Fire Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Fire Sumlin

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:49 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:16 am Btw I fully believe this was partially a mutiny by the players or at least a majority of them. Take from that what you will. You don't lose to your rivals 70-7. Our team is bad no question, but we weren't this bad, and ASU sure as shit isn't that good.
I don't buy this... not against ASU. Too much personal pride in this game. Just look at the reaction from twitter last night from so many former players. They were disgusted.
Keyword in your post there 'FORMER' players.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Feldman is reporting he was getting heat to replace numerous coaches on his staff. If you're a player and you know the problem is Sumlin and not the other coaches throwing a game this badly against this particular opponent will get it done.
prh

Post by prh »

There were a number of plays EARLY in the game that the players looked absolutely disinterested in things like actually making a tackle to stop a touchdown or any semblance of pass coverage in the end zone. We've seen that sort of thing before but it seemed to be on a whole new level last night.

If the players mutiny and get Sumlin to leave on his own decision, well, I'd thank them for that far more than going 6-0 this year. From the beginning, Sumlin has not even tried to make this program competitive and just cash checks. Absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing as a man. GTFO
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Choo,
Any chance we could negotiate a lower buyout with him using the threat of the ability to be fired for cause as leverage?

I'm guessing you are going to say only if we had a competent AD.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am Feldman is reporting he was getting heat to replace numerous coaches on his staff. If you're a player and you know the problem is Sumlin and not the other coaches throwing a game this badly against this particular opponent will get it done.
Yeah, 70-7 doesn’t get the DL coach fired. It gets EVERYONE fired.

Or at least it should, but Heeke gonna Heeke.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Heeke is probably working on an extension
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:10 am Choo,
Any chance we could negotiate a lower buyout with him using the threat of the ability to be fired for cause as leverage?

He wouldn't get $7.5 million off the bat if that's what you're asking. He'd get half of it up front and the other half later. If we tried to fire him for cause then we'd be spending more in lawyer fees and I'm not sure if Arizona wants to do that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Save $2.5M if they fire him next month.
prh wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:03 am There were a number of plays EARLY in the game that the players looked absolutely disinterested in things like actually making a tackle to stop a touchdown or any semblance of pass coverage in the end zone
I mentioned the same thing in the in game thread. Never seen a team trying so hard to lose. It seemed to me to be a passive aggressive Mackovic level revolt. The opening kickoff for starters.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The next time we are going to have a player's revolt can someone let me know ahead of time so I can call up Machina's bookie?
-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If I was any decent coach in one of these other conferences I'd bypass about any opportunity in the PAC to wait for something in a real conference like the other big 4. The PAC is at most a half step up from the mountain west at this point. Arizona isn't much of any step up at all as the worst team in the worst major conference.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:21 am The next time we are going to have a player's revolt can someone let me know ahead of time so I can call up Machina's bookie?
Seriously. If I'd known I'd have cleared out all my savings and retirement to bet on ASU covering. And I have never bet before.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 am Save $2.5M if they fire him next month.
prh wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:03 am There were a number of plays EARLY in the game that the players looked absolutely disinterested in things like actually making a tackle to stop a touchdown or any semblance of pass coverage in the end zone
I mentioned the same thing in the in game thread. Never seen a team trying so hard to lose. It seemed to me to be a passive aggressive Mackovic level revolt. The opening kickoff for starters.
My favorite was (I think) the long TD run. Someone from the secondary was a step behind around the 50 and eased back so much that he got passed by another DB who came from nowhere (and made it look realistic, since he never had a chance to catch the runner anyways)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:26 am If I was any decent coach in one of these other conferences I'd bypass about any opportunity in the PAC to wait for something in a real conference like the other big 4. The PAC is at most a half step up from the mountain west at this point. Arizona isn't much of any step up at all as the worst team in the worst major conference.
We pay better than the MWC. Also have better bowl tie ins. The TV exposure is probably worse though.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Steve Rivera

http://allsportstucson.com/2020/12/11/t ... xRRTUl7Yf8

In a matter of three hours – or 13 seconds after ASU’s D.J. Taylor ran the opening kick back for a touchdown – it was over. And the Twitterverse unleashed a storm, many comments from a disgruntled letterman base calling for Sumlin’s dismissal.

From Shun Brown: CAME IN TALKING ABOUT CHANGING THE CULTURE ! YEA YOU DID THAT FOR SURE ! GETTIN OUR ASS WHOPPED ! IVE BEEN KEEPING MY PEACE SINCE I LEFT AND DID ME WRONG ! BUT YOUR COACHING IS SHIT ! TRUST ME I KNOW BECAUSE I PLAYED FOR YOU !

And Jared Tevis: Can’t even try to be optimistic anymore…We’re not a team with a couple losing seasons, we are a losing program with a losing culture right now. UNACCEPTABLE #BearDown4Life

More ex player comments: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... B0tMPNQzZk
Last edited by Merkin on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:40 am
scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:26 am If I was any decent coach in one of these other conferences I'd bypass about any opportunity in the PAC to wait for something in a real conference like the other big 4. The PAC is at most a half step up from the mountain west at this point. Arizona isn't much of any step up at all as the worst team in the worst major conference.
We pay better than the MWC. Also have better bowl tie ins. The TV exposure is probably worse though.
Yea so we're a hair above a wash. Meh.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Is there any legal problem with openly conducting a head coaching search and openly acknowledging that Sumlin is lame duck and will be fired after the new year when the buyout drops? Take away his keys and and access and tell him to fuck off to Cabo while we try to resuscitate the program he killed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:49 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:16 am Btw I fully believe this was partially a mutiny by the players or at least a majority of them. Take from that what you will. You don't lose to your rivals 70-7. Our team is bad no question, but we weren't this bad, and ASU sure as shit isn't that good.
I don't buy this... not against ASU. Too much personal pride in this game. Just look at the reaction from twitter last night from so many former players. They were disgusted.
I buy it. We lost 70-7 to a winless team. Frankly, we were sort of lucky we only lost 70-7. If ASU didn't take their foot off the gas, they could have put 80-100 on us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:34 am If ASU didn't take their foot off the gas, they could have put 80-100 on us.
If the UA was up, I would have tried to get to 100. Fuck ASU.

Haha, good ol' RichRod with some shade.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:13 am

He wouldn't get $7.5 million off the bat if that's what you're asking. He'd get half of it up front and the other half later. If we tried to fire him for cause then we'd be spending more in lawyer fees and I'm not sure if Arizona wants to do that.

I was thinking more of a negotiated buyout that is less than the 5 million + a years salary since he knows UofA could fire him for cause and it's in everybody's best interest to just move on quietly.
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:13 am

I was thinking more of a negotiated buyout that is less than the 5 million + a years salary since he knows UofA could fire him for cause and it's in everybody's best interest to just move on quietly.
Yeah...Sumlin ain't doing that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How many million has Sumlin earned per win?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's always surprising to me that in the sports coaching realm, being insanely terrible at your job isn't cause.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There is no other profession where being a failure is more rewarded. Maybe being a CEO. When and why did athletic directors cede this kind of power to head coaches? What a pack of idiots.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve been fired for being too good at my job.

Not joking.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:25 am There is no other profession where being a failure is more rewarded. Maybe being a CEO. When and why did athletic directors cede this kind of power to head coaches? What a pack of idiots.
To be fair they ceded it to sports agents.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

My take from back on November 24, 2018

by BBQ wildcat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm I am done! I won't watch another second of Arizona football as long as this shit-ass coaching staff is still here. As far as I am concerned, fire all of their sorry asses right now.

Fucking coaches calling for (failed) 2 point conversions early in the game? Even with the atrocious defensive play calling in the 4th quarter, that was the difference in the game. But going, basically, into a prevent defense for the whole 4th quarter? REALLY? The defense was doing a good job rushing 4 (or more) for 3 quarters. Then you abandon that? Fuck this coaching staff. JUST FUCK THEM!!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:26 am
cordera89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:38 amI dont think recruiting have anything to do with Sumlin Failure to coach.
Recruiting doesn’t matter? :lol:

Cordy, ask your boy RichRod if recruiting matters. Or do you think he just forgot how to coach mid-way through his tenure?

He went 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 with Stoop’s recruits and 7-6, 3-9, 7-6 with his own. He could have built on that Pac12 South championship season and Fiesta Bowl appearance by hitting the recruiting trail hard but instead he let his buddies who were assistants stay by the pool in Tucson and make the bare minimum effort to do any recruiting whatsoever.

Sumlin can’t coach. We see that. But if you also don’t have talent, your coaching deficiencies are going to be magnified.

Sorry Cordy, your boy RR ain’t coming back. I’d tell you to go root for whatever school he’s coaching now but his ass is unemployed. He ain’t the guy you want us to think he is. Quit trying to gaslight.
Hey Chicat ask your boy Sumlin why he screw up for three season if his recruiting was suppose to be legit.

It doesnt matter, Win football game, Doesn't matter if it 5,6 7,8 or 9 or 10. Win football games.

It doesnt matter if your recruiting is good or bad? Win football games.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What the heck? Comments are saying gout.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Why was Heeke given an extension instead of a pink slip?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Why was Heeke given an extension instead of a pink slip?
Because Bobby Robbins doesn't know what he's doing? Just spitballin'
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

At least one good thing came out of that abomination last night.
-JB
Captcarnage

Post by Captcarnage »

So who could we actually get that would come here and make a positive difference?
2014-2015 RAP Football Champion
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I wish we could pry Josh Heupel from UCF. But I couldn’t imagine any reason he would leave them for us.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Is it too much to ask we don't hire another retread? Choo's posts are making me nervous.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Like Choo mentioned I’ve heard Sark and Rick Neuheisel are at the top of list lol.
prh

Post by prh »

Overshadowing a basketball game sounds exactly like something Heeke would do. Since the boosters have blocked from directly destroying that program, that's something he would be able to do.

Is Heeke worse than Larry Scott? Feels like a crazy question but I'm not so sure anymore
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I get why Sark name would come up. West coast ties, not disastrous, cleaned up and worked at Alabama. Not saying I think it’s a good idea.

I have no idea why Rick Neuheisel name gets mentioned for every pac-12 job. Is he looking to be the first head coach fired from every team in a conference?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Please fire Heeke now. And no Sark
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
prh

Post by prh »

I wish they just re-assigned Sumlin in the AD as you sometimes see at other places. Stick in at a desk 9-5 every day and punish him for being fucking disgraceful
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank god that’s over.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Please hire someone like the San Jose St coach or the Oregon DC
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:38 pm Hey Chicat ask your boy Sumlin why he screw up for three season if his recruiting was suppose to be legit.

It doesnt matter, Win football game, Doesn't matter if it 5,6 7,8 or 9 or 10. Win football games.

It doesnt matter if your recruiting is good or bad? Win football games.
We need smarter posters.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mmmmmm.... who has Premium at Rivals?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry, wrong thread.
Last edited by azgreg on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.