Sumlin’s future - poll question

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

How much time are you giving Sumlin to right the ship?

None - If money wasn’t an issue he would be gone now
39%
1-2 years - depending on defensive coordinator
30%
2-3 years - We need to give him a full 4-5 years to see how it will turn out.
21%
3+ years - Sumlin is the best Arizona can get.
1%
Bah - It doesn’t matter it’s Arizona football
8%

Total votes: 71

PHXCATS

Re: Sumlin’s future - poll question

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
We have fair weather fans in all sports
Fair weather fans? Do you even know what a fair weather fan is? Basketball team is undefeated.

Here:

fair-weather fan

A person who is supportive of and enthusiastic about a sports team only when that team is performing well.
Did you see Vegas last year? Hardly any fans
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ASUHATER! wrote:We have fair weather fans in all sports. That's why we've led the conference in basketball attendance for like 34 years in a row.
The three games I have been to this year have had underwhelming attendance. Football attendance is by far the worst it has been in modern history. I put both of those squarely on that guy in the AD office collecting checks for doing.......something, right? This basketball team is the most exciting team we have had in years and we have had worse football teams than this year, part of the AD's job is to foster fan support. Heeke has failed miserable at that along with other glaring missteps. I may be in minority that thinks there is still a small fraction of hope that Sumlin can turn things around, but I think their is a much larger fraction of Heeke fucking things up with or without Sumlin "running" the team.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The biggest issue with basketball is the AD holding NEW season ticket holders hostage for an outrageous premium on seats that the older season ticket holders don’t pay at the same level

They need to foster the new fans if AZ basketball and sell those seats at a reasonable premium. This was started before Heeke but he could change it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:We have fair weather fans in all sports. That's why we've led the conference in basketball attendance for like 34 years in a row.
The three games I have been to this year have had underwhelming attendance. Football attendance is by far the worst it has been in modern history. I put both of those squarely on that guy in the AD office collecting checks for doing.......something, right? This basketball team is the most exciting team we have had in years and we have had worse football teams than this year, part of the AD's job is to foster fan support. Heeke has failed miserable at that along with other glaring missteps. I may be in minority that thinks there is still a small fraction of hope that Sumlin can turn things around, but I think their is a much larger fraction of Heeke fucking things up with or without Sumlin "running" the team.
In terms of basketball...

I think that after Wichita St, Xavier, Buffalo, the FBI and last year's team, everyone (non diehards) is on a wait and see mode. Burnout if you will.

It's like when teams like the Atlanta Braves kept winning they're division for a decade+ straight but keep failing in the playoffs.

Towards the end of that run, playoff games weren't even sell outs anymore. The excitement was gone.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azcat49 wrote:The biggest issue with basketball is the AD holding NEW season ticket holders hostage for an outrageous premium on seats that the older season ticket holders don’t pay at the same level

They need to foster the new fans if AZ basketball and sell those seats at a reasonable premium. This was started before Heeke but he could change it
There are NEW season ticket holders?

Who are these people?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Where is Tedford these days?
Fresno St and doing well.
Uhhh ........ about that .........

Just stepped down.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The biggest issue with basketball is the AD holding NEW season ticket holders hostage for an outrageous premium on seats that the older season ticket holders don’t pay at the same level

There are NEW season ticket holders?

Who are these people?

Your right I should of said POTENTIAL NEW season ticket holders for basketball. The premium has priced them out
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Where is Tedford these days?
Fresno St and doing well.
Uhhh ........ about that .........

Just stepped down.
Just read that this morning. Sucks.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Is Lane Kiffin going to let Rich Rod call the plays?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Robert A Booey wrote:Is Lane Kiffin going to let Rich Rod call the plays?
Well, since RR doesn't work there anymore I doubt it.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

This process is sure taking its time.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

With no inside information, it feels to me (maybe hoping?), that the winner of the Hawaii versus Arizona season opener will be coaching at Arizona in 2021.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 pm
ASUHATER! wrote:Not sure who's even out there to hire. Not a ton of break out young Conference USA/Mountain West level coaches for hire this year.
Here are a few. In general, it looks like you may be right.

Eliah Drinkwitz, Appalachian St., 36 years old, first season 9-1
Josh Heupel, UCF, 40 years old, 19-4
Bryan Harsin, Boise State, 42 years old, 68-21 ($2 mill)
Billy Napier, Louisiana , 39 years old, 15-9
Seth Littrell, north Texas, 40 years old, 27-23
Nick Rolovich, Hawaii, 39 years old, 25-26
How many tens of millions of dollars would we need to throw at Josh Heupel to take over this dumpster fire?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I know he has no head coaching experience and it might be a mistake to hire him, but I would like to bring Antonio Pierce back into the fold somehow. Easily the best recruiter on the ASU staff and possibly a damn good coach to boot. His Linebacker unit the last few years have performed very well. It's probably to early to hire him but I can't stand seeing him in Tempe recruiting way above our heads.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 pm I know he has no head coaching experience and it might be a mistake to hire him, but I would like to bring Antonio Pierce back into the fold somehow. Easily the best recruiter on the ASU staff and possibly a damn good coach to boot. His Linebacker unit the last few years have performed very well. It's probably to early to hire him but I can't stand seeing him in Tempe recruiting way above our heads.
I doubt it would ever happen.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 pm I know he has no head coaching experience and it might be a mistake to hire him, but I would like to bring Antonio Pierce back into the fold somehow. Easily the best recruiter on the ASU staff and possibly a damn good coach to boot. His Linebacker unit the last few years have performed very well. It's probably to early to hire him but I can't stand seeing him in Tempe recruiting way above our heads.
Experience the problem? Sour grapes towards UofA? I know Briggs supposedly did, but never heard anything about Pierce.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm
Experience the problem? Sour grapes towards UofA? I know Briggs supposedly did, but never heard anything about Pierce.
Pierce had a falling out with the UofA after Tomey was fired. When he played in the NFL, instead of mentioning he went to the UofA, he would mention the junior college he attended.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm
Pierce had a falling out with the UofA after Tomey was fired. When he played in the NFL, instead of mentioning he went to the UofA, he would mention the junior college he attended.

Oh ok. I thought that was Briggs not Pierce, but maybe it was both.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Briggs issue was more with the alumni association believe it or not.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:29 pm Briggs issue was more with the alumni association believe it or not.
Damn, so 2 of our best NFL players in the last 25 years hate our University? Great.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think “hate” is a strong word. More like “doesn’t care to have anything to do with”.

Doesn’t mean it’s forever. But it’s definitely for right now.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:43 pm I think “hate” is a strong word. More like “doesn’t care to have anything to do with”.

I actually just read an article from a few years ago about guys on both sides of the rivalry. Sounds like Pierce would come down if the right opportunity was presented. Also read an article on Briggs that made it seem like he still loves UofA. So maybe there is still a shot at some point in the future to get these 2 guys involved.

Back to Sumlin. When he was hired I actually thought it was ASU that had made a joke of a hire in Herm. Oh how wrong I was on that.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:43 pm I think “hate” is a strong word. More like “doesn’t care to have anything to do with”.

I actually just read an article from a few years ago about guys on both sides of the rivalry. Sounds like Pierce would come down if the right opportunity was presented. Also read an article on Briggs that made it seem like he still loves UofA. So maybe there is still a shot at some point in the future to get these 2 guys involved.

Back to Sumlin. When he was hired I actually thought it was ASU that had made a joke of a hire in Herm. Oh how wrong I was on that.
I mean, they are 1 and 2. And while this game is definitive, there is obviously something else going on there. But beating up on us at this point is no great accomplishment. Would I rather have a moribund Herm instead of a drunkard Sumlin? Of course. But I’d rather not have to choose between my dick being chewed off by a zombie or having it run over by a tank.