Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Scooby

Post by MrBug708 »

Different groups of people deciding.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yep. Two that do their homework, one that doesn't.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Wtf is wrong with those Butkus idiots?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The PAC12 defensive POTY race should be pretty interesting with the three LB and Leonard Williams. In the past, they tend to favor value (Sutton over Barr, Kendricks over Chase Thomas) over statistics. They also tend to favor upperclassmen too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Damn I didn't know that he was only a soph.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Pulled from the ESPN Blog:
BEDNARIK AWARD: Given to the top defensive player in college football (again, as considered by the Maxwell Football Club and voting panel).

Arizona linebacker Scooby Wright III -- 126 tackles, 22 TFL, 12 sacks, 5 forced fumbles
Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa -- 43 tackles, 18 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Clemson defensive end Vic Beasley -- 24 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 9 sacks, 1 forced fumble
I wonder if either of the other 2 guys has a better signature play?

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Shouldn't it be that the top defensive player rips the ball from the Heisman winner. Scooby should win this.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

13 Tackles. 2 sacks. 4 TFLS.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:13 Tackles. 2 sacks. 4 TFLS.
And A forced fumble
ghostwhitehorse

3goggles wrote:
ghostwhitehorse wrote:13 Tackles. 2 sacks. 4 TFLS.
And A forced fumble
Yup. 6 for the year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Yeah, but not good enough for the Butkus linebacker list.

FFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck that list's selection people
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ghostwhitehorse

PieceOfMeat wrote:Yeah, but not good enough for the Butkus linebacker list.

FFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck that list's selection people
Somebody needs to email/twitter/whatever Mr. Butkus himself.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I bate to say it, but someone has to....Fuck the Butkus people.

Scooby is short listed on every other defensive list.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Player of the game for me and it isn't even close (no offense Nick).
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

The Butkus voters should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:The Butkus voters should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.
Finalists:

Eric Kendricks, UCLA
Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington
Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.)
Jake Ryan, Michigan
Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame

But only one west coast player has ever won:

1985 Brian Bosworth Oklahoma
1986 Brian Bosworth Oklahoma
1987 Paul McGowan Florida State
1988 Derrick Thomas Alabama
1989 Percy Snow Michigan State
1990 Alfred Williams Colorado
1991 Erick Anderson Michigan
1992 Marvin Jones Florida State
1993 Trev Alberts Nebraska
1994 Dana Howard Illinois
1995 Kevin Hardy Illinois
1996 Matt Russell Colorado
1997 Andy Katzenmoyer Ohio State
1998 Chris Claiborne USC
1999 LaVar Arrington Penn State
2000 Dan Morgan Miami
2001 Rocky Calmus Oklahoma
2002 E.J. Henderson Maryland
2003 Teddy Lehman Oklahoma
2004 Derrick Johnson Texas
2005 Paul Posluszny Penn State
2006 Patrick Willis Ole Miss
2007 James Laurinaitis Ohio State
2008 Aaron Curry Wake Forest
2009 Rolando McClain Alabama
2010 Von Miller Texas A&M
2011 Luke Kuechly Boston College
2012 Manti Te'o Notre Dame
2013 C.J. Mosley Alabama
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have to believe he won some awards today.

Next year he'll be in the peripheral Heisman conversation.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Arizona surprises Oregon, I think Scooby will be flying out for the presentation.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He should win at least the Lombardi or nagurski
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Honestly, is there a better football player in the country right now?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Honestly, is there a better football player in the country right now?

I don't know about football players, but according to the Butkus award people, there's 5 better linebackers.

:lol: :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Forced another fumble, at least I thought that was him that caused the first one that we returned for a score
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:Forced another fumble, at least I thought that was him that caused the first one that we returned for a score
Yeah that was him

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I just read that Scooby had 27 TFL going into the game, and the pac record for a season was 31.5.

and then today, 5 TFL.

::::

Yeah, I'm a dumbass lol. totally misread it on another website. Don't want to jinx it.

Gimino

Post by Gimino »

He has 27 TFLs AFTER the game... and that record of 31.5 is held by Terrell Suggs, so Scooby can wipe a Devil out of the record book. Has two more games to do it (and, well, maybe three games, if you really want to be optimistic).
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Gimino wrote:He has 27 TFLs AFTER the game... and that record of 31.5 is held by Terrell Suggs, so Scooby can wipe a Devil out of the record book. Has two more games to do it (and, well, maybe three games, if you really want to be optimistic).
Ah thanks, guess I read it wrong :lol:

Must be time for bed :)

(what's funny, I didn't even read it in this thread, where I now see it. double d'oh!)

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Scooby is drawing attention now by the national medea. :) This is a long article and here is a clip.

No. 1 on the to-do list for Arizona's Scooby Wright: Dominate
Scooby Wright's road from overlooked recruit to All-America linebacker began with a list, which doesn't come as a surprise: Wright makes lists.

This is true in the specific sense — Wright made a list as a teenager in Windsor, Calif., mapping out his football-playing future, made another during the recruiting process and has since made a third, the latter charting out his goals at Arizona and, for the time being, very hush-hush.

The middle list, a recruiting wish list of his dream schools, helps to describe Wright's path. Ten schools made the cut; nine failed to see a potential contributor amid his status as a two-star prospect.

One was Washington. Wright and his father, Phil, went to Seattle for the Huskies' junior day, meeting with then-coach Steve Sarkisian and assistant Peter Sirmon. He should probably look somewhere else, they told Wright; he wasn't their type of linebacker.

At UCLA, Jim Mora capped a 20-minute conversation by saying the Bruins would be in touch in the next few days. They never called. Then California, and the same story: Then-linebackers coach Kenwick Thompson told Wright he might want to look at a smaller school. Have you thought about Sacramento State?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /70093176/
Last edited by Catintheheat on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Another accolade.

Scooby Wright, the underdog, is the face of Arizona football
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Scooby the Underdog wasn't supposed to be a five-star recruit.

His story still could have turned out well, perhaps really well, if such a rating had been bestowed upon him. Phillip Wright III still had enough drive, enough work ethic, enough "Humble Scooby," as Arizona teammate Will Parks says, to be great if everyone thought he would be great.

But would he be this great? Would Arizona's sophomore linebacker be a front-runner for Pac-12 defensive player of the year, a guaranteed All-American, and a finalist for the national defensive player of the year (Nagurski Trophy) and the Lombardi Award, if he heard how good he would be in recruiting? Would he be the face of an overachieving team, ranked 15th nationally, filled with similarly overlooked players?

"I told our staff," Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said, "we've got to find as many Scooby Wrights as we can. Whatever he was so-called out of high school, you can't say he wasn't a five-star for us."

Wright was a two-star recruit, as his Twitter handle, @twostarscoob, reminds everyone, especially the Pac-12 coaches who viewed him that way coming out of Cardinal Newman High School in Santa Rosa, California. A recruiting process that brought more angst and anger than enjoyment didn't light the fire inside Wright, but it fans the flames every time he plays.

Cal didn't want him. He recorded 18 tackles, including four for loss and two sacks, and a forced fumble in Arizona's win against the Bears.

Washington dragged its feet. Scooby's answer: 11 tackles, 1.5 for loss, in last Saturday's win.

"He plays with that chip," said Matt Dudek, Arizona's director of on-campus recruiting and player personnel. "Like, 'I wasn't good enough for you. Now I'm going to have 19 tackles against you. I'm going to steal the ball three times.'"

When Arizona offered a scholarship in June 2012, Wright had been scheduled to attend camps at Oregon and UCLA. He thought: They never gave me the time of day. Why would I go?

He ended an upset of Oregon on Oct. 2 with a sack-strip-recovery against star quarterback Marcus Mariota. Arizona lost to UCLA, but Wright recorded 19 tackles, 4.5 for loss and three sacks. His numbers against the Pac-12: 84 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, and five forced fumbles.

"It definitely fires me up," said Wright, who leads the nation in tackles for loss per game (2.1) and forced fumbles (5), and ranks third in sacks per game (1.2). "I went to all those combines and stuff. People always questioned my athleticism. I had one of the highest SPARQ scores in the country, like 112.

"It definitely motivated me more, being overlooked."

The overlooked label seemed to suit Wright, even before it was attached. With some exceptions, those told they are great don't approach football like he does.

[+] EnlargeScooby Wright III
Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports
Arizona's Scooby Wright has terrorized Pac-12 foes this season, totaling 84 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, and five forced fumbles.
As an eighth grader, Wright woke up his father, Phil, at 5:30 a.m., four times a week to get a ride to the high school. He would lift weights with the varsity players for an hour, hop back in the car, shower at home, and then head to the other side of town to his middle school for classes.

While at Cardinal Newman, Wright was the last player off the practice field. When he did leave the field, he and defensive coordinator Matt Di Meola would work on pass-rush techniques in Di Meola's backyard, or watch film. They spent many Sundays together, too. By the eighth game of Wright's sophomore year, he was Newman's best player.

"I don't know if we've ever seen a kid attack it like that," Cardinal Newman coach Paul Cronin said. "Scooby was just fanatical. You just think if someone works that hard, it has to work out."

Maybe Wright would have had the same drive as a four- or five-star recruit. But the snubs sharpened him.

"That stuff just ate at him, killed him. That stuff makes him work harder," said his dad, Phil, who coaches softball at Santa Rosa Junior College. "It seems crazy, but he wants to keep proving himself. I don't think it’s because he's mad and upset. He wants to prove people wrong.

"We always laugh and call him 'The Waterboy,' with tackling fuel."

Pac-12 opponents always will be lit matches for that fuel, but Wright's fire burns for Arizona.

He's the team's most recognizable player, both because of his game and his name. The quick backstory: Phil Wright, hoping to avoid the confusion he endured with his own father, started calling his son "Scooby" at a young age. It stuck.

"Ninety percent of people in his high school didn't know his name," Phil Wright said. "The only thing that says Phillip Wright is his driver's license."

He will always be Scooby at Arizona Stadium, where more fans are donning "Scooby's Crew" T-shirts. The T-shirts started with family and friends, but the increased demand led Phil to make several hundred more, and different versions.

Scooby has the fame he never had in high school, although he is not totally comfortable with it. Two days after the UCLA game, he was informed he had won his second consecutive Pac-12 defensive player of the week award. His response: "I don't care. We lost."

Still, he takes nothing for granted.

"He walks up to me after every game and says, 'Thanks for believing in me,'" Dudek said. "He doesn't want to be anywhere else."

Former Wildcats assistant Tony Gibson, now West Virginia's defensive coordinator, first identified Wright in spring 2012. The staff loved his high school highlights, but Rodriguez, aware of Wright's few suitors, wondered, "What are we missing?" He concluded the others were missing out and offered Wright, hoping no one would pick up the scent.

Wright committed June 21, his parents' anniversary.

"It really happened within a week," he said. "I never looked back. There was no gray. They were super straightforward, like, 'I want you.'"

Three days after graduation, Wright arrived at Arizona's campus. He started at outside linebacker as a true freshman and recorded 83 tackles, 9.5 for loss, but "played kind of blind." He wasn't used in pass-rush situations with four down linemen.

So he kept working.

"He was like a young Marine," said Parks, a Wildcats safety. "Most young guys come in timid. He's just got that energy, that Scooby mentality."

Wright is now a fixture in Arizona's third-down package, playing both defensive end and linebacker, as he did in high school. He's the only FBS player in the top 25 averages for tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles.

"It's just something he has a knack for," safeties coach Matt Caponi said. "He's not the most mobile guy, but he's got that nonstop in him."

Wright corresponds with Tedy Bruschi, who, like Wright, was a lightly recruited player from Northern California who landed at Arizona. Bruschi became a two-time consensus All-American, leading the "Desert Swarm" defense.

"Tedy Bruschi was Scooby Wright before Scooby Wright," Rodriguez said.

Bruschi played on good teams, but Wright wants to lead a great team.

The two-star underdog wants to take Arizona to a five-star resort where it has never been: the Rose Bowl.

"That'd be the ultimate goal," he said. "Nobody's going to come back in 20 years and say, 'Oh, you had 20 tackles in this game.' If your team wins, that's all that matters in the end."
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... a-football
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Quite a contrast in post game interviews.

Scooby is a coach's dream, if not a reporters. Humble and team focused. Player interviews are at the 10 min mark.

Bercovici not so much. Always tough to do an interview after a loss, but he has spent too much time listening to Toddy and not enough time watching Bull Durham.

Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Scooby got some love on Game Day this morning. They said his stats are better than Teo's the year he went to New York.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Luckily Rich Rod didn't care that he was only a 2-star recruit. :D
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good For You wrote:Scooby got some love on Game Day this morning. They said his stats are better than Teo's the year he went to New York.
And no fake dead girlfriend.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Main Event wrote:
This is astonishing!! I have stopped being surprised in Scooby, but these numbers are eye-popping. He is having an all-time season!

Go Cats!!
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

That's amazing. So if he has another Scoobyesque performance against Mariotta in front of the whole world Friday, can he get to New York?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Main Event wrote:
Teo was there because Notre Dame was undefeated, not because he put up gaudy stats. They also play different roles on their team.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Well this RR LB recruit did make the Butkus list:
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Teo was there because Notre Dame was undefeated, not because he put up gaudy stats. They also play different roles on their team.
Your justification is lame. Still makes no sense. Scooby is much more important to his team than Teo was.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ghostwhitehorse

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Me too. Had to.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

http://t.co/CuoECWEJNZ

You can vote here as well.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I voted!

the t.co link took forever to load though, this link loaded faster for me http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/ ... /#!/ballot

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I voted!

the t.co link took forever to load though, this link loaded faster for me http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/ ... /#!/ballot
I found if you use a different browser, you can vote more than once a day.

Vote early and vote often!
-JB
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I voted...worthless through espn but he needs an invite.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gilbertcat wrote:I voted...worthless through espn but he needs an invite.
Agree, but it would be so cool for an Arizona player to get an invite. And that might
put him in serious conversation for next year (even though a defensive player never wins it.)
-JB
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

If common sense prevails, Scooby will be the Pac-12 Defensive POY Award winner, All Pac-12 first team defense, First Team All America for every publication, The winner of the Nagurski, Lombardi, and Bednarik awards... He will also have himself a nice spot on the Ring of Honor and a future Jersey Retirement...

The people at the Butkus and Lott Awards should stop handing out an award because Scooby should be the winner of those trophies as well.

He should be a unanimous selection to win all of these things as well. He should also be going to New York but that isn't going to happen so we'll just have to be thrilled that he'll be a top 10 vote getter and considering he's a linebacker I guess thats quite the accomplishment.