2022 QB

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

2022 QB

Post by Carcassdragger »

It's just internet banter by people who mostly know nothing (especially when I post) but wondering what everybody is thinking regarding this subject.

To me, I think Delaura should be the front runner, but I'm hoping it's a fair competition and the coaches give MCloud serious consideration. Seems to me that McCloud might have the potential to be a very good QB. I think Fifita might be a serious contender next year, and it might be between him and Will for the third spot this year -although I like Will alot.

Gunner may very well be on his way to another transfer but if he stays, I appreciate his effort very much.

Just what I think, which means less than nothing.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Re: 2022 QB

Post by Merkin »

Hard to keep the PAC-12 Offensive Freshman Player of the Year off the field. Battle will be for 2nd string. I imagine Fifita will get in a max of 4 games to keep his redshirt and McCloud will get the other mop up duty.

Plummer is a true warrior, and deserves a lot of respect for playing through all those injuries. Not sure he will be happy holding the clipboard.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fifita is also comfortable with fellow Poly de Laura being there.

No doubt Fisch consulted with Fifita first, since I believe he promised Fifita he wouldn't recruit another QB, or at least from what I have read here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Biggest hurdle for the WAZZU guy is learning the system. Yes he gets the spring but I am not convinced he will be as sharp as McCloud or Plummer with the offense.

That room is pretty crowded and not sure how they sort out the time. I think Fisch statement about wanting a guy at the end of the spring points to being fair to those who might want to look elsewhere.

I do think by opening night it’s De Lauria and then McCloud with Fafita waiting in the wings.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:44 pm

I do think by opening night it’s De Lauria and then McCloud with Fafita waiting in the wings.
This is exactly how I see it as well. Don't think Plummer or Cruz has a chance
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:44 pm Biggest hurdle for the WAZZU guy is learning the system. Yes he gets the spring but I am not convinced he will be as sharp as McCloud or Plummer with the offense.

That room is pretty crowded and not sure how they sort out the time. I think Fisch statement about wanting a guy at the end of the spring points you being fair to those who might want to look elsewhere.

Jordan only had a few weeks to get ready last year. I’m guessing De Lauria will be fine.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I don't think Fafita is going to play much this year. I think he's going to redshirt unless something really drastic happens. If Cruz hits the transfer portal this will be his second time and he'll lose a year of eligibility. Plummer really progressed during the season but he's still a work in progress and missed seeing a lot of open receivers. McCloud was the most D1 ready QB we had last year but he has the weakest arm of the bunch. I think the WAZZU guy and Plummer will get the closest looks early in Spring with McCloud next and then Cruz. A lot will depend on how things shake out early. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

If de Laura can't win the job we are in trouble. Him building on his freshman year is the only hope we have for a major turn around this year. McCloud was ok in his limited time, but he really didn't do anything great, he was just better than the other bad QBs on the roster. He is also coming off an injury. Plummer improved, but really he went from terrible to bad with flashes of mediocre. Thinking he is fighting for 3rd with Fafita. Fafita has potential, but this year will be a learning experience for him. I think that is likely the best for his development. Cruz...sorry but he just shouldn't see the field.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

McCloud would've done well under RichRod. Reminds me of BJ Denker. Good athlete with a bit of a noodle arm. Running a spread option O with a lot of runs and quick throws, McCloud could be dangerous. But that's not the O we run now, and the other QBs on the roster are not built to run this kind of offense, except maybe Fifita.

With a more pro style O, we need more of a pro style QB. Love Plummer's grit, and Cruz's arm strength, but if de Lauria can't beat them out, I'd be shocked. Neither Plummer nor Cruz looked anywhere close to the level de Lauria played at last year. And I think Fisch's O fits de Lauria even better than the system played at WAZZU last year.

As for Fifita, maybe he gets garbage time in a few games? No more than 4, so we can keep his RS.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:12 pm Hard to keep the PAC-12 Offensive Freshman Player of the Year off the field. Battle will be for 2nd string. I imagine Fifita will get in a max of 4 games to keep his redshirt and McCloud will get the other mop up duty.

Plummer is a true warrior, and deserves a lot of respect for playing through all those injuries. Not sure he will be happy holding the clipboard.
I'd add this. Arizona isn't picking a starting QB with the idea one loss and we're out of the CFP conversation.

This is inherently a building thing, and De Laura has flashed a significantly higher upside than any other contender. If he takes a few games to get the system down, so what? It's not like when you had Hurts and Tagavailoa at Bama and Saban went with experience. De Laura's credentials seem to establish he's the future unless proven otherwise.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:05 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:12 pm Hard to keep the PAC-12 Offensive Freshman Player of the Year off the field. Battle will be for 2nd string. I imagine Fifita will get in a max of 4 games to keep his redshirt and McCloud will get the other mop up duty.

I'd add this. Arizona isn't picking a starting QB with the idea one loss and we're out of the CFP conversation.

This is inherently a building thing, and De Laura has flashed a significantly higher upside than any other contender. If he takes a few games to get the system down, so what? It's not like when you had Hurts and Tagavailoa at Bama and Saban went with experience. De Laura's credentials seem to establish he's the future unless proven otherwise.
This ^^^^^

Last year was "stop the rot"
This year is "stabilize the foundation"
Next year is "do some damage to others"
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Likely would have been 11 or 12 without JDL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion