2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AZCatGirl

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by AZCatGirl »

azgreg wrote:All PAC games will be on ABC, ESPN networks, or FOX networks. No games will be on the PAC-12 network.
Just put the Pac-12 Network out of its misery at this point. No one is going to give a crap about the shitty basketball schedule, so just end it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Since no games will be on the PAC12 network look for many late night games
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Well , we're in a 7 game losing streak. When will we snap the streak? 2021?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Since no games will be on the PAC12 network look for many late night games
Different than normal?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The ASU @ USC game is scheduled for a 9 AM kickoff.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Sadly, this feels about right. Colorado is our best chance at a win. Then maybe ASU or UCLA?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

DrWildcat wrote:Sadly, this feels about right. Colorado is our best chance at a win. Then maybe ASU or UCLA?
Don't forget the 6 vs. 6 crossover game. Probably OSU or Wazzu.

Probably our best shot.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Best case we're 2-5
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Sadly, this feels about right. Colorado is our best chance at a win. Then maybe ASU or UCLA?
Don't forget the 6 vs. 6 crossover game. Probably OSU or Wazzu.

Probably our best shot.
Forgot about that, thanks. With that, our ceiling is probably 3 wins but 2-5, 1-6 feel more likely. In the end, I would at least like to see some kind of hope for the future.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Everygame is winnable

Things change based on how players perform, evolve and injuries but as of now UA would be favored vs CU and a slight dog vs UCLA and asu.

I think Cats go 2-5 or 3-4
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sumlin has Corona.

Good luck on a great season Wildcats!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

lol. Theres literally no point in playing this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Might have to bet the under.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Oregon State sucks but is much better than us.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I haven’t been paying attention at all. Did Arizona loose it’s entire defense? Is there any reason to watch this year?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat wrote:I haven’t been paying attention at all. Did Arizona loose it’s entire defense? Is there any reason to watch this year?
Only one decent player left on defense, Pandy, but the offense looks good with Gunnell and Brightwell, and a decent OL. Just need to score 50 or more points since the defense will be giving up 40 or so each game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:I haven’t been paying attention at all. Did Arizona loose it’s entire defense? Is there any reason to watch this year?
Our defense is thinner than deli meat.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

This was the press release. Sumlin has no symptoms as of yet. Practice will start as scheduled on Friday.

Statement On Behalf of Arizona Athletics and Arizona Football

TUCSON, Ariz. -- In a recent administration of COVID-19 testing of our staff members, Head Football Coach Kevin Sumlin received a positive test result. In response to the positive result, our Intercollegiate Athletics Medical team immediately administered follow-up testing for Coach Sumlin to ensure validity and subsequent confirmation of the positive result. In adherence with all university protocols, Coach Sumlin entered self-isolation immediately, contact tracing began in earnest and he has not experienced any symptoms.

Contact tracing as well as a thorough analysis of all related team activities and protocols determined the test result is not related to any team activities and no close contacts were identified within the football program.

(The italicized statement below is from Coach Sumlin.)

“My family and I have been aggressive in our efforts to remain safe and healthy throughout the past seven months. My positive test result, while a shock, is a stark reminder of how we must all remain vigilant in our focus on hand washing, physical distancing and face coverings.

I am feeling well and will be engaged in our ramp-up activities on a virtual basis until I complete the isolation protocol. I look forward to being back on field in time to begin preparing for the season.

We are all grateful to Dr. Stephen Paul and his entire football medical team who work hard day-in and day-out to ensure our student-athletes and staff are safe and healthy.”

Team ramp-up activities remain on schedule this week, with pre-season practice scheduled to begin Friday, October 9.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

Jalen Johnson get kicked off the team or what?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tatanka wrote:Jalen Johnson get kicked off the team or what?
Why do you say that?
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

azgreg wrote:
Tatanka wrote:Jalen Johnson get kicked off the team or what?
Why do you say that?

Suspended indefinitely
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Thanks Chief
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

JB Brown not playing with the team.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Glad people are so comfortable gambling with player’s lives.

Baylor University, in Waco, Texas, has announced it is halting all football-related activities following positive results from recent coronavirus testing. The school did not reveal how many players and/or staff tested positive for Covid-19.

Last month, the team was forced to postpone a game versus the Houston Cougars due to Covid-19 cases on the Baylor team.

"At this time and in the interest of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff, we have temporarily suspended all football-related activities. Their health and wellness will always be our top priority," Baylor director of athletics Mack B. Rhoades said in a statement. "We are taking all possible precautions and our focus remains playing the scheduled game with Oklahoma State at McLane Stadium on Oct. 17."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Stanford must be trying to shut down the season sooner than later.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looks like our new defensive coordinator is cut from the same cloth as Sean Miller.........do what we do even if we don't have the personnel to do it. With 14 defensive lineman and only a few linebackers one would think that we would at least consider running some sort of 4 man front, either a 4-3 or 4-2-5, but no, we'll just shove a square peg into a round hole.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... -preseason" target="_blank

"Arizona has 14 scholarship defensive linemen available this season but only five linebackers, putting in doubt Rhoads’ plan to run a 3-4 defense.

“It changes it quite a bit from a personnel standpoint,” he said. “Where you go from there is determined on a daily basis. We certainly came here to run a scheme. You don’t scrap the scheme and shift and decide to do something else"
prh

Post by prh »

Saban and Byrne both test positive. Let's see how magically nobody else tests positive and they can still play
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

prh wrote:Saban and Byrne both test positive. Let's see how magically nobody else tests positive and they can still play
I’m working on mustering an earnest dose of empathy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Looks like our new defensive coordinator is cut from the same cloth as Sean Miller.........do what we do even if we don't have the personnel to do it. With 14 defensive lineman and only a few linebackers one would think that we would at least consider running some sort of 4 man front, either a 4-3 or 4-2-5, but no, we'll just shove a square peg into a round hole.

"Arizona has 14 scholarship defensive linemen available this season but only five linebackers, putting in doubt Rhoads’ plan to run a 3-4 defense.

“It changes it quite a bit from a personnel standpoint,” he said. “Where you go from there is determined on a daily basis. We certainly came here to run a scheme. You don’t scrap the scheme and shift and decide to do something else"
Square peg, round hole is a classic coordinator strategy with Sumlin. It's why Mazzone spent two years playing Khalil Tate like a drop back QB.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:Looks like our new defensive coordinator is cut from the same cloth as Sean Miller.........do what we do even if we don't have the personnel to do it. With 14 defensive lineman and only a few linebackers one would think that we would at least consider running some sort of 4 man front, either a 4-3 or 4-2-5, but no, we'll just shove a square peg into a round hole.

UA is projected to win one game. This is all about building force future
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

UA is projected to win one game. This is all about building force future
It's really dispiriting to think Sumlin would win 5 games, 4 games and 1 game in his first 3 years and HAVE a future.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OK Machina, where is your $20 going?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU is a lock at -11. Of course i like the cats to keep it inside 14 as well so what do I know
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:OK Machina, where is your $20 going?
I really like UA (Utah has new qb rb and defense), asu and Cal week 1
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

azgreg wrote:
Hope McCauley's "knee issue" that Sumlin mentioned Saturday night isn't a problem through the year. I think I saw him on campus the other day with his leg wrapped and with a light brace on. Didn't look too bad while he was just standing there, but who knows. Anyway, per Sumlin, Steven Bailey and Josh Baker move up while McCauley is sidelined. Typical UArizona stuff: A player gets some recognition, and he either immediately starts to play poorly or he goes down with an injury.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One thing is they know what he can do and he had many snaps with the projected starters. They can rest him and try and develop some depth with these other guys. Hopefully it’s not a nagging injury
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

That's a good point. Bailey's also a senior, but it's a great opportunity for the true freshman Baker to get more reps and show what he can do with the 1's and 2's. With McCauley and Bailey both being gone next season, that'll be fairly crucial development. And nothing for McCauley to prove; he's plug-and-play to the extent he's physically able to play. The only issue is chemistry of the line playing together, but unfortunately those guys do go down with some regularity, so different combinations have to be able to work together effectively.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've made the decision to be optimistic this season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:I've made the decision to be optimistic this season.
Somebody had to.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This whole season seems to be a case of feeling your way and improvising, week by week. But, at least there's a full slate of college football today (some with actual people in attendance), and a full slate of NFL games tomorrow. Having spent quite a bit of time in California this year, the Holiday Bowl decision doesn't really surprise me. The Redbox Bowl in Santa Clara and the Rose Parade are also cancelled, and it wouldn't really surprise me if they cancel the Rose Bowl and the LA Bowl at SoFi Stadium. Considering the non-conference game cancellations and the NCAA's ruling to make all teams eligible, it'll be interesting to see what the remaining bowls do, as the circumstances seem to throw the normal tie-ins up in the air. There's little doubt in my mind that many of the bowls in the South will play. If the Rose Bowl is cancelled, the Pac-12 champ may move to the Fiesta Bowl, or they might juggle things around with the Vegas Bowl in new Allegiant Stadium. If the Arizona Bowl is played at Arizona Stadium, we'll see if their normal tie-in with the MWC and the MAC hold up. It would be a supreme irony if UArizona got to play another home game there, despite a losing record, because of the situation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since the majority of bowl games are money losers, where the teams (or in the PAC's case the conference) foots the bills, I imagine almost all the lower tier bowls will be canceled.

Just huge budget cuts to the ADs due to the pandemic, and adding in paying to play in a shitty bowl just doesn't make financial sense.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:Since the majority of bowl games are money losers, where the teams (or in the PAC's case the conference) foots the bills, I imagine almost all the lower tier bowls will be canceled.

Just huge budget cuts to the ADs due to the pandemic, and adding in paying to play in a shitty bowl just doesn't make financial sense.
Would they still be money losers without the normal required ticket buys?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Not sure of the business model of minor bowls and how much revenue from providing content for TV compares to ticket revenue, as well as how much some bowls may be prepared to conduct operations through a bad year in exchange for more exposure than usual due to the various cancellations. Probably depends on their attitude and specific financial position. As to the Arizona Bowl, people can mock it all they want and say what they will about Ali Farhang, but there's been a commitment to grow it and keep it from getting swiped away, like happened with the Copper/Insight Bowl. So, it certainly could and likely should fold its tent this year. But I could also potentially see a stubborn, if possibly unwise, move to keep it going during a time of maybe low TV inventory. And, if a Pac-12 Arizona team, even with a losing record, would incur no costs and be allowed to have fans in the stadium at that point (it's already been discussed for the ASu game), that might make for somebody's idea of a better product for TV. That's the extent of my thinking, such as it is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »