2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:29 am
tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:30 pm How long does Sumlin have left on his contract? In the meantime can we dump Mazzone?
I don't really think it does any good to fire Mazzone at this point. Sumlin is getting fired, it is just a matter of when. Will it be the end of this season or during next season? What kind of new OC is going to come into that? The new OC would then require a 2-year minimum contract and such, just becomes more wasted money.
Yup, you're just ensuring you'd have to pay yet another buyout. Mazzone is staying until Sumlin is fired.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

F ing disaster
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Calling out Chief apparently, along with Doyle's dad who posts on Chief's twitter page.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:10 pm Calling out Chief apparently, along with Doyle's dad who posts on Chief's twitter page.
It took less than an hour for Doyle's dad to respond to that tweet :lol:
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

It's not like Plummer is tearing it up. I wouldn't mind if Doyle or Rhett Rod got the start. I just want the Sumlin era over ASAP.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Kevin Sumlin must be drunk when he says this shit in a public forum. No wonder kids are transferring and decommitting, the guy seems borderline Mackovic at this point.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

prh wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:18 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:10 pm Calling out Chief apparently, along with Doyle's dad who posts on Chief's twitter page.
It took less than an hour for Doyle's dad to respond to that tweet :lol:
I’m going to guess that Michael Lev also didn’t appreciate the DM post.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

What did Doyle's dad say?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:39 pm What did Doyle's dad say?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Thanks.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

cordera89 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 pm
DrWildcat wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:48 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 am
And got absolutely embarrassed!
At least we made it there for the first time since conference split into division? Hey we won 10 game that year, Won program first outright Conference/Division championship, Program First Conference Title game appearance? That will never be achieve again.
Got to give you credit Cordy. You were one of the few that said we should retain Rich Rod. I didnt agree and still don't, but then again,
i thought Sumlin was a good hire.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichRod was such an awesome coach that no one offered him a head gig anywhere after Arizona and he's unemployed right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Hmm
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod had the most exciting player in college football, had a 3 game winning streak, and a ranked Wazzu team coming into town, and still only drew 42,000. That's when I realized RichRod had lost Tucson.

I was excited when Sumlin was hired, and was excited when RichRod was hired, and also quite excited when Mackovic was hired. Mackovic was Coach of the Year in 3 different football conferences, and a very good offensive mind after the extremely boring offense of the Tomey years.

Finally realized that the football program should follow the model of the basketball program. Hire a young hungry head coach from a smaller school. No more fired head coaches.

The one nice thing about the pending Sumlin (and Miller) firings is that both of them have clauses in their contract where they need to mitigate damages by attempting to find work, and their future salary will offset what the UA has to pay them.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I think part of the problem is trying to come up with a "name" hire for cheap, and expecting them to be a successful coach here for 15 years as their final stop. Young as a top assistant, Mason from no-name Cincy, Smith from no-name Tulane, Tomey from no-name Hawaii, and Stoops as a top assistant all worked out to varying degrees. (Mason was on his way, but got busted, along with about two-thirds of the Pac-10.) Stoops took a long time digging out, had solid years in 08-10 and recruited lots of talent, but lost it by driving away his better assistants at the end. But Mackovic after being fired multiple times for more than just his won/lost record, despite a big resume of Wake Forest, Illinois, and Texas, RichRod now fired twice after his big years at West Virginia, and Sumlin, probably about to be fired twice after Houston and A&M, all helped the ADs at the time "win the press conference." Better to grab a rising star and try to make him happy in Tucson for as long as it lasts, then either hand it off to a top assistant to try and keep it going, or just keep repeating that kind of hire over and over. I'd say the main things are work ethic and an absolute aversion to losing. And I don't want any more big talking self-promoting hot-shot assistants with supposed recruiting ties in LA. Just demonstrate that you'll outwork everybody else in recruiting and coaching and let the chips fall where they may.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

The thing that has surprised me about Sumlin is his lack of recruiting the state of AZ. He and his staff at A&M did a very good job recruiting high level recruits in AZ. He comes to Tucson and the recruiting connections just disappear? Or A&M just recruits itself like most other SEC schools? Just crazy bad recruiting or even retaining the commitments we do get under this regime.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No self respecting Arizona high school player even considers ASU or Arizona to play at. Been that way for a decade already at least.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

What's the best guess of AZ saying here's $5 million we're gonna go a different direction at season's end with Sumlin? On the main Phoenix sports talk radio station, they are often hostile to UA, but even they thought that was cheap and a no brainer to them. But here locally we're more worried about the buyout money, which is admittedly a bigger and more sensitive issue with the pandemic. Alot of future football revenue years to run the program at stake with both fan support and recruiting momentum, so if they stick with Sumlin he absolutely needs a much better recruiting class...like some more gets this offseason, with a winning record season next year. Otherwise at the current pace you're looking at least 2 more bad seasons if he gets fired after next year, bleeding into 3-4 years of bad teams until a new coach can get it going. Tucson fans will come out to support very good to good, winning teams. Otherwise attendance and interest is spotty or worse, as are your revenues, and those would seem to far exceed $5 mill if Sumlin doesn't turn it around.

As a replacement I like the idea of a young hungry assistant coach who's been working with a good head coach, who'll come in and grind at recruiting, etc. Build both good offensive and defensive lines. We haven't had both at the same time in at least 15 years. And now that we've seen how it's all played out, the Ken N. hiring process turned out to be a real turning point. He would have been very good for us, we have a military base in town as and with his background and ability to win 11 games a season with a team of virtually all 0 star kids who work a very tough team/military schedule. That truly crazy last minute turn of events did it all in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We need a Sean Miller.

A guy from a lesser program who will come to town and immediately reach out to anyone and everyone with recruiting ties in the Southwest & West.

When Sean got the job here he did exactly that. Didn’t matter if it was high school coaches, AAU programs, the Press, or random dudes on social media. Anyone with his finger on the pulse of the players he would need to be a success, he reached out, made nice, asked their thoughts, and in some cases either made hires or impactful connections.

There are people who you know from this board right here who were a part of that connection-making effort. And that’s what we need for the football team.

I’m not talking about blowhards like Chief who know a couple of kids’ dads. I’m talking about people who know the people who can put 4-Star recruits immediately on our radar and on our roster.

I don’t care who the next coach is. If he can tap into the people who are connected and have influence, we will be successful. If he can’t, we will continue to be fucked. End of story.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

^ I could certainly get on board with a tireless recruiter type, especially in Arizona with more talent in the Phoenix area than ever before. We just built two brand new excellent football facilities that should be helping, but so far have gotten a negative return on investment like they don't exist.

As a long time fan, what I see is a complete dumpster fire of a program, rapidly declining recruiting momentum with zero indication from leadership or anybody in charge it's going to get fixed. It's like an SOS in the dark and nobody is listening, especially since the people who created the mess are still in charge. The program's face to the fan is: we're content to be among the absolute worst power conference 5 football programs, rank last in recruiting every year, and we're going to going to let this all ride and blame the pandemic and everything else for not being able to take decisive sound action. You're going to be leaving, at the very least, another $10-20 million annually in athletic department revenue on the table during the coming decade with the current status quo.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I fully expect Chief to one day be featured on one of those "Karens/Kens Go Wild" videos screaming and threatening some poor 13 year old for skating at a skate park 3 minutes after it closed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chief is having quite the twitter day today. Just a bit unhinged.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

What a fucking tool
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's accusing Scheer of buying a house with money he's been given under the table to go to bat for the football program.

A) Uhhh, what?
B) Fucking hilarious to believe that anyone would give a fansite writer a six figure payoff to write something positive about an 0-fer program
C) What a fucking lunatic.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He thinks President Robbins is dictating who to play LOL.

Coaches play who they think gives them the best chance to win. Sometimes they are wrong (see Matt Scott vs. Nick Foles), but they don't conspire to play someone who will cause them to lose.

He still thinks Grant faked an injury on the first play of the game. FOH

Get help chief.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chief needs to take note on what happened to Ajay "Ace" Thakore when he took on Scheer. One of them ended up dead*.

*-Not really, Ace just moved to Orange County to start a new company
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:12 pm He's accusing Scheer of buying a house with money he's been given under the table to go to bat for the football program.

A) Uhhh, what?
B) Fucking hilarious to believe that anyone would give a fansite writer a six figure payoff to write something positive about an 0-fer program
C) What a fucking lunatic.
Scheer doesn’t write puff pieces about the football program either. You can tell the guy bites his tongue on Sumlin, because he literally can’t say what he feels and get any sort of access, but he’s also far from straight brown nosing the football staff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Oh
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Washington doesn't play they win the north.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chief seems a little crazy and it appears to be getting worse. I hope the guy is okay.

He is always going on about some agenda and how the media is pushing stories, etc. To me, it seems like he is the only one that is doing this. I mean how long has he been pushing for Doyle to play? I would claim that he is the one "in bed" with Doyle's dad. Other than that, he mostly just makes stuff up.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Unfortunately these are all-too-recognizable signs of derangement. Used to be you only saw that from dudes at the intersection shouting about the world’s end. Or back in my day, parading their kids in chains around campus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 am Unfortunately these are all-too-recognizable signs of derangement. Used to be you only saw that from dudes at the intersection shouting about the world’s end. Or back in my day, parading their kids in chains around campus.
Wait,what? We need to hear this story.
-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 am Unfortunately these are all-too-recognizable signs of derangement. Used to be you only saw that from dudes at the intersection shouting about the world’s end. Or back in my day, parading their kids in chains around campus.
I forget the details and I may be conflating a couple of different wingnuts. Maybe @Merkin remembers more detail. Basically this dude was a psycho “preacher” who dressed up like Jesus and walked around campus with his kids in tow. I feel like there were chains and fake blood involved. Maybe. My mind is turning to mush in my old age. I feel like this was the guy who caused a new rule limiting wingnuts to preaching/speaking only in designated areas on campus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am
I forget the details and I may be conflating a couple of different wingnuts. Maybe @Merkin remembers more detail. Basically this dude was a psycho “preacher” who dressed up like Jesus and walked around campus with his kids in tow. I feel like there were chains and fake blood involved. Maybe. My mind is turning to mush in my old age. I feel like this was the guy who caused a new rule limiting wingnuts to preaching/speaking only in designated areas on campus.
I used to grab lunch from the union and head out onto the mall to listen to brother Jed and sister Cindy for laughs.

SINNERS!
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember Jed, quite entertaining. Don't remember the Jesus chain.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You are speaking of Yashua/666 I believe.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:31 pm You are speaking of Yashua/666 I believe.
Yes, that sounds familiar!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have one more game after today no matter what? Don't we play whoever is in our place in the North standings in a final game of the season?

So if we win, we'd play the winner of Cal/WSU?

I might be making this up and I can't find any confirmation one way or the other on the interwebs.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have one more game after today no matter what? Don't we play whoever is in our place in the North standings in a final game of the season?

I might be making this up and I can't find any confirmation one way or the other on the interwebs.

That was the original schedule but I thought they decided to bag it with all the Covid issues.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:42 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have one more game after today no matter what? Don't we play whoever is in our place in the North standings in a final game of the season?

That was the original schedule but I thought they decided to bag it with all the Covid issues.
Oh well! Let's beat the Scummies and not go out like total losers.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:03 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:42 am

Oh well! Let's beat the Scummies and not go out like total losers.

The athletic department website still shows a TBD game next week.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we don't win this week or in a potential game next week it will be our first winless season in school history
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:16 am If we don't win this week or in a potential game next week it will be our first winless season in school history
Since this is TC day I request that you refrain from posting anything negative until the game is over. I know it's going to be damn near impossible for you, but please try.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This season never shoulda happened. What a clown show. We're the WORST P5 conference team.