Offensive Line

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BetaCat

Offensive Line

Post by BetaCat »

The OL is thought to be a real cause for concern, yet we failed to pick up any transfers through the portal to provide immediate help. I read this two possible ways:

One, quality Offensive Linemen are a rare commodity and to take one just to bring in another warm body would be wasteful, particularly when there are other glaring needs; and Two, maybe Fisch and Carroll think we can mold the current group into a functional unit. There is a sense that this staff may be superior teachers and developers of talent. One can only hope.

Thoughts?
azcat49

Re: Offensive Line

Post by azcat49 »

Carroll has set himself up to be the assistant of the year with that group. They were so poorly coached last year it was pathetic.

Of course a big part of this year will be having a TE (or double set) helping to block and playing against Dr Blitz every day has to help with us picking up the blitz as teams were relentless against us last year.

Overall I think we are better and we can point to being better coached and I think scheme will help a lot given our use of the TE
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I agree with azcat. Last year the offensive line coach was bragging he had 15 scholarship linemen to work with. Then some sat out and some got hurt and I don't remember if any transferred or not. By the end of the year we were using walkons. On top of that I don't believe they were coached very well. I don't think our linemen have been coached well for the past three years. It wasn't that they couldn't block. The problem is they didn't know who to block or when.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah. They generally sucked bad. There was one particular OL lineman from last year, an upperclassmen, that just didn't play at all to the level a Pac 12 lineman should play. Senior this year. Hope he gets it together.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Former walk on at center, walk on at Guard. Fears couldn’t block a paper bag and no development behind the starters. None of these guys are NFL guys except maybe DL and even he was off. Different blocking scheme will help greatly and the offensive scheme changing as well should add to that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You mean we are going to have an offensive scheme where no blocking is required?

Great! We should thrive under that system.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 am You mean we are going to have an offensive scheme where no blocking is required?

Great! We should thrive under that system.
Can we use smoke bombs to obscure what our offense is doing? Is that against the rules?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »