Fire Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Fire Sumlin

Post by azgreg »

Sorry, wrong thread.
Last edited by azgreg on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Charlie Ragle LOL. C'mon Justin.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm Mmmmmm.... who has Premium at Rivals?

Humberto Lopez
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

NickyBCats wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:45 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm Mmmmmm.... who has Premium at Rivals?

Humberto Lopez

This guy?:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/humberto-s-lopez-82b15580/
-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So glad that Sumlin is finally gone. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Get one of those young coaches from the MAC. They know know how to win with less and their teams are always competitive it seems.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 am How many million has Sumlin earned per win?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Someone said put him at a desk. I agree. Make him come to work, every day, 8 to 5. Give him a desk and chair, but nothing else. Let him sit until his contract runs out or we break even where payout = remaining salary. Even then, I would make him sit there every day until the end of his contract.
prh

Post by prh »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:05 pm Someone said put him at a desk. I agree. Make him come to work, every day, 8 to 5. Give him a desk and chair, but nothing else. Let him sit until his contract runs out or we break even where payout = remaining salary. Even then, I would make him sit there every day until the end of his contract.
Haha thank you, I was bummed my suggestion got lost in the shuffle. But yeah I want him to suffer. None of this bullshit of being a fired coach living on that buyout. Make him hate life so much that he actually contemplates leaving on his own accord. He's got enough money, does he really want to sit at a desk killing his soul just for a couple more million?

Makes me think of that Office episode where Jim sticks Ryan in the closet. Do that. Literally do exactly that. I'm sure there's somewhere in McKale suitable.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

They should make him watch that final game every day for 8 hours like that scene in A Clockwork Orange:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:05 pm Someone said put him at a desk. I agree. Make him come to work, every day, 8 to 5. Give him a desk and chair, but nothing else. Let him sit until his contract runs out or we break even where payout = remaining salary. Even then, I would make him sit there every day until the end of his contract.
I forgot what coach and what sport it was, but he was made a fund raiser. Just keep Sumlin on the horn all day schmoozing with possible donors, and keep him away from the bottle.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think he's probably a basically good guy. Wish him the best and sorry for us and him it didn't work out here.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 am
I forgot what coach and what sport it was, but he was made a fund raiser. Just keep Sumlin on the horn all day schmoozing with possible donors, and keep him away from the bottle.
Are you thinking from Arizona? Immediate example that comes to mind is Mike Bellotti at Oregon, their boosters wanted Chip Kelly, so they forced him into being the AD for a year before he left for television.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was Sumlin’s buyout paid for by a booster? That was the impression I had, but this article and the quote from Heeke makes it sound like it’s coming out of the AD budget... which is a truly awful look in this year of pandemic-related layoffs and cutbacks.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3930808001 ... ssion=true
The University of Arizona athletic department announced some troubling news last month in Tucson.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Wildcats said they faced $45 million in losses and were forced to make job cuts, including 21 layoffs.

Athletic director Dave Heeke called it “a difficult day of very tough decisions.”

“These challenging economic times have affected all of us,” Heeke said then.

Less than six weeks later, the Wildcats didn’t seem quite as broke. After his football team lost its 12th consecutive game dating to 2019, Heeke fired coach Kevin Sumlin and put Arizona on the hook to pay Sumlin $7.3 million to buy out his contract, half of which is due to Sumlin within 30 days of his termination.
Arizona fired Sumlin after he went 9-20 in three seasons. Asked how his buyout costs square with the financial challenges there, Arizona athletics referred USA TODAY Sports to a statement that said the university will honor Sumlin’s contract “including all buyout provisions, with funding from athletics-generated revenue and sources.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:33 am Was Sumlin’s buyout paid for by a booster? That was the impression I had, but this article and the quote from Heeke makes it sound like it’s coming out of the AD budget... which is a truly awful look in this year of pandemic-related layoffs and cutbacks.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3930808001 ... ssion=true
The University of Arizona athletic department announced some troubling news last month in Tucson.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Wildcats said they faced $45 million in losses and were forced to make job cuts, including 21 layoffs.

Athletic director Dave Heeke called it “a difficult day of very tough decisions.”

“These challenging economic times have affected all of us,” Heeke said then.

Less than six weeks later, the Wildcats didn’t seem quite as broke. After his football team lost its 12th consecutive game dating to 2019, Heeke fired coach Kevin Sumlin and put Arizona on the hook to pay Sumlin $7.3 million to buy out his contract, half of which is due to Sumlin within 30 days of his termination.
Arizona fired Sumlin after he went 9-20 in three seasons. Asked how his buyout costs square with the financial challenges there, Arizona athletics referred USA TODAY Sports to a statement that said the university will honor Sumlin’s contract “including all buyout provisions, with funding from athletics-generated revenue and sources.”
Pretty sure a booster paid a lot of it. Probably goes as a "gift" to the athletic department which they then flip to pay the buyout.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The fact that we are the poster child in this article for athletic departments that cry poverty when laying people off and then turn around and pay a coach millions to go away is a downright goddamn travesty.

I want to blame Heeke and his staff but I’m not 100% sure what the alternative messaging is that would have stopped us from being the lede here. If we just outright said “a booster is paying this” I can’t be sure the question isn’t then asked, “how come you didn’t get a booster to pitch in to stop the layoffs?”

Anyway, I’m sick and tired of being the media’s whipping boy. Auburn paid 3x what we did to fire Malzahn and yet the first fucking words in this article are “The University of Arizona”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Who the hell are these boosters that in such a time of unprecedented unemployment and record amount of people who are currently food insecure in this country, they are donating millions of dollars to pay off a horrible fired coach?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Because the rich only care about themselves and their interests. Poor people and hunger are boring and gross.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:28 am Who the hell are these boosters that in such a time of unprecedented unemployment and record amount of people who are currently food insecure in this country, they are donating millions of dollars to pay off a horrible fired coach?
The pandemic has grossly exacerbated wealth inequality in America; it's repugnant, and this is just one example.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law