tweet something like the high school kids are getting screwed over right now with football being played around the country but not here on the West Coast – whenever I tweet anything like that I get shouted down about the science or you want people to die! And I don’t understand how somehow football became the one sport for this. Look, the letter of intent the players sign says you’re going to give the opportunity to play football and they’re not doing that in the Pac 12 or Big 10 right now. And sadly those are the conferences that Fox has a TV deal with. We lost somewhere close to a hundred games and they told me the other day I might call only one or two games this year. Which is a tremendous hit to me but that’s not really what I’m upset about. I’m upset that West Coast football is basically dead. The Big 10 can handle the financial hit but west coast football can’t and it doesn’t seem like anybody out here is willing to fight for it.”

Clay:
“They’re a lot of people fighting for the Big 10…none of that seems to be materializing in the Pac 12. No one is lighting a fire like Kevin Warren has under him.”

Petros:
“Part of that is because Larry Scott has ruined the Pac 12 long before the coronavirus. This is just a shovel of graveyard dirt on top of it. And part of it is weak leadership which in the Big Ten you see people fighting against. Whether Warren did the right thing or not he’s certainly hasn’t handled it well in the aftermath. And Larry Scott has always been a toothless leader. Always. And now the conference looks a lot like him: Weak. Another big part is the flagship program in the Pac 12 is much more comfortable in neutral, not playing, and not being at risk of embarrassment – that being USC. USC is great when they don’t play football. Colin Cowherd can talk about how great their social media is but it’s only when USC plays that they become an embarrassment. And everybody starts wondering when the coach is going to get fired. So imagine the Big Ten if Ohio State didn’t want to play, and that’s basically what we have in the Pac 12. Except the Big Ten can sustain the financial hit. The Pac 12 cannot because they did a terrible TV deal; they’re not going to survive this.”
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well, this isn't unexpected.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
I am sure many fans will miss the tailgates, but it's pretty sad if you can't find anything to fill the time on Saturdays.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I am sure many fans will miss the tailgates, but it's pretty sad if you can't find anything to fill the time on Saturdays.
I think Lev is going after the sad-sack useless idiot who honestly has nothing to fill his time on Saturdays.

"What am I going to do? Talk to my family?!?!"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol seriously
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

IIRC today was going to be opening day for Arizona football. :(
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

If it helps any Austin Peay and Central Arkansas will play tonight on the ESPN networks
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I saw somewhere that Gus Malzahn tested positive and may have exposed 8 players.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

AZ Desert Swarm is doing a virtual game against Hawaii. It's going pretty much how you'd expect.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

What a very Arizona way to end the game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Oh no we suck again!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Literally the most Arizona way to start the season ever and completely fitting.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It was the gradients on the sleeves, those suck. I thought they got rid of those?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

wyo-cat wrote:I saw somewhere that Gus Malzahn tested positive and may have exposed 8 players.
SEC coaches will figure out that they won’t have to answer questions if they explain away roster holes as players protesting rather than players quarantining. And I wouldn’t put it past programs like Alabama to try to force a herd immunity by exposing the entire roster.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:It was the gradients on the sleeves, those suck. I thought they got rid of those?
It's being played in the 7 year old NCAA '14 video game so you're stuck with every teams 2013 uniforms in it.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God dammit, another shitshow to start the seasons.

Fire Rumlin
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

He’ll be forgotten in about three days
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Former All-Pac 12 Oregon OL Geoff Schwartz on Clay Travis’ radio show talking Pac 12 football:

Clay:
“A big part of the discussion of what’s going on in the world of college football is the Big Ten and their many different moving parts. For instance one reason the Big Ten is getting all the attention is because players, coaches, fans made an aggressive decision to fight against cancellation. The same thing has not happened in any way in the Pac 12. But as a former Pac 12 player are you surprised it hasn’t happened in the Pac 12 at all?”

Geoff:
“I’m not surprised for a couple of reasons. One of them is because the Pac 12 put out a comprehensive memo, a twelve page memo saying here is why we are shutting down. The conference commissioner, the athletic director of Arizona State, the conference’s head medical chief all did a press conference explaining the decision. All the coaches came out with statements supporting the decision. And the conference footprint is in a different place than is the Big Ten footprint as far as the lockdown situation, especially California. Some schools can’t practice. USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford – couldn’t even practice. So it’s a different situation than in the Big Ten. The thing that bothers me, Clay, and this is from me being a Pac 12 homer, is that no one seems to care that we’re not playing football. It’s not that we shut down, or that the Big Ten is fighting this. It’s that nobody cares we not playing out here…we’re going to be so left behind that I do think the other conferences are starting to realize this is a problem for the Pac 12. There was a leaked memo detailing the hiring of someone to maybe oversee the Pac 12 commissioner, which, why don’t you just get rid of the commissioner? The Pac 12 hired a football operations guy – Merton Hanks, the old 49er - to run football which has never happened in the Pac 12 conference. So the conference realizes this is a problem – we have to get better at football and basketball so when we’re not playing people elsewhere wonder why, because we’re being left behind right now.”

Clay:
“Do you think they’ll be a lasting impact here? That’s the question I get asked a lot by college football fans. If the Big Ten and the Pac 12 don’t play, let’s pretend you were a college recruit – would that impact your decision if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC were also recruiting you? Or do you think any possibility of that issue is entirely overrated? “

Geoff:
“Obviously it’ll be used against the Pac 12, but Oregon is still third in the country in recruiting right now. It obviously hasn’t affected them very much. The lasting impact is going to be two things. One is the money. Trying to come up with the money you’ve missed. And the Pac 12 has talked about an insurance policy that you can collect on if you’re a public school. But I think the lasting impact of this is that the Juniors who are sitting out already wanted to do so and COVID provides them the cover to sit out without any pushback. We’re going to see true Juniors and redshirt Sophomores who really have nothing to prove this year just take a year off to get ready for the NFL. And that could be the impact for all conferences.”

Clay:
“The thing about that is – and I said this back when it happened – we were going to see a slippery slope of: if you’re willing to sit out for a bowl game then at some point someone who establishes themselves as a projected top ten pick will question why they are even playing at all. I do think you’re right that COVID gives Ja’Marr Chase an excuse to not play.”

Geoff:
“Yes, but there’s also a stigma with sitting out. This idea of proving you love football is a huge part of the NFL combine process. Because coaches and front office guys live and breathe football and sitting out your last year is always looked at as you don’t love football.”

Clay:
“That’s the fear in general. Is that if you get big money and you don’t love the game enough to play anyway that you’ll never commit to football in a big way…to coaches it’s one thing to lose because the other team has a better QB or game plan but it’s another thing if a guy falls asleep in the film room and then isn’t committed enough to put in an A grade effort on the field.”
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

That was at least a more nuanced take than that other idiot (Petros).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the season kicks off with some games tomorrow doesn’t it? Going to be very interesting to see what happens
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah not many but there's a couple games tomorrow and like maybe 10 on Saturday. Next weekend on the 12th some of the bigger conferences play some games

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the B1G is looking to move up it’s season starting 10/11. What’s the move from the PAC going to be?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Penn State football fan has shown they don’t care about systemically raping children; I’m pretty sure you can take this “2-4 of your teammates might die this year from heart attacks” (quote made up by me) bullshit and hit the road.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

azcat49 wrote:So the B1G is looking to move up it’s season starting 10/11. What’s the move from the PAC going to be?
I'd love to see the Pac-12 coordinate with them and then have the two conferences conclude with a RB game in Jan or Feb. But, the noise from the chattering classes doesn't sound optimistic for that outcome. Spring football could be a mess with the NFL camps and draft (and players sitting out as a result), and there'd no doubt be accusations that the players are being too worn down playing two seasons within 10 months. But, the schools want TV and, to the extent possible, ticket revenue without a completely lost season. The weather's brutal after November in Pullman, Boulder, and SLC. But, I'd still like to see them try with creative scheduling and something like a November start. One thing nobody's talked about is that a late start could result in some of the additional TV attention that we're about to see for the Southern and Plains schools.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Football in Fall 2020 is possible now

Start week of 10-17 and have an 8 game conference schedule with a bye week and conference title game and the PAC12 can still be a part of the CFP
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If it keeps escalating like this expect the campus to shut down within a week or two and students to be sent home

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Exception or the rule? SUNY is like the CSU in Cali, but for NY, State University of New York.
prh

Post by prh »

84Cat wrote:
There are reports that multiple other Big10 schools are disputing this, and are not finding athletes with myocarditis afterwards
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:
84Cat wrote:
There are reports that multiple other Big10 schools are disputing this, and are not finding athletes with myocarditis afterwards
Which of these scenarios involves the schools making a shit-ton of money?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

This German study shows 60% of Covid patients with ongoing heart inflammation. I don’t think Germany is part of the Big 10, but I could be wrong.

https://cardiovascularnews.com/frankfur ... -patients/

A German study of recently-recovered COVID-19 patients examined using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) revealed cardiac involvement in 78% of patients, and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60%. Published online in JAMA: Cardiology, the study’s findings indicate the need for ongoing investigation of the long-term cardiovascular consequences of COVID-19, according to lead author Valentina Puntmann (University Hospital Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany) and colleagues.