Stadium Renovation

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Stadium Renovation

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This may seem like the last thing on anybody's radar right now, and ordinarily I'd completely agree. The ONLY reason I bring it up is that I saw that ASU is going to use bond funding (basically a 30-year mortgage to be paid off) to finance a friggin' 5,000 seat HOCKEY arena for over $100M. In the current financial and pandemic environment. Well, the price tag on the west side renovation of Arizona Stadium is $150M, and the east side addition in 1976 was paid off through bonds. So, WTF is the insistence that we must NEVER incur debt and ALWAYS balance our budget? ASU goes into debt constantly, then goes to the legislature with the stuck-out lower lip and single tear running down their cheek, and all is well. Under the circumstances, I'd think the ABOR would have to approve, else the accusations of a double-standard. We also laid off 20 or so employees of Arizona Athletics, and I haven't heard anything of the sort from ASU, and I'm quite sure they have more fat there than we do. I anything gets cut at UArizona, it should be some highly questionable course offerings. If anybody doesn't think there are plenty, I'd advise perusing the course catalog. They could knock out whole departments, and it would not only cut waste, but it would force people to get a major in a field where they could actually find gainful employment.
Merkin

Re: Stadium Renovation

Post by Merkin »

UA (and ASU) needs to read up on the Cal football stadium fiasco with no means to pay for it due to the failure of the PAC-12 Network to deliver funds as promised.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/168 ... 20interest.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Yeah, let’s cut entire academic departments at an institution of higher learning because I don’t understand why they are important so we can have a nicer football stadium!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

It's a commonly used funding mechanism, which I support in this case. Nobody said anything about cutting entire athletic departments, and as I said, I'm fairly sure ASU has more fat in their athletic department marketing department, with no announced cuts yet.