New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by cordera89 »

In re UofA wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:40 pm Brennan seems like the right type of gamble for the program. The question now is will he have a bag man so we can get talented players?
Is he thou? 14-29 overall record as SJSU HC. If he lose the MWC title game That 29 lose will be 30 lose. Forget about 6 game win streak he on.

That not gamble, That high risk of 50/50 and plus What world does AD of college football program would choose a HC that losing record overall?

No AD would consider of that being the best hire possible. Just because he has UA slap to his career as college coach doesnt make him a very possible choice to become UA next HC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Larry Smith's first 4 years at Tulane:

2–9
3–8
4–7
9–3
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm
In re UofA wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:40 pm Brennan seems like the right type of gamble for the program. The question now is will he have a bag man so we can get talented players?
Is he thou? 14-29 overall record as SJSU HC. If he lose the MWC title game That 29 lose will be 30 lose. Forget about 6 game win streak he on.

That not gamble, That high risk of 50/50 and plus What world does AD of college football program would choose a HC that losing record overall?

No AD would consider of that being the best hire possible. Just because he has UA slap to his career as college coach doesnt make him a very possible choice to become UA next HC.
Nah, the appeal is he took a bottom feeder and made it undefeated. Which is appealing, given that we're a bottom feeder.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:20 pm Larry Smith's first 4 years at Tulane:

2–9
3–8
4–7
9–3
Why is this comparison a thing? Not all coaches are the same. Hiring a losing coach is a huge gamble that I would be willing to bet is less successful than the opposite
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:56 pm

2–9
3–8
4–7
9–3
Why is this comparison a thing? Not all coaches are the same. Hiring a losing coach is a huge gamble that I would be willing to bet is less successful than the opposite
The point is cordera using Brennan's record to disqualify him. If we used the same criteria we wouldn't have hired the best Arizona coach in my 40 years of following Arizona.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Look, we aren’t getting the perfect candidate. We don’t have the facilities/infrastructure/tradition/money for a coach with multiple undefeated seasons. With what we’re working with, let’s get someone that has proven he can turn a program around rather than an expensive retread that has done less with more.

And bring back the Tomey era uniforms.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yep. I just want someone who cares about building something and doing better and winning. If they don't work out they don't. We're Arizona. It's cheaper and better that way. But at least they cared about putting in the work to succeed. And if they do succeed and move on then I can't be mad about that at all.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:08 pm

2–9
3–8
4–7
9–3
The point is cordera using Brennan's record to disqualify him. If we used the same criteria we wouldn't have hired the best Arizona coach in my 40 years of following Arizona.
Ok your point is taken, I'm not sold on Brennan being logical choice to become our next HC. Who in their right mind would choose below .500 to become the next HC of your football program unless there nobody else that is more qualify to this job.

You bring up Larry Smith during his time sure he was below .500 when he got too UA and did fantastic job But that was 40 year ago. This is different era of college football.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cordera89 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 pm
azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:08 pm

2–9
3–8
4–7
9–3
Ok your point is taken, I'm not sold on Brennan being logical choice to become our next HC. Who in their right mind would choose below .500 to become the next HC of your football program unless there nobody else that is more qualify to this job.

You bring up Larry Smith during his time sure he was below .500 when he got too UA and did fantastic job But that was 40 year ago. This is different era of college football.
Your incessant need to focus on overall record as opposed to obvious progress he made in 4 years is baffling.

Nick Saban’s first 4 years at Michigan State, before he was picked up by LSU:

6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6

He then went 9-2 and got plucked by LSU.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

cordera89 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm

I agree with you Cordy. But if its Brennan, I won't assume its a bad choice, unless he ends up sucking.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

prh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:44 pm Brennan over Hill makes a lot of sense if you are trying to bring Salave'a along as DC. Hill also handled DC duties at Weber State, so I think he'd want his own guy or be more hands on there, which I doubt would be so appealing to Joe.

I just hope that the boosters do like they have with basketball. Tell Heeke that he is guiding the ship but ultimately not the one in final control. Otherwise this may be his last masterpiece of destroying our athletic department.

Here is the messed up thing....it was essentially the boosters that made the Sumlin hire(along with a few whiney players). I hope this doesn't mean Heeke says screw this, I'm hiring who I want to hire.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Anyone know who ponies up the buyout?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

prh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:44 pm Brennan over Hill makes a lot of sense if you are trying to bring Salave'a along as DC. Hill also handled DC duties at Weber State, so I think he'd want his own guy or be more hands on there, which I doubt would be so appealing to Joe.

I just hope that the boosters do like they have with basketball. Tell Heeke that he is guiding the ship but ultimately not the one in final control. Otherwise this may be his last masterpiece of destroying our athletic department.
Nonsense. Nobody is going to hire a coach while telling him who will be his defensive coordinator.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Nonsense. Nobody is going to hire a coach while telling him who will be his defensive coordinator.
Those were two separate thoughts. I would never dream of that, although that is exactly what asu tried and failed to do with Herm. I just don’t trust Heeke to not fuck the department over one more time.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Not that I'm necessarily defending Heeke here, but the rumblings were that Ken N was Heeke's choice but Robbins wanted Sumlin. That's my interpretation anyway, could be wrong.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

DrWildcat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:35 am Not that I'm necessarily defending Heeke here, but the rumblings were that Ken N was Heeke's choice but Robbins wanted Sumlin. That's my interpretation anyway, could be wrong.
If that's the case we are saying that the Athletic Director is actually the President of the University.

That's not any better
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:01 am
DrWildcat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:35 am Not that I'm necessarily defending Heeke here, but the rumblings were that Ken N was Heeke's choice but Robbins wanted Sumlin. That's my interpretation anyway, could be wrong.
If that's the case we are saying that the Athletic Director is actually the President of the University.

That's not any better
I take it as Robbins is a big sports fan and that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, it can become a problem when you have weak people in other positions like the AD. By all accounts Heeke seems like a pretty weak AD who probably doesn't care if he gets walked over. In hindsight though, I think most agreed that Sumlin was a good hire at the time. I know I did.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I thought it was more like the Boosters and a few players(mainly Tate) wanted Sumlin so Robbins forced Heekes hand?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:18 am
I thought it was more like the Boosters and a few players(mainly Tate) wanted Sumlin so Robbins forced Heekes hand?
Could be. Like I said, that was just my interpretation as I don't have any real inside knowledge. My point was to just say that maybe Heeke isn't as bad as he is portrayed to be with respect to the last football hire.

Your statement still makes it seem like Heeke is rather weak though. But at that point, his boss and the people putting up the money want a different guy. What do you do? Maybe he really tried to persuade them on Ken N but couldn't get it done or he didn't try and just said ok, Sumlin it is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Didn't we hear that during the RR era Robbins gave him some plays he drew up and wanted RR to run them?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

While history doesn't always repeat, one reason we study history is so that we learn from past mistakes. Sumlin was a mistake from day one. Arizona had already once hired a coach fired from a Texas school that underachieved with Texas talent, and that was an epic disaster named Mackovic. We repeated the exact same mistake when we hired Sumlin. Fired from a school in Texas, with Texas talent, that always underachieved. Same, disaterous result in Tucson as well!

Again, no guarantee history repeats, but hiring Brennan is like hiring a guy like Larry Smith. Sure, this is a different era of college football than 40 years ago, but the parallels are there. Smith struggled his first three years at Tulane before building a big winner, and translating that into getting the job at Arizona, where he built a winning program. Brennan has struggled his first few years at SJSU, but he's building a winning program, and if he isn't hired away this year, if he wins 9 or 10 next year as expected, he's as good as gone from San Jose.

Brennan is the right kind of guy we need at Arizona. On his way up through the coaching ranks, and already built a smaller team into a winner, even if his overall record isn't fantastic.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 am Didn't we hear that during the RR era Robbins gave him some plays he drew up and wanted RR to run them?
Yup, heard that.

He's probably also the major reason Miller is still here. But I don't think it's a good thing that the president has pretty much taken over the decisions and super involved.

Unfortunately Heeke just got pushed around and now really isn't around and about apparently/involved even day to day activities.

Dude is just floating.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:11 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 am Didn't we hear that during the RR era Robbins gave him some plays he drew up and wanted RR to run them?
Yup, heard that.

He's probably also the major reason Miller is still here. But I don't think it's a good thing that the president has pretty much taken over the decisions and super involved.

Unfortunately Heeke just got pushed around and now really isn't around and about apparently/involved even day to day activities.

Dude is just floating.
I'll gladly float as the UA AD for half his salary. Where do I sign up?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If this is true, that's laugh out loud funny. The balls on this guy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I miss when AG used to drop in here.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

btfd16 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 am
I thought he was trying to give plays to Sumlin but yeah. The sad thing is I could see Sumlin actually trying them out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This is pretty much what occurred.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:10 am
It's worth noting that Robbins has also put the University in such bad financial shape... and this has nothing to do with athletics or Covid.

He has been horrible
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:18 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:10 am
It's worth noting that Robbins has also put the University in such bad financial shape... and this has nothing to do with athletics or Covid.

He has been horrible
He’s way more likely to get canned for that than anything to do with athletics. In fact nothing involving athletics would get him canned, regardless how responsible he is for it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oh I know... I just feel that people love him because he really likes athletics.... but he has been a horrible university president. Financially and also has surrounded himself with lots of white men.... but that’s a whole different story...
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

What has Robbins done wrong?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In re UofA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:09 am What has Robbins done wrong?

You've been gone a while. Search Longhorned's posts.
-JB
TheCatInTheHat

The Name Game

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Reminds me of that old song. The rumor and speculation phase is a gold mine for some media types. "Sources tell me that unless things fall apart, a secret candidate has emerged who could turn out to be the front runner. Subscribe now to find out more." I can do that all day, and I've seen it more times than I care to remember over the past 30 years or so. (That includes gambling sites.) It's just Marketing 101. You also get coaches angling for a raise from their current employer (early on Sitake, etc.) My point is that there's a lot of misinformation floated for various reasons. Maybe in hoops somebody has a few connections with club team types who can provide a little inside stuff on recruiting. I can wait until LOI Day, but whatever. But for this, unless things are unbelievably mismanaged, there should be maybe 5 people at the university who have any real info: Robbins, Heeke, their admins, and maybe one more assistant. If there's a leak, it's a short list during a time of layoffs. And I doubt the small handful of multi-millionaire boosters who might be involved are saying much to people who post on websites. Personally, I hope we're not going to hire the gambling site favorite Salave'a with no head coaching experience or available staff for a P5 job. Love to try him as the DC if he's interested in trying to be the HC in waiting, but that's it. I'm fine with any of the up-and-comers from smaller schools who've been mentioned, but we'll have to wait and see. Hope it's not too long, with all of the transfer portal announcments and de-commits.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Last edited by UAEebs86 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

DrWildcat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am
btfd16 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 am
I thought he was trying to give plays to Sumlin but yeah. The sad thing is I could see Sumlin actually trying them out.
I can see Sumlin bending the knee... RR would say thanks then turn around and rip them up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Norvell is not in the Chicat Top-3.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 am While history doesn't always repeat, one reason we study history is so that we learn from past mistakes. Sumlin was a mistake from day one. Arizona had already once hired a coach fired from a Texas school that underachieved with Texas talent, and that was an epic disaster named Mackovic. We repeated the exact same mistake when we hired Sumlin. Fired from a school in Texas, with Texas talent, that always underachieved. Same, disaterous result in Tucson as well!

Again, no guarantee history repeats, but hiring Brennan is like hiring a guy like Larry Smith. Sure, this is a different era of college football than 40 years ago, but the parallels are there. Smith struggled his first three years at Tulane before building a big winner, and translating that into getting the job at Arizona, where he built a winning program. Brennan has struggled his first few years at SJSU, but he's building a winning program, and if he isn't hired away this year, if he wins 9 or 10 next year as expected, he's as good as gone from San Jose.

Brennan is the right kind of guy we need at Arizona. On his way up through the coaching ranks, and already built a smaller team into a winner, even if his overall record isn't fantastic.
You miss one?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:11 am
In re UofA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:09 am What has Robbins done wrong?

You've been gone a while. Search Longhorned's posts.
I know some of the Robbins smoke, but I've been gone some time too.. Tried search Longhorned's posts but I didn't find anything other than the politics hahah can someone enlighten me? (On Robbins details, not politics lol)
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Can someone please just wake me up and tell me that Chris Petersen is coming out of retirement to fix our broken program?
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Any ideas when we'd make our official decision?
I said what I said and I mean it.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:09 pm Any ideas when we'd make our official decision?
Not until next week. Some of these coaches have games this weekend and UofA isn't going to rush into anything this time.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Basketcats wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am Can someone please just wake me up and tell me that Chris Petersen is coming out of retirement to fix our broken program?
...he's younger than Jay Norvell
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Mystery candidate? Loloksure.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

In re UofA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:37 pm Mystery candidate? Loloksure.
Bill Cowher? Urban Meyer?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cerec_cat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:26 pm
In re UofA wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:37 pm Mystery candidate? Loloksure.
Bill Cowher? Urban Meyer?
Saban's had enough pressure at Alabama and wants to kick back and relax.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

First step before any announcement is that the job posting needs to be listed.