2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:36 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:08 pm
Ahhh, and there’s the kicker. Even if Heeke had the stones, and he had a replacement lined up, he doesn’t have the connections to raise the money for the buyout.

Our AD is a bonafide problem. Whether Sumlin is the guy or not, to be handcuffed to him is inexcusable.
When you pretty much run off your only football boosters you're not going to be able to find support financially to attract a new quality staff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anyone know why he didn't play? He was dressed for the game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:D

Twitter wars! Reminds me of the old board wars days.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Sorry if this information is elsewhere but can someone provide any facts around why we lost so many (defensive) players to transfer? Is it because P12 postponed playing or did they make that decision before because they didn't like something about the team or coaching staff? Due to overall disappointment with the program, I haven't been spending too much time keeping up. Thanks for the info.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

They claimed they were transferring because of the Pac-12 season cancellation, but I can’t believe it doesn’t have something to do with the program as well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 pm :D

Twitter wars! Reminds me of the old board wars days.
Pretty hilarious that Chief tweeted that Polian "sucks" yesterday and regularly shits all over Sumlin and then he @'s them both to try and get Scheer in trouble.

Can't wait for Chief (Tatanka) to slide on back in here one day like everyone doesn't already know he's a piece of shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 am They claimed they were transferring because of the Pac-12 season cancellation, but I can’t believe it doesn’t have something to do with the program as well.
I'm sure everyone who has ever transferred has had multiple reasons for doing so. But the guys who were getting starter minutes here and transferred for unknown roles elsewhere absolutely had the Pac cancellation at the top of their list.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arizona will no longer allow family members of athletes, staffers to attend home games

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... PU_nhQYKGE
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 am Arizona will no longer allow family members of athletes, staffers to attend home games

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... PU_nhQYKGE
Lucky for them they don't have to see the play on the field in person. :roll:
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 am They claimed they were transferring because of the Pac-12 season cancellation, but I can’t believe it doesn’t have something to do with the program as well.
I'm sure everyone who has ever transferred has had multiple reasons for doing so. But the guys who were getting starter minutes here and transferred for unknown roles elsewhere absolutely had the Pac cancellation at the top of their list.
Thanks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ehh, we had the second most Covid transfers in the Pac behind WSU, who had a new coach coming in.

It's hard for me to believe we had more transfers than anyone else, and the overall dumpster fire program quality wasn't an issue. There certainly are probably multiple issues with everyone, but program quality would seem to an outside observer like me to be high on the list.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just seems odd the it seems the majority of transfers are from the D side of the ball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:44 pm Just seems odd the it seems the majority of transfers are from the D side of the ball.
New staff with new system.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:41 pm
Ehh, we had the second most Covid transfers in the Pac behind WSU, who had a new coach coming in.

It's hard for me to believe we had more transfers than anyone else, and the overall dumpster fire program quality wasn't an issue. There certainly are probably multiple issues with everyone, but program quality would seem to an outside observer like me to be high on the list.
Didn’t say it wasn’t an issue. Just said it wasn’t the only issue and may not have been the #1 issue. Why are you going to stick around a dumpster fire that isn’t going to even play? For the quality Family Studies education you can’t get anywhere else?

I’d be willing to bet that if the PAC had decided as early as the ACC that the season was going to happen that we wouldn’t have lost 3/4s the kids we did. And I don’t blame them. They wanted to play and get noticed and that wasn’t going to happen here.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Arizona football, just one happy family
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Blow the whole thing up. It's about to get ugly
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:14 pm Blow the whole thing up. It's about to get ugly

Surprised Chief hasn't popped back here to gloat like he enjoys doing.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

84Cat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:07 pm Arizona football, just one happy family
Our football program stands for two things: class and winning.

Well, ok at least it stands for class.

Looks at Sumlin's quote.

I think we can agree, at the least, that our uniforms look better than ASU's.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 am
Ahhh, and there’s the kicker. Even if Heeke had the stones, and he had a replacement lined up, he doesn’t have the connections to raise the money for the buyout.

Our AD is a bonafide problem. Whether Sumlin is the guy or not, to be handcuffed to him is inexcusable.
When you pretty much run off your only football boosters you're not going to be able to find support financially to attract a new quality staff.
2021 would be the time to do it because Sumlin's salary increases from 2 to 3.5 million and the buyout decreases from 5 to 3.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:55 am

2021 would be the time to do it because Sumlin's salary increases from 2 to 3.5 million and the buyout decreases from 5 to 3.
That would be January 2022. He already makes 3.5 million and his buyout is 5 million in after January 2021.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sumlin's buyout is so confounding to me. It's a buyout you think we'd have to give a hot coaching prospect to lure them and try to keep them, not a guy who just got fired and probably wasn't getting sniffs from other P5 programs.
TheCatInTheHat

Sumlin

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I really think it was a case of rookie college president Robbins sticking his nose into a hire based on being dazzled by Sumlin's success with Case Keenum (under current Denver Broncos OC Pat Shurmur) during his time in Houston (against weaker competition.) There was all the crap with Khalil Tate using his leverage (after the SI publicity stunt as the worst Heisman pick in history) laughably pushing for Marcel Yates as head coach and threatening to quit if they brought in Ken Niumatalolo because he ran a wishbone at Navy. Obviously, that would have been a better hire, for many reasons. So Sumlin was a "name" hire who Tate would accept, rather than deal with the p.r. fallout if he transferred after all the hype from that SI cover, and who Robbins really liked. And Sumlin probably figured out he had them over a barrel, he had plenty of money from his A&M gig, and he held out for much more than his resume would indicate. So chalk it up to a rookie mistake by Robbins. He should have hired Niumatalolo, which would have reinvigorated recruiting in the Polynesian communities, let Tate decide to either stay or pound sand, and even run a wishbone if necessary for a few years to be at least somewhat competitive (like we did in 1989 & 1990) until he could repair recruiting. So now we're screwed for multiple more years. You need an absolutely obsessed recruiter at Arizona, who's also solid with Xs and Os, believes in balance on both sides of the ball, and won't overrule his offensive coordinator on 3rd and 5 at midfield because he thinks it's safer to "set up for a punt."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:32 am Sumlin's buyout is so confounding to me. It's a buyout you think we'd have to give a hot coaching prospect to lure them and try to keep them, not a guy who just got fired and probably wasn't getting sniffs from other P5 programs.
He was a guy that had a winning record at a SEC school. He was always going to get another job, but we were the only job looking to hire at the timeframe when we made that hire. Either way you can't offer him the contract you offered him when you knew about his alcohol abuse background. YET HERE WE ARE!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:38 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:32 am Sumlin's buyout is so confounding to me. It's a buyout you think we'd have to give a hot coaching prospect to lure them and try to keep them, not a guy who just got fired and probably wasn't getting sniffs from other P5 programs.
He was a guy that had a winning record at a SEC school. He was always going to get another job, but we were the only job looking to hire at the timeframe when we made that hire. Either way you can't offer him the contract you offered him when you knew about his alcohol abuse background. YET HERE WE ARE!
It seems like we thought we were in a bidding war with non-existent other bidders. Sumlin would probably have gone mid-low major without our offer.

To Catinthehat, I am #1 om the Niumatalolo train. I remember people arguing on here that Sumlin's offense would put people in seats and Niumatalolo wouldn't. Well, winning puts people in seats and Niumatalolo wins without a ton of resources. Sumlin's failure has run fan interest into the ground.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was right at the top of the list of the people who needed Sumlin and hated the prospect of Niumatalolo. I can admit that, and also admit that I was incredibly wrong and pigheaded.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 am I was right at the top of the list of the people who needed Sumlin and hated the prospect of Niumatalolo. I can admit that, and also admit that I was incredibly wrong and pigheaded.
I think every one was afraid of the pistol more than anything, so people hating the prospect of Coach N made plenty sense. Most didn't know he was intending to hire a spread OC though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:55 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 am I was right at the top of the list of the people who needed Sumlin and hated the prospect of Niumatalolo. I can admit that, and also admit that I was incredibly wrong and pigheaded.
I think every one was afraid of the pistol more than anything, so people hating the prospect of Coach N made plenty sense. Most didn't know he was intending to hire a spread OC though.
My thought was that Sumlin was a big name with some big recruits under his belt who would invigorate the fanbase, keep all of our top players in the fold, and really ramp up our recruiting to the point where we would be in the mix for 4 and 5 star kids, and that Niumatalolo would end up having all of our good players transfer out while never being able to recruit even 2 star talent and the stands would remain half full.

I'm actually terrible at predicting the future. Probably why I haven't won the lottery yet.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:23 pm
My thought was that Sumlin was a big name with some big recruits under his belt who would invigorate the fanbase, keep all of our top players in the fold, and really ramp up our recruiting to the point where we would be in the mix for 4 and 5 star kids, and that Niumatalolo would end up having all of our good players transfer out while never being able to recruit even 2 star talent and the stands would remain half full.

I'm actually terrible at predicting the future. Probably why I haven't won the lottery yet.
That was exactly thought at the time.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well I enjoying the way this season has been under Sumlin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd be fine if Niumatalolo ran the triple option. At Arizona, I think we may always have a talent disadvantage. We just don't have a ton of recruiting leverage no matter the coach.

Georgia Tech won a lot of games recently with triple option. It can help when you're at a talent disadvantage. Most of all, I'd run any offense if we didn't suck balls, and I think if Niumatalolo can consistently win at a service academy in a decent conference, he'd do it here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't you meant the "tripple option"? :)

Perhaps would have had a better chance of making the NFL in a skill position, then trying to force himself to be a Peyton Manning style drop back passer. Unwilling to take a hit sure hurt his chances.

And yes, Sumlin was hired as was RichRod and Mackovic, someone who can create offensive excitement instead of the boring defensive oriented teams of Dick Tomey and Mike Stoops.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am
Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:55 am

That would be January 2022. He already makes 3.5 million and his buyout is 5 million in after January 2021.
This article says that he doesn't get 3.5 until '21 and shows the buyout at 3 in '21.

https://herosports.com/kevin-sumlin-ari ... lary-ahah/
Last edited by Robert A Booey on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wpengi ... rizona.pdf

3.1. Base Salary. As consideration for Coach's performance of the Program Duties
and Additional Duties .set forth above, Coach will receive an annual salary as follows ("Base
Salary"). Coach will not be entitled to any additional generally-applicable percentage salary
adjustment that may become available from time-to-time to other full-time University
employees. Each year begins on the Effective Date of this Agreement (or the anniversary of the
Effective Date, as the case may be), and ends one year after such date (the "Contract Year").

Year 1 (January 16, 2018 - January 15, 2019) $1,100,000
Year 2 (January 16, 2019 - January 15, 2020) $1,100,000
Year 3 (January 16 ,2020 - January 15,2021) $2,600,000
Year 4 (January 16, 2021 - January 15, 2022) $2,600,000

6. TERMINATION BY EITHER PARTY WITHOUT CAUSE
6.1. By University. The University may terminate this Agreement without Cau.se, for
any reason or no reason, subject to payment by University to Coach of the lesser of: (a) the full
amount of the Base Salary that would have been owed for the remainder of the Term after the
effective date of termination, plus an amount equal to $900,000 per Contract Year then
remaining in the Term (prorated for the Contract Year in which the effective date of termination
occurs by multiplying $900,000 by a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of days
remaining in such Contract Year as of the effective date of termination and the denominator of
which is 365); or (b) the following amounts based upon the Contract Year in which the
termination occurs, as set forth below;

Year 1 (January 16, 2018 - January 15,2019) $10,000,000
Year 2 (January 16, 2019 - January 15,2020) $10,000,000
Year 3 (January 16, 2020 - January 15,2021) $7,500,000
Year 4 (January 16, 2021 - January 15,2022) $5,000,000
Year 5 (January 16, 2022 - January 15,2023) $3,500,000
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

^thanks
prh

Post by prh »

I thought Sumlin would be good, albeit for different reasons. SEC West is practically a suicide mission, considering that he had Auburn's time at the top, Les Miles in the good years, and obviously Bama. Plus Dak at MSU and other good years out of them/Ole Miss. So his SEC record didn't concern me too much. I wasn't super high on his QB tutelage, despite some success, he most recently had BOTH Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen and disastrously mismanaged and lost them both.

But, he seemed like he would bring us good recruiting, not TAMU quality but maybe closer to Stoops years, and I thought he would be ready to rehabilitate his coaching image like what Lane Kiffin did. I also did not expect Tate to take a nosedive into the shitter
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I was high on Sumlin too, for many of the same reasons posted above. To me he wasn't too much of a "retread". Yeah he failed at A&M but he was always destined too considering the strength of the SEC West at the time and the fact that he was probably at the 4th best program in his own division. Now, I didn't know about the personal issues surrounding Sumlin before the hire, but if Robbins and Heeke did then it was a terrible decision and a terrible contract.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:20 pm I thought Sumlin would be good, albeit for different reasons. SEC West is practically a suicide mission, considering that he had Auburn's time at the top, Les Miles in the good years, and obviously Bama. Plus Dak at MSU and other good years out of them/Ole Miss. So his SEC record didn't concern me too much. I wasn't super high on his QB tutelage, despite some success, he most recently had BOTH Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen and disastrously mismanaged and lost them both.

But, he seemed like he would bring us good recruiting, not TAMU quality but maybe closer to Stoops years, and I thought he would be ready to rehabilitate his coaching image like what Lane Kiffin did. I also did not expect Tate to take a nosedive into the shitter
I see Sumlin's time at aTm like this. It's a school that paid 75 million for his replacement, has 100,000 plus at every home game and is in the middle of a top three recruiting state.

Outside the first Manziel year, Sumlin was never over .500 in SEC play. Never. I get that the SEC West is tough, but 5 straight years of not being over .500 in conference is underperforming at aTm. I think you see that with Jimbo, who was shaky at the end with FSU but already will have one .500 year and two winning seasons in the SEC.

At least RichRod had Michigan trending up and I could believe he didn't get a full chance. Sumlin got a full chance at aTm and had taken a program with giant resources down into a cycle of in conference mediocrity and sub mediocrity...then backing into 7-8 wins a year with OOC rent a wins. I've legit never seen what made Sumlin attractive. He was mediocre at a program set up for success, and now he's at a program not designed for success and failing hard.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 am
And got absolutely embarrassed!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

DrWildcat wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:48 pm
At least we made it there for the first time since conference split into division? Hey we won 10 game that year, Won program first outright Conference/Division championship, Program First Conference Title game appearance? That will never be achieve again.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

How long does Sumlin have left on his contract? In the meantime can we dump Mazzone?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:30 pm How long does Sumlin have left on his contract? In the meantime can we dump Mazzone?
Look at the link in the post about 10 spots above yours.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

cordera89 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 pm
DrWildcat wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:48 pm
At least we made it there for the first time since conference split into division? Hey we won 10 game that year, Won program first outright Conference/Division championship, Program First Conference Title game appearance? That will never be achieve again.
Yeah, I know. It was a really good season. I was just so disappointed in that game. I can tolerate losing in football to really good teams like Oregon that year but I hate losing like that!

Now if we compare that to now, losing is just expected from this staff and team to the point where I just don't care about the outcome.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:30 pm How long does Sumlin have left on his contract? In the meantime can we dump Mazzone?
I don't really think it does any good to fire Mazzone at this point. Sumlin is getting fired, it is just a matter of when. Will it be the end of this season or during next season? What kind of new OC is going to come into that? The new OC would then require a 2-year minimum contract and such, just becomes more wasted money.